Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: In the Fiddler's House
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 23, 2002
I love this Itzhak Perlman CD...from the first time I listened to it, I was enchanted! I had never really known about klezmer (Jewish) music before, and this CD was a wonderful introduction to it. Klezmer is very emotional music, and Itzhak and his "friends" certainly bring that into the music. The violin and the other instruments are very mournful and soulful on some pieces-making them sound very haunting and "East European"-almost Persian. Other songs are party or celebration songs, played with wild abandon and zaniness-they really make you want to dance the hora! The instrumental side of "In the Fiddler's House" isn't the only great thing-the singing really adds to the CD. The vocals are in Yiddish (a very neat-sounding language) and go even further to make this CD a real "Jewish experience." The best thing about this CD? You absolutely do not have to be Jewish to enjoy it! I'm not, and I still can't get enough of this unique and soulful music...you'll be hooked once you hear it, too!
on September 26, 2002
I recently rediscovered this CD (my mom had purchased about three years ago) and put it into my stereo just to see what it would be like. Little did I know that I was in for a huge - and pleasant - surprise!
"In the Fiddler's House" is what you might hear if you went to a Jewish person's house. It has that intimate, personal feeling. All the songs are great: some are fast, some are slow, some are a little in between. Overall it's a fantastic CD that can be enjoyed whether you're Jewish or not.
I would have to say that undoubtedly track 4 "Wedding Medley" is the best track on the CD (I'm listening to it as I write this). The combination of songs is not only seamless, but gives the song a feeling of surprise. The voices and instruments on this track are very, very lively and fun.
Buy this CD (or at least listen to some of the audio samples) and you'll discover the hidden surprises of Itzhak Perlman's "In the Fiddler's House"!
on August 30, 1999
Being a big fan of Klezmer, and having many ties to it ethnically, I think that this CD compliments any collection. It is truly an auditory wonder.
on November 18, 2015
Vibrant, lively music, great for around the holidays to liven up the atmosphere, esp. when you're stuck in the kitchen cooking, baking umpteen #'s of main courses & desserts for hours on end! Very upbeat & sure to put a smile on your face!!
on January 11, 2015
One of the things I like best about klezmer music is that it is so cheerful even though it is written in a minor key. This starts out with sad music, which made me hesitant about it, though it is lovely, but the second half is the happy stuff. So, worth the money, but not completely what I expected.
on October 14, 2014
I am not Jewish but have always enjoyed the feel of this music. I enjoy listening to it and it make me feel good. I don't have enough knowledge about this type of music to say if the choices are the best or are played with but I have enjoyed this CD.
on December 16, 2011
If you're only buying the download and not the cds like me, there's a 2-CD version that also includes the "Live in the Fiddler's House" recording which are 18 more songs on top of this for only a few dollars more. I jumped the gun on this one without digging around at all and I wish I had. The title of the one I mentioned is "Perlman plays Klezmer". I bought this one for just under $10 so I felt a little burned that this appears much higher in the listings when the other one contains the same material and then some for only a few $$ more. Fortunately, amazon was good to deal with about making an adjustment so I could get the whole thing minus the price I paid for this download.

IF you're getting the cd version, "Perlman plays Klezmer" also ends up being nearly the same price as this and includes a DVD about Klezmer music in addition to the two audio cd's. I strongly recommend you at least take a look at that version before buying this one.
on January 22, 2000
This is a fabulous album, full of the most wonderful virtuoso playing. Have bought several copies to give to friends and relatives.
on November 9, 2011
This album is a treat. Anyone familiar with Itzhak Perlman will understand how nice it is to see (hear) him in this setting, playing traditional Jewish music.
I myself am not Jewish. I bought this album because I'm a huge fan of Perlman's work with classical music and because I simply enjoy the music. It's joyous, beautiful, soulful music. Itzhak has a plethora of spectacular musicians backing him up and it's so fun to listen to him in this loose, playful musical setting.
If you like traditional Jewish music, then this is a given. Just get the album. If you're like me, just someone who can appreciate really good music in general, then you'll probably enjoy it too.
on October 10, 1998
A fun, uplifting collection of music that makes you wish you really knew Yiddish. Full of "Oy, Oy, Oy"'s (what else do you expect with klezmer?). And full of spirit.