Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: InSinkErator Badger 5XP 3/4 HP Household Garbage Disposer
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Package Quantity: 1|Change

VINE VOICEon October 9, 2008
Last year I wrote a good review for my 12 year old Badger 1 unit that I was retiring after 12 years of faithful service. I decided to replace the old unit with another Badger and chose this 5XP model. I had such good luck with with the Badger 1 that I chose to stay with the Badger line, but just upgrade to the more powerful unit. Installation was a breeze as the units were the same size.

I've now had this unit for about one year and unfortunately it does not perform any better than the old unit, in fact it even makes more noise! I still cannot grind very much in it and it appears to be no more powerful than the old unit.

I was expecting a more powerful unit that could perhaps handle a little more bulk than the Badger 1. What I got was basically the same unit as the Badger 1, just a little louder now.
22 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2012
I am currently a home remodeler and, in my opinion, I have replaced far too many InSinkErator disposals that had cracked plastic housings. Failed plastic housings do sell replacement disposals so InSinkErator might have something going for them.

The mechanics, motor and grinder components in InSinkErators I have replaced seem to last well but the plastic housings certainly need some serious engineering attention.InSinkErator Evolution Compact 3/4 HP Household Garbage DisposerInSinkErator Badger 5 1/2 HP Food Waste Disposer

I am also a retired engineer who specialized in plastic injection molded parts (resin selection) and tooling to make the parts.

I hope InSinkErator reads the following.
My opinion is InSinkErator continues to ignore the root cause of the problem which is a poor choice of plastic material and/or improper tooling. Disposals must endure temperature cycles, vibration, and chemicals which means the proper plastic resin must be selected.

In molding the part, the tooling and processing must produce a part where the plastic resin is not stressed (shear forces, etc.) during injection and not have weak weld lines where the plastic rejoins in the mold after flowing around obstructions (i.e., the inlet hole/pipe from the dishwasher where the hose connects or the holes for the bolts that connect the top housing to the motor housing.
I just replaced a disposal I installed 3 ½ to 4 years ago. It was used in a second home that is used only 5 weeks a year; thus low usage.

In summary, I suggest a disposal that has stainless steel grinder housing. Today, I am replacing a Badger 9/Badger 900 (plastic housing model that cracked in 3 ½ to 4 years) with a InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1 HP Stainless Steel model. More expensive but hopefully worth the cost.
on February 14, 2011
Do not purchase a disposer with a galvanized steel blade mechanism. 6 months old and it is completely rusted out! Garbage!
on August 1, 2012
We replaced two old disposal units in our kitchen at the same time a year ago, getting rid of the units that were here when we bought the house 11 years ago, after one of the old units failed. About 3 - 4 weeks ago, one of the new units developed a crack in the housing, and had to be replaced (fortunately it was under warranty). Now, less than a month later, the other new unit developed cracks in the same location of the housing - obviously a design or manufacturing defect, for both to fail the exact same way within the exact same time frame. Stay away from this make and model - I thought Insinkerator was good, but I was obviously wrong. So sorry I chose this brand - will never make this mistake again. So tired of cleaning up the disgusting leaking messes from under the kitchen sink this month!
on July 23, 2011
I have a badger 5 and it developed a crack. I did some research and found lots of people with this problem. Stay away from this product
66 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2011
The plastic case for the disposal broke where the drain attaches. It lasted 4 years of intermittent use. I would not recommend this product--it is poor quality.
on November 1, 2010
Bought this unit 12 months ago after my original badger 5 gave up the ghost. While installation was easy, unfortunately the unit didnt make it to its first birthday before it started leaking due to a cracked housing. We've never put bones down the disposal, egg shells and canteloupe rinds are about as tough as it got for the badger 7 but that proved too much for the housing to take before it cracked in 2 places. Luckily we had the warranty......wrong! since i cant find my original receipt (my fault) the company wont honor the warranty. that is in despite of the fact we registered the warranty when we purchased the product. Apparently per customer service that is only for marketing purposes. My advise, buy a Waste King, #1 rated by consumer reports.
on June 27, 2013
Very easy to install and works great. I replaced a 1/2 HP with a 3/4 HP model this time, It seemed the 1/2 HP just was not strong enough to do the job. It lasted just about the warranty time period
The 3/4 HP has a longer guarantee. Very satisfied with this product.
on March 15, 2013
The Badger has been around for many years and somehow ISE gets away without re-designing it. The major problem, as many have stated is that they tend to crack and leak after a few thousand cycles of normal use. Unacceptable. The only way to get the company to change is to get the word out.

I just replaced a Badger 5XP 3/4 HP that was 2 years old and cracked. You can get a great replacement for well under $100.
44 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2010
The product was shipped on time and looked to be in great shape. BOY WAS I WRONG. Once the disposal was installed it would only hum but not turn. I tried everything to get it to work before calling the company. They instructed me to hit the reset button. Like I had not tried this already. After a few days the company finally gave me a reference code for a handy man. The handy man came out and said the bearing was damaged in it and they would replace it for free. Now I am just waiting for another one to come in and hopefully it will work.