5.0 out of 5 stars "There's a battery in there?"
Published on December 3, 2011 by J. Benson

Published on October 19, 2011 by S. Bryce

3.0 out of 5 stars By far my favorite of the battery cases...if it wasn't for that echo!, October 19, 2011
Over the past year or two, I've owned the Incipio Offgrid, Mophie Juice Pack Air, and Tekkeon My Power. They all 3 work as advertised. I mean, how hard is it really to make a case with a battery in it that charges the phone. The hard part is making one that looks halfway decent. The Incipio Offgrid is hands down a much better looking product than the other two. It barely even looks like a battery case other than the little extra bit that plugs into the dock connector.

The Offgrid will charge up my fully drained iPhone 4s to about 65%. While there are cases out there (juice Pack Air Plus comes to mind) that claim to offer a full charge, they are huge. The Offgrid has 4 very subtle blue LEDs that indicate charge capacity. You don't even know they are there because they only light up for a few seconds if you press the power button. The case is smooth glossy black so you don't have to worry about the rubbery coating flaking off like so many other cases.

EDIT (11-18-11):

One thing I have since learned since originally writing this review is that due to the way the case covers the microphone, it causes an echo that can only be heard by the person you are talking to. I haven't seen this problem with any of the other battery cases I've owned. I email, text, and use safari way more than I talk on the phone, so it's not a huge deal for me. If you talk on the phone a lot, this case may not be for you. Have to knock it down a couple of stars since it renders the voice portion of the phone useless. Fix that, and I'd give it 5 stars in a heartbeat.

As far as the question about the flash, I have no idea because I try not to use the flash because it makes pictures look bad. Due to the thickness of the case around one side of the camera opening, I wouldn't be surprised if blocked the flash a little.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great feel and no bulk...but the earphone jack....eeesh, October 13, 2011
The first case I received in the mail from Amazon didn't charge the phone, I had to contact Incipio directly for a replacement, which they gladly sent free of charge. The battery life provided, lack of bulk and great feel in the hand are WONDERFUL...biggest draw back, the opening to the earphone jack is not big enough. It causes a lack of contact between the regular 3.5mm pin earphone plug on any standard set of earphones, requiring that you remove the top of the case in order to complete the connection and have your earphones work properly. This eventually causes the top of the case to no longer sit properly with the bottom portion of the slider case. It is among the cheaper of the battery cases that I've found, this may be a reason why. It's a great look at feel, but my next battery case is going to be a different brand if Incipio doesn't make that earphone opening a lot bigger.

5.0 out of 5 stars "There's a battery in there?", December 3, 2011
The red color I order receives a LOT of a attention. People tell me if I am holding it in the hallway their eyes track immediately to it. If you have incipio's red feather case, this isn't the same color of red. :) I wasn't expecting it to be exactly the same, but I was hoping it would be close. It is more of a ferrari red, as someone put it, and it is glossy to boot! ;)

The case feels like it will be just as slick as the iPhone 4S itself, but if I hold my hand open with the case and phone in it... and rotate to a 45 degree there is enough friction that it barely creeps out of my hand.

While the battery does add some bulk, they have take the apple approach and rounded out the edges enough that if you hold this case in your hand, it feels slimmer than an iPhone with a bumper case. I personally prefer the feel of this case (and the small additional weight) to that of the phone with a bumper on it. The initial reaction I get when other see it, and find out that it has a battery it in, is "There's a battery in there? It is really thin if it has a battery, how long does it extend your use time?"

I have only had the case a few days at this point, but with my usage I am finding that if I press and hold the button to start charging the phone back up at 40% that I will get to 100%. I haven't stopped using the phone, yet, however, while it was charging. Generally I am still browsing the web or talking on the phone for about 15 - 20% of the time it is charging the phone. I also haven't paid too much attention to how long it takes to get the phone that far... but my best guess would be it is about 1 hour. I also haven't paid too close attention to the charging time of the case (I will generally deplete the case and then slip it off to charge it back up and keep using my phone with the incipio feather case). It feels like it takes a long time, but I haven't really timed it, rough guess would be 1.5 hours to charge the case itself.

I have charged my case with my old HTC EVO charger and used the same cable to sync the phone with iTunes through the micro USB cable. So that is very convenient considering that most other electronics I own use the standard micro USB. The case doesn't appear to be as picky as Apple about which charge it will accept... for example, in my car I have a USB charger from my jabra headset that the phone wouldn't charge from itself using an apple cable. However, if I plug in the case with a micro USB into the same charger, the case will light up and start charging (the iPhone doesn't charge in this instance however). The jabra charger is pushing out 5V 750mAh. I purchased another charger which was for the iPhone 4S [...] which pushes 5V, 1 Amp and this will charge both the case and the phone (together or separate, meaning it will charge the iPhone 4S will the apple cable).

