Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

Inception (Blu-ray)
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$7.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

On the surface Inception seems to be a crime caper, complete with master of disguise Eames (Tom Hardy), planner Aridane (Ellen Page), point man Arthur (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), and master thief Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio). But it's so much more than that, taking place in dreams within dreams within dreams.

Inception, like Total Recall and The Matrix, is about perception. The audience is never sure what reality is because the protagonist isn't sure what's real. There are clues providing evidence for the real/not real theories, but the best movies of this type don't come down on one side or another. Total Recall ultimately had enough clues indicating the "right" way. The Matrix stumbled after it made it clear that reality was fiction, thereby losing an audience who enjoyed the tantalizing mystery. Like so many mysteries, once the truth was revealed it wasn't quite as exciting as we all hoped. Inception wisely avoids providing answers.

Inception is also a thought experiment. The central conceit of Inception is that once you put a thought in someone's head it's like a virus, incapable of being removed. In fact, attempting to not think about the idea causes the mind to just focus on it more. This concept, a key tenet of neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), is part of how our brains are wired. Director Chris Nolan knows exactly what he's doing when the characters explain the premise. It is the key argument between Cobb and his wife Mal (Marion Cotillard): is this life just a dream?

Once you get it into your head as to which of them is right, Inception burrows into your psyche and you see all the evidence you need to reinforce the idea. There are enough discrepancies to suspect that Cobb's stuck in a dream, but there are enough rules defining reality that indicate otherwise. Unless, of course, you believe that Cobb is fooling himself by making up said rules to convince himself he's not in a dream when he actually is. If that sounds confusing, Inception's done its job.

Inception is a little too long in places, testing the viewer's patience as it delves four levels deep into the subconscious, each with different timeframes, settings, and plots. Part of the fun is watching the movie again to look for clues that reinforce what we secretly thought we knew all along.

Me? I'm convinced I know the truth. But then maybe Inception put that idea in my head.
3232 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This movie was original, well-written, and well-acted. The story was creative, fresh, and engrossing. One of the best films I have seen in years. I really don't understand the bad reviews on here. I realize you cannot please everyone, but calling this movie "terrible" or saying that the experience of watching it was "nightmare" seems a bit extreme. If you don't like something, that's cool. I get that. Say something like "I didn't like it, not my type of movie" or "the effects were cool, but I didn't think the story made sense" or "this movie wasn't what I expected, here is what I was looking for..."
Those types of comments can be helpful. But saying the movie is shyte, or saying "I hate it" or "it sucks" is not very helpful.

I liked this movie because it was not like anything I have seen before. I thought it was exciting and engaging, the story really pulled me in, and held me tight, never letting go until the credits rolled. Lots of good action and effects, but the STORY and the acting is what separates this movie from other, lesser flicks. The performances were fantastic, I am not a huge DiCaprio fan, but he has done some great work here.

I watched this movie with my mom (66 yrs old), and my cousin (18 yrs old), and I am 42. We all loved it....if this movie can appeal to 3 different "generations" and both genders, they must be doing something right!

Great flick, great story, great acting, great effects, what else are you looking for?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2010
This is one of the best movies I saw this year. The plot is deep and very detailed. The movie can seem confusing to some but watching twice really is worth it. You'll definitely catch anything little detailed you missed the first time. Christopher Nolan's writing and directing skills have always been great and they will not disappoint in this movie. The movie is mind boggling and definitely worth the purchase.

As for the Steelbook, the packaging is great. It includes 2 Blu-ray discs, one being the Movie and the Other Special Features. Digital copy is included as a download and not on DVD. However, a DVD version of the film is included so you can watch on any DVD player.
review image review image
on July 19, 2010
BLU-RAY:

I just finished watching Inception for the second time. The Blu-ray is amazing. The PQ and AQ are perfect in every way. I did notice that the video was not as sharp, crisp, or clear as The Dark Knight. However it was very, very good. The audio is very bass heavy, but is up there with some of the best Blu-ray AQ I have heard. The movie was stunning all the way through and after another watch it is just as good if not better than the first time I watched it.

