Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 3, 1999
This recording is an incredible interpretation of 17 beautiful songs. Parkening shows complete mastery of ALL songs, which, as a classical guitarist myself, I must say are extremely difficult. This album is a perfect example of what every classical guitarist should should aspire to. Especially interesting is his version of the traditional Spanish song "Romance" (Anonymous), which was personally arranged for Parkening by his cousin.
on April 15, 1999
I have listened to many great performers, live and on records but perhaps none of them impressed me so deeply as Christopher Parkening. This CD contains a few of the guitar music gems, performed with flawless technique, exquisite sound and profound understanding of the interpretation...
on April 6, 2005
My parents had this on vinyl when I was kid. I listened to it a lot in high school when I was listening to a lot of musical styles. This and Parkening's Bach CD are probably my two favorite classical guitar discs.

As a rock/blues/pop guitarist, I've been learning some classical over the last few years. And this disc has been my reference. Parkening's playing is confident and enjoyable. Capricho Arabe stands out as does the Sor studies that he covers.

My only complaint is Leyenda, his performance is less than passionate and the recording doesn't sound EQ'd correctly in a few spots. Other artists have better recordings of this song (John Williams comes to mind).

If you are looking for a great classical guitar CD, this is a great place to start.
on May 6, 2004
This is the album that made me want to take up classical guitar. Great selection of songs, played with incredible feeling and tone. Brilliant performances of Capricho Arabe, Recuerdos and the Villa-Lobos and Ponce Preludes. His rendition of Romance is what every student should strive for. The student (Parkening) has most definitely learned all of his master's (Segovia) lessons and went even further. Still fresh after 25 years of regular listening.
on February 28, 2004
Christopher Parkening's technical prowess is in full effect here, showing he's truly the ultimate successor to the great Andres Segovia.
I don't know about grunting, but if you listen closely, there is some noticeable sighing from Parkening on a few of the tracks, especially the third. Presumably, he was getting weary from all the work his fingers were getting in playing those immensely complex arrangements. But to go as for as to say it ruins the recording is ludicrous. In fact, the sighing adds to the intimacy and accessibility of the recording. I had always felt distant while listening to a Parkening album because he sounded TOO polished. He plays great here, but to hear his voice, even in its slightest audible sound, adds to the album's charm.
If you're a classical guitar enthusiast, this album is essential.
on May 10, 2001
Christopher Parkening, on this album, proves himself a true disciple of Segovia. Masterful and unrivaled by any contemporary guitarist.
on February 12, 1999
Christopher Parkening performs with brilliance once again. The breath-taking momentum in this album lures the listener into a deeper appreciation of the Classical Guitar. He is a master and poetic genius. The listener will surly persue other recording by Mr. Parkening. I have known Christopher Parkening for 35 years (I am his cousin) and his personality, artistry and devotion to his performance add a touch like no other performer can match!
on February 7, 1999
for any of you who bought your 1st Parkening album in 1968(Spanish Style) & then (Romanza)in 1969, be deliciously advised that this album is a compilation of both of those...I'm ecstatic to have these wonderful old albums back with me again. It's like finding an old friend...
on September 17, 2007
Christopher Parkening has totally mastered the classical guitar and the Spanish style of Classical guitar. His gift for this instrument can only come from God the Master of all! I recommend this CD highly if you love guitar music.
on March 8, 2007
The incredible representation and sound Parkening created by the guitar is
sublimity itself. Though I have listened to many a world-famous guitarist,
I have never been so fascinated as by his play. I couldn't but make intimate friends of mine a present of Parkening's CDs like "In the Spanish Style", through which I felt I could show them what real music is like. I never ever imagine I could find more graceful play than that of Christopher Parkening at least in the world of the guitar.