5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for hunters and anti-hunters alike.
Published on December 13, 1998 by Joe Dickens (Rivertrol1@aol.com)

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled and incoherent, I'm sad to say
I have always been into the outdoors and am an avid hiker/rafter/rock climber, so I thought I would enjoy this book. From the reviews below, I expected a rich celebration of the outdoors from a seasoned sportsman. Instead, I found a series of unrelated, rather convoluted explanations that seemed to make the curious argument that hunting is good only because animal...
Published on April 16, 2003 by C. Riley

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for hunters and anti-hunters alike., December 13, 1998
Joe Dickens (Rivertrol1@aol.com) (Falls of Rough, Kentucky, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today (Paperback)
This book is the best I have ever read on the subject on hunting. It is interspersed with various quotes, sometimes from individuals quoted by the anti-hunting movement, and hard facts. On the surface, it is a thoroughly logical rebuttal of the anit-hunting movement and explanation of moden hunting. However, it also contains a window into the hunter's soul, powerfully speaking to those of us who have hunted. It explains the seemingly strange and paradoxical love for nature that so many hunters possess and, in as eloquent and thorough a way as can be done within the constraints of language. This book corrects many common misconceptions about hunting, and provides plenty of food for thought. There is a clear call to action for hunters and non-hunters alike. Anyone who plans to attack or actively defend hunting should first read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, October 11, 2005
This review is from: In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today (Paperback)
A great book that examines hunting from an economic, cultural, and philosophical perspective. As a hunter it made me question my sport and left me with a deeper appreciation of the outdoors. As a nonhunter and member of various "animal rights" groups, I was told by my sister that it helped her to understand why I hunt and that she enjoyed the book even though she remains a nonhunter. An excellent book regardless of your agenda.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare insight into a longstanding way of life., August 13, 1997
teachr2@pathway.net (Pennsylvania,United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today (Paperback)
Dr. Swan's book, In Defense of Hunting, offers a true insight into what for many is a way of life. Although few if any in our society hunt by neccessity, many are drawn to hunting with a passion that exceeds the kind of feelings typically held for other leisure activities. Dr. Swan delves into the reasons and meanings behind these strong bonds. In addition to offering sound defenses for hunting, he offers, insight into the issues that surround hunting in a modern society. His ability to merge the pschological, historical and social aspects of hunting with today's political environment is valuable reading for anyone who loves the sport and hope to see it survive through future generations

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth About Hunting and Hunters., January 14, 2004
Todd (Green River, WY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Defense of Hunting (Hardcover)
Finally there is a book that gives an honest look at the hunt, hunters and why we hunt. No question that the most ardent guardians of our world and our environment are the hunters. This book explores the thoughts, feelings and motivations behind hunters. It also discusses the unfair judgements placed on hunters by the anti-hunting and animal rights movement. By the time the reader finishes this work, they are given a much greater understanding of the hunter and the hunt. A must read for all who hunt and all who love the outdoors.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the bests to prepare for an ignorant anti-hunter., March 19, 2002
Cork Graham "corksoutdoors dotcom" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today (Paperback)
A journalist and book reviewer in the Bay Area, I was one of the first receive this book. I was immensely impressed by the level of research Mr. Swan had put into this book. For those of us who actually did our own research, too, it was good know that a book of this quality and accuracy was available, one that paints an honest picture of animal rights group agendas, and puts hunting in its proper light. It's a sad fact that something as basic, and inherent to the human condition as hunting, and true wildlife conservation(not something as unnatural as preservation), has become politicized by groups that seek only to fill the coffers and pay the rent of organization's leaders in New York and San Francisco (all while living off the good intentions of young college kids, who by their misplaced idealisms are paid cheaply): ever wonder why all these organizations pop-up mainly trying to save soft and cuddly animals--completely ignoring much more endangered, but ugly, creatures; and ever wonder why those animals hardly ever get off the endangered list? You'll learn not only about this sham put on the public, but also how these groups efforts are leading to the extinction of those truly endangered: The mountain Lion Foundation (MLF) has legally prevented the California DFG from taking measures to prevent the heavily overpopulated California mountain lion from decimating a herd of desert bighorn sheep in Southern California. According to leader of the MLF, the bighorn sheep isn't worth saving: so much for looking out for wildlife, eh? And as for those two reviews with the one star, I hope that you're not diswayed from purchasing this book them, as this is one of the many tactics used by anti-hunting organizations to misinform the unknowing public. But, hey, if you buy this book, you'll learn all those secrets that anti-conservation groups like PETA and the MLF use, and hope you never even get a hint of what they're up to: remember when they picketed Red Lobster because they didn't want you eating lobster as it was too painful for lobster? That's only the tip of the iceberg.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all hunters., December 4, 1998
This review is from: In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today (Paperback)
This book presents a view of hunting not only from a hunter's standpoint, but from a biological and environmental standpoint. I think all kids should read this book, or read it with mom or dad, to really understand the necessity of hunting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the Hunter in all of Us, June 11, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today (Paperback)
Through recounts of simple experiences afield, Dr. Swan relates, hopefully, to the nonhunter why many of us take to the field. He explores the hunter's instinct and the spirituality of the hunt in a manner all of us can easily read and "chew on" to decide if we are being true to ourselves in how we conduct our lives in a world driven by money and controlled by nature. He teaches us the hypocrisy of some extremist anti-hunting organizations and the irony surrounding their unsound characterizations of hunters. Dr. Swan's analyses and experiences allow a better understanding of these organizations and a better understanding of ourselves as consumptive users of wildlife, so we may all begin to get our message across to America that we as hunters are answering the instinctual call of the hunt, take pride in our activities afield, and in fact are the most experienced and dedicated stewards of the land

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, March 27, 2003
This review is from: In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today (Paperback)
I read this book in late 2002 when people were always asking me why I hunted and why I liked it so much. It was very helpful to hear someone else put into words what I felt but couldn't articulate.
This book clearly spells out the dangerous agenda of animal rights groups, how they exist merely to perpetuate themselves and how little they actually do for wildlife conservation. He does this without personal attacks or bias, but with statistical facts, and personal examples. This book is very well-written despite what some people have posted hear.
There is also a spiritual side to the book that honors animals and nature like I've never heared from an anti-hunter. This author truly lives in nature and loves nature, like all hunters do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roots, October 24, 2007
Emily Morris (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today (Paperback)
This book takes us back to the roots of hunting, and shows us how hunters experience a connection to nature that is completely unknown to modern hunters. If you want something on the spiritual side of hunting, buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars All Hunters & Fisherman May Have Been Created Equally, May 1, 2013
But they don't stay that way. As a veteran of the California MLPA war on outdoorsman I found great personal insights as to what kind of hunter/fisherman I am in this book.

In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today
In Defense of Hunting: Yesterday and Today by James A. Swan (Paperback - September 1, 1995)
$15.99 $11.20