4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly clear, colorful, backup camera system!
Published 19 months ago by Florida BigDog

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price paid, VERY bad wiring information.
Published 18 months ago by SAMUEL ON WAH WONG

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price paid, VERY bad wiring information., February 21, 2013
SAMUEL ON WAH WONG (Pearl City, Hawaii United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 7 Inch 16:9 TFT LCD Widescreen Car Rearview Monitor Mirror with Touch Button, 480(W)x 234(H) Screen Resolution, Car /Automobile Rear View Mirror Display Monitor Support Two Ways Of Video Output, V1/V2 Selecting (Electronics)
I give this product a 3-star because I bought this monitor for its low price($35 shipped)and for lack of installation(actually wrong) information. When it arrived, I opened the box and saw the "installation paper", it did NOT tell me which colored wire is supposed to go where, it just shows two RCA video inputs can be connected to this monitor, then, one wire goes to the ground, one goes to 12V, and one goes to "ACC".

So, I took some educated guesses, and connected the black wire to the ground, the blue wire to the ignition wire, and the fused red wire to the battery(always have 12V.)

Of course, the back up camera is already connected to this monitor via a RCA yellow plug from the back of the vehicle; I tapped into the reverse light wire for powering the camera itself, and connected the ground wire of the camera to the chassis of the vehicle.

With this wiring setup, when I shift to reverse, the monitor shows the back view as intended, BUT, when I shift away from reverse, the monitor will not turn off, just a blue screen. So I thought: this is not right. The monitor should turn itself off when the gear is shifted from Reverse to Drive or Park. It just doesn't make sense to have to manually turned off by the driver. And, when I turned off the monitor manually, it stays OFF, even if I shift to Reverse from Park or Drive. So, something is wrong, obviously.

After searching the web for a whole day with no luck solving the problem, I came back to amazon.com, looked through ALL the customer review to no avail, I accidentally and finally found the solution by looking through the Q&A section at the bottom the page.(I also reconnected the red wire from the monitor to the ignition switch wire, so when I switch off the engine, there will be no power to the monitor, saving the battery in the process.)

From a user called MJ, I learned that the blue wire is supposedly connect to the reverse light wire, so I ran the blue wire all the way to the back of the vehicle, and connected to the same wire which I connected the back up camera's power wire into. NOW, the problem's solved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly clear, colorful, backup camera system!, January 7, 2013
I rated this rearview mirror mount monitor 4 stars, only because there wasn't a 3 1/2 star selection. First of all, prior to doing any installation work, I thoroughly siliconed, every questionable seam, etc., on the license plate camera, that could possibly allow moisture, to enter into the camera. After siliconing, I removed the transparent, protective, film covering, off of the camera lens.
FIRST, THE CONS: (1) I tried mounting the monitor, to my rearview mirror, but, after doing so, decided that this mirror's reflective properties, were "too dark," and, so, I removed it from my stock mirror, and, mounted it, on my dash, so that I can still use my regular, stock, rearview mirror. (2) To be as nice, as I can be, the installation/wiring instructions for the mirror monitor, are, at best, "a joke!" They are extremely lacking, and, did not help me at all. (3) Mounting the rearview camera on the license plate, and, wiring the harness, to my , left backup light positive (Red), and, negative/ground (Black) wires, was quick, and, easy. The yellow, RCA video jack was easy enough to hookup, to the long harness, that I routed, under my pickup truck, into my truck's cab, where I connected the other end of the yellow video cable, into the monitor's yellow video, incoming connector. (Remember to tape up the yellow video connectors, under the rear end of the truck, with an ample amount of electrical tape, so that they remain waterproof, and, also, so they do not come apart, due to bouncing around, on bumpy roads, etc.) (4) As of this moment, I still have not figured out a way, to route the yellow video connector, for the camera, into the truck's cab, from underneath the truck, or, through the firewall. - Once I have accomplished this, then I will be finished, with the wiring, of the camera harness, both under the rear of the truck, on, forward, into the truck's cab, to the monitor. (Until I figure out, how to route this video cable, into the truck's cab, I will have the cable entering the truck's cab, through the open door jam, and, closing the door, on it, to keep it secure) (5) I still have to figure out, how to wire the backup camera's LED lights, so that they function??? (My truck's backup lights, produce more than enough nightime illumination, for the backup camera, to enable me to see any/all, objects, to the rear of my truck, after dark, so, I will forego, trying to get the backup camera LED lights hooked up, for the time being.)
NOW, THE PROS: (1) The mirror mount monitor, is "fantastic!" During daylight, the monitor, is large, extremely clear, sharp, bright, and, very colorful, and, very easy to adjust, both, with the touch screen monitor buttons, and/or, the remote control device. Even at night, although, not quite as clear, as during daylight hours, the nighttime display, was generally, Black, and, White, ever so slightly "fuzzy," but, still, very discernable, to the eye. (2) Splicing the Red/Black power wires, for the monitor, inside the cab, to a cigarette lighter plug, was quite easy. (Reminder: Use a multitest meter, to ensure that you are connecting the Red/Black monitor wires, to the correct wires, of the cigarette lighter plug, to avoid any shorting of these wires, and, potentially damaging, the monitor. (3) Note: The Green, Amber, and, Red, rectangular areas, depicted on the monitor, are very helpful. In addition, the ability to change the size of the backup display, from a very widescreen view, to a narrower view, literally, and, instantaneously, helped me to better estimate the distance from, and, closeness to, the back of my truck, to viewed objects.

