5.0 out of 5 stars Practical-user-friendly psychology of performance manual.
Published on January 10, 1999 by dean13z

3.0 out of 5 stars A good message
While the message is very good, it is repeated too often. It is an illustration showing how to succeed using the habits of successful people.
Published on December 3, 2012 by E. David

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical-user-friendly psychology of performance manual., January 10, 1999
Terry Orlick manages to weave anecdotal examples of how the mind can be the difference between performance and "peak performance". This book is packed with practical exercises, check lists and "how-to's" to learn and apply the mechanics/techniques of sports psychology. Nifty quotes at the beginning of each chapter. WARNING: It won't turn miracles. It will not give you talent you never had or replace hard work.
If you've ever found yourself belaboring a performance error, regularly using negative self-talk or "choking" in those key situations... then this book is for you.
It does require a belief... the belief that mental training will work. "Belief is the mother of reality."

4.0 out of 5 stars Mental Training for Sports and LIFE, November 11, 2005
This book has many useful tools not just for athletes but also for individuals seeking something for their everyday lives.

Best section I thought was on setting goals, the wheel of excellence, maintaining positive perspectives and outlook, and how to deal with distraction control, quest for consistency, etc etc.

These are all very important concepts not just for the athlete in training but also for everyday people seeking a goal or purpose in life, maintaining that path to success, and knowing how to deal with every day bumps and grinds and highs and lows.

Book talks about:

Setting a goal

Make commitment to that goal

And Initiate Action to accomplish your goals

and don't let distractions, criticism, or other people distract you from your path.

Sounds simple? But for most of us we really have to work on it! Takes lotsa work and discipline to know what you want, work to towards getting it, and not stray from distractions or criticism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, also an easy read, February 17, 2006
In college I took a sports psychology class taught by a practicing Sports Psychologist who coached Many NFL & PGA Tour players. This was one of out main books we used and it is still in my library today. As a collegiate athlete (baseball), I was able to easily apply the concepts to my own game. I don't know if it helped my physical ability, but mentally I was much more confident and focused.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best sports psych book, March 13, 2008
There are a lot of good books on mental training for athletes but I think Terry Orlick's stands out by carrying information that is insightful, well-rounded, very practical, beneficial to reducing anxiety, increasing focus on the task and, ultimately, performance.

As an Olympic medal winner who now manages a online sport psych shop (sportsmindskills.com) I've come across a lot of books on the subject and this is the winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, September 12, 2008
I read the 1st version of this book in 1990 and I not only continue to use the skills in athletics but in day to day life events as well. The mental training and stress reduction techniques improved my performance and helped in other areas of my life. I use the skills to improve concentration, relax, visualization and to focus. Having a solid foundation of these mental skills can help athletes at all levels as evidenced by some of the comments by Olympic level competitors. This book however, can be used by any level athlete and applies to much more than athletics.
This book and other editions of it adorn my bookshelf and are commonly referred to.
I have many books on the subject and this is by far the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something we should all pursue!!, August 9, 2013
This has been a good book although it has some areas of the book that are repetitive. The concepts and attention paid to, how we think and what we focus on, and how this affects our future happiness remains pivotal. I would recommend that every person alive read this, find their passion and change their world through the pursuit of excellence. Everything in life is different once we decide to keep our focus on this pursuit. Our life and the lives of those around us will be better. Read the book, find your passion, keep your focus, appreciate your blessings and live life to the fullest!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Starting Point, May 24, 2013
This book is the starting point for anyone interested in performance enhancement. Whether in sport or business, performers, coach/managers, and parents will benefit from Orlick's Wheel of Excellence. It also doesn't hurt that this text embodies the messages instilled in teamwork training sessions of former Navy SEALS at Acumen Performance.
acumenperformancegroup.com/

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read, January 22, 2013
Especially if you are in competitive sports, both as a competitor or coach. Offers great tips on mastering the mental aspect of your goals.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for self motivation, January 2, 2013
an excellent guide to come back to again and again
great for personal goal setting and self discovery
loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Need to read more than once, September 4, 2013
I really enjoyed this - to get the most out of it you need to read it a few times. The first time is just for pleasure - the next few times you can take more out of it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

In Pursuit of Excellence: How to Win in Sport and Life Through Mental Training (Audio)
Used & New from: $98.74