5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice, compact player for a variety of media files
Customer Video Review     Length:: 6:04 Mins
Published on February 4, 2012 by Timothy B. Riley

1.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar. Poor reiiability. Broke after 6 weeks.
Published on March 22, 2012 by video_guru

5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice, compact player for a variety of media files, February 4, 2012
This review is from: IncrediSonic Ultra Play IMP150 - HD TV Digital Mini Media Player - 1080p - Play any file from USB HDDs/Flashdrives/Memory Cards (Electronics)
Length:: 6:04 Mins

As a photographer and a sales trainer/consultant I often find myself in situations where I need to connect to a TV or monitor in order to show some media files to a client or a group. Usually I am prepared for this and have all of the equipment necessary for a professional presentation. However, sometimes an opportunity arises at a unexpected time or place. For me, that is what I will use this device for. I can also see many applications for home and family use.

I thought that I would make this short video to show how the player works. One thing that really surprised me is how small it is and you can really see that in this video.

Disclaimer: Although I was not paid for this review I did receive a sample for reviewing purposes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly impressed!, January 12, 2012
I have had this device for almost 2 weeks now and have been playing around with it A LOT! Here's my review that just adds to some of the information already given by previous reviewers on here.

* First of all, this thing has great packaging... the box itself gives a good first impression and actually has a lot of useful information about specs and such right on there (somewhat of a rarity these days, so I thought I'd mention that).

* I have to say one of the things that first struck me about this device was when I opened the box and REALLY realized just how much smaller it was than I imagined. I have to say I was getting a little skeptical when I saw the size, but that wore off pretty fast when I picked it up. This thing, though small feels REALLY sturdy and VERY well made. The casing feels like some kind of metal or metal alloy, it's black with a good finish. I imagined this thing going on my entertainment stand, but to be honest it would get so lost, so I would probably more than likely just stick it on the back of the TV somehow. --[Minor -ve here: Two of the components at the back were slightly out of line with the cut-outs. This did not affect the plugging in of cables or anything, but it just might be noticeable really close up by the REALLY persnickety people out there. Definitely not an issue though as you might not even notice it.]--

* Another rarity is that this thing actually comes with a manual. The manual is pretty decent as well, I found it informative. --[Minor negative: I think the print may be a little small for some persons with less than 20/20 vision, but again, not a deal breaker.]--

* In terms of functionality. Hooking it up was REALLY simple. I'll probably do an update when I hook it up via HDMI, but the component cable that came with is pretty good. I just connected the cable, connected a (FAT32 file system) USB drive (doesn't seem to work with the NTFS file system) and powered it on via the included power adapter. That was it! It boots in like 2 seconds to its media menu to access files, play movies, music, etc. The remote has a whole lot of buttons as you can see by the pics, but it is easy to navigate. --[I think there is a chance that people with plump fingers MAY have a challenge there]--

* So I got a movie going ("300" in xVid format). This thing looked and sounded GREAT on my LCD. Finding the file to play was also easy, it uses an explorer-like interface to navigate the folders, etc. --[BIG +ve: A very nice surprise was that my DVD rip of 300 was in 2 different files within the folder on the USB drive. I didn't even notice until I finished testing because this thing just seamlessly ran from one file to next with the most subtle of jitter.]--

* Another positive, is that despite what the manual cautions us against, it hot-swaps gracefully, meaning I can plug in or out my storage device at will and this thing will "refresh" itself.

* Having been thoroughly impressed by how it handled the movie and all the controls (play, rewind, forward, etc.) I decided to really test it out. I threw a few other movies at it from the VERY recent rips and encoding to some really OLD ones... like pre-xVid old. Interestingly it did better than I thought, running my "Office Space" (old Div-X) rip without a hitch of any kind, but had some problems on much older titles... I think the CDs I had these on were probably scratched anyways. I had it actually run some really old rips, but had occasional skipping or synching problems... problems that definitely looked codec related. --[-ve: So far I haven't seen a way to upgrade the codecs of this device.]--

* I threw some audio files at this thing as well, again I was surprised as I think the audio fidelity was better than I thought and actually pretty impressive by any standards. The music files also auto-advanced just like the movies did, which makes setting up a playlist really easily --[I didn't see a way to readily configure or open a playlist]--

* The device actually multitasks pretty well as I can leave the audio running and go do some other stuff on the device... smooth, no hitches. Oh and another great thing... the music in the folder will auto-loop by default. There is a symbol there that suggests that this can be turned off if desired --[I haven't been able to find it yet.]--

* Returning to the home screen could be a little obvious but no biggie, there are lotsa different ways so it's probably just me.

All in all I REALLY luv this little player. I am just finishing up a deck out back to be little outdoor room for me. I think I'll attach this little device to my LCD screen that I'm planning to mount. The fact that it uses SD Card make this really possible as well because it adds to the portability of it. I would recommend this as a REALLY good buy if you're the kind that has many DVD rips lying around, need a player on the go for when you're traveling, or need a hardware music player that works with a screen. The 4 of 5 stars is because there are 1 or 2 little things (as mentioned) that could use some improvement.

That's it for now, I will update below with any additional findings.

UPDATE [Jan 30, 2012]: I was able to connect the device via HDMI now,looks GREAT as you can imagine, audio travels across the HDMI and works great. I re-tested the OSD as well, hoping it would look nice and crisp. There was slight improvement, I could actually now read what the text says (couldn't with the included composite cable), even though it still wasn't crisp at all.

Also, it could just be me, but it would seem that booting the device with some connected media adds about a second to the boot-time of the device.

1.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar. Poor reiiability. Broke after 6 weeks., March 22, 2012
Device worked great at first, did everything I wanted. Played baseline profile AVC MP4 files fine. I was using for kids, connected via composite (A/V) port. It worked great for 6 weeks, then composite port just stopped working. HDMI port still works, but A/V won't output a valid signal. Funny thing, composite port will work if I connect HDMI in addition to the composite - so both are connected to a TV, but the TV is set to display the composite. Disconnect the HDMI, and the TV goes blank.

Tested composite port with multiple TVs, both CRTs and LCDs, and with different cables, so appears port just went bad. It initially worked fine (and it is set to NTSC, not HDMI, not PAL). Also tried resetting