In closing, I apologize, for being so lengthy, in my review, but, I do hope, that it is helpful to anyone, who purchases, this rearview mirror-type, monitor, and, the accompanying, Koolertron rearview license plate mount backup camera. For just a little over $50.00 for the LCD monitor, and, backup camera, (including the standard shipping charges), I am one "VERY HAPPY CAMPER!" Best of luck, to everyone else who purchases these items.....

5.0 out of 5 stars better than could have expected, November 12, 2011
This is the second time purchasing a back up monitor.This one works great and much better than I would have expected however the installation instructions for the wiring were not included but easy enough to figure out for the most part.
one nice feature is that it mounts and unmounts without tools and very little effort.It stays in place and has worked well for more than a month now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen for a amazing low price, November 19, 2012
I installed this on a 99 Chevy S10. The instal was extremely simple, mounting on the rear view is easy and the plug it has makes it easy to take off if you were going to do that on a regular basis or live in a high crime area and needed to secure it when parking for the night or weekend/etc and stick back on with ease (one plug for power, video, everything into the monitor). I installed it using a "Cooper Bussmann/ATM fuse tap" from Autozone (Part number BP-HHH-RP)currently going for about $6. That's for the mini fuse model, there is a model for larger if your vehicle takes those as well. That makes it a easy install and you can put it on something like the radio so it turns on and off when you turn your vehicle on and off if you like. I use mine as a constant with a rear camera with night vision. It takes some getting used to so it's not a distraction but having a digital rear view camera is better than any rear view mirror I have ever owned. Just don't get one with wide angle or fish eye. Those are great for backing up ONLY as objects disappear quite fast when they are still close to you. The only thing I can think of they are referring to with this "mirror mode" is using the reflection on the plastic for a mirror... which is kind of silly. Just take the damn thing down and use your regular mirror if your going to do that. It looks like it has some kind of sensor above the buttons (I thought it might have been a camera) but I can't tell and am not going to dissect it to figure it out. Only bad thing, it has that multicolour backup rectangle permanently on your screen. It's a little thing though. Oh, and when you flip the image (it does left right, up and down flipping) it flips the text that way as well, lol.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviews describe this item well, August 20, 2013
I read many of the reviews and if you read enough and take the best and worse out of the equation, you can get a feel for what the display actually is.

