5.0 out of 5 stars What a ride!
Published 22 months ago by Aino Shperber

3.0 out of 5 stars something's missing
Published 21 months ago by Marjan

5.0 out of 5 stars What a ride!, September 16, 2012
I don't feel compelled to write reviews very often. But I do tonight. Just turned my tablet off, having finished my kindle version of this book, got out of bed, it's close to midnight, but yes. That's how nice it was to read this book. OK, so you might say it's commercial. You might say he is just trying to milk the golden calf just a little longer. It might be true. Or not. I like to think not. I can hear a most authentic voice coming out of these pages - of a young man's rise to stardom and him getting totally lost. Oh so lost. The lovely part is this - there IS someone watching over us from above or perhaps it was Mom Jean's prayers that finally came through and helped him pull out of it all. This is a fantastic story how a lost soul finds peace. Despite of stardom. For those of us who has "followed" JT for many years, since he was plastered on our walls and up until now when we all have grey hairs and a few more wrinkles - well, it's been a blast to hear his voice coming through and getting to know him a little better in these pages. Well done John - that was a very good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars something's missing, October 7, 2012
John was on my bedroomwalls in the eighties. I always favoured him. Waiting for this book to come out it I read Andy's first (assuming it was going to be bad) and of course once I read Johns book there was going to be a comparison. Loved the story but once the story got to the important personal bits it felt as though there was emotion, detail and personality missing, like he did not want to write it. In Andy's book this was much more present. Do not get me wrong it is an entertaining read and when you read both books it gives you are more complete picture but you do finish the book somewhat unfulfilled, needing more info and depth!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, October 5, 2012
Deanna Hutchins (Renmark, South Australia) - See all my reviews
Wow! So much I didn't know about JT! As a teenage fan in the 80's, all I knew was the poster boy clean cut image that the music magazines put out. All the while he was struggling with demons and awful lifestyle choices.
I loved reading this book, although I feel some details were carefully written to perhaps protect some reputations.
Insight into the musical process of Duran Duran was also really interesting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Completely One-Dimensional, December 7, 2012
Mother Warrior (Rochester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death, and Duran Duran (Hardcover)
At 40 yrs. old I am still a huge fan of 80's hair bands and their music, including Duran Duran. In fact, I just saw them in concert twice over the last year during their most recent tour and their performance was awesome! They're still on top of their game! Anyway, aside from their music, I really didn't know anything else about the band, so I was thrilled to hear that John had released a memoir.

Unfortunately, I was completely disappointed. I found the book to be very boring and quite bland, and not because John didn't "throw anyone under the bus" or invade peoples' privacy, but because he presented himself as completely flat and one-dimensional...never once throughout the entire book did he exude any passion, depth of character, emotion, etc. about himself, his life, or the influential people who helped shape his existance. I mean, how does one describe his rise to stardom, his mind-blowing rock-star career, his closest confidants, his bandmates, his daughter, his wife, his parents, etc., completely devoid of emotion and without any in-depth explanation??? Literally the reader doesn't know what any of this is like for John, only just that it existed in a chronological fashion.

Sadly, the book is completely unengaging and doesn't read like a memoir at all, but more like a dry, factual, unbiased non-fiction book that one would use for a research project. In my opinion, the most interesting parts were the ones that talked about his (as well as Duran Duran's) musical inspirations and how they personally collaborated with many of them.

Furthermore, I was actually kind of appalled at the way he ended the book, paying tribute to all of the other members in the band, except for Andy. This sounds silly, but reading that line felt like a sucker-punch...especially when throughout the book, John continuously mentioned how everyone in the band always considered themselves as equal partners (even splitting income 5 ways), since it was the combined efforts of ALL of them that contributed to the band's incredible success. He also doesn't mention why Andy decided to leave the band in the mid-2000's, simply that he did. Unless this man has done something absolutely unforgivable to John and/or his loved ones, I thought the lack of acknowledgment was a pretty class-less move. After all, John and the band most likely wouldn't be where they are today, if it wasn't for the combined talents of each and every one of them.

I have since moved on to Andy's book to see if I can satisfy my curiosity there...

