5.0 out of 5 stars Tried and True Journey to Success
Published on May 6, 2005 by Ilene Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Long book
I bought this book for my 3 and 6 year olds. I love the author. I think he has great ideas. But I have to say this book is just too long for little kids. We just read the poetry parts.
Published on June 25, 2011 by A. Riches

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried and True Journey to Success, May 6, 2005
This review is from: Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success (Hardcover)
As a Principal of an elementary school I gave this book to each of my teachers this Fall and we read the book together round-robin style. What an experience! Their enthusiasm has carried through the whole school as our students have all had discussions of the various blocks, the value of hard work and being a person of integrity whatever your path. We so appreciate that Coach Wooden put his successful system into a kid-friendly venue to reach even our kindergarteners. A must-have book for adults as well as children to assist in returning to the basic roots of a successful society. Yes, enthusiasm is important, but staying the course, inch by inch, with confidence and poise, hard work and determination will ensure great accomplishments. So, "hootie-toot-toot" to a rival Bruin we will always be indebted to! Fight on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Inspirational Book that Every Child Should Have, April 13, 2005
This review is from: Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success (Hardcover)
What a wonderful book! The illustrations are colorful and filled with interesting characters. Each block in the "pyramid of success" describes a value in an animated and fun format. A great inspirational book that teaches everyone to to be their best! A terrifically well written that should be shared with everyone you love.

I bought a batch of "Inch and Miles" and gave the book away as presents to my family and friends. "Inch and Miles" is our favorite book in our home library. We recommend this book to parents, educators, and coaches.

5.0 out of 5 stars kids will love to read this story, March 15, 2005
This review is from: Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success (Hardcover)
I read this story to my daughter when she was 5 and when she started reading on her own it was one of her favorites. Now at 8, she not only still loves reading about inch and miles but she certainly understands the concept of trying her best and giving 100% no matter the outcome. There are so many vauable lessons that can be learned by reading this book by both children and adults who sometimes forget that competing shouldn't really be about just winning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success, December 3, 2003
LAC (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success (Hardcover)
I love this book and you will, too. I read it to my 5-year-old as he's doing his homework (kindergarteners? homework??). He and I both find it to be an especially calming activity at the end of each school day. The delightful writing style brings to life Coach Wooden's proven philosophy on the achievement of success and happiness. My son enjoys following the learning adventures of the characters, Inch and Miles, and studying the beautiful, brilliantly rendered illustrations found on each page. Wooden's no-nonsense thoughts on achieving "100% personal best" are appropriate for children of all ages. I truly believe that introducing these concepts to my young son now will give him an early advantage in his lifelong journey to success. (Try this: For variety, try reading aloud just the BOLD-face rhyming sections on each page. The rhythmic flow of the writing will allow you to cover all the "pyramid blocks" in one sitting more quickly!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Inch and Miles, a book for every parent and child..., October 21, 2003
This review is from: Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success (Hardcover)
I have always been a huge fan of Coach John Wooden for his unparalleled success and accomplishments as coach of the UCLA basketball dynasty. After reading the book, Wooden, A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections and learning all about the Pyramid of Success, I became even more of an admirer. His philosophy and wisdom is truly unique in this world today, so when I heard about Inch and Miles, I just had to run out and get myself a copy. I would recommend this book for every parent, child, and teacher. Based on Coach Wooden's Pyramid of Success, this book is a valuable learning tool and along with it's beautiful illustrations, this book is a MUST! It's a book that every child and parent/teacher can enjoy together. The collaboration of the authors on this project is a .....Journey to Success. Well done!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifetime reference book and teaching tool!, September 8, 2003
Bill J. (New Orleans, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success (Hardcover)
After reading, INCH and MILES: The Journey to Success, my wife and I decided that we would buy a number of books to give to our grandchildren, the children of our nephews and nieces and to the children and grandchildren of some of our friends. Our main reason for giving the book to our family and friends is: we consider it to be an excellent lifetime "reference book/teaching tool" that parents can use to help their children!
I believe the book will be read to and shown "many times and in many different ways" to young children by their parents and teachers. Young children will enjoy the book, and as they grow older, they will be able to identify with it more and more. For example, I feel the first time I show it to my granddaughter and godchild, Jordan, who is turning 2 in October, she will love it because of the colorful pictures and the characters.... and this will go on for some time.
When I show it to her a year from now, and 2 years from now, and 3 years from now, etc., she'll relate to the book and characters because we had fun with it every time we looked at it and I read it to her. But eventually at some point in age, she will start learning the meaning of each block of Coach Wooden's "Pyramid of Success" BECAUSE that's what I'll be teaching her. For me, that's the beauty of the book....it has longevity!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inch and Miles, The Journey to Success, October 25, 2003
"philwilt" (Van Nuys, Ca.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success (Hardcover)
I have been a collector of children's books for many years and it has been a long time since I have read one that right down to the last line had me saying, "well done". Inch and Miles is that book. This book is well assembled, it is written in prose and verse, beautifully illustrated and is good reading for a wide age
range.The philosophy for success of Coach John Wooden of UCLA basketball fame is presented by a talented team of writers and illustrator in a way that draws the reader from one page to the next. I liked the use of the coach's well used and respected whistle throughout as the story builds toward a completed block
pyramid one Hootie-toot-toot at a time. Each block is cemented into place by an apt verse as the story moves onward and upward to Personal Best from where the flag of Success can proudly be waved. Coach Wooden must be very proud of this presentation. I recommend "Inch and Miles" for every home, school, public library, and under Christmas Trees.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Character Ed Program!, March 26, 2006
This review is from: Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success (Hardcover)
Inch and Miles are now the central characters in our schoolwide character ed program! This beautiful book with powerful lessons from Coach Wooden has been the perfect addition to our program, and it is not the same old charater ed stuff you see everywhere! Each classroom in our school has a copy of the book, and we focus on one or two traits of the Pyramid each month. Students are selected as Students of the Month based on the trait for that month. Every student in the school keeps an on-going journal of writing related to each trait, and students perform special skits, songs, poems, etc related to the traits in the book at our weekly assemblies. Whether you use it individually or schoolwide, this book is a must have for teachers and parents!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Right Stuff, October 13, 2003
This review is from: Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success (Hardcover)
Coach John Wooden, ESPN's Greatest Coach of The 20th Century says "there's greatness within every child. We just have to help bring it out."
INCH and MILES is his wonderful story for kids 6-8 that explains how to they can do. It a kid-friendly version of the same message he taught ten national championship teams at UCLA.
It's a great book for parents to share together with their youngsters.
TE
Winona, MN

5.0 out of 5 stars Inch & Miles: The Journey to Success, August 27, 2003
This review is from: Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success (Hardcover)
This is a great book for parents and children to read together. In the competitive world that we live in today where so many times you are judged by winning or losing, it's refeshing to have a book like this to help explain to your child that it is not so much winning but knowing that you tried your best and gave your best effort. I had read Wooden:A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections and became a big fan of his Pyramid of Success and his philosophies, so it was great to hear that there was a book with this information written at a child's level. I read Inch and Miles with my 8 year old son and he loved the characters, the poems and the pictures. I found that we were able to stop and talk about different parts of the book and that he was able to understand a little about how to try to achieve his personal best and to be proud of that. The building blocks in the pyramid are a great way to teach my son because we can focus on one at a time instead of overwhelming him with information. I'll be able to use the book as a reference for when my son gets frustrated or upset about a result he has received, so I'm sure we'll be reading it over and over again.

Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success
Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success by John Wooden (Hardcover - September 1, 2003)
$15.95 $12.43