My big concern was the "mirror" being a mirror or not. It is not a mirror to me but more of a "reflection" that you can see things behind you but I would not consider it a true mirror. I kind of knew what I was getting and thought it would be ok and it is just that, ok as far as being a rear view mirror.

For a display, I think it is great. It is large and colors are as accurate as can be expected (when paired with a Pyle PLCM18BC camera). I have zero complaints in regards to the "display".

Wiring: If you read the reviews there are no directions that are of any help. This is true and I did not really pay any attention to them because of the reviews. I tried a couple different ways to hook things up I found (for me) the perfect wiring hookup.

I hung the display on the existing mirror and fished the wires down to the below dash area on the drivers side. I then fished 3 wires from the back of the car to the same area under the dash (one red, one blue and then the supplied av cable that came with the camera).

Monitor hookup:
Red wire (switched power - on with key)
Black wire (ground to chassis)
Blue wire (hooked up to the blue wire I fished from back of car which was tied to backup light)

Camera Hookup:
Red wire (connected to red wire I fished to front of car which was connected to the same switched power that the camera was connected to)
Black wire (ground to chassis)
AV wire (connected to the av wire I fished to front of car that connected to the display unit)

I found this to be perfect. The screen is black until you shift to reverse, the display comes on nearly instantly then off again when you shift out of reverse. I also found if you want to display the rear camera view while not in reverse, just touch the av button on the display and you can show AV2 all the time which is the rear camera view. Works just like a factory install when wired like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor, February 14, 2012
Good monitor, bought it with a 9 LED backup camera, also from amazon, seem to work fairly well together. Reflectivity is pretty good with the screen off (mirror mode) and the large size helps as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice screen, June 25, 2012
The screen looks very nice and modem, better reflection than the original rear mirror.
The installation is simple, just connect and go.
If I must put a "issue" of this, it could be the power up time, there is a 1.5 seconds delay when you turn on the switch, meaning you need to wait at lease 2 second to backing your car!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for the price, November 18, 2013
sturdily built. Clips on to the existing mirror by strong spring clamps and has a little weight to it so occasionally with loud music, you'll see a subtle vibration in the mirror. the screen and the mirror are the same place so the mirror image is slightly darker than your original stock mirror in day and night ( like a faint tint but brighter than the night mode of your mirror) but this is minor. It's still clear enough for viewing. The mirror is bigger so your field of view is also larger although the magnification is about the same. The wiring instruction is deficient. once you connect the wires, they can be easily tucked and concealed behind the lining of most vehicles across the roof and down the a column on the driver's side of the windscreen. The power cables need to be connected to a power source under the dashboard (12 v and ground) in your vehicle that preferably is only powered when the ignition is turned to the acc or on position. Ideally you should have a voltmeter to confirm this although if you're familiar with car electronics, you can find ways around having a 12v gauge. I installed it by trial and error although I wouldn't recommend it for safety. The wires don't come with shrink insulation or crimped ends so prepare to have electrical tape/ crimper/ solder iron/ crimps etc available. I used a solder iron and tape.
There is a blue wire that needs to be spliced to the reverse lamp wire (it only serves to sense that the reverse lamp is activated and so automatically power on the monitor if you have a reverse camera connected and automatically power it off after you shift out of reverse ). This blue wire is short and so you have to find the reverse lamp wire in the front cabin or buy an extension wire to track it to the reverse lamp wire at the back of the vehicle. It does not power the monitor. Do not power the monitor from the reverse wires unless you only intend to use it during reversing. If you connect the power from an alternate source as recommended but don't connect the blue wire to the reverse lamp wire you'll have to power on/off the monitor manually while reversing, which is annoying. If you connect the blue wire as recommended, this is done automatically and it can be overridden by the monitor's power switch when you want to view from another source.
I connected the monitor to a reverse camera and the image from the monitor is pretty clear for a low resolution screen and more than good enough for reversing. It's also bright enough for daytime viewing but better in the night obviously. NB that the mirror image is still visible when the monitor is on (that's why it's tinted, to allow the monitor image to shine through) so in very bright light, you may not see the monitor image. there are different aspect ratios, a simple remote and simple menu options. The camera video input jack is a female but the additional jack to allow the attachment of another video input is a male plug so you may need an adapter with most devices. It clearly is not a high def. monitor though.
NB I installed this in a FORD Ranger pickup. I had recently used the wireless reverse camera and monitor in another pickup but there was way too much interference during ordinary use causing deterioration of the picture, static lines, loss of the image and it would pick up other random wireless signals from other passing vehicles, security cameras, houses as I drove by. So I opted for the wired installation and I'm quite happy with the quality and consistency of the image.
All in all, a great buy for the price and a DIY job I think. Hope this helped.

