4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Addicting
Timbaland and Hip Hop have been slowly letting America get to know Keri Hilson. Her CD, In a Perfect World...has been greatly anticipated by die hard fans, but the delay was well worth the wait.

From appearing on various tracks with various rap and hip hop artists, Keri Hilson has been letting the public get acquainted with her vocal talent.

In a...
Published on March 26, 2009 by Alan Huynh

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 stars, therefore, it's not a perfect world
Published on May 19, 2009 by Mikeisha Best

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Addicting, March 26, 2009
This review is from: In a Perfect World... (Audio CD)

In a Perfect World is by no means a perfect album, however, all the tracks are easy and enjoyable on the ears. The album, however, has a couple stand out tracks. Most notably, are "Knock you Down," "Slow Dance," "Turning me on," and "Change Me" are truly addicting. You will find yourself listening to these tracks or skipping to them not because the rest of the album is bad, but because those songs are that good.

Keri's voice is incredibly hot and sexy. Does she display vocal range in the album? Not really, but she doesn't need too because the lyrics and her voice are incredible.

Her slow songs, "Tell him the Truth" and "Where did he Go" or stellar slow tracks, but lets be honest her production team is at it's best bringing out club hits.

So if you're looking for an album that will keep you awake and pumped for a long drive, get this cd because it offers enough variety and stellar songs that you will be pumped for the drive.

This is by no means a perfect album, but if this is her first try and is the tip of the iceberg, I can't wait for her sophomore effort!

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Debut Album - 4 Stars, April 7, 2009
This review is from: In a Perfect World... (Audio CD)
Keri Hilson proves herself a true contender in the R&B industry with her excellent debut album, IN A PERFECT WORLD. While she is sexy and makes for a "commercial" artist, she also has compelling vocals backing up her sexiness (if that makes any sense). She isn't the powerhouse of say Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige, or even dance-pop/R&B diva Beyonce, but she has more vocal prowess than say Ciara (not knocking her). Vocally, she reminds me of Aaliyah to an extent, filling a certain sound that has been missing in R&B. She's not the second coming mind you, but she is a refreshing voice in a genre that lately has been "a bit tired" (See last years Grammy's nominees in comparison to a couple of years back). Not a perfect debut, and maybe sometimes a bit too pop-heavy, it is overall well rounded, particularly by more sensual, slower numbers and even harder hip-hop oriented tracks.

After "Intro" (cliched on every R&B/Hip-Hop album since the Ice Ages), Keri gets the party started with the hip-hop heavy hitter "Turnin' Me On", the first track to give Keri her own hit. Sure "Energy" was a fine track, but it failed at radio. "Turnin Me On" was destined to be a hit - it featured Lil Wayne. The production by Polow Da Don is exceptional here, and Keri sounds fantastic. "Get Your Money Up" keeps the momentum going hard, featuring Keyshia Cole and Trina. Catchy, stupid, and simple, it is a worthwhile listen. Production again stands out, with Hilson's somewhat skinny vocals blending well within the production. Similarly, Keri's vocals are buried within Timbaland's production work on "Return the Favor" which is nearly as good as the first two tracks if a bit long. In this instance, she sounds good mixed within the production as opposed to being on top of it- every producer's trick with dance cuts. Following "Return the Favor", one more flashy cut, though slightly slower (and the third single) "Knock You Down" features the ubiquitous 'gentleman' Ne-Yo and a rapping (can you believe it?) Kanye West. Solid in every way, Keri is at the front of the production here, letting her soprano vocals shimmer over the production work. Ne-Yo sounds as refined as ever and Kanye is Kanye - but I'm glad to hear him rapping and expect another hip-hop album from him soon.

"Slow Dance" truly allows for Keri to shine, letting her vocals run solo as opposed to collaborating with someone else - four tracks of collaborations was a bit heavy at the forefront of a solo album in my eyes. She proves she has the chops here, commanding this well-produced ditty. Even more alluring is it's stronger follow-up, "Make Love" where Hilson gets an A+ not only vocally, but for sensualness; she truly makes the song sound sexy without having to be explicit, something that used to be so easy for R&B singers. "Intuition" returns Hilson to more a more uptempo number. The production is top-rate (she is on Timbaland's label), but the song is middle-of-the-road in comparison to the best. It's average. The hip-hop cut "How Does It Feel" re-energizes IN A PERFECT WORLD with one of Hilson's best vocals and one of the most memorable productions of the album.

