5.0 out of 5 stars Great movement, November 15, 2010
This review is from: In Evening Air (Audio CD)
This album seems hard on the ears at first: the voice is something like a black womanized version of frank black + tom waits (which honestly sounds better with every listen.) You'll probably get hooked on the initial guitar rhythm of "vireo's eye" which is really quite a good song (though to be honest there may be better songs on the album, such as "long flight" for instance.) But really, please get this album (any way you can) because it's worth it. The sound work is really well done, instrumentation has great diversity of what some would call 'indi-electro-pop' but to me it just sounds like originality. The album does have a strange cohesion, mostly in just how groovin these tunes can be. Tempo changes will make some skip to the tracks they prefer, but by the time I listened to this album on loop for about a couple hours, I ended up giving a positive rating for 7 out of the albums' 9 tracks, not because all are vibrantly-poppy, but because they are 7 really listenable and enjoyable songs. I found the simplicity of some of the lyrics to be my favorite parts, as well as the slightly off-kilter gramatical phrasing of words (reminiscent a little of weezer blue album style of songwriting)
Please, please get this album. Definitely a fine album for the decade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Future is the Time to Think About the Past, January 25, 2011
This review is from: In Evening Air (Audio CD)
I am a bit stunned that, in the currently saturated music media, this record didn't get more attention. I'm not normally a great fan of the Thrill Jockey label because many of its flagship bands' concentration on texture comes at the expense of songcraft, to the point that the songs become a bit bland and samey (think The Sea and Cake). But this stuff is totally different. I'd file this band's sound between Crystal Castles and Wild Nothing; it's got a chaos to it, a weird noise that reminds me of the former group but a focus on texture and ambiance that reminds me of the latter. So it's electro, and it probably sounds really great on drugs, but I'm not sure it's going to light up the dance floors as much as Crystal Castles might.

What really makes this LP even more original, though, is the vocals. They remind me of those of fellow Baltimorons Wilderness, a sort of throaty, unhinged scraping from the lead singer. I would also compare the vocals to those of The Twilight Sad, even if the accent isn't Scottish but some strange lampooning of a European accent. I mean, I would guess that the frothing-at-the-mouth singing style on "Tin Man" is a mean-spirited parody of something, but I don't know what. Who knows what he's talking about, even though you can make out the lyrics pretty clearly. I'm into it, though. I'm into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked!, October 4, 2011
This review is from: In Evening Air (MP3 Music)
I recently heard "Vireo's Eye" and just had to have it! Because it's so good I didn't mind buying the whole album to get it. What I came away with is a diverse collection of pieces - all different moods and pulses. I love all but one of them. And I still LIKE that one! What a find! I can't get "Tin Man" out of my head! ... and I don't want to... ! These tunes are haunting and moving. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, January 17, 2013
This review is from: In Evening Air [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
A theatrical blend of powerful lyrics and 80's esque electro vibe. Seen these guys live twice and they never dissapoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album. Great Band, May 16, 2014
This review is from: In Evening Air [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
I ended up buying this album at one of their shows and got it signed. This band is awesome and they are the nicest dudes ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must listen album for lovers of synth or new wave., December 12, 2013
This review is from: In Evening Air (Audio CD)
Dark vocals with catchy hooks make this synth-heavy album a new regular on my play list. Hard to find in stores for the Amazon price.

5.0 out of 5 stars In Evening Air, October 30, 2013
This review is from: In Evening Air (MP3 Music)
Wonderful album. Saw these guys live and bought it instantly. Every song is great. "Inch of Dust" is my personal favorite. You most definitely won't be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 14, 2014
This review is from: In Evening Air (Audio CD)
Love this album. May be old but is absolute quality, original sounds and totally provocative.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love this group .., December 8, 2014
This review is from: In Evening Air (Audio CD)
Very difference style to other bands .. Not included in a particular box

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., November 23, 2014
This review is from: In Evening Air [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
Epic album. Quality vinyl. Shipped quickly. Great product.

In Evening Air