4.0 out of 5 stars Installation trick or Guide to Use on video input as rear view camera and other input to use as DVD from car stereo., April 11, 2014
Hi,
1) Product has good picture Quality, little hard to see in bright but thats good because you don't want to mess with that and lower mirror quality as rear view mirror.
2) Installation manual is Black & White so you don't know which wire is which color. Make sure to connect RED and Blue wire together to ACC 12v ( which mean voltage only comes after keys comes on) and black wire to ground or car chasis.
3) If you want to screen to come on when put in reverse and turn off when put in any other drive or park mode. Then you should connect Red and blue to the reverse light.
4) If you do number 3, you won't be able to use DVD input since only way for you to keep screen on is to keep car in reverse mode for it to stay on. But if you want to connect DVD input with your car stereo and use this as external monitor connect a Red and Blue to active 12 V ACC cable.
5) Since I wanted number 3 and number 4, what I did was I connected a SPDT switch (you can get one switch which has three pin on bottom and it should read SPDT swithc, buy this at radio shack or electronic store). I connected middle pin of switch to Red and Blue cable of monitor, Left pin of SPDT switch, I connected to reverse active reverse light wire of the car and Right pin of SPDT switch to active 12V ACC anywhere in the car (you can use the one from your existing stereo if you don't know which one is that, use the red wire and spit in two one for stereo and one for SPDT right pin switch). Now when I want to watch DVD I toggle SPDT switch to the right and most of the time SPDT switch stays on left and comes on only when I put car on reverse and turns off when switch to drive. And when you put SPDT switch in middle nothing comes on so its like (OFF mode). It took me some time to figure it out but you can do this trick for free thanks to me. Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at a great price!!!, April 10, 2013
Shipping speed was excellent. I agree with the general idea that the wiring diagram is terrible and unless you have installed a monitor like this before you will have no idea what goes where other than the video cord. After a brief attempt to install myself, I had it professionally installed with a camera I got off Amazon as well. I am definitely happy with the purchase. LCD came with all necessary install hardware other than helpful instructions. LCD packaging states this screen has Bluetooth and I haven't verified if this is true but I highly doubt it. Screen comes with a remote which, for me, is useless unless you plan on connecting some kind of video device. LCD also appears to have sound option as it produces a tone when the buttons are touched, but this may just be a speakers for the sound of the device and nothing that is connected to it. Again, I just use mine as a rearview camera monitor. I also use it as a rearview mirror as the reflectiveness is good enough for me but it is definitely not comparable to the stock mirror and if someone has bright headlights behind you it loses some of its reflectiveness but if your rear window is tinted it will not effect you that much. Another issue you may have and this may just be an issue with how it is installed in my vehicle but once your vehicle is not in reverse the screen just shows a blue image and if your vehicle is running the power button on the LCD will not turn off monitor. This will make the LCD unusable at night time and you will just be riding around with a LCD attached to your rearview mirror with a bright blue screen. Also, the screen is operable without even having the key in the ignition. My solution to this was to have the installation shop install a power switch in which I can cut the power to the LCD whenever I like, problem solved. All in all, for 35 bucks its a deal if your just wanting to add a monitor for whatever reason and not wanting to spend a bunch of money. I haven't had mine very long, so we will see how it holds up in the various temperatures

Rate and Discover Movies