"Alienated" is solid, but not the best of the album. "Tell Him The Truth" is solid as well, if underwhelming compared to the best. The Akon feature "Change Me" shows why Akon may be waning the slightest bit as it comes off as only so-so. "Energy", the forgotten but polished first single from IN A PERFECT WORLD restores some lost momentum, with "Where Did He Go", the closing track, ending the album on a high note.

Again, not perfect, but a strong debut that is enjoyable. It doesn't beat The-Dream's LOVE VS. MONEY for best R&B album released in 2009 as of yet, but it does place very highly as far as I'm concerned. Keri, you are "turnin' me on" with your fine debut. 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of Tight Hooks and Melodic Jams, March 24, 2009
This review is from: In a Perfect World... (Audio CD)
Keri Hilson's "In a Perfect World" may not be perfect - too many lackluster songs toward the end of the record prevent that from being the case - but there is a ton of good music here. This album has been several years in the making, and her fans have been waiting a long time for this. Many of the club-oriented dance jams hit the mark, including the Timbaland collaboration "Return the Favor," as well as the bouncy jam "Get Your Money Up," which features the talents of Keyshia Cole and Trina. The hit singles "Turnin Me On" and "Energy" are also winners.

Several of the ballads recall neo-80's tributes to Prince (Slow Dance) and Janet Jackson (Make Love), while others stick to the basic formula of Polow/Danja. Two things hold this album back from being a five-star affair, the first being that several of the album's latter tracks fail to pick up any steam (as hard as it tries, the track "Tell Him the Truth" and the Akon collaboration "Change Me" never develops a killer hook), and particularly the album's closing track, "Where Did he Go" is just tacked on filler. In addition, Hilson tries to project two different images on the album's artwork. By the looks of the photo on the back cover (which features a sports-bra-wearing Hilson draped in bling featuring a dirty south necklace)one might be inclined to think the songs would sound like Rasheeda or Foxy Brown. But that is far from the case; this is strictly a pop record in which the songs follow a basic pop formula. At it's finest, the album would compare favorably to many others released in this genre this year. It only comes up short due to a lack of consistent songs. But there is more than enough here to make it well worth repeated listens. Hilson's voice is sugary-sweet and she comes across as seductive without trying too hard to be. And those are qualities of a veteran recording artist, so the sky is the limit for this young talent if she can come up with a few more songs next time around that hit immediately and leave a lasting impact. This is a very good pop/r&b record, nothing more and nothing less.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 stars, therefore, it's not a perfect world, May 19, 2009
Mikeisha Best (Mitchellville, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In a Perfect World... (Audio CD)
There was so much hype surrounding Keri Hilson because she has written for other artists and because she kept releasing songs but postponing her album. I liked her after a few listens of "Energy" and after listening to her debut, "In a Perfect World", "Energy" is, by far, her best song. I expected a lot more from her lyrically, creatively and production-wise, but, unfortunately, I did not get what I expected. I just knew I would grant this album 4 or 5 stars. No can do. It's not good enough for such a high rating.

Hilson gives ballad lovers a little something with songs like "Slow Dance", "Where Did He Go" and "Tell Him the Truth." She has a few mid-tempos like "Energy" and "Turnin' Me On." But, more than anything there are fast tracks like "Knocks You Down", "Get Your Money Up" and "Return the Favor." I know that Hilson has written songs for others, but she is VERY influenced by other artists like Beyonce', Prince and Ciara. I don't know which artist is the originial, Keri or the others, since she has written for other people. What I do know is that "Energy" is very creative and I wish that she would have been that creative with the entire album. There is so much Timbaland stamped her that it isn't even funny. "Get Your Money Up" is a decent song, but it's a big gold digger-ish. This song is telling men that they need more than what they already have if they plan on impressing her. Lil Wayne does a fine job with "Turnin' Me On." He really makes the song a lot better with his well-thought out rhyme.

This CD will last throughout 2009, but it is not a classic and it will not stand the test of time. Keri Hilson's overall talent is quite undeniable, but sadly, the best of Keri is yet to come; surely it isn't on this mediocre debut.

