Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Incipio MacBook Air 11-inch feather Ultralight Hard Shell Case - Matte Black
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on October 16, 2011
I got this cover 3 days ago. I did a lot of research on it, the speck satin shell, and the incase perforated. I chose against the speck because it did not have vents in the bottom and I was really concerned about a case causing my new macbook air to overheat which is apparently a common complaint. I think the incase design is a good bet, but in the end the fact it is ugly, has a lot of holes for dust, a $60 price tag, and several unprotected spots led me to choose the incipio feather.

I did this in spite of countless reviews complaining about fingerprints being a big detractor. Well, my only complaint with the incipio is, low and behold, the fingerprint problem. I didn't think it would be that bad, but it is really, really bad. In addition to fingerprints, it also collects dust which doesn't wipe away very easily.

However, in the end I'm still pretty happy with it. If you have a macbook air you pretty much have to get a hardshell case and there aren't that many good options yet. If it weren't for the overheating problem the speck would have probably been the better bet, but with a major investment like the air I'd much rather have a fingerprint issue than an overheating issue.
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2011
It has been very difficult to find protection for my MacBook Air ... the only cases with shoulder straps were big and bulky, and none of the sleeves had shoulder straps (come on, manufacturers, would it be so difficult to put a couple of D-rings on a sleeve so we could add a shoulder strap if we want one?). While this obviously doesn't have a shoulder strap, it is sleek enough (no added bulk) that I just drop the Air in my purse and I'm on my way. I like the slightly textured feel, and love that it is available in some fun colors.
on September 12, 2011
I am really pleased with the way this case fits the MacBook Air 11.6 (latest model). If you orient the pieces correctly when you put them on the first time they fit right on the computer with a slight snap, granted, they can be a chore to get off but it can be done if done carefully without forcing the corners. I wanted to avoid carrying the computer around without a cover because the metal case feels very slick in my large hands and I was afraid of dropping the computer. The MacBook Air has the same slick metallic feel without the cover as my iPad 1 and 2. I had to buy covers for them also but nothing as light weight as this cover.This beautifully designed form fitting, light weight case adds just the right amount of "grab" for my big paws without adding bulk and unwanted weight to the MacBook Air. I recommend it for the above reasons, just don't think you are going to take it off three times a day and not damage it. The surface is durable and can collect fingerprints, especially if your hands are greasy. The surface wipes cleanly without much effort. All in all a very well designed cover that adds very little weight to an already lightweight Apple computer. Highly recommended.
on July 3, 2011
Love this case.
What I love:
1. It fits and feels protective.
2. It allows the logo to shine through (instead of a hole for it that many others have -- but also let it dirt. I'd rather the light shine through the translucent plastic than see the logo unobstructed but have a hole for dirt.) (Some of you may think this a downside because you want the logo to shine through.)
3. Great color choices.
4. Nice texture. It's not smooth slippery or jelly feeling, like many of the others I looked at. It is solid and easy to grip.
5. Holes are in the right places.
Downsides, shared by every case on the market:
1. Makes the computer hot. No major problems yet (1 month of use).
2. Adds a bit of bulk and weight to a wonderful streamlined computer.
on March 10, 2016
So fabulous. It fits my MacBook Air PERFECTLY. It does not hold stains at all (no streaky marks or finger prints are ever left on it) and it wipes easily with a dampened cloth if you do need to clean it. I highly recommend this case!!
on February 4, 2013
I love the sleek look and protection this case provides. As many other reviews point out, there are definitely finger marks and smudges noticeable on the matte finish. Also, if you try to remove the bottom shell, the back clip breaks off easily - I was able to get a replacement promptly. I would not purchase this if you are planning to put it on and take it off regularly. The vented bottom is a great feature and I have had absolutely no heat problems. I haven't noticed any tipping of the cover from excess weight

One complaint is that if your MacBook is resting on one palm and you open the cover with the other hand quickly, you are likely to pinch the skin of the hand that's holding the computer - it didn't break my skin but boy did it hurt.

