5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, Ethereal and Fun!
**Such a solid 4.5 stars that I'm rounding up to 5stars.**

Inbetween delivers a ethereal, romantic story of enduring love and the unimaginable lengths a boy will go to in order to protect the girl he loves.

Published 22 months ago by Andrea Thompson

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh
Here's the thing about Inbetween by Tara Fuller, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't really love it either. I finished the book feeling pretty indifferent about the entirety of the book, not becoming emotionally attached or invested to the characters or the story at all.

Published 18 months ago by Erica

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, Ethereal and Fun!, September 3, 2012
**Such a solid 4.5 stars that I'm rounding up to 5stars.**

First of all...WOW. I reeaalllly enjoyed Inbetween. Author Tara Fuller delivered a beautifully written story that captured my attention and my heart.. From the very first page, I was hooked. The way the story unfolded was smart, with a prologue that takes the reader back in time and sets the story up very nicely. The emotion created within the words forced me to see and know the characters, the emotions that moved across their faces and reflected in their voices. I had no choice but to become emotionally invested in the story.

I loved this world of Reapers and the Afterlife that Fuller created. These Reapers served Heaven, Hell and the Inbetween. These Reapers, complete with Scythes, are hardcore, particularly those who serve Hell. And at this point I have to say that I was sufficiently creeped out by the vision Fuller created of Hell, with it's eternal torment of the damned's worst nightmare. Luckily we don't spend too much time there! The Inbetween is more of a "grey area", a holding area for those whose souls have yet to be determined. And where Finn resides.

And that brings me to the characters of Inbetween. Emma is a human girl who was meant to die, but was given a second chance. A chance given to her by Finn. Finn and Emma have a complicated and romantic history. A history Emma doesn't recall, but has affected her nonetheless. I really liked Emma. She's a true victim of circumstance. She feel as if she's crazy, has been considered unstable for reasons she doesn't understand. And Finn is to blame. I have to get behind a guy who loves his girl so much that he will defy Heaven and Hell to save her. I truly felt sorry for him, to watch the girl he loves, and not be able to be with her. And yet, Finn also upset and disappointed me. I believe in true love, but not at the expense of others, particularly using them to get what you want and take what's theirs. I definitely thought he was selfish at times, but that also made him a character who pulled me further into the story.

Now, I must mention three other characters, two I loved and one I hated. Maeve is a bad, bad soul. She thinks Emma had what should've been hers, and she is hellbent on revenge. Maeve was a great villain because she complicated. She's evil, cruel and does awful things, yet she has a point in her rage. Cash is Emma's best friend and makes every scene substantially more fun. He is so good to Emma, accepts her quirks with a smile and a shoulder. He has his own troubles, yet is always there for Emma. Annnd, Easton. Be still my sarcastic heart. Easton is one of Hell's Reapers and he's good at his job. I loved his dry wit, his up-front demeanor, his willingness to put himself on the line for his friend. I want more of Easton. A whole book of Easton. Someone please tell me Easton will get his own book!

I would have liked the first half of Inbetween to move a little faster. There was a lot time devoted to setting up the characters and their stories. Once the details were set in place, though, Inbetween was so fantastic. I didn't want to put the story down, and it constantly stayed in my thoughts when I was able to set it aside for a bit. The tension consistently rose the further I went and by the end I was reading with one hand on my Kindle and the other on my heart. I was so thoroughly happily with the way the story ended and I can't wait to read the next book!

If you're a fan of stories about love and second chances in the vein of The Catastrophic History of You and Me, then Inbetween will be sure to please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inbetween by Tara Fuller, August 15, 2012
I absolutely loved this book! The story is addictive, and I was unable to put this book down once I started reading it. Inbetween has an intriguing premise, an engaging writing style, and delightful characters. Fuller offers a captivating take on reapers and the afterlife in this emotional paranormal romance for teens.

Every character in this novel is fully developed. Emma is a sweet, likable character that readers will sympathize with. Although Emma is a bit of a victim at the beginning of the story, she grows stronger and gains more of a take-charge attitude over the course of the novel. Finn is a protective, caring character who is willing to do whatever is necessary to save Emma. The relationship between Emma and Finn is beautiful and emotional. Anaya, Easton, Cash, and even Maeve are all excellent characters as well. As much as I hated Maeve's despicable actions, I also pitied her at times. It is always remarkable when an author is able to make the reader feel badly for the antagonist of the story.