Mikeisha's Top 5

1. "Energy"
2. "Knocks You Down"
3. "Make Love"
4. "Intuition"
5. "Slow Dance"

5.0 out of 5 stars Rihanna Who?, March 24, 2009
This review is from: In a Perfect World... (Audio CD)
Pop/R&B perfection at it's finest! I must admit I was a bit skeptical about Ms. Keri when I started hearing about her...didn't find her to be all that impressive. But after hearing "Turnin Me On" so much she grew on me. I was gonna download this for sure but after hearing the complete version on her myspace page she definitely turned me into a fan. The songs are great the production (Polow, Timberland and Danja? Can you get any better???) is great and so are the lyrics (Sassy Catchy Hooks)What really did it for me is her voice. She's no Mariah Carey or anything but her voice is CRAZY. It's different, it's got a little range and she does it so well without over doing it. She's just a natural. What I love the most is the fact that she can do a pop song and keep her R&B edge. Ms. Hilson if you were aiming for perfection Mission Accomplished!

Best Tracks

Intuition
How Does it Feel
Energy

3.0 out of 5 stars A little better then Rihanna!, March 29, 2009
I really like Turnin me on and I liked her hit song with TImbaland. So I was excited to actually listen to this cd. I found that she's almost copying off of rihanna as far as vocals go, and I didn't realize how similiar she's trying to sound like her. So that made me alittle disappointed. I will say that I think she's a better version of Rihanna. The production work on this album is one word...slick. This is a very highly produced pop album, and I think it's so-so. I thought Engery stunk, it was like Michelle Willams "we break the dawn". And you can see they both failed. Slow Dance was ok. Get Your Money had to be my favorite track and I think that could be another hit for her. The production work on it is great. Overall, i think she's trying way to hard to compete with the hottest music stars by making this album. It would have been nice to see her tone it down a bit like Mariah or Janet's latest albums and not seem to overdone! If somebody's actually looking for great workout music then this is a good cd to get!

4.0 out of 5 stars Her piranha bites; that's for sure..., July 15, 2009
Andrew Ellington (I'm kind of everywhere) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: In a Perfect World... (Audio CD)
I never thought that I'd say this, but being a guy has its limitations. For the mere fact that I am not of the female persuasion I cannot get away with having two of my favorite songs as ringtones, and this realization kinda put me in a bad mood the other night. Now, one of those songs is Taylor Swift's `Love Story', but more importantly (beings that we are speaking about Keri Hilson right now) I really want `Turnin Me On' as my ringtone. I mean, that song never gets old (and I should know beings that I heard it nearly 15 times the other weekend clubbin' and each and every time it came on the dance floor was PACKED). So, with that song fresh on my brain almost 24-7 I decided that I really needed this album (I don't know why it's taken so long).

I'm gonna break it down for you now.

There are a few things I've noticed about Keri after listening to her album (and checking out her album notes and photos). Keri is not the best of anything. She does not have the smoothest vocals; and on a few tracks her limitations are pretty clear. She is also not the most attractive singer out there. That isn't to say she's not pretty, she's just not a knock out. But, what is apparent is that she has swagger (I feel so weird using that term, but it is appropriate). She has attitude, and that comes across, not just in her looks but also in her voice. So, while she is no where near as beautiful or as vocally talented as, say, Ashanti, she is more commercial and more interesting. While I find that there are a few `filler' tracks on this album I can't say that I would necessarily skip any of them (or at least most of them). `Filler' or not, they are all interesting to a respectable degree.

So, track for track, this is `In a Perfect World' from best to worst (for me).

I'm going to forego the `Intro' since really, that's all it is. It is a decent intro, and it fades well into `Turnin' Me On' so it's good; but it's not much of a song so I'm not going to bother grading it.

#1. For me, the best track here is pretty easy to spot. Just let the intro finish and bleed into the club dynamo known as `Turnin' Me On'. I think I've already expressed my adoration of this track, but whatever. Can I say more? Sure. The track is a perfect blend of silky sensuality and gangsta swagger; with Keri crushing those vocals to an insanely catchy beat and Lil' Wayne contributing a guest rap that only he could deliver. I don't see me ever getting tired of this song.

#2. Stark contrast to the stylings of the former, `Make Love' is simple, sweet and slow; but perfectly so. Keri's vocals sound better here than they do on the entirety of the album, and her strength carries through in the lyrics, which are tender yet powerful. She sets a mood and delivers beautifully. It's the type of love ballad that gives you chills. This is yet another song that, well, turns me on, but in a different way.