The other issue is that there is friction between the top and bottom pieces of the shell at the hinge when you open or close the MacBook. The shell rubs against itself but doesn't rub against the body of the computer at all. I ended up using sandpaper along the edges (before I put the case on the computer!). After a couple months of use I don't notice any more friction.

I didn't find any other cases I liked, so despite its flaws I'm quite pleased with this one
on January 19, 2012
First, I should say that this is the first review I have ever written on Amazon. I rely wholeheartedly on reviews for products I buy but I rarely write them. I was excited for this case to arrive because of how sleek it looks in photos, but my excitement was soon quashed when I opened the package to find that the top part of the case was cracked in three places... already. So I began the process to return it to amazon. While waiting to hear back from customer service, I decided to put it on my MacBook Air just to see how it looked. The bottom fit on well, almost too tightly. The top fit on, but since two of the tabs were broken off already, it kind of just sat there. Aside from the damages it looked amazing. Very sleek and professional. So I kept the case on for a day before I boxed it back up to send back to Amazon. I was beginning to think that I really liked it. It looked fantastic. It provided just the right amount of grip. It seemed it would protect it from scratches. It was incredibly low-profile. I had my mind made up to order another one and hope that it didn't arrive broken as well. Until I tried to take it off. The top came off quite easily (although ANOTHER piece snapped off). The bottom, however, snaps on so tightly that I didn't even know where to begin on how to remove it. After at least 10 minutes (yes, seriously) of careful prying and even resorting to a few blunt tools, I got it off without snapping or breaking anything. By the time I had it completely removed I was ready to smash it just for the frustration it caused me. I wouldn't recommend this case to anybody --- unless you know for sure it will arrive in perfect condition AND you know for sure that you will NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER have to remove it. And even if you fit that criteria, something tells me, from reading the other reviews, that this case will snap or break or shatter sooner than later. You've created a fragile, expensive beauty, Incipio.
on February 8, 2014
I absolutely love this case!!!! ITS SO SMOOTH.... SLICK... AND SOFT....... everybody around me alway ask where I got it... it looks classy and professional.

granted if one has greasy fingers like myself. it will leave smudges.... but simply wipe of with a REALLY DAMP rag or baby wipes or rub it agains another type of dry fabric... and it will smear off. no big deal. no if one has dirty hands and fingers from eating OF COURSE DIFFERENT STORY. obviously.
on March 18, 2012
I've seen and/or tried the iPearl and Griffin case options, and this is the most attractive one, but two drawbacks:

1) Rear left table partially obstructs the power port in some positions. If you want to reverse the power adapter so the cord doesn't block the USB, it is still able to connect, but not fully. It results in a connection that is more easily separated.

2) The tabs on the front lower body partly snapped off. It still holds on just fine, but has left ragged sharp edges that catch on my sleeves.
on May 7, 2014
I purchased this case back in 2011 for my 11-inch MacBook Air (2011). I updated my MacBook Air today with the 2014 model. And with the new air, I again purchased the Incipio Feather Case to cover my new Air. Why? Because for 3 years the case stayed on, absorbed all the bumps, scratches, scrapes, and dings of daily handling, traveling, tossing from various types of bags, briefcases, carry-ons, backpacks, airport security checks, airplane seat trays, while all the time seamlessly coexisting with the Air, adding no significant weight, and adding a bit more grip compared with the underlying aluminum. When it came time to sell the old Air, I removed the cover, and underneath was flawless.

With regards to fingerprint complaints in other reviews: I have the gunmetal color, and never once did fingerprints ever bother me.

Another advantage: Often I am in situations where I don't want the big glowing apple so evident. This case covers that up (maybe it's faintly visible in certain low light conditions), but the gunmetal keeps the computer looking slick. By the way, I think the gunmetal color looks slightly darker than it does in the amazon photos.

One tip: install this case only if you intend to keep it installed. It's not designed to be taken off and on multiple times. Not that it's impossible to remove, but it's designed to stay on firmly indefinitely; removing it multiple times risks breaking the case, not necessarily the tabs that hold it in place (which are pretty strong), but the surrounding plastic.

See 1 answered question