What I especially love about this novel, is that in spite of the seemingly gloomy subject matter, Fuller keeps the story lighthearted. The narrative is sprinkled with humor, and the romantic aspects remain the focus. This was a perfect summer read!

Inbetween is well-written, and is written in a very engaging manner. It has perfect pacing, and is filled with twists and turns and suspense that will keep readers' attention. Furthermore, the complex plot, along with the well thought-out take on life after death will give readers a great deal to think about.

This is the first book in the Kissed by Death series, and I am greatly looking forward to the sequel!

Book received from publisher via Netgalley for review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, January 10, 2013

I need to just say that I just loved Cash's character. He was the determined best friend anyone would love to have and I am very excited for his story. Just the description of Blurred had me giddy with excitement, so the wait for that one will be long indeed. The characters were the biggest strength of Inbetween, and for me, it was more the smaller characters like Anaya that were my favorite to read about after Cash.

Inbetween was definitely an intriguing endeavor into the realm of reapers and it was a refreshingly new take on the topic. There were some things that I wish were more explained though - I didn't feel like the ideas were completely fleshed out and I was left wanting more information. I felt like there wasn't quite the solid foundation.

The relationship and romance between Finn and Emma was cute. There were definitely some moments that were just completely adorable, but again, I never really become fully invested in their relationship. I felt very much like an uncaring bystander in this one.

Inbetween is the book for people looking for a love story wrapped up in a paranormal world. The characters were great and I loved hearing their story. While this may not have been my favorite read, Tara Fuller still peaked my interest as a reader and I want to check out more by her in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars YA Bound, August 7, 2012
Let me start off by saying that whatever you think this book may be about, think again. I personally know the lovely Tara Fuller (winks to bloggy sister) and as authors, of course we can't help but talk about our stories (even when peeps are no longer listening and we're just blabbing away) because that's what we do. And having known some about this story going in, I was surprised that she could be so humble about the amazing story she created. The summary gives you only the tiniest glimpse of what is to be found between the pages.

Told from dual POVs, INBETWEEN begins with an action-packed, heart-wrenching introduction to Finn and Emma. We discover just enough about their story--as these two have a history together--to move forward two years ahead where Finn has become, unknown to Emma, her protector against an evil spirit bent on destroying her.

The story and their history unfolds chapter by chapter giving the reader glimpses into the past, and normally this might have made me a bit crazy going, I want to know! Tell me! But in Tara Fuller's capable hands, the right amount of information, action, romance, and tension was beautifully executed. There was no part where the story lagged and I became impatient. The description of Hell, Heaven, and the Inbetween kept me flipping the pages, while the depth of the side characters' own stories grabbed ahold of me and I had to find out more about them. I have to admit, the villain of stories I either hate or love. And Tara created a deeply compelling villain who I understood and sympathized with, but who I also loved to hate. She was brilliant.

A perfect balance of tension, humor and romance, INBETWEEN is addicting. I couldn't put it down till I knew the whole story, and then I was in love with the characters. This is a must read for all Paranormal Romance lovers, as well as anyone looking for their next fresh YA read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book Whales: 3 Stars: I recommend this book to paranormal lovers, who like to get teary eyed., October 5, 2012
This review is from: Inbetween (Kissed by Death) (Kindle Edition)
I love reapers and a story where love can surpass heaven and hell. Yep, I' am a sucker for that kind of story. So when I saw In Between, I know that I have to read it. The story is gripping and downright sad. The love story will definitely give you heartache.

The plot kind of reminds me of Fallen but with reapers on it. Despite the similarities, this book is unique on its own. Okay, I'll start telling you the plot without any spoilers. Emma's life is quite difficult, after the death of her father. She's also haunted by her dreams, where she sees familiar images. The story took a great turn when Finn saved her from the car accident. Yes, a reaper saved her and saving her has consequences. Who is Allison? Can Finn fully protect her from her overpowering fate?

