Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Dark Souls: The Official Guide forum

Important Info Missing from the Guide

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2011 12:15:02 PM PDT
Etc says:
I don't understand why they left so much stuff out. For instance, it recommends that you go to The Great Hollow, but it doesn't bother telling you where it is. This might be acceptable if the entrance was obvious, but it turns out that it's hidden along a secret path in the middle of a poison swamp behind two breakable secret walls. Seriously?

And some of the omissions are just bizarre. It tells you that you need to sacrifice humanity to the Daughter of Chaos to level up your allegiance with their covenant, but it doesn't tell you how much you need to sacrifice. Again, this might not be a big deal if it was some small amount, or if the game itself told you (which it doesn't), but it turns out that you need to sacrifice THIRTY. That information would be very useful to know before you start wasting your humanity.

Some of the advice the guide gives you is ill timed and frustratingly vague as well. At one point, it advises you to go down to the bottom of this swamp area, and once you reach the end, it tells you that if you have the warp ability, you can just return to the firelink shrine. If not, you have to backtrack all the way. So, how about telling me where the warp ability is, so I can be sure to get that next because it sounds like it would be a very useful ability to have?! Nope. No explanation on where to go to get it.

Great. The guide is still very useful, and I would recommend it to anyone playing this incredibly difficult and confusing game, but come on!!!

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 8:52:39 PM PDT
Future Press says:
Hi Etc, thanks for the post. We'll comment on your points shortly. Cheers!

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 9:47:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2011 10:03:28 PM PDT
Future Press says:
Here are some responses to your points:

The Great Hollow: The explanation of how to enter the Great Hollow is in the Blighttown - Lower Levels section (Point 3) since that's where the entrance is. You can see on the first Great Hollow map that the entrance leads back to Blighttown, and on the last Blighttown map you'll find the Great Hollow entrance near Point 3, so it's easy to work out where the relevant text is. It would have helped to add a reference at the start of the Great Hollow text, though, so you're right about that.

The Chaos Servant Covenant: You're probably referring to the small table in the Game System chapter about uses for Humanity where we describe using 1 Humanity at a time to level up the Covenant. We put the detailed info in the Covenant Characters section in the Extras chapter, so you'll find the explanation there about having to use 30 Humanity in total.

The Warp Ability: That's probably one of many examples where we were avoiding spoilers, since the warp ability isn't something you can just go and get. It's linked to a point in the game's story, so anyone that has got past that point would know what was being referred to. We could have avoided mentioning it at all and can totally see how it could be annoying to have it unexplained, but it was there to help make players aware of the easiest route to a later area once you get the ability.

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 12:42:26 AM PDT
Catalyst says:
Oh wow, i just want to post to say i'm surprised that Future Press is even covering things here. Great customer service guys! You may of earned a new customer. :)

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 1:33:39 AM PDT
vietguy1127 says:
their problem is not the content of the guide but actually getting it to retailer on time so that it can be shipped out. maybe there should be some sort of timeline for preorders. why should ppl preorder when they dont even get their product on time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 5:43:32 AM PDT
DAMIEN says:
Message for Future Press,

Backtracking to the The Great Hollow.

The section about inquiring the dragon head stone and torso, you said, " if you have ability to warp you can use the bonfire here to get straight back to the Firelink Shrine, otherwise you need to backtrack manually all the way back out". You didn't explained what steps you need to travel back. For example, when I was backtracking, you walk up several large mushrooms, then you climb up two short ladders, and here's the hard part, I couldn't find the third ladder it took me about 45 min (the ladder was camolflouge against the wall), and once i found it where I need to go I hit another dead end; when you are walking up a big tree branch there's a section the won't allow you to move forward (invisible wall) so I had to do a roll towards the left side corner.

Maybe the warp ability should have been explained earlier in the guide because this would have save time for a lot of players like myself to figure out how to backtrack in the great hollow.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2011 2:32:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2011 2:49:36 AM PDT
Etc says:
Regarding the location of The Great Hollow, even the index only mentions the page where the level is described, and there's no mention of what general location it's even in. If you're lost at this point, the only option is to search the entire book for clues, at which point you MIGHT find the small mention tab in the description of Blighttown. Hopefully you somehow know that it's even in that general vicinity. This is a difficult resource to get that information from, and after fruitlessly scanning the index and a bunch of pages, I found enough info to find it online. I'm still perplexed as to why there wasn't a more helpful way of discovering this bit of crucial info in the book though.