The special features are great. Disc two is full of behind the scenes and a dream documentary by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. On the first disc there is expansion mode which takes you behind the scenes and shows you each special effects scene and all which went into creating it. It is really interesting to watch. Very little CGI special effects were used on this film. They actually did most of the stunts or build huge models. It was really cool to watch.

MOVIE:

I went into Inception thinking very positive and with high hopes that this will be one of my new favorite movies. I based this simply on the trailer. I was not let down in the slightest, and I was blown away by the originality and creativity of the film. The directing, acting, and cinematography were all amazing. It is a beautiful film.

After seeing Inception I will have a hard time watching any other movie ever again. Anything else would seem boring and useless. I went to see The Expendables in theaters. Horrible. I couldn't understand what the interest in this film was. It was just violence and explosions; No story or plot. Just useless violence.

I can see where people may think of Inception as something similar to the theme of the Matrix. It sort of has the same basic idea of people being hooked up to a machine, leaving their bodies and going somewhere else. Besides that, there wasn't much at all which reminded me of the Matrix. Each scene held its own new originality in the most creative way as possible.

As far as Inception being hard to follow... well, I had no trouble following it at all. The three friends and my eleven-year-old brother had no trouble following it. I believe people who are more open minded would follow and understand it much better than people who are not willing to believe the story. Parts are incredible to believe, but you have to be open and let the story take place.

The creativity and attention to each shot and scene really paid off in the end. The film was perfect in every way in my opinion. Things were done which we have never seen before and it was done so well. It has set a new standard for films, at least in my mind. The directing style is similar to The Dark Knight, however they seemed to give Christopher Nolan more creative freedom with Inception.

The acting was top notch. I liked that Leo's character, Cobb, seemed a little weak minded at times. Usually he plays a strong character, but in this film his character had a weakness. Joseph Gordon-Levitt played a larger role than I expected. I was impressed with his character as well. Most of the crazy stunts, anti-gravity, jumping off walls and fighting people in mid air kind of stuff were with his character. Very cool. Ellen Page played a young architect which is hired to build cities within a person's mind. She did a great job as well. Each character was so well thought out and everyone added just the right amount to perfectly blend each character into the story.

If you're a fan of films which touch on subjects which most movies dare not go, you owe it to yourself to see this film. You won't be disappointed. I am very glad I got to see it on the big screen.

Video

Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1 (less)

Subtitles

English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese (less)

Discs

50GB Blu-ray Disc
Three-disc set (2 BDs, 1 DVD)
Digital copy (on disc)
DVD copy
Bonus View (PiP)
BD-Live
6464 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 10, 2011
The Set: It's not totally necessary for the fan, but the shooting script and packaging is pretty cool. There's nothing new on the disc itself, you just get a booklet with this edition. I don't regret the extra pennies however, because it was definately worth the extra five bucks it was at the time.

The Movie: What can I say that hasn't already been said. It's a one of a kind film, that no one will be able to replicate. It's fantastic and it instantly became my favorite film of all time. Yes, I will say it. He topped The Dark Knight. The film is just so unique, and it has as many layers as its dreams do. I was blown away more than I have with any other film.

This edition may be way more expensive than its worth by the time you're reading this. The extra script-book is nowhere near worth an extra 20 bucks. But if you're a collector, by all means go for it. The most important thing, is that the blu-ray itself is the same as the other editions. Speaking of which, the blu-ray is pretty awesome in quality and features. It definately delivered, where The Dark Knight lacked in the behind the scenes dept. The movie looks astonishing. I encourage you to not put out the extra bucks for this set, but you must own a copy of Inception one way or another.
on August 24, 2010
Thank god there was one movie this summer not based on a comic book, a previous movie, television show, Disney ride, or candy wrapper. You actually had to invest some functioning brain activity to follow the plot and keep up with four simultaneous finales going on at the same time within different dream levels. And the ending was open to your own feelings or interpretation. Was he still in a dream or not? If you were still on board and paying attention, you may have noticed Leonardo's character didn't really care at that point, so why should we? It was a fun ride.
4848 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
`Inception' is a hard movie to judge. Basically, it is a mind-bender, and as such should be judged by two criteria: How good of a mind-bender is it? And, How much does it create a realm of its own with phenomena and rules of causality that work consistently?