The world building was okay. It may have some similarities from other books but Inbetween can still stand on its own. I like how the author made this book an easy read. It was not complex and perplexing. There were no confusing moments for me. Though, the transitioning is a bit slow. I find myself bored in some parts of the story. I wanted the twist to be revealed or simply to get through the unnecessary scenes. But the twist and ending was worth the wait, it was one of those where you need tissues.

The character building is good. You get to know each side since it was written in dual perspective. It's weird; I connected to Finn more than Allison. Finn's character is raw. I felt his sorrow and loneliness. I totally understand why he did that - can't tell you what he really did- His selfishness sort of made me attached to him. Emma as a character is sweet and fragile. Every reader, like me will feel protective of her. She's very likeable like the other characters such as Cash, Scout and Anaya. Read this book to find out more about them.

The love angle is good. Their relationship is realistic and very sweet. Prepare to have a cavity! It was heartwarming!

Overall, this book is great read. I recommend this book to paranormal lovers, who like to get teary eyed. I will keep an eye on Tara Fuller from now on. I can't wait to read another book from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative and Amazing! Five Stars, September 14, 2012
AEM "LOVE IT!" (In love. Reading.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inbetween (Kissed by Death) (Kindle Edition)
LOVED IT. Bought the print book but had to wait to read it. So glad I finally had the time to turn these pages. I'm always amazed when authors can take you on a ride and keep you there, hooked, longing, and in love with the impossible love that is between Finn and Emma. Tara Fuller does just that. Hooks sunk in deep. This book was hard to put down (so I didn't).

Finn the reaper who breaks all the rules is of course heroic, tragic and so sweet all you want to do is read more of him. The situation is so torturous, yet he's still with Emma and he saved her...risked his very self for her...so...you cheer, you cry and you long for him right along with his every move. I really like the way the author writes all this in, sort of pulls you into the tangles of the story slowly at the beginning until you ask questions and want to know the answers. What happened to Emma's dad and to Emma is so sad, and of course what keeps happening to Emma (sorry don't want to spoil but just know you will be turning the pages even more...oh yes you will...)

Enough about the awesome main characters, let's talk about the layers of plot and the cool sub characters that also can't get out of your mind. First: Easton (other reaper). Pretty much hoping for a second book here, and it's totally cool if it's all about Easton? Or...heck...even one about good guy Cash...he's a perfect best friend for Emma! In every way he's so cute. He's a loyal scene stealer to be sure. Maeve (the villain) is perfect and also a scene stealer and so dark and complicated. She's not your average boring one dimensional bad girl. She's got her reasons but again, evil and interesting and well written. Oh and one more thing... the cover is gorgeous. I'd waited for this book first because of this cover.

I can't say more without spoiling what this author set up so perfectly to reveal so I'll just end by saying this writer writes amazing romance, great friendships, sexy heros, a plot that moves fast with great set up at the start. If you love all that, then read this book. The creativity in this story and the heart wrenching romance will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chapter by Chapter's review of Inbetween, September 8, 2012
Let me just start this review off by saying that I absolutely loved this novel. It was scary, fast paced, romantic, and packed with the paranormal. Inbetween is beautifully crafted, fun and everything that a paranormal novel should be. Now that I have that out of my system, I'll start this off by saying how excited I was to start reading this novel--it's one that I've wanted to read for a long time and when I began it, I never wanted to stop.

Inbetween begins by introducing us to main characters Finn and Emma, both of whom have a past with each other, with only one of them being aware of that fact. It started off in a very awesome-sauce way, where we see Finn watch as Emma's Dad's soul is reaped and watch him break all the rules to keep Emma from dying. From the start we are introduced to Maeve, a poltergeist who is psychotic and was supposed to have Emma's life. The story does start out in a way that has readers a bit confused, but it's nothing that could drive you crazy because it's pretty obvious that you'll learn more about the mysterious past between the two main characters later on in the novel.

Basically, Inbetween is the story about Grim Reaper, Finn, who finds himself falling for the reincarnation of his once dead girlfriend and your regular human, Emma, who is living a life that shouldn't be hers. The two struggle with the fact that Finn is breaking every rule that the Keeper of the Reapers, Balthazar, has created to keep the dead from mixing with the living. Throughout the story, a psychotic ghost who should be living Emma's life attempts to kill her and adds in horrific scenes of terror and action that had my heart pounding in my chest.