I'm really unsure if I'm just missing something about the Chaos Servant/daughter though. In the extras chapter, where it has a special section about the character, it mentions that you need to give her humanity to level up your covenant standing, but I've just double checked and nowhere does it mention how much you need to give. Is there a page I'm missing?! And even then, this is obfuscated by the layout. Again, if I'm lost, I go to the index, and I'm not finding the information I'm looking for in any of the related areas.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to reveal spoilers about the warp ability, but given that you recommend people travel to the Great Hollow/Ash Lake before obtaining it, and then mention it at the very end, it's just a bit frustrating to be coy about the location at that point. Also, I would personally offer that the Great Hollow is an INCREDIBLY obnoxious area to get through, and I found myself at the bottom, cursed, and incapable of continuing. So, I just tried to "backtrack" as was recommended, but nowhere did the guide mention that there's some strange glitch/invisible-wall preventing a streamlined venture back, and that when you reach it, you need to (bizarrely) roll towards the edge to the left in order to continue.
This area in particular seems to be unnecessary to explore at this level/point, and would be better visited at a later point in the game, once you HAVE the warp ability, which comes to the player as part of the regular game progression... rather than alerting the player that eventually they might get some ability called warp, but let's not talk about it. Given that the area is easily revisited via a shortcut from the Firelink Shrine, why suggest that people go there first before getting the warp ability, when the warp ability is given to you in the NEXT level?!

Look, I don't mean to bash the guide at all. I need it, it's helped me incredibly, and it's an invaluable aid to getting through this game. It's incredibly detailed, slick, and full of useful info. Just, in the future, if you're creating a guide of this level of complexity, you can't expect that people are going to have carefully read every segment. When they need help, they simply NEED IT. The areas that address that help need to at least give them a point to reference.

These three points I brought up aren't the only issues I've had, but they were the ones I was frustrated with at the time, and yes, I guess in the internet age, if we're having a specific issue like this, we can always resort to google, and the answer will hopefully be there. Still, I found it strange that the area guides generally never explained where the basic entry way was at the beginning of the section, etc.

Perhaps I'm complaining about something that is relatively unnecessary, given that this is a game supplemented additionally by a vast internet wiki page, but I'm just curious why some of these details are omitted from the section they're discussing. It would require only a short explanation, or even a reference (eg. in blighttown, see page #135 or whatever, note 3).

I know I'm probably coming across as obnoxious to the people who put so much hard work into this guide, and I don't want to. I would like to congratulate you guys on making a great and necessary guide for an incredibly complex game.

Still, if there's a page in the guide that tells me I need to give the Daughter of Chaos/Chaos Servant 30 humanities in order to level up, what page is it? I've scoured the guide for the info since your response, and I still can't find it. At this point I guess it's just curiosity, but really, this info is TRULY hidden.

I appreciate your response, and just so you know I'm not someone who is unnecessarily whining without reason, I want to stress again that you guys did a good job, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the guide to someone getting the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 10:56:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2011 10:57:35 PM PDT
DAMIEN says:
The guide does mention how much humanity needs to be given to the Convenant of the Daughter of Chaos; page 309 ( the last paragraph).

However, this particular info was explained in the NPC chapter but in the Solaire of Astora section not Daughter of Chaos.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 12:58:06 PM PDT
Jon Q says:
On pg. 315 of the guide is where you'll find general information about Covenant Characters. It tells you which items are required to level up, how much of it is needed per level, the benefits of joining, as well as the disadvantages.

I avoided these areas until after I rang the Second Bell, Complete Sens Fortress, and Anor Londo to get the Warp Ablility from the princess.
-Tomb Of Giants
-The Great Hollow
-Ash Lake
-New Londo Ruins(except for the Blacksmith)
-Demon Ruins

I hope this helps. I believe the it is better to tackle the earlier parts of the game without following the guide too much, but that's just my opinion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Oct 12, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 31, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dark Souls: The Official Guide
Dark Souls: The Official Guide by Future Press (Hardcover - October 4, 2011)
4.6 out of 5 stars (163)