on March 17, 2014
Size Name: 4 Ports for Mac Pro
I have tried 2 other USB 3.0 cards for my MAC Pro and this is the only one that worked perfectly out of the box!
No drivers were needed, just install and boot. Everything worked perfectly in Mavericks 10.9.1 and there was a HUGE speed difference.
Also, you did not need ANY external power plugged into the card!

I have uploaded the install video I posted on YouTube under Techdripper
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 10, 2014
Size Name: 4*USB 3.0 for Windows
This is a great way to upgrade a PC to USB 3.0 capabilities. Installation is very straightforward – basically just plug the card into a PCI slot, install the included drivers, and you’re done.

I installed this on a Dell Optiplex running Win 7 (32 bit). Totally uneventful, which seems to be a rarity these days with PC upgrades. It actually took me longer to untangle the spaghetti nest of cables and connectors attached to my PC than it did to get the card up and running.

According to the specs it supports XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 8. There is no support for Mac products at this time.

It has four USB3.0 ports. The port construction is solid, unlike other lower-priced cards I’ve used. Zero wiggling of the port when a cable is attached/removed. It is also downward compatible with USB 2.0 specs – I had no problems using a couple of different USB 2.0 drives on this, in addition to a USB 3.0 drive.

The package included the card itself, a surprisingly well-written, clear install guide, and a variety of power cables to deal with various install options. The drivers come on a full size CD (another plus, since I really hate those mini CDs) and there’s a link in the manual for the manufacturer’s site to get updated drivers.

Absolutely zero complaints about build quality, performance, installation ease, and packaging/documentation. Highly recommend.
[Sample provided for review]
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2014
Size Name: 4*USB 3.0 for WindowsVerified Purchase
I purchased the Inateck 4-Port USB 3.0 PCIe card for my Mac Pro. Yes, for a Mac. Nothing on the product description indicated that it would work on a Mac but I had seen a YouTube video using the Inateck card on a Mac Pro and figured it was the same and would work.

The Inateck card was cheaper than some of the other options (which had more reviews) and what convinced me to get the Inateck was the fact that it CAME WITH CABLES. No need to purchase additional cables since they're provided in the box. Unlike the YouTube video, Inateck listened to the reviewers comments and provided 2 separate, short cables, that don't have all the clunky extra connectors on them. (For the record, you don't actually NEED to connect this card to a Power Source in the computer ... technically it needs it to be able to provide power the specified power to the USB device, however, most USB devices that you're connecting this to will have their OWN power source (like a Powered Hub or a Powered External USB hard-drive). So for those of you nervous about connecting the card to a power source, don't worry.

Installation in the Mac Pro was a breeze. I had an open SATA hard-drive bay inside my Mac Pro and an open PCIe port.

Inateck included 2 cables with the USB card ... a SATA to 4-pin Molex connector (the "old school" connectors that go to a power supply ... or to a DVD bay) and SATA "Y-cable" (SATA to SATA). For the Mac Pro I used the Y-cable. Note that you will need to connect this SATA cable to an open SATA port on the motherboard. The Mac Pro has 4 easy to install Hard-Drive bays. Normally you'd slide a hard-drive into the bay and it would mate with the SATA connector but for this installation you'll need to use one of these open SATA ports.

I plugged the Inateck card into an open SATA port in my 4th hard-drive bay. Note that the SATA connector for a hard-drive is basically broken into 2 sections: POWER and DATA. The only part of the connector you need here is the 15-pin POWER section. Inateck provided a cable with the POWER section.

*However*, you need to know that the cable provided by Inateck will NOT fit properly out of the package. You need to modify the cable slightly. I was a bit apprehensive to do this at first but once I did it, I laughed at how simple it is. The Y cable with SATA on all ends will need to be modified. Take the end of it that has only 1 connector, this is the side that goes onto the motherboard (either one of the "Y" ends will plug into the Inateck card). The connector has a plastic nub on either end, so it would fit in a normal SATA Power connector, however you'll have to cut one of these ends off to fit on the Mac Pro. You're not cutting the connector, its pins, or its wires, you're simple cutting off the plastic nub so the connector will fit onto the Mac Pro's motherboard. First, make note of which orientation the connector must mate. You'll see that one side of the connector meets the edge of the connector in your computer. The other end would normally have the DATA section of the cable but the Inateck cable doesn't have the data section and instead it has a square end of plastic. You need to cut this part of plastic off so that the SATA cable will mate on the motherboard of the Mac Pro. I used a pair of scissors and a file to get the plastic end cut off. Once you've done this simple modification you can use the cable for installation.