The relationship between Finn and Emma was one that I found cute and risky because of the fact that rules were constantly being broken and Finn fights to not go corporeal and touch Emma--which would result in him going to Hell as punishment. Emma as a character, is one that I think many readers could relate to emotionally, over the fact that Emma's Dad died and her mother is moving on by getting a potential boyfriend.

There were multiple scenes that had me going "awww!" and had me screaming at the book for the main characters to defend themselves/defeat Maeve whenever she would strike. There is a major twist in the story that I have to admit I did not see coming and only gives readers more reason to hope that Finn can protect Emma from Maeve even more than he already has.

All in all a very fun and romantic read. Fans of Alyson Noel's the Immortals series and YA paranormal romances will definitely find themselves falling hard for Inbetween. And lucky for all of us, it's a series. Can I get a woot, woot?

5.0 out of 5 stars Ms. Fuller seriously knows how to write Heaven, Hell, and everything Inbetween., September 3, 2012
Finn is a reaper for the Inbetween. The Inbetween is kind of a sorting ground for souls. Finn remembers what it was like to be human, which is probably why he ends up in so much trouble. After a mistake years ago, Finn ends up with reaps that are designed to teach him a lesson. What that lesson is, he's not quite sure. Now he's ghostly stalking Emma, who's the reincarnation of Allison. Allison, is Finn's old love from the Inbetween. Finn also had Allison jump the line on reincarnation, taking the spot of someone else. Finn is torn between wanting to protect Emma and doing his job as a reaper. Everyone dies, but Finn doesn't want to see that happen to Emma.

That spot in line for reincarnation was supposed to be Maeve's spot. Now's she is a very pissed off spirit who is hell bent on making Finn hurt. The best way she knows to make him hurt is through Emma. Maeve causes several near death "accidents" that are targeted to kill Emma. Each time Maeve intends to harm Emma, she ups the ante

Emma doesn't know what to think about all of the accidents happening around her lately or the fact that every night when she dreams, she hears voices, and remembers things that she's never done. While attempting to figure out all of the strange things going on around her, she pretends to be normal so her mom will not send her back to the mental instution.

Finn's reaper friends are pretty awesome. Each of his friends know that Finn shouldn't follow Emma around and put off his reaper duties, but any time Finn asks for a favor they are always willing to help. Even if it's not always in Finn's best interest, it's what he wanted. Those are some pretty great friends to have. Easton is a reaper for hell, he is pretty emotionless. He believes that everyone makes their beds, so they can lie in them. Despite that belief, he really does not want to see Finn get into more trouble than he already is. Or end up in hell where, he knows exactly how horrible it is, even for just a quick visit to drop off souls. I really like Easton, he's one of those dark characters that just draw me in for some reason. Anaya is a reaper for Heaven and while she tells Finn it's a bad idea to get close to Emma and silently follow her around, she silently watches Cash. It's kind of like Anaya and Easton are Finn's own walking and talking conscious.

Cash is Emma's best friend who doesn't appear to be as damaged as he really is. He is Emma's opposite and their friendship really works. Even if Emma won't tell Cash what's truly going on with her. He's willing to do just about anything for her, even if Emma may seem crazy.

Inbetween is a fresh breath of creativity amongst the vast amount of paranormal books. The romance is torturous (but so good) where Finn can't touch Emma without breaking the rules and your'e just dying for him to break those rules. Ms. Fuller seriously knows how to write Heaven, Hell, and everything Inbetween.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing paranormal romance!, August 16, 2012
Honestly, I don't even know how to begin.

Lately, every paranormal novel I've read seems to be a cliche but Tara Fuller completely surprised me. Scratch that, she blew me away. Inbetween is a love story; epic, timeless love story which has been pulled off perfectly only a handful of times in YA novels. With all the fluff that I've come across in the paranormal genre lately, while I expected Inbetween to be an engrossing novel, I didn't expect to be sucked in as much as I did.