Cannot comment on Protection as I haven't dropped the phone (with our without the case), and I hope I never do. It does feel sturdy enough, however, to take a hit, just not a drop that is face down (see "minor issues" below).

Minor issues:
- I have an iPhone 4S so the ringer silencer is very close the edge of the hole as this case is for the iPhone 4 and apple moved the ringer silencer on the 4S.

- the Flash is not usable while using the case as the hole for the camera/flash is so deep the flash comes back into the camera sensor and causes the picture to look washed out.

- The hole for the flash and camera acts like a lint scrapper and picks up a lot of lint from my pocket.

- Hole for the volume buttons is a little deep and makes it difficult to access them.

- speaker is covered by the micro USB, but they appear to have a slot to push the sound out of the front toward the user... I haven't noticed a huge degradation in audio quality/volume however, calls on speaker and music through the speaker are still audible and plenty loud for me.

-Case doesn't protect the front of the phone at all, if placed face down on a table, the screen would be resting on the table.

-Glossy packaging (similar to the plastic on the back of the iPhone 3G/3Gs) make me feel like the case will look scratched up after some time (so far so good though over 1 week of setting it on tables in meetings and in restaurants and plenty of pocket insertions and removals. None of that very harsh, however)

Overall: Very slick looking case, especially for having a battery. Highly recommend at this point if you are looking for a case that will give you a power bump to get your another 60% + of extra batter power in a slim design.

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed.. bad design, March 13, 2012
This review is from: Incipio iPhone 4/4S offGRID Backup Battery Case - 1450mAh - 1 Pack - Carrying Case - Retail Packaging - Stealth Matte Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This was a birthday gift for my daughter. We were a little concerned initially that the top of the case didn't stay on well, but other wise it seemed to work fine. Sadly, the first time she needed to use it (while traveling) was after the 30 day return period (it was ordered two weeks before her birthday). There was a terrible echo that only the person on the other end could hear. This echo made it impossible for the receiver to have a conversation with the iPhone case user. In addition, the top did fall off repeatedly.

It appears that the case covers something on the phone that distorts the conversation, and even Incipio is aware of it but has not yet found a solution to the problem. It does charge the phone but as you would have to take the case off for a conversation that defeats the purpose.
Don't buy this.. not ready for prime time yet although a greg idea.. try another brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but with caveats, February 17, 2012
The case is exactly as described. Increased battery life by a minimum of 50% but more like 75% with average use. Looks very nice and stealthy.
One minor complaint is the top piece seems like an afterthought and doesn't fit snugly to the bottom section. I actually just leave it off and it works fine.
One major complaint is that after only a couple of weeks of very light use, the USB port has become loose and will only charge if I hold the cable at a certain angle. I have an email into the company about a resolution and will update if/when they contact me.
5-stars minus these two issues.

**See update below in comments**

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible, August 7, 2013
I had this case for a total of a month before it started acting up. The case will randomly turn on and off by itself, within seconds at a time - this ultimately starts heating up the battery on the iPhone, not to mention very annoying when its in your pocket or plugged in charging while you're sleeping and the phone is making a noise or vibrating every time the charge is applied and taken away. The blue battery "status" buttons stopped working within 2 months of purchase. For $50, Incipio made a real piece of crap - not to mention no refund from the manufacturer. I will never buy another Incipio product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after about 2 weeks, October 19, 2013
About a week after we bought this product, it stopped working. Tried to give it a chance. Kept recharging it, tried it on different phones, etc and after a couple of months, realized it was defective. Went to get it replaced with a new one that actually worked and was told it was too late to return.

Not real happy about that. If your product doesn't work, at least you could replace it with something that does. Not asking for any money back, just something that actually works.

2.0 out of 5 stars Case didn't last, June 10, 2013
Only used the case from 3/1//13 and it won't hold a charge!?! Case felt and looked good but only to last a little over 3 months?! That's not good!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, May 30, 2013
The Backup Battery Case meets my needs but has some drawbacks.
The charging function does not work when you are using certain apps--keeps buzzing (very annoying) and says "charging function is not supported in this app".
You also cannot engage the charger cord before the phone battery itself reaches very close to the 20% threshold. It won't do anything until it gets down that far. It seems it must discharge all of the phone battery before you can engage the backup. So, you can't get ahead of the game in preparation for being gone a long time.
I have manipulated my schedule to work around this, but will probably need to have the regular charger in my possession in the event the back-up runs out beause I couldn't replenish early.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked well the first few times....Then quit, May 9, 2013
Brought this gadget to Hawaii for some quick recharges. It worked great the first 3 or 4 times, then just wouldn't work any more. We made surew the battery was charged, and even tried it on other Iphones, and NOPE!

Rate and Discover Movies