However, I will continue to enjoy Duran Duran's music everytime they tour ;o) !

2.0 out of 5 stars Fallen idol, November 26, 2012
I'd mentioned in my review about Duff McKagan's auto-biography, It's So Easy, that there are some bios and auto-bios that make me like the subject more and some that have made me like the subject less than when I'd started reading. Before I tell you which slot JT's auto-bio falls under, lemme explain a few things...

Duran Duran was my favorite band throughout most of my teen years. I'm talking, pictures all over my walls, in my school books, a fan club membership, collecting their records and videos, etc. I'd even began playing the bass because of John. He and Nick were my fave members...at least until Nick got married, then John held the title all by his lonesome. Later on, in my early 20s, my fanaticism with JT as well as the band as a whole had tapered off, but I still liked their music. The Astronaut album put them right back at the top of my list. The reuniting of the fab five...priceless! So, let's fast forward to my finding out about JT's auto-bio. My first thought was, "if there's a book signing, I'M GOING!" He came to NY and I met my bass god, got my autograph n' all that good stuff. Couldn't wait to start reading the book!

*sigh*

I felt like I was reading Cliff's Notes. Topics were mentioned with little or no detail provided. I'd also come away from this book feeling as though he'd taken the band's success for granted. To achieve the level of success that Duran had achieved in the 80s is extremely rare for any performer(s) and a hell of a blessing! Maybe it came too quickly for him *shrug* I'd read Andy's (Taylor) book a few months prior to John's, I couldn't help but compare the two books. Andy's won (and he'd always been my least fave member, but personality's everything and Andy has it in spades!! I love that kid now, lol!) Anywho, as I was reading In The Pleasure Groove, I felt my admiration for John diminish. A lot. At one point...okay, a couple of points, I just wanted to ditch the book and just move on to something else, but I decided to finish it since I'd purchased it 2ce (once for the Kindle version (convenience), and the hardcopy for the autograph). Maybe my expectations were too high. All that glitters... :-/

I still love his bass playing though! That'll never fade.

On the bright side, there are a crap load of great photos. It's also wonderful that he's no longer partaking in illegal substances. I wish him the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad I read this, but.........., October 17, 2012
Got the book on release day and finished it that night. It was definately well written enough to hold my interest and I did enjoy much of the story. I am torn between what is obviously a first hand account of my "glory days" as kid coming of age in the 80's with my favorite band and the glossing over of certain aspects of the bands history that I consider to be of the utmost importance. Not complaining for complainings sake, but here are a few of my concerns.

1. The 1984 tour was just glossed over (for the most part). Lots of interesting things happened on that tour of which I would have loved to have had John's insight. I do understand that drugs tend to fog memories, but that tour was a huge deal. Caught the 2/14/84 show and it still stands as one of my favorite concerts of all time.

2. I would have liked to read more about John's relationship with Andy during his time in the band, as well as after he left. This also goes for the reunion era. Andy's book did a little better with this subject. A whole lot better than one sentence about the reunion split. Just wanted John's perspective. ****Disclaimer: Big Andy fan here!

3. A little more depth about his relationships, personally, with the other band members during their "big" years. Simon and, especially Nick, are strong personalities. Would have been interesting to get some insight on how they really interacted during the craziness.

I don't want to come across as totally hating the book, because nothing could be further from the truth. I thought John came across as honest and humble, and I do understand the politics of friendship and not wanting to step on their toes. The insight would have been extremely interesting to say the least.

Glad I read this book. I really am. But who can be 100% satisfied all the time? Surely not me. For what it's worth.

4.0 out of 5 stars respectful memoir, October 18, 2012
I have been waiting to read a memoir from John Taylor, my first pin-up love, for years. I was a huge Duranie. JT always came off as very articulate and smart in interviews and that's what he is in this book. Though not the most detailed filled memoir, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and have even more respect for JT.

Though he could have told detailed accounts of the sordid aspects of his life, he glazes over these. He admits to the addictions and countless one-night stands as these are no secrets, but he gives very few details. Most rock memoirs will give at least one graphic description of an incident, but JT does not. He is very respectful of the people who were involved and only even names about six women with whom he was involved. There is only one description of what he experienced on a trip. While he really could have become bogged down in the mire, he keeps the pace moving.

