Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: In Treatment: Season 2
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

'In Treatment: Season Two', is as riveting as season one. Gabriel Byrne, as Paul, continues as the impassioned psychologist, dealing with a new set of patients. He sees a female college student with lymphoma, a boy whose parents are divorcing, a female attorney who he was his patient twenty years prior, and an aging company CEO . Meanwhile, he continues to have both clinical supervision and personal counseling with Gina, Diane Wiest.

Paul struggles with many of the same issues that were difficult for him in season one - - boundaries with patients, his marriage, his relationships with his children and anger and dissatisfaction with his personal and professional life. On top of that, he is being sued by the father of a patient from Season 1.

TV series do not get any better than this. As a clinical social worker and marriage and family therapist, I can vouch for the authenticity of the sessions. Therapists are human beings and 'In Treatment: Season Two' reminds the viewer of this with every episode.
33 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2009
I'm not gonna rehash the basic premise and stars of this series; you probably know that already. I'll just say that TV shows as intelligent, literate, and adult (not to mention well-acted) as this one are few and far between, and I intend to enjoy it for however long it lasts. I didn't think Gabriel Byrne was ever gonna find a better part than "The Usual Suspects," but he fits into this role like Kingsley into Gandhi or George C. Scott into Patton. And Alison Pill was robbed by not receiving an Emmy nomination for her portrayal of the grad student with cancer. I bought season 1 on DVD, and I'll be all over season 2. HIGHLY recommended.
33 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2009
In Treatment's second season continues in the "does programming get better than this?" fashion we became accustomed to in Season One. The first episode has us meet up again with Dr. Paul Weston who is newly divorced in his Brooklyn apartment/office but this time around he is faced with a malpractice lawsuit from a former patient's father. We are also introduced to new patients, a female laywer whom Paul had treated 20 years prior, a college student with cancer, a preteen boy whose parent's recently divorced and a very highly ranked executive. Paul continues as a patient himself with his former therapist and mentor, Gina. The acting is intense and Gabriel Bryne can do more with an eyebrow or a flare of one nostril than most people can do with their entire bodies and vocal chords.

If you like intelligent shows with a great deal of realism, you must watch this. I hope we see at least one more season of this remarkable show.
44 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've had unipolar depression my whole adult life. Thus, I had to get into medication and outpatient therapy for many years in my 20s. Decades later I still must take the medication but I haven't needed therapy in a long time. However, those early intense years of therapy were extremely helpful for the rest of my life. This series absolutely faithfully duplicates the entire experience. Gabriel Byrne could be a real psychiatrist. I've never seen a movie or tv shrink this faithful to the real deal. Even better, when he himself is in therapy, it is absolutely real to life that he himself is a mess when he is the patient in therapy. The patients are diverse in age, sex, race and problems. In short, there is something for everyone with this patient base. I especially enjoyed the college girl with cancer who would not get treatment, Josh Mahoney (the father in FRASIER) as a CEO under fire, and the young boy with the constantly battling, divorcing parents. This season, Paul is also under siege with a malpractice suit, which was filed against him by the family of a patient who killed himself. The ends of treatment for each patient are realistic as well. Rather than seeing the patient off to a "happily ever after life", which would be impossible, Paul instead sees them off to an uncertain future but one in which they probably have a better idea of who they are as individuals and what they have as strengths and weaknesses. Season 1 was excellent as well. HBO does it again.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
on September 24, 2009
The second season of "InTreatment" is more polished than the first season, which wanted to take on too many characters' problems. This season, Gabriel Byrne's character is living alone, separated from his wife and family and the target of a malpractice lawsuit that has him questioning his capability as a psychotherapist. He hires a lawyer, a former patient played by Hope Davis who tries to seduce him throughout this season and works on her issues of feeling inadequate without a husband and children. He also consults a college-age woman dying of cancer, a family going through a divorce and a deposed CEO whose company made defective baby formula that killed children. In his own therapy with Diane Wiest's character, he examines his own insecurities and depression rooted in his mother's suicide when he was a teenager. A lot of heavy-duty stuff that makes you think, which is an important message for today's youth.
on November 7, 2010
I likely don't have the words to do inTreatment justice. One would think in 2010 "therapy", a therapeutic alliance, would be recognized as a good thing, a place to go and talk of anything...with one who knows you perhaps better than anyone (over time). There are friends, relatives, troubled, issues, disorders...who would no more seek mental-health treatment, than walk naked into a high-school reunion. inTreatment allows you to be the proverbial "fly-on-the-wall", having almost embarrassingly candid/intense/intimate access to people in trouble. The show allows you to see how both therapist and patient struggle to find answers, understandings, and how growth comes in 'peal-experience moments...or over a number of sessions. Gabriel Byrne is the very invested, ultimately 'spot-on' therapist/analyst, finding fascinating correlations, articulated beautifully to his patient, that raises an eyebrow, or finds them in tears. Byrnes in very human, as the series allows you to see the therapist uncertain and seeking...though he rarely falters.

