on January 1, 2002
....I LOVE Incesticide. And I must be the only Nirvana fan on the planet whose favorite song is Big Long Now. Why is this song so ignored? My god, the words, the haunting melody, the haunting vocals... ....
I won't get into analysing the songs and interpreting them blow-by-blow, but I will say that Kurt Cobain uses at least 7 different voices on this CD, and that each song is melodically and instrumentally genuine and original. The cover songs are also brilliant.
And here's just a little tidbit I have to mention: I became a Nirvana fan only quite recently. I was slightly too young for the whole Nirvana craze of 1991, and the tragedy of 1994.
But when I recently purchased Nevermind, I was hooked. Now, I purchased that album of course because that was "the one to get". HOWEVER, in a matter of one week, I had heard both In Utero and Incesticide, and quite honestly I don't think the big blaring "WARNING"-s are all that important for first-time listeners of the less-commercial Nirvana, if those listeners know good music when they hear it. This is just pure, glorious music with a brain, the kind where you can't predict the ending before the song is halfway through. The kind that you can't sing along to all that easily. The kind where you have to make an effort, for god's sake.
If the pop sap of today's various 'NStynks didn't drain you of your senses, get this CD. Don't be hesitant. And get Bleach and In Utero with it. There's more to Nirvana than Nevermind and Unplugged, as utterly fabulous as those two are (and my goodness, they are!). It might take a couple of listenings to get used to Incesticide. But only a couple. The quality will then speak for itself.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Incesticide was released to capitalize on the mammoth success of Nevermind. The album collects early singles, b-sides and outtakes. The album was most people's introduction to the fact that the band had released music prior to Nevermind. The album's first two songs, "Dive" & "Sliver", made up the band's first single. They are both short, but extremely powerful. The album contains some incredible work in addition to "Dive" and "sliver", most notably "Aneurysm". The song is a furious workout with squealing guitars , feedback, power drumming and amid all the noise, an incredible catchy melody. Other strong cuts include "Molly's Lips", "Beeswax", "Stain" "Hairspray Queen" and "Been A Son". There are some forgettable numbers like "Mexican Seafood" and "Aero Zeppelin", but overall, Incesticide is better than your average compilation.
on May 3, 2003
here are all of the tracks and why i love them:
Dive:9/10 good bass at the beginning, but it gets repetitive
Sliver:10/10 i love this song. the lyrics are a little strange, but what do you expect from Kurt?
Stain: 8/10 i don't like this song as much as the others. i don't know why
Been a Son: 9/10 the lyrics are pretty cynical, this song is about Kurt's sister (i think)
Turnaround:10/10 a great cover of a great band (Devo)
Molly's Lips: 8/10 i might appreciate it more if i heard the original one by the Vaselines
Son of a gun: 10/10. this is one of my favorite songs. i don't know why.
(New Wave) Polly: 7/10 the Unplugged version is the best.
Beeswax: 8/10 i like the drums in the beginning and the chorus.
Downer: 10/10. another favorite. it was originally on Bleach (another great cd) and eventually made its way here and onto Wishka.
Mexican Seafood: 9/10 good, but strange.
Hairspray Queen: 10/10 my third favorite. kinda hard to understand but very very good.
Areo Zeppelin 20/10 ok, so my rating is a little over the top. but this is hands-down the most under-appreciated song of the 90s. a lot of people don't feel that way, but i do. my favorite song on the cd, the hidden gem
Big Long Now:8/10 it's good, but kinda sounds depressing.
Aneurysm:10/10 my second favorite. it starts out in distortion, then gets calm, then does that over again until they get to the lyrics (then it continues) this is sorta like switching between two different songs that sound good together. my second favorite.
overall cd:10/10
maybe someday, when people get over the poser rock that dominates the airways these days, they'll finally notice the raw beauty of Incesticide.
R.I.P. Kurt Cobain
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is my second favourite Nirvana record (after Bleach). It's a compilation of various outtakes, b-sides, and also BBC radio sessions. The album opens in fantastic style, with the super-rockin' "Dive", followed by (in my opinion) the best ever Nirvana song, "Sliver" (which is totally unlike anything else they did). From then on, the album is split into two distinct halves. The first half is very happy, cheerful stuff, with a whole lot of covers (some from The Vaselines, and a brilliant Devo cover). This is Nirvana at their most happy. The second half is mostly Bleach-outtakes, and so is a lot heavier and not so friendly to the listener. It also sees Kurt messing around a lot with his voice, trying out different stuff. It takes a while to get into the second half of the album, but it's well worth it. There is some great music going down here. "Beeswax", "Mexican Seafood" and "Hairspray Queen" all have killer tunes. Check out the bassline on "Hairspray Queen" - I love that damn bassline! "Downer" is a great song, which is also the last track on the Bleach CD. "Beeswax" has some potentially-very-crazy-and-cool lyrics. All in all, this is a really great grab-bag of stuff. Lots of cool songs - Buy it!
on November 9, 1998
'Incesticide' is what it is: A great album of b-sides but not a truly great album. I love this album, don't get me wrong. I love Nirvana, and if you love Nirvana then you will love this. "Dive", the opening track, is a mediocre tune. The best part of this track is the drums. "Sliver" is one of the best Nirvana songs. The music is fun, and the lyrics are sad. "Been A Son" is a great look into Cobain's hatred of rednecks. "Molly's Lips" is another cover tune that is pure punk joy (alot like "Love Buzz"). "Aneurysm" is the most popular out of all the songs on 'Incesticide'. My favorite track on this album though is "Big Long Now". Its kind of like a bad acid trip that eventually leads to insanity. Also you should check out "Aero Zepplin" and "Hairspray Queen". If you like Nirvana, buy 'Incesticide'. If you only liked 'Nevermind' don't bother. This is Nirvana in thier pure punk attitude.
VINE VOICEon July 15, 2000
When I bought this quietly released collection of Nirvana B-sides back in 1993, I was astounded at the high quality of music from top to bottom, no different from all other Nirvana albums. If this is the bottom of the barrel for Nirvana, then other bands might as well pack it in right now and find something else to do. Strangely, a reviewer in Rolling Stone magazine claimed "Incesticide" displayed Nirvana's tendancy to "fail" on occassion. I'm not exactly sure what that person was listening to, because "Incesticide" is top-notch, A-side stuff.