To install in the Mac Pro:
1) Unplug the computer and touch something metal to ground yourself.
2) Unlock the case and take off the side door.
3) Lay the computer down.
4) There are 2 spring-loaded finger screws covering the available PCIe slots. Remove the 2 screws and take off the lock holding down the open PCIe cards.
5) Insert the Inateck USB card into an available PCIe slot (I used slot 3, for example). Make sure it's nice and snug in the PCIe slot
NOTE 1: The Inateck card doesn't use the entire length of the PCIe connector. Don't worry, it still fits.
NOTE 2: For some reason the 4th PCIe slot on the Mac Pro won't work. The computer will recognize the card but no power will be provided to your devices. This is a known issue and I found multiple references online to this. DON'T plug the card into the 4th PCIe slot.
6) Take one end of the SATA "Y-Connector", the side that has the "Y" with 2 of the same connector, and plug one of those into the Inateck card.
7) Take the other end of the SATA connector, the side that you cut the plastic off, and connect it to an available SATA POWER port in your Mac Pro (available hard-drive bay).
8) Put the PCIe cover back up using the spring-loaded finger screws.
9) Close up your computer
10) Power on and Enjoy.

I ran a speed test using a Seagate 3 TB drive I picked up at Costco and was very impressed with the speeds. The "Disk Speed Test" I ran (by Blackmagicdesign) clocked read and write speeds in the 150-170mb/sec range (averaged around 160mb/sec). Pretty impressive!

Glad it works on the mac, even if it's not advertised to.

I did NOT need any drivers to make this work on the Mac. I'm using Mac OS X 10.9.1 (Mavericks) and the drivers are built into the computer. USB 3.0 drivers are included in Mac OS X 10.8.2+.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2014
Size Name: 4*USB 3.0 for WindowsVerified Purchase
I have a PC running Windows 7, 64bit. Windows 7 does not support USB3 like Windows 8 does so one "MUST" install the driver for this card.

I installed the card in a PCIe slot and connected the 4 pin power connector from my PC's power supply to the card using the supplied "SATA to 4-pin molex power adapter cable".

I first tried to go to the "inatechDotcom/support" link which is listed in the card's instructions to try to get the latest driver. That web link as listed in the instructions does not exist. So I tried to install the driver from the included CD by clicking setup.exe in the root directory of the CD. That didn't work, nothing happened. I did some Googling and found the drivers on the German inatech.de website. I downloaded the latest version 100 driver, did a restart and tried to install it but midway through the install procedure it said it was not installed successfully.

I went back to the supplied CD and navigated to the folder that contained the version 93 driver and clicked the setup.exe in that folder. Now the driver installed and completed successfully. I took off one star because of having to jump though hoops to install the driver successfully.

Once the driver was installed, the card works great. It's giving me 2.6 times faster transfer speed using an external hard drive compared to using a USB2 port. Used Crystal Disk Mark for the speed test. I did a 400GB backup and it completed successfully on the first try. I would buy this card again from amazon if I needed another one.
on February 28, 2014
Size Name: 4*USB 3.0 for WindowsVerified Purchase
I wish I would have gotten one of these sooner.

My regular 2.0 Hitachi USB went from 23 MB/s to 36 MB/s

Also have 3.0 Toshiba USB plugged in and am getting 150MB/s read/write speeds

Drivers seem excellent so far, turning the drives off independently.

Win 8.1 has native drivers but i got the latest of their website.
on March 26, 2014
Size Name: 4*USB 3.0 for WindowsVerified Purchase
Satisfied, but the drivers CD may need updates. I'm using 3 USB ports currently and 1st pops in and out, 2nd stays visible but files disappeared until I switched to 4th port, and 3 seems to be fine.

PROS:
1. Easy to install card
2. Easy to install drivers (CD or Internet)
3. Two types of SATA cables (only needed one)
4. USB 3.0 speed visually seems a little faster than USB 2.0 (no eval software)
5. Esthetically pleasing

CONS:
1. SATA cable instructions not clear based on the two cables included (I guess)
2. Cost

Conclusion: I think this card may have defects per USB port, or need an investigation into the drivers. I recommend this card only because I don't think the 3.0 USB industry technology is good at the moment unless you pay big bucks. I EXPECT ITEMS TO WORK WITHOUT ISSUES TO EARN A 5-STAR RATING.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2014
Size Name: 4 Ports for Mac ProVerified Purchase
Installed without any difficulty in my 2009 Mac Pro and it works perfectly. I can finally enjoy USB 3.0 speed on an older Mac.
Size Name: 4*USB 3.0 for Windows
I've had a Windows 7 (previously Windows Vista) in my living room serving as a media center for a few years. The PC works fine, but over time it had become noticeably slow compared to the new machines I have. I've upgraded memory and that has helped a lot. Now I had an opportunity to upgrade the USB slots to the latest 3.0 standard, and that has made more of a difference than I had originally anticipated.