#3. Enlisting the help of one of my favorite young singers (and one who fits almost the same mold as Keri), Keyshia Cole; Keri makes `Get Your Money Up' a worthy run off of `Turnin' Me On'. Like the first single, `Get Your Money Up' is tailor made for the club and works wonders for your dancing libido. The beat is heavy, the vocals are smooth (Keyshia is BRILLIANT) and Trina's rap run at the end has just the right edge to make this all come together beautifully. It's a flawless collaboration.

#4. I have mixed feelings about this next track, because it is partially my favorite and partially my least favorite track on the album. I understand that Kanye is talented, but he is such a tool and I am so over him. That said, I still enjoy his music. That's why it baffles me to hear what he contributes to the track `Knock You Down', which Kanye aside is perfect. His lyrics are weak, his rapping is tired; his name dropping is ridiculous. But, when you factor him out of the equation; the beat is great, the vocals are great, Ne-Yo is flawless, the message and sincere; the song is great and I love it; minus the pompous jerk. So, I put it here, at number 4, but I'm torn since part of me wants it at number 2 and the other half of me wants it at number 8 or so.

#5. The Timberlake produced `Slow Dance' hits all the right spots; and why wouldn't it. Justin Timberlake knows how to make good music; I don't think anyone can dispute that. Keri Hilson knows how to make good music as well. Put them together and you get a sweet and infectious slow jam that croons in all the right places. This is one of those tracks that exposes Keri's vocal limitations, but it also showcases why her attitude is so important, for the track still works beautifully thanks to the way she squeezes every ounce of personality into each word.

#6. I'm like in love with Akon. I just think that he has the perfect voice, so it's obvious that `Change Me' is a favorite of mine. In all actuality my least favorite part of the song is his solo at the end (why are you yelling at me) but the rest of the track is blissful. I also really like the message, and the downtempo bridge by Keri at the end is a nice change of pace. Love it, all of it.

#7. Feeling like a blast from the past, `Energy' feels like a mid-nineties ballad from a group like SWV or someone like that. I LOVE it. Keri fits right into that groove; much like Leona Lewis did last year. Consider it a nice throwback to the music that paved the way for Keri to do what she loves.

#8. With a heavy beat and Keri's vocal's appearing more silky smooth than they do almost anywhere else, `How Does it Feel' is the best of the `filler'. The track is not original or very eye-catching in itself, but it works well for what it is. It will get you moving and it's definitely not a track you'll be quick to skip past. I do label it `filler' though, because it doesn't really bring anything new or vital to the album, but I like it.

#9. Feeling like it's stripped from the late Aalyah's catalogue of musical achievements, `Intuition' is a very comfortable track. I'd probably say that it is `filler', since it sounds very familiar, but it isn't a bad kind of familiar. The beat sounds like old fashioned R&B but it works for this particular song. I'm a fan.

#10. It's far from a `filler' track, but it's also the one track that has taken a long time to do anything for me. `Return the Favor' sports guest vocals from the beat master Timbaland, and so I really expected to love this. The beat is cool and different, but Timbaland is not a vocal genius and he kind of wares on me here. It's just no where near as interesting or as inspired as I wanted it to be. After a few listens it has grown on me though, so I've bumped it up a notch. I just feel that this coupling could have produced a better result (and it has, on Timbaland's album).

#11. If it weren't for the slick chorus lines I would have put this further down on the list, but it gets brownie points for trying to be different. Keri's vocals are really poor during the verses. I think she did that on purpose, but it's not a decision I would have made. Even though it's not that great, I still can't get it out of my system. Go figure.

#12&13. I'm lumping together `Where Did He Go' and `Tell Him the Truth' because they both suffer from the same problem; they aren't memorable. I'd even go as far as to say that they are boring. I just don't really enjoy either of these tracks. I love a good ballad, but the steady unchanging beat takes away from my enjoyment and makes both tracks feel repetitive and draining. My interest is lost quickly and I find myself reaching for the skip button.