The first and last songs on "Incesticide" are classic Nirvana. Sandwiched in between is Kurt Cobain at arguably his rawest, most fruitfully creative peak. With no pressure of a new studio album on his hands, Cobain lets these early Nirvana songs flow out naturally, one after another. This is very exciting music. The leadoff track, "Dive," is a heavy-handed reminder as to why these guys were the best in the world when they toured and made albums together. With a searing shout-along chorus, thumping drums and a tuned-down guitar sound, it's one of Nirvana's best songs ever. Three other outstanding songs come in the form of cover songs: "Turnaround," "Molly's Lips" and "Son of a Gun" all display Cobain's unique and obscure taste in music, especially simple pop music with a punk flavor. The guy had a knack for picking excellent, yet obscure, songs by other bands and putting his own cool spin on them. He was a master songwriter who had an amazingly keen ear for melody, writing punk songs that mainstream music listeners could easily enjoy.

After "(New Wave) Polly," "Incesticide" turns decidedly more quirky, yet no less engaging. If you dig Nirvana even a little bit, you'll enjoy songs like "Beeswax," "Mexican Seafood" and the perversely classic rock sound of "Aero Zeppelin." But it's "Aneurysm" that steals the show on the back-half of the album, and as awesome as it sounds, a better demo version exists on a rare Nirvana album that I own. It sometimes seems like the rawer these guys sounded, the better they were.