In season One, and season Two, the patients are three-dimensional, and stunningly portrayed by the actors selected for the roles. Monday you see patient #1 & patient #2 in session, Tuesday patients #3 & #4. The following week, you watch all four patients continuing his/her treatment. Very clever arrangement. I've likely overdone this review, but I so enjoy each moment of the show.

inTreatment in not "light" viewing, and parental discretion is called for. Rather an opportunity to tune-in to a stunning look at people in emotional pain, and see them working hard to get better...and they are better for the effort. The series will either bind you to every episode, or leave you cold (if you just don't get it...smile). Highly recommended for the intuitive, empathic, introspective and feeling viewer. I own season one, now season two on DVD, and hope those who can truly appreciate the honesty this HBO production delivers, will out-number those who find the series "boring". :sigh: smile, HIGHLY recommended!
on July 15, 2014
Great show. One of the finest I've ever viewed. But getting season 1 on prime instant video---which I PAID FOR---and then season 2 and 3 are NOT on prime instant video but requires additional payments??? I am seeing this practice way too often. I am not an idiot and this practice of yours is a bit of a bait-and-switch. Shame on you! My integrity as a customer is worth more than your greedy tactics. Consider me a former customer. I will not renew my subscription to your service nor purchase any Amazon products.
on August 5, 2011
I use In Treatment,Season One and Two as tools to deepen my insight into the therapeutic process. I have been a therapist for 12 years, and still I have learned from repeated viewings of these sessions. I can turn off the sound and focus on the visual patterns of non-verbal language between client and therapist, or watch one client's sessions back-to-back through the entire series, watching for client changes as the therapy progresses. At times the therapist makes mistakes, a clear statement by the creators that therapists are human, too. It's fascinating to see the therapist work with his own therapist and face his own personal demons, even as he's called on to step into his therapeutic self on behalf of clients. I have used segments of this series for training interns. I've shown some at staff meetings. Currently I am meeting with others one evening every other week to digest a week's worth of sessions. I do understand that these sessions were written for dramatic effect, but they are not too far from my experiences. I forgive the high drama because I get so much from deep analysis of the sessions. We don't often get an opportunity to look inside the sanctuary of the therapy room. I recommend the series for study by serious students of the therapeutic process.
on July 10, 2010
I only caught onto "In Treatment" during it's second season and I literally couldn't watch it enough. I watched episodes over and over. The stories are so connected and so real. I then went back and purchased the first season and learned so quickly how much the second season built off the first season. Just brilliant. October can't come soon enough for me to get my hands on the second season so I can experience them again. Now just bring on the third season.
on July 4, 2015
The first season was mind blowingly good. The second season is still better than most American television. Writing is good, actors are convincing and a pleasure to watch. The stories are very contemporary with issues that we all have knowledge of - corporate disasters, professional women mourning their inability to have a fulfilling personal life - and of course the shrink's own angst and difficulties making him a hot mess in his personal life. I love the actors, and I was addicted to the show from the jump. This season is still very very good, though I think it is hard to top Season 1, they sure try..