In my mind `Inception,' despite some derivative elements, is an inventive movie that provides mind-enveloping reactions well after the viewing is over. Much like Lynch's `Inland Empire' before it, the movie coalesces well into one's imagination and lingers in the mind for days to come.

Being brief with the story is difficult, and I'm sure by now you've probably digested a great deal of material elsewhere. Washed up on an Asian seashore, American businessman, Cobb (Di Caprio) meets with an elderly leader to obtain a contract and defeat his enemies. To accomplish this, he offers to perform an "extraction," a means of obtaining secrets from a person`s subconscious during one's dream life. In the midst of their negotiations, an entire village riots and takes over the building where they meet, and Cobb and his sidekick, Arthur, (Gordon-Levitt) fight and flee to save their lives....

In this beginning scene the lines are partially drawn between dreams and awakening, but the surrealistic landscape also provides Nolan ample opportunities to provide his trademark action-adventure for his science fiction saga.

Cobb later meets an old professor (Caine) who sagely links him to a prodigy student, Ariadne, (Page) who can assist him with his next assignment and help straighten out his perspective and proper use of inceptions, or the use of subliminal persuasion, participating in another's subconscious perceptions and manipulating them during their dreams. In their first assignment together, he plans to have a rich man's son and heir, Robert Fischer (Murphy) change his mind about his father's will, so he will be able to either obtain or sabotage his inheritance.

There are dreams, and there are dreams within dreams, and one of Cobb's plans is to have three levels of dreaming going on at once to have the most persuasive power on Fisher.

Intertwined are revelations from Cobb's subconscious, revealed with Ariadne, who joins him on his subliminal journey and witnesses some of his life-changing events with his wife (Cotillard). In a partial revelation, Cobb admits he included his wife in some of his dream work with complications that has created strife in their relationship.

As you might imagine, problems develop that make the operation work less neatly and easily as planned, so discerning what level of dreaming and what level of reality are taking place also becomes blurred. The exposition and details are laid out more concretely than Lynch's worlds, but the caveats others have placed about paying attention are well founded.

Besides the mood of mind-benders like Lynch's `Mulholland Drive,' Nolan has borrowed and alchemized elements from inventive movies like the truly excellent Japanese anime' adventure `Paprika' and movies like 'The Cell,' but the results are truly new and effective.

I have to admit my biases. I love mind-benders, and it's no accident that Christopher Nolan and David Lynch are at the top of my list of favorite directors. This creates a problem because if you love mind-benders as a rule, it is sometimes difficult to separate effective works from those that don't work as well.

I was originally wavering between four and five stars for this film based on the ending. I'll give no details for that, but, I've decided, like 'Inland Empire' before it, `Inception' may seem abrupt, but its import as a surrealistic experience is nearly as mind-altering. 'Inception' deserves attention, awards, multiple viewings, and the time needed for a truly rewarding film experience. If you love Lynch's work, you will probably also love 'Inception,' but one could concede this movie isn`t as effective at playing with your noodle. On the other hand, if you find Lynch's films to be frustrating or too abstract, then Nolan's 'Inception' may give you a more satisfying sense of concreteness and closure overall.

(Tom Berenger and Ken Watanabe join an outstanding cast for a taut movie experience.)

(Some loose ends of `Inception' have been tightened from information from imdb.)
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2013
I love this movie, it's one of my favorite ever. Definitely worth upgrading to the steelbook version. It feels nice, looks nice, and has a unique back cover that wasn't on the regular bluray one. As with most steelbooks, no digital copy. But hey, can't complain since I already have a dc from the original bluray version.
on September 15, 2010
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