The punk/pop music on this record is not to be missed. These songs have a somewhat brighter sound than the ones on Bleach, while retaining a naturalness and a lack of polish that so predominated (and ruined, in Kurt Cobain's mind) the sound on Nevermind. Cobain had his hand all over this record, from the actual writing of the songs to the cover artwork to an interesting message he leaves in the CD booklet. He nearly always gave his fans their money's worth, and this album is no exception. Another Nirvana can never exist.
on March 20, 2002
I am going around reviewing Nirvana's obscure records, because I somehow figure Incesticide could use another review more than Nevermind, with its 650+.
LOL, at 5,000-something Amazon.com sales rank, I wonder if there's anyone out there who knows this little corner of Amazon.com even exists, let alone wants to buy the CD, but it doesn't make it any less cool and, in my opinion, HILARIOUS, :o).
I dislike 3 songs on this CD-- Mexican Seafood (which I guess is just not my type of, um, humor); new wave Polly, because while the acoustic and electric versions of this song *rock*, this one seems out of place. It's a serious song, it doesn't sound good at a ridiculous punk speed.
And, well, Downer, which just doesn't go anywhere (and yet managed to get onto not one, but 2 Nirvana records, drat).
But come on, disliking 3 out of 15 songs for someone as picky as me is a new record. Especially for a B-sides collection.
The interesting thing about Incesticide, in my opinion, is that lots of its songs are more accessible than the majority of Bleach, and far more accessible than Endless Nameless from Nevermind. And maybe even Territorial Pissings. If you like these songs, which I do, and if you wanna listen to something other than Nevermind, which is a long shot, then it's completely safe to buy Incesticide. :oP
I like it as much as Bleach, and basically think that while it's not as essential as Nevermind, In Utero, or Unplugged (whaddya know, for once I agree with Amazon's essential-picks!) it's money well wasted if you wanna see a funny side of Nirvana.
So let me get on with this: Beeswax, Aneurysm, Sliver, Stain, Turnaround, and especially Hairspray Queen with its orgasmic ending (literally), are HILARIOUS songs. I totally agree with the reviewer who said the beginning of Aneurysm and it's pace-changes crack him up. Songs like Dive, Big Long Now, and Aero Zeppelin shouldn't BE on a B-sides album, period.
And Molly's Lips and Son of a Gun are just another piece of proof that Kurt Cobain was kickass at song covers (see Unplugged).
When my strictly-Smells like Teen Spirit friend heard Hairspray Queen she was like "what's with the squealing"? But the second time she heard it, she started paying attention and thought it was funny. I can't promise you'll feel the same way, but if you like music anything more than while vacuuming, you just might appreciate Incesticide's eccentricities. Which, by the way, don't exist in mainstream music.
Oh, and the Rolling Stone dudes don't know what the hell they're talking about.
on January 27, 2012
The reason this is often overlooked by the average rock fan is because Nirvana's record label barely promoted it at all and only released one single off of it (that single being "Sliver"). I think that this album in a way represents all aspects and sounds of Nirvana. None of the songs are bad, but some of them may not resonate with certain parts of the band's fanbase. The best way to breakdown the songs, since all the songs are good in their own right, is to identify each song here to one of Nirvana's studio albums:

Bleach: Downer, Stain, Beeswax, Mexican Seafood, Hairspray Queen, Aero Zeppelin, Big Long Now

Nevermind: Dive, Sliver, Been a Son, Molly's Lips, Son of A Gun, New Wave Polly, Aneurysm

In Utero: Turnaround

With the exception of the last comparison, all those songs were recorded during the same time period. The bottom line is that this is Nirvana at their most raw, experimental, and punk rock for the most part of the album. Don't miss it because I've never heard anything like it since this album and it's a great album.

BUY IT.
on February 12, 2003
This was nirvana's unheard of album. I was amazed at the first time I heard it. Incesticide introduced me to punk rock. The first 3 songs are amazing. The first song Dive, makes you want to dive into him because kurt is begging you to and forcing you to sing with him. Sliver was in my opinion Nirvana's popiest song. I find myself singing it over and over again even though I have not played the album in weeks, because I fear that I'm going to play the album out of listening comprehension. Stain is a favorite of mine because of the lyrics, hearing him sing "I'm a stain" makes me feel like im not the only waste of space in this world. The album loses it's edge for a while in the middle. Nirvana does their cover of the vaselines and then does a new wave version of Polly which is much faster and better than their previous effort on Nevermind. The songs start to drift into grunge and the lyrics get better. Big Long Now was a heavy song, it was my favorite during the first time i listened to it, until I reached Aneurysm. Aneurysm is my favorite hardcore song. Although most wouldn't consider it to be hardcore because it isn't a repetitive, generate, punk song.This was the song that blew me away and I am still moved with each listen. Incesticide was my favorite album, it would still be my favoritealbum even if Dive, Sliver and Aneurysm were the only songs on it.
on August 23, 2001
As I look over some of the reviews i'm suprised at how low the rating of this album is. I suppose most out-take compilations albums are not as critically acclaimed but i feel this one shows the true Nirvana. Like most compilation albums the songs are not as polished as a regular release but this works very well for Nirvana since their music isn't meant to be over-produced anyway. I also like this album because it has songs on it that weren't meant to be big number 1 hits. Although the whole album is great, I prefer the latter half of the album (tracks 9-15). I especially like two songs you would never could hear on Nevermind,"Mexican Seafood" and "Aero Zeppelin". It is a bit like their debut, Bleach, but with a little more maturity (i guess thats the word i'm looking for). This album also has great liner notes from Kurt (or Kurdt) Cobain himself. Of all the Nirvana albums (yes, even Nevermind included) this is their best sounding. It is not untill now, in this drought of good music, that i realize how much i miss the music of Kurt Cobain. Incesticide maybe not be as chart topping as Nevermind but for my money, this is the one to get.