The first thing you notice about this expansion card is its build quality. This is not some cheap knock-off card, but a well-designed and solidly manufactured piece of hardware. The card was easy to install - it just snapped into the appropriate slot. Most of the modern PCs are designed with the upgradability in mind, and many of them can be opened and upgraded without requiring any tools. However, if you have never upgraded a computer or are generally elecronics-phobic, you might want to consult with a family member or a friend who is more into these tasks.

The card was immediately recognized by my system, but only as a 2.0 USB standard. I installed the additional drivers that came with the included CD, and after that the card worked as advertised. I only have a handful of external USB 3 accessories (including a USB 3.0 HDD), but the card worked perfectly with all of them. The transfer speeds were quite noticeable faster, but I haven't really benchmarked them.

The reason why this card is particularly useful in the media center is a) helps with the playback of large video files directly from an external HDD, and b) USB 3 allows you (with appropriate add-ons and software) to use it to for additional monitors and TVs.

This is indeed a very good card that has completely lived up to its promise. I highly recommend it.
Size Name: 4 Ports for Mac ProVerified Purchase
I have been using this for over 6 months now to access my fast external drives, and it works as advertised. In other words, I am impressed with the speed and quality of the product. I have it humming away on an old Mac Pro running Yosemite 10.10. I installed it when I was on Mavericks and I did not install any additional drivers or updates (gotta love Apple's Mac OS X). It just works! I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to connect fast hard drives that have a USB 3 interface. Also works fine with anything slower than USB 3.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 2 Ports + 20-Pin Connector/ Support Mac Pro
 This is a pretty slick little card. I notice it is built with high quality capacitors along with the other top drawer components used on the PCB. Hiding in plain sight on the small card I noticed a Fresco logic hub controler. That would only titilate a complete nerd. Yes, the Fabless developers that showed Super Speed USB 10Gbs at CES 2014 with a custom card running DDR3 which benched out at around 900mbs. I am truly impressed. No OEM over run components on this. This is the cutting edge and tip of the spear peoples work. Check out Fresco logic fl1100sx, very impressive.

To quote Fresco:
Optimizes Performance when Operating Multiple Protocols Fresco Logic's GoXtream(tm) router minimizes latency and protects high-bandwidth real-time data streams while still allowing access to ample best effort bandwidth. To the user this means fast backups even while watching high-definition video or other high-bandwidth real-time applications.

FL1100SX fully supports the UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) standard, the next generation storage protocol designed for USB 3.0. This feature optimizes the transfer efficiency for the 5Gbps channel by eliminating some of the classic BOT (bulk-only transport) bottlenecks.

FL1100SX also supports hardware-based LPM (Link Power Management).

Fresco Logic's FL1100SX is compliant with Battery Charging (BC) Specification Revision 1.2: Charging Downstream Port (CDP), and China Charging YD/T 1591-2009 Standards. FL1100SX's proprietary hybrid-charging mode automatically distinguishes BC-compliant devices or China Charging devices and handshakes accordingly. With appropriate power supply design, system designers can easily support USB charging without extra discrete USB charging components.

The FL1100SX supports USB Debug Capability defined by the xHCI specification. Debug capability enables low-level system debug using a USB-to-USB connection between two computers, and is a requirement from Microsoft for those platforms that wish to achieve Windows Logo Certification for Windows 8 and beyond.

This model in particular was of interest in a project where a friend was given a computer that had a bookshelf fall on it. The internals were all serviceable the case crushed. The replacement case she chose has USB3 on the front. The mainboard system parts did not have USB3. She received an external backup drive with USB3, and the no USB3 issue was put on the front burner.

So, with a screwdriver, The KT4006, and a package of microwave popcorn I set out on a mission of mercy. I handed over the popcorn, turned off the desktop, used the electric driver to pull two screws and popped the side off, reached in and found the front usb cable, plugged it into the KT4006, plugged the card in the PCIe slot, secured it with a chasis clip screw, popped the side back on zipped down two screws and powered up the PC. Opened the CD rom inserted the driver disk, ignored windows hardware wizard looking for a driver and ran the driver install. Badabing, it completed the driver install. Windoze announced it was ready, I plugged in the USB3 external drive and marked the movie folder to move to the external drive. Stepped in the kitchen for the opening of the popcorn bag. Bid my fond warewells and back to the shop. Bummer, hard day at the office.

ASIN: B00JFR2H64