Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2011 4:23:20 PM PDT
In an answer to a question, the author wrote:

"Some things, like homelessness or genocide, aren't highly clickable but are highly important."

And why would these things be important to anyone who isn't homeless or on the receiving end of genocide (notice I didn't say "victim")?

I could spend the rest of my life and every dime of my money "fighting" these two things and wouldn't make a dent in their occurance.

I don't have a problem with the author being interested in helping the homeless. I don't know what he would do about genocide, but whatever he does, I hope he's happy with it.

However, to make the statement that they're "highly important" presupposes that they're important to everyone other than himself.

I disagree.

I know that I'll be called cold and heartless, and various other names, but face the facts... These things are not my (or your) problems. They're the problems of the recipients.

If you are interested in helping those people, by all means go for it. I'm sure it's important to you.

Unless these things are happening to me or people I care about, it's not important or even interesting to me.

(I don't watch the news either...)

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2011 6:38:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 9, 2011 6:14:01 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 10:36:17 PM PDT
It is important if you think that everyone in the world should not suffer from genocide or hunger. These things are preventable and not necessary with so much technology now, which enable humanity to feed everyone and provide energy for everyone, won't go into details.
It is important because living in Earth is not only about ourselves, we are all one. If you beleive in god, he would want you to care, not that I believe in a deity, I am atheist. Living is more than caring for yourself. It is about having an impact on many other peoples live. If you live for yourself, you don't contribute to the world, nobody will care you lived, you might not care. I don't know you or care much at all.
Because living is not about how rich you are, there is a lot more to life than making money that the materialistic world we live in makes us beleive.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 8:00:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2011 8:01:32 AM PDT
I do think that everyone in the world should not suffer from genocide or hunger. However, what can I do about it? As I posted initially, I could spend every waking hour for the rest of my life, and every dime of my money "fighting" these two things and it wouldn't make a dent in their occurrance. I'm interested in my family, my friends and myself. My world. The things that are happening to everyone else are not my concern. They are responsible for their own lives, as I'm responsible for my own. Being concerned about genocide and hunger is the same as being concerned about a car wreck on the other side of town. Not my problem and I'm not concerned in the least.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  May 25, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from You
The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from You by Eli Pariser (Hardcover - May 12, 2011)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (74)