5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book about a sad story
Published on November 18, 2011 by Carol Sandoval

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent read
This book by Jeff Ashton was one that I wasn't sure about reading. I had my own convictions in watching and reading about the trial. I was sure than as now that Casey Anthony was guilty. Wasn't sure of the exact guilt, whether she took the life knowingly (I lean in this direction) of the child was found dead and she attempted to hide it. With such preponerance of evidence...
Published on November 25, 2011 by J. Robert Ewbank

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book about a sad story, November 18, 2011
Carol Sandoval "cegiraffe" (Burien, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony (Hardcover)
When I heard that Jeff Ashton was writing a book about the trial of Casey Anthony for the murder of her daughter Caylee, I knew I would buy it as soon as it was released. I followed the case closely, mesmerized, as was much of the country, and I watched a lot of the trial. I did not, however, have high expectations that the book would be well written and informative. It was released only a few months after the end of the trial and written by someone whose background is as an attorney, not a writer, and someone who is adjusting to being retired after a very all-consuming career. I have read other non-fiction books by authors with some of those same qualities and many are clearly in need of more time to reflect on what happened and in need of much more proofreading and the assistance of a good editor. I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. It is extremely well written and provides information in a way that helped me to understand more about Caylee's death and the decisions made in prosecuting Casey for her murder. I especially found the information about the discovery of the body and the processing of the crime scene and conclusions reached from what was found very informative.

Mr. Ashton is certainly not lacking in self-confidence about his work, but I would think a strong ego may be a good quality in an attorney, particularly a trial attorney. Watching the trial, I was very positively impressed with the work of the prosecution and I will never understand the jury's decision. Thank you to all who worked so hard to try to see that Casey was held accountable for killing her daughter and thank you, Mr. Ashton, for taking the first few months of your retirement to help the rest of us gain a better understanding of the crime and the trial. Maybe now, Mr. Ashton will be able to spend some time enjoying his family and spend less time thinking about the side of human nature that he had to face in this case and the other prosecutions he was involved in.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ for anyone who's followed this case!, November 15, 2011
My Amazon (POTTSVILLE, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
The first part of the book is a review of the case facts... stuff that was already hashed up a million times over to anyone who's followed this case. It's a nice refresher course and describes every detail, so anyone who hasn't followed (or our kids who may want to read about it in the future) will know exactly what went on.

At about chapter 13-16 (somewhere around there) it starts getting really good. We get to hear about how sneaky Baez was - you haven't seen half of it til you've read this! Imagine that slimy lawyer we saw on the news and at trial... that was only a fraction of how disgusting he truly is!

There are parts that are funny.. like when Linda Drane Burdick dressed up in a "Casey Anthony" costume (blue hoodie with the number 82 from Target & white sunglasses) as a joke for the ride to jury selection...

Wow.. just read the book - you won't be disappointed - well, you might become 10000 times angrier at Baez and Casey and hate them a lot more lol They even explain how the fake drowning/molestation story came about.

Kudos to Mr. Ashton for writing this book. I truly hope it helped him to heal... it was obvious that his emotions got the best of him (all fo them) Mr. Ashton, Ms. Burdick & Mr. George are Caylee's heros.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and worth the read, November 16, 2011
I work in Orlando & grew up in the area. I watched this case from day one & was immediately impressed by Jeff Ashton. I read a sample of the book on my Kindle and was immediately drawn in; I had to buy it. I can relate to a lot of the descriptions and surroundings he talks about in FL and love his insight on his career and his impression of the defense. I would absolutely say this is a must read of you are at all still interested in this case and on the team of knowing this woman is guilty of murdering her child. Reading this makes me want to go to law school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, December 2, 2011
I loved this book!

I followed this case relentlessly! I read all 2500 documents of evidence, the 837 pages of jail house letters and watched every minute of the trial but this book still told me stuff that I didn't know. When the trial was over I mentioned to my husband that I would love to sit down and have lunch with Jeff Ashton and chat about the behind the scenes that I didn't get to see, I would love detective Yuri Melich to be in that lunch too. Anyway this book made me feel like I went to lunch with Jeff Ashton and told all that he could possibly tell.

