Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on November 30, 2012
I thought way too long about a case for my iPhone 5. I researched iPhone 5 drop tests and 5 cases for about a day. By reviewing the drop tests I discovered the new design of the 5 protects the glass by having it flush with the body's metal casing. I cringed, watching youtube, as some kid pulled a 5 out of the box and started dropping it on concrete from pocket height, then shoulder height, then arms raised length. It survived! It wasn't until the kid dropped it with a throwing motion that the glass cracked. There is another video of a 5 vs its competitor. Again, great impact resistance.

So I concluded the 5 doesn't need much protection to survive normal drops. You just need something to prevent scratches if dropped. The incase snap case does just that. It even has a small lip on the face-side edges which prevents the glass from getting scratched.

I got the clear case. It is form fitting and allows you to see the sleek design of the phone. I don't understand why people get thick cases that cover up everything but the screen? Show off that sexy phone! The back of the 5 is as cool as the front of the phone. I didn't want to cover that up.

This case is just what I wanted... minimum protection (it's a tough phone), a perfect fit, and it still allows you to see your phone, almost to the point you wonder if the phone has a case at all.
33 comments34 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2012
The Incase Snap was my favorite case on my iPhone 4. Low profile, durable, frosted smoke looked good and it was not too "grabby" and not too slippery. It protected my iPhone 4 on at least three drops on the street.

On to the iPhone 5 Snap case: Ordering the Snap for my iPhone 5 was a no brainer for me. It has the same design as the Snap for the iPhone 4 with one crucial difference. Incase decided to cut corners on production costs for the iPhone 5 version and did NOT coat the inside with rubber. The iPhone 4 version was coated uniformly on all sides with a matte rubber coating. It is what separated the Incase Snap from the competition. The iPhone 5 version is not coated on the inside. Being that the iPhone 5 is more scratch prone than the 4, it is important for the case to be soft on the inside as well. I have read other reviews of iPhone 5 cases that are plastic on the inside scratching the phone. In these reviews the reviewers state that the plastic itself scratches it on install or removal or the grit that gets trapped between the case and the phone has no rubber cushion and gets scratched that way. Not wanting to scratch my phone I wanted to avoid a case that had plastic contact areas. Another thing that the rubber coating on the inside did was keep the case from creaking. All of these snap type cases have a little give on the sides, even when they fit well. If the inside isn't coated then they creak when you press on the sides. That's irritating and it's inexcusable on a $30 case.

It's unfortunate to see that Incase pulled this move. People pay a premium for the brand expecting a level of fit and finish above that of cheaper cases. The way I see it this is pure greed. It is just a piece of rubber coated plastic after all and they can't even coat both sides? No more Incase cases for me. They got my $30 for the last time. Never again. Hope their bean counters are happy...

In all other areas the case is good. Cut outs are perfect. Fit is good.
22 comments17 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2012
I didn't see the reviews about the case being a knock-off before I ordered it. So, I held off reviewing it until some time passed. I did notice that it sold for $10.00 less than on the Apple site. I've been a mechanical engineer for 20+ years and imho, the case is built very well. Material is the right thickness, no problems taking the case on or off, feels good in your hand and protects the phone. I've dropped my iPhone numerous times and the case stayed on and the phone was not damaged. I compared the pictures of the case displayed on Amazon and Apple and the only difference I noticed is a slightly angled parting line around the "incase" name vs. a straight one showed in the pics. I attribute this to a die change from the intital design. Other than that, I'd say buy it and if you think you got a knock-off, return it, but mine is not.
on March 5, 2013
Long time listener, first time caller. I just received an iPhone from my company and although they gave me the go-ahead to buy a case for it, I almost opted out because the black iPhone 5 is so slick looking--the problem is that it isn't only slick looking, it's actually quite slick. I figured I might as well protect the thing while it's still lookin' like a hundred bucks (or however much these things are worth) so I went for a case that was going to detract from the overall beauty of the thing as least as possible, which led me to incase. This case is great; it's minimal, but doesn't feel cheap. It's snug and hugs the phone like a glove; it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere, but it isn't difficult to remove (which I just did to see if it left any scratches on the phone: it did not). It has a soft semi-rubber feel to it, which helps keep it in your hands. It does show some of the oils from your hands, but they wipe away easy. It may just be plastic, but I definitely feel better about putting the phone in a pocket or the table now that it's protected.
on January 3, 2014
I stupidly ignored all the bad reviews and bought two of these cases because the ones my wife and I had on our iPhone 4's were great. These are NOT the same at all. Just like everyone else says, within only a couple days of simple light use the coating started peeling off and flaking, making them look awful. In addition, they don't even fit properly when they snap on. You can see the metal edge on one side, but not on the other.