So, in the end this is a very good album. It has a few low points, but they are very few. Like I said, even the bulk of the `filler' is still enjoyable. Despite the two forgettable tracks and the disappointing Timbaland collaboration, `In a Perfect World' is a worthwhile purchase; one that will bring you a lot of satisfaction. She has a knack for creating music people want to listen to, whether it be penning the lyrics for other singers or dipping her hands in the sing-machine herself. I cannot wait to see what else Keri has in store for us.

This girl is really turnin' me on.

4.0 out of 5 stars She Turning Me On, December 6, 2009
This review is from: In a Perfect World... (Audio CD)
Keri Hilson has gone from being behind the scenes and crafting and writing records for other artists to being a star in her own right. Hailing from Atlanta Georgia, Keri Hilson's debut album In A Perfect World is one you would like to experience.

While certainly having many high profile appearances (Timbaland, Rich Boy etc) before this album as well as after, Keri exudes the confidence and attitude needed to succeed. She's an extremely talented writer as well and while her voice isn't as strong as some of her peers such as LeToya or Amerie, she still manages to sing with feeling and passion and make songs that fully get the best of her vocals. With the help of Polow Da Don and Timbaland's team of producers it's needless to say that the production is on point. The album has guests on a few songs; Keyshia Cole & Trina appear on Get Your Money Up, Lil Wayne on Turning Me On, Kanye West & NE-YO on Knock You Down, and Akon On Change Me.

In A Perfect World is a great introduction to Keri Hilson but it's not perfect. She touches all bases on this album and because of that some of the songs tend to reach. Get Your Money Up is a horrible song in my opinion and Return The Favor does nothing at all for me. The rest of the songs are pretty good with Knock You Down and Where Did He Go being the knockouts.

Keri Hilson is definitely an artist worth checking for and I'm excited to know that she is back in the studio working on her second album because if it expands on IN A PERFECT WORLD, it will no doubt be a great record. 4 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3-1/2 stars -- Solid debut, January 3, 2010
This review is from: In a Perfect World... (Audio CD)
Timbaland protégée Keri Hilson had been the subject of honey-sings-the-chorus tracks as far back as 2004 but she didn't seem to get any REAL attention until she helped Timbo deliver "The Way I Are". Not only that, but her own album kept repeatedly getting pushed back; fortunately, In a Perfect World was finally released last May.

Though Keri might not sound a whole lot different than a lot of other R&B songstresses out right now, this album still has a number of gems. Such tracks include "Energy" and "Slow Dance", and "Make Love" makes me wish I was her man. The singles "Knock You Down" and "Turnin Me On" are also good, but the latter is so overplayed that I usually skip past it on the CD.

There are also a few mindless club tracks though. The obligatory song for the ladies, "Get Your Money Up" (with Keyshia Cole and Trina), is a little strange, and "Change Me" features some unnecessary oversinging from Akon. And it's hard to ignore the fact that the back-and-forth-dialogue style of "Return the Favor" was already used much better in Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous" -- by the way, why is there thirty seconds of dead space after that song ends?

The album also loses a little bit of steam on the second half (with the exception of the aforementioned "Energy"), not that the songs are wack or anything. Even so, In a Perfect World is a long-awaited start to a promising career.

Anthony Rupert

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice!!!, July 16, 2009
This review is from: In a Perfect World... (Audio CD)
It's taken months for me to review this album because when I first heard it I didn't care to give it a chance. Upon first listen, I was disappointed to hear the beginning of the album. Her intro into the album alone disappointed me as she was trying to come of kinda thuggish. But I finally said let me listen to this album and see why there's 4 stars for it and after listening, I can finally see why.

Keri is damn talented. Her voice is like a breath of fresh air. I honestly think she made an album that can relate to everyone. She did a little R&B, Pop, Dance and overall I think it worked for her. After finally giving the album a listen, I can't stop playing it. The beats are on point, having Timbaland behind you, will definitely help in that department but songs like Slow Dance, Tell Him the Truth and Knock You Down show why Keri is here to stay. She sings her heart out on these joints and it showcases the vocal ability that puts her head to head with Beyonce. I must say my favourite song is Intuition. She tells of how she feels her man is playing her and she'll be single again if she finds out it's true. Other songs like How Does It Feel and Change Me are nice tracks. Her adlibs are phenomenal and for some reason the bridges on her songs get me. Keri has proved she's here to stay.

In a Perfect World...
In a Perfect World... by Keri Hilson (Audio CD - 2009)