What is most touching is his paean to his parents, which is truly lovely. They may not have always understood what their son wanted to do, but they let him do it and supported him. His description of their love story brought tears to my eyes.

In many respects, this memoir reads like a recovering addict's testimony, which it is in many ways. But the only drawback is that that doesn't let the music and the stories behind the music shine through. In interviews with Simon for example, I have sensed how close a relationship he and JT have, but there is little delving into those emotions, good or bad, in the book, and I would have liked to know more. Again, I think it is out of JT's respect for others, but I would like to have known about some of the creative battles and teamwork that went into the songs from my teenage soundtrack.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed Duranie, December 6, 2012
Like many other reviewers, I was a diehard fan for years. I discovered them in 1982 when I was 11 years old. JT and D2 filled my ears, my walls, my locker. To say I was obsessed would be an understatement. John Taylor was IT!!!

I just found out about this book and bought it for my Kindle immediately. As a long time fan, I was disappointed. The first section of the book gave me hope, but shortly into the second part, I realized it was going downhill fast. I appreciate his intent, wanting to shield his bandmates, ex-girlfriends/wife, etc. from harsh scrutiny. But you can still tell a good story without divulging every private moment. Maybe writing this book was part of his 9th Step work so he felt the need to protect these people, by doing no more damage. But I walked away from this book wondering exactly what the point of it was, other than a mild attempt at exercising some of his demons.

Another reviewer said it felt like a Cliff's Notes version of his life. I agree completely. The second and third sections of the book feel like an afterthought, or like his deadline was up and he had to write fast. There are so many things left out, unsaid or glossed over. Some of which has been talked about in past interviews or articles, so why not touch upon them? Expand upon those stories that are already out there to give the reader a clearer picture. I wish the last two thirds of the book were as detailed as the first part. It almost felt like he checked out and a ghost writer took over.

I wanted to hear more about his relationships within the band. He's been photographed with Simon's family for years. I would assume they are close, but he doesn't elaborate. And Nick, his oldest friend, what about him? This was the biggest flaw of the book, left me going WTH! Do you even know these guys???

Also, to exclude Andy from his list of acknowledgements felt very passive-aggressive. Maybe he can bring that up in therapy LOL! But seriously, while we'll never know the details behind the end of that relationship (because JT chose to keep that another secret), they were bandmates and friends during the height of their creativity and fame. Andy was never my favorite, but there would be no D2 without him. His sound helped make that band what it was. It really felt like a slap in the face to not thank him. And that's really my last impression of this book which is ironic. With all of JT's good intentions to not write a gossipy tell all, it felt mean spirited in the end.

Can I recommend this book? Only if you go in with no expectations (yes I've acquired a new resentment) or know very little about JT or the band. It's a quick, easy read for a flight or lounging poolside. He name drops a bit, you get a few fun stories about Sting and Andy Warhol. But I cannot recommend this for Duranies. It will leave you with a million unanswered questions, wondering what happened to the rest of the book.

One last complaint. The pictures throughout the book have no description attached. Not sure if this is just on the Kindle, maybe the hardcover is different. I really wanted to know who some of those people were. I'm hoping this was an oversight and gets corrected.

3.0 out of 5 stars Glossed Over, November 26, 2012
It was great information on the band and a fun read but I thought that more detail could have been put into the work itself - it felt glossed over and a little hurried. I would have liked more books (and gladly paid for them) and more information about each part / section touched on. If you are a fan, you will enjoy the material. I am so proud of John on how he had moved on with his life and sobriety ~

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted More, November 2, 2012
I was the biggest Duran Duran fan. I lived and breathed for anything Duran Duran. I was hopeful and excited waiting for the release of this book. It turned out to be very disapointing. It was, I did this and I did that, Nothing terribly personal and infromative. I felt as if I was reading something released by an agent. I get more from following him on Twitter than I didnt in the book. Terribly Disappointing.

In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death, and Duran Duran
In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death, and Duran Duran by John Taylor (Hardcover - October 16, 2012)
$27.95 $19.34