These cases are absolutely horrible. Do yourself a favor and don't "take the chance". It's not worth it!
on February 1, 2013
After purchasing my iPhone 5, I wanted a case that would allow me to enjoy the original appearance of the phone, not add to much thickness/weight, and also provide adequate protection. I had good experience with the Incase Snap Case for iPhone 4, so I figured I would give the iPhone 5 case a shot. Needless to say, my expectations were surpassed.

Granted, the iPhone doesn't feel like it does without a case, but the case doesn't make it feel like a brick either. I like the feelof the plastic and never get the sense that the phone is going to slide out of my hand, even when my hands are sweaty in warmer weather. In terms of protection, I have definitely put it to the test. My phone literally flew out of my hand as I was waving to a friend at a gas station (yes, you all know that slow-motion moment of horror as watch your phone head toward its impending doom) and it landed right on the corner of the unit. The damage to the case was localized to that one corner (cracked), but the phone itself was unscathed! The damage isn't very noticeable, so I am able to continue using it.

I loved this case so much that I also bought one for my fiancee and parents. Regardless of the black/white iPhone model, they all love its sleek appearance and protection. I believe that Incase has found the perfect balance between thickness and protection.
on December 7, 2013
I wanted a clear case for my gold iPhone 5S that would provide some scratch protection but didn't destroy the aesthetics of my phone and this case does that. The back and sides of the phone are protected with cut outs on the top, side and bottom of the phone for easy access to all the ports and phone controls. The four corners on the front of the case are raised a bit so when the phone is placed face down, the screen does not touch a flat surface. I coupled this case with a front screen protector which was bought separately. A screen protector is not included with this case. If you are looking for a case with strong drop protection, then this case is not for you. But if you are looking for a case for scratch protection and phone aesthetics, this case is an excellent choice.
on July 31, 2013
Upon delivery and removing the case from the packaging I see that some of the matte frosting is flaking off the phone case.
Needing a phone case because I just got a new Iphone 5 I said ok, just deal with it and see what happens.

My mistake, I should have returned the case immediately, no more than 3 days later, flaking on the edges and around the screen occured. I went to incase's site to see if I could possibly get a exchange.

No luck their warranty does not cover this. They know their phone case products have issue's yet they try to improve the product.
They just keep taking peoples money.

In the end I will never again purchase a Incase case again.
on December 31, 2013
Obvious counterfeit when compared side by side with real item. Build quality miles behind actual brand - lots of sharp edges and edge scuffs on product as received, was possibly even used.
on February 10, 2013
I had this case on my iphone 4 as the free one from Apple when they were having the controversy over the antenna. I liked it very much. I did crack the upper left corner, which seems vulnerable on the new one as well.
I received this one very quickly, and it looks good on the white iphone 5, but I could live without the black circle around the camera lens and flash. It's supposed to dampen flash feedback, but I don't notice that it helps, and it detracts from the look of the phone.
A defect that I will live with, is that the right side is not as deep as the left. This leaves the right side of the face of the phone without any lip at all to protect it. When placed face down (or dropped - gasp). It also causes the case to be lopsided, thus the back left side grips tighter and shows what appears to be a "wet" area. Not a deal breaker, but disappointing. It must be a manufacturing defect, probably on incase's side. Also, on the left side rail is a "made in china" that is backwards(!). I don't mind the incase trademark on the right rail.
The price at Amazon is almost half that at the apple store, so yay for amazon.