Inception (2010) is a brilliant film - intelligent, exciting and dazzling. When the award season comes, and it is not nominated for editing, screenplay, music, cinematography, set decoration, art direction, and directing by Nolan, I'll be very surprised. Nolan is highly talented as both director and writer and should be recognized for the amazing achievement which his new film is. By the words of writer/director, "the key to completing the script was wondering what would happen if several people shared the same dream... Once you remove the privacy, you've created an infinite number of alternative universes in which people can meaningfully interact, with validity, with weight, with dramatic consequences." Inception feels like The Matrix on steroids with the impossible structures of M.C Escher coming to life, with some ideas shared with Solaris and the short stories by Jorge Luis Borges such as The Circular Ruins and The Secret Miracle, and with the script that would do honor to Charlie Kaufman. In my dream world, I want Nolan and Kaufman work together and I would love to stay in the alternative reality they'd create. I would not mind the totem top spinning endlessly advising me that I am in the dream world of Nolan's and Kaufman's imagination. As it is, the film is a great entertainment, the real feast for brains, senses and feelings. There are so many references to the studies of the most mysterious stage of human brain, dream state, specifically, lucid dream. There are the nods everywhere to the previous films, mythology archetypes, literature and art works. I found particularly touching the use of the Edith Piaf's song, Non, je ne regrette rien and casting as one of the main characters of the film Marion Cottilard, the 2008 Oscar winner for playing Edith Piaf. Acting in the film is pleasure all around, starting with Leonardo Di Caprio (Hey, someone give him an Oscar already) as an expert in stealing the ideas out of the human brains in the lucid dream state, who has to perform the opposite task of inception the idea in someone's brain. Everyone was memorable and well-cast including Joseph Gordon-Levitt whom I like in every film I've seen him, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, Cillian Murphy, Michael Caine, and already mentioned Cottilard. My favorite performance is by Ellen Page as Ariadne - what a fitting and appropriate name for the Architect of the dream world's sets and mazes and the guide inside the labyrinth just like her mythological namesake princess on the island of Crete. With all its complexity, reality within dreams, many layers of subconscious, projection and manifestation of the dreams, three or even more states of dreams all played off each other and communicating with each other and the wake state, the film in its core tells a very simple story about one man's burning desire to go home to these whom he loved the most but couldn't be with. It is about love, guilt, creating and living the dream, and finally letting it go. It is an action thriller sc-fi heist that simultaneously plays in four or even more different level of subconscious but with the real feelings and emotions. It is spectacular. It is the best Christopher Nolan's film I've seen and in the very end of his film he wants us to acknowledge that everything we saw has been designed by him. He is the architect of all layers of dream. We are in his dream and that's why the totem keeps spinning and never stops as the screen turns black.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Christopher Nolan has already created a niche in cinematic history with the few in number but huge in impact films he has made. What Nolan manages to do with his storytelling is request, no, insist that his audience thinks - and that is such a change from the usual fare on the screens these days. His 'MEMENTO' is as intellectually dynamic as his more traditional in content 'THE DARK KNIGHT', 'BATMAN BEGINS', 'INSOMNIA' and 'PRESTIGE' are in spectacular use of the cinema as an art form. He takes all that one step further with 'INCEPTION', a strangely very personal inquiry into the world of our dreams, aided by a story that challenges us to stay with him through 148 minutes of tension and special effects used as no other director to date has dared.

The plot is so thick and seemingly fragmented at times that even Nolan has been said that he didn't always know where the ideas were born. Essentially it is about dream invasion, a futuristic concept that by entering the dreams of competitors or opponents, possibilities/ideas/truths can be found in one of the most startling permutations of identity theft yet described: if dreams can be entered and examined and altered then many things can be changed by the 'dream thief'. The cast is absolutely remarkable - actors who can take an idea so strange and pull the audience with them through an experience that can be at times challenging to follow. Leonardo DiCaprio, growing with each film he makes, is joined by his troops Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ken Watanabe, Dileep Rao, Ellen Page, and Tom Hardy to explore the minds/alterable dreams of Cillian Murphy, Tom Berenger, and Pete Pete Postlethwaite. Along the way of this venture DiCaprio must cope with his encounters with his wife of the past, Marion Cotillard. Oh, and throw in Michael Caine as DiCaprio's father to flesh out a truly stellar cast.

It is a fascinating ride, and though there are portions that seems to go on too long (the episodes in the snow, the loss of gravity in the elevator shaft, etc), the film is truly unique. it would probably be well to see it twice: the first time for the astonishing affect it has on the viewer, the second time to better appreciate all the little clues dropped along the way that would make the story more accessible. Grady Harp, August 10
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...