The evidence - it breaks it down for you, what happened in 31 days, what the police thought and the problems they had with the Anthonys. Not a whole lot of new stuff in this section if you watched the trial and read articles online and studied the timeline. But it did give insight as to what the detectives were thinking and of course Ashton's point of view of the whole thing.

The Trial - It discusses everything that happened to prepare for the trial and gives Jose Baez a real beating (he deserves it, don't worry.) All pre-trial information was new information to me and it even goes into detail about Casey Anthony and how Casey 4.0 was developed (the lie that actually went to trial) it was more horrible than what Baez actually presented in his opening statement. The trial itself I watched everyday and Ashton does a good job summing it up and giving his point of view, plus he discusses what went on in the side bars that we weren't able to hear.

The Jury - They didn't do their job. Period. Ashton also goes into detail about each Juror and his personal thoughts on their decision. He is alot more candid and frank in this book than he is in interviews.

The Epilogue made me cry. I'm still affected by this decision. It saddens me that her lies once again worked and her slimy lawyer won this case. I still don't think it will have clients knocking at his door though.

A note to Ashton - (Though I doubt he will read this.) Your fan base isn't because you were associated with someone who was famous (casey.) It was because we loved what you were doing for Caylee. You stood up for her when no one else would. It should never take 31 days to report a child missing and I guess Casey had everyone fooled but it's still hard to believe thatit took 31 days for the grandparents to catch on. Team Caylee!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read! Ashton nails it!, November 15, 2011
This review is from: Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony (Hardcover)
Let me start by saying I watched every day of the Casey Anthony Trial, watched all the talking head news shows, and thought I knew everything about this case. Ashton managed to put new and fresh information in the book that most people will have never known. It's easy to read, it follows a timeline making it easy to picture how events were unfolding. I adored Jeff Ashton's passion during the trial and it also shines through in his book. This is a really, really good book for anyone interested in this particular case, juries, or true life crime. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony is Perfect!, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony (Hardcover)
I followed the case religiously for three years & was shocked, hurt, bewildered at the not guilty verdict. I can only imagine what Jeff Ashton & the state felt, a man who pored his heart & soul into the case, proved Casey's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt only to have 12 pinheads come back with an unforgivable not guilty verdict. This is a side of the story that needed to be told. I have a feeling the writing of the book was a cleansing experience for Ashton. I didn't think Ashton's book would tell me anything new, but I learned at least 7 new facts about the case, and they are really hard to swallow if you care about Caylee. The last chapter was so sad, Ashton really pored his heart out about the jury's inexplicable verdict & how Cindy chose Casey over Caylee & helped set her guilty daughter free with her perjury. If it's possible for me to hate Casey anymore, this book did it. She's a remorseless psychopath with not one redeeming quality, a slick one behind the scenes that ran the show. An innocent, blubbering waif when the jurors were in the room. An angry, bossy, in charge dictator when they were gone.

Much like an exorcism Ashton needed to purge all the evil that is Casey, her sick headed Mother, her dirty scumbag lawyers & the 12 brain-dead jurors from his head. He'll never get over the loss but I'm sure laying it all out in the book was good for his mental health. And I think it will deflate any book of lies Casey or her grifter parents or crooked lawyers might try to sell to make blood money from Caylee's death.

Ashton writes that the jurors were "coddled" and "pampered" and, most damning, completely wrong in their decision. Ashton contends that the state only needed to prove that Caylee was, indeed, murdered. In that regard, he says that the circumstantial evidence against Casey was overwhelming -- but the jurors simply didn't care.

"What I find truly baffling," Ashton notes, "is that somehow they did not see proof enough to convict her of a lesser murder charge or even manslaughter."