The story begins with Finn, a reaper of the Inbetween - a place between Heaven and Hell where some souls wander until they get sorted into one of the two places or be born again - going to collect a soul at a car crash. What he didn't see coming was the girl in the accident to be the love of his life afterlife, Allison, re-incarnated.

First off, I've read a few reaper stories and I loved Tara's take on them. Although the story focused more on the characters, the world-building's unique and so different from the other reaper stories that I've read. The concept of an 'Inbetween' area between Heaven and Hell made this book stand out from all the rest. Throw in the forbidden and intense love story, I'm hooked.

The characters, God, where do I begin? I'm attached to all of them. Easton is like Jughead from the Archie comics - he watches from the sidelines, he's friends with all the main characters and he has his significant role to play but it's subtle and he adds to the entertainment. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense right now.
As for Cash, I spent the first 150 pages not knowing who to root for, Cash or Finn, because I'm completely crushing on Cash right now. Finn might be the Romeo of this book but Cash is like..Adrian from VA - the guy you're going to swoon over even though you know that she's not going to end up with him. I noticed that this is a series and I'm crossing my fingers, hoping that the next one is about Cash and Anaya because while I loved Finn, I have a soft spot for a bad boy who's messed up and trying to figure himself out. Besides, he's adorable. You'd love him too.

Cash rolled his eyes "I always knew there was something wrong with you. Now turn around so I don't ruin you for other men."

Tara's added humour made this book complete. The Justin Beiber and Judy Blume references, along with the witty dialogues had me snorting quite a few times.

"Screw you. You're the one haunting a high school student."
"I'm not haunting her. I'm protecting her."

Inbetween has found itself a place on my favourites shelf and like I said, I can't wait to read the next book. It's an intense, emotional love story with an engaging plot, interesting world-building, wonderful writing and excellent supporting characters. This is one of those extremely rare books where the author has done everything right. Frankly, Tara Fuller just restored my faith in the genre; Inbetween gives me hope that there're still some good young adult paranormal romance stories out there (emphasis on the romance. Really, it's that good).
Fans of paranormal romance novels like Twilight (but with much better writing and smarter characters) and Fallen will enjoy this (I think)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inbetween life and death is a beautiful story..., August 16, 2012
Words cannot describe how much I love this romantic story about life (or the after life) after death... For me, INBETWEEN by Tara Fuller compares to the novels for What Dreams May Come or Wings of Desire/City of Angels... for teens.

I encourage you not to be turned off my the simplicity of the cover design. INBETWEEN starts off with one of the most devastating of situations, which forces a young(ish) male reaper to once again save the life of the girl he loves, which at the same time causes her to lose someone she loves. The unfolding of these events, and the eventual realization of what the reaper, Finn, has been having to deal with decade after decade, really develops the emotional impact of the story for the reader. INBETWEEN is a surprisingly dark tale at its core, yet light and whimsical in its telling.

The story is told in the alternating views of both Finn and his soul mate, Emma. I found myself immediately taken by Finn, hoping that his story would somehow end up alright. Not without her own skeletons, Emma was also a character I developed a connection to immediately. The poor girl, she really has had no control over her situation. Who would have thought that a love that should have been so simple would have so many dire ramifications? Her soul is the cause of so much sadness, in addition to so much love and joy. She is blamed for so much... Any girl would go crazy in her shoes. Yet, through it all, Emma has a strength that I find admirable. She is not one to give up easily.

I found the motives behind the character's actions to be quite strong. Characters who turn out to be the antagonists in the story have their reasons for doing the things they do. Given the paranormal nature of the story, the character's emotions were strongly based in reality. Although I may not agree with them, their motives are there AND understandable. You almost question the fine line between good and "evil". It further solidifies that love and life are never easy (even if the love scenes sure are swoontastic!)

INBETWEEN has firmly latched its hooks (or scythe!) into this reader and ensured that I will be the first in line to read book 2 when it is available. If you have been searching for a good book about reincarnation and reapers, your search is over. Pick up INBETWEEN today.

Oh, and as for Easton, Anaya and Cash, they EACH deserve a story of their own. Just sayin'. ;)

Inbetween (Kissed by Death)
$4.99