Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on October 26, 2013
I always finish my books, but I'm about 60% of the way through this one and am not sure if I can take it any more. The writing is poor and tedious with its overfocus on the minute details of the business transactions. But I think what got to me more was how whiny she comes off in the book; she does a thorough job of pointing fingers for blame and complaining about how bad her life is and how much worse it's going to get throughout the book, while at the same time talking about her she's paying for a half-a-million dollar wedding, jetsetting with celebrities, and so on. This is a tedious, and on top of it all, irritating read because of Tamara's seemingly endless complaining and blaming.
on October 16, 2013
While I read about 3-6 books a week, both for work (in publishing) and pleasure, most of the books I read are history/biography/memoirs that are about people who have made substantial contributions to the world. I have a weak place in my heart for women like Slim Keith, C..Z Guest, Babe Paley, Mona Von Bismark, Wallis Simpson all the way down to Athenais De Montespan, Madame Du Barry and Eleanor of Aquitaine. So, this book seemed like it would be entertaining, and a fun read. I was NOT looking for any self-help or career advice in it. I don't know why anyone would.
Having said that I must also say that I have almost NEVER written a review (good or bad) about a book I have read (either for work or for my own enjoyment)
Now:
Tamara Mellon and her "co-author" can't write well. Nor can they pull off making Tamara seem anything other than a horrid individual, albeit one who helped bring great shoes to the forefront of the world's attention. Unlike Andie Sachs in A Devil Wears Prada I give credit to the men and women who work in the fashion industry, and recognize it as an important business.
I have met and worked with many strong, independent women who have struggled (in many cases during harder times than the 1990s when women had it difficult for many reasons), and usually these women are...eccentric, and can be downright rude, brusque or even mean. However, Tamara not only comes off as all of those, but she's one other thing...whiny. She comes off like a wounded bird who has built up anger for so, so, so many people (whose names she loves to drop) that she "wrote" this book possibly on the advice of her therapist for some sort of catharsis. I've worked with household names who may have made me go home and rant for an hour about how horrible they were, but at least they didn't whine about EVERYTHING in their ENTIRE life and then go on to be mean.
I almost never put down a book (especially a slim volume) before I've finished, and I almost made it through this piece of rubbish before it had to go into a chest that will probably never see the light of day again. It's not even a fun gossipy trashy book, but more the rantings of a woman who is probably one of the most unpleasant women you would run across.
I have no doubt that she should be proud of what she's accomplished, but I think the story would be much better if it were written as a graceful approach at those she seems wronged by (nearly everyone on earth). Instead of spewing venom, and poorly spewed at best.
Please DO NOT read this if you are looking for business advice. You won't find much here.
Please DO NOT buy this if you are looking for gossip trashy name dropping, because there are SO many other books you can get that are more substantial and more fun than this. This just makes you angry.
Please DO NOT buy this if you are a fan of Jimmy Choo shoes, Tamara isn't a fan of Jimmy or his (or her) shoes.
33 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2014
This book is kinda slow and rather a self centered project by the author. Throughout the book she makes herself sound like a diamond in the rough who blossoms into a fashion genius against all odds. When it comes down to it she had a great idea to market shoes and was lucky enough to have a rich family to help her market ideas that were not even of her creation. Did not even finish reading yet.
on December 27, 2014
Tamara drops a lot of names and numbers, so what narrative there is is difficult to follow. I am glad that this book ended on a positive note. It highlights how women are taken advantage of in business even when the business and brand was their idea and the result of their hard work. I am sure she is stronger for the experience and wish her luck in her future endeavors.
on March 2, 2015
I really loved this book! I thought it was very candidly and sharply written.You can see how hard it is to succeed in business as a woman, and having the mother she had made it even more difficult to stand up for herself. I think it is ridiculous that some critics state that she can't complain because she had a wealthy upbringing! So rich children don't have a right to be happy and loved? The point of this book is that even if she had a difficult family situation, she made a life for herself by working hard and working on herself! Good for her! And very inspiring to others!
on October 10, 2013
Picked it up for the dish (yes, it's there) but ended up with a handbook on how to -- and not to -- navigate the business world as a female and a novice. Ms. Mellon spares nothing and no one in dissecting her rise to the top and problems encountered on the climb and at the supposed summit. Every turn, from sociopathic mum to devious business associates (lookin' at you, Mr. Choo) to doomed marriage to evil colleagues, is chronicled in somewhat of a poor me description but still an interesting story I finished in one sitting.

Would especially recommend to young female entrepreneurs.
on August 6, 2015
Whilst its an interesting story of the behind the scenes in the creation of Jimmy Choo the narrative reads (at least to me) as one long complaint. I feel this was more a cathartic exercise for the author than a book for the public
on January 2, 2014
I liked this a lot and had a hard time putting it down, but at times there was too much detail about the Private Equity companies. Also, she seemed to always be a victim and never really provided much insight into why her mother disliked her so much. It would have been interesting to hear more about her theories. Was her mother jealous of her fathers attention to Tamara? Did her father notice that her mother did not treat her well? Why would he tolerate that? Why did her brothers dislike her? What else happened with Matthew? More of this and less of the PE stuff would have made it perfect. In short, I liked the book and I liked Tamara.
on September 23, 2014
Couldn't believe I actually finished the book.
Not only was it quite uninspiring. It felt as if the book was all about pointing fingers at others.
The only good part was it did give a glipmse (but a very small one) into how a fashion corporation is run.
Wouldn't recommend to anyone.
on December 3, 2013
I completely disagree with the reviewers who found the book to be no more than a bunch of whining by a poor little rich girl. I found Mellon's candor and lack of a filter rather refreshing. Maybe she will regret some statements (surely some of her friends atecoffended by how she describes them) but I enjoyed reading about how she built up an iconic brand. It isn't "business advice 101" but there are life lessons in her story. Of course, she has an agenda - never too soon to create interest and a buzz about your next venture - but I'm still looking forward to hearing what she does post-Jimmy Choo. Taken as one of many female entrepreneurs, she definitely has something to add to the conversation.