Gina M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a rehash of stuff you already know, November 16, 2011
This review is from: Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony (Hardcover)
I found this book interesting because it provided background on what went on before the trial and during the many "sidebars" that had not been reported before. The antics from Jose that we observed in court was the just tip of the iceburg! I'm surprised that Judge Perry didn't throw him out of the courtroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Read, November 21, 2011
I almost didn't buy this book but now I am really glad I did. The verdict in this case was so disappointing and I really didn't want to have to think about Casey again. But I still had a lot of questions so I decided to get the book and read through it a little. I very hesitantly started reading this book and quickly could not put it down. I was not only intrigued by the new details on the case that Jeff presents, but I loved reading things from his perspective. Jeff is an author I could very much relate to. Not only his views on the case but personally. His character is very charming and has depth. I didn't feel that he was trying to be misleading or please his reader. His words felt very real to me and his emotions really understandable.

Many people complain that Jeff "bashes" Jose Baez and tries to put the blames on others. I don't see it that way at all. Jeff certainly has a clear distain for Jose but for very valid reasons that he lays out. He also explains why he doesn't agree with the verdict. He does not just sit there like a baby and complain as some people seem to imply. His comments and ideas were developed, sometimes a little sarcastic and funny but these were the best parts.

The point is, if you want to read a completely unbiased report of Casey's case, don't read this book. If you want to read a personal, insightful, and compelling story about Casey's case from a very experienced and brilliant attorney that knows first hand every detail about this case, buy this book :)

My only wish was that his last chapter be a little longer. I enjoyed reading his thoughts on how he viewed the verdict from the jury and I wanted to read more of his ideas. I also really appreciated that in the end he had a good message for his readers. I hope he writes another book!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is SUPERB!!! Jose Baez is SLIME, he should go back to selling bikini's!, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony (Hardcover)
I LOVED THIS BOOK! I wasn't one of these people who watched every second of the trial, but I did keep up to date as it progressed. I, like 99% of this country felt that Casey absolutely got away with murder. I think that the reason that the prosecution was unable to convince the jury was because little Caylee laid in that swamp for 6 months and all the evidence was washed away. So, the lesson learned was this: if you want to get away with murder like Casey did, all you have to do is LIE. Lie your ass off and buy time for evidence to be destroyed, then hire THE MOST SLEAZY lawyer you can find. Let said lawyer make a complete mockery of our justice system, fabricate all sorts of bogus stories, completely waste everyone's time and money on ludicrous motions and filings and like Casey, never EVER tell the truth. Simple as that!
I think Jeff Ashton has every right to his opinions and every right to tell the story. Jose Baez is obviously a scumbag, everyone already knew that, Mr. Ashton just confirmed it. Anyone who followed this case even slightly is interested in the behind the scenes action that went on and Jeff Ashtom simply filled us in. I guarantee you, the defense attorney's will be next to publish, but we all know they are all PROVEN LIARS and PROVEN SLEAZEBALLS. So, I for one will NEVER purchase a book and give my money to anyone who helped a child murderer go free.
I like how honest Mr. Ashton was in telling the whole story. He definitely had no problem pointing out his and the rest of the prosecutions flaws and mistakes. Yes, he is very angry with Jose Baez and when you finish the book you'll understand completely why that is. Jose is a very shady and dishonest character and is clearly unethical and immoral. A child was MURDERED and the murderer got off scot free, of course he's angry!!! We're talking about a dead 2 year old!!! I just can't wrap my brain around these reviewers making comments about Jeff Ashton just being angry and wanting to "whine" about it.
All you NORMAL people out there: all you need to know is that this book is a FANTASTIC read! I could not put it down. There is a LOT of information in this book that we didn't hear about during the trial and you will not regret buying this book. EXCELLENT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, worth the read, November 16, 2011
This review is from: Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony (Hardcover)
I purchased this book last night on my kindle and couldn't put it down. I was concerned that it was going to be full of lawyer terms that alot of regular people would'nt understand. Jeff Ashton did an excellent job, he takes you back through the entire process starting when the first 911 call came in. He takes you on his whole journey through the trail and the events leading up to it. As some one that lives in Central Florida this really hit home. I couldn't put the book down and you probably wont be able to either.

Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony
Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony by Lisa Pulitzer (Hardcover - November 15, 2011)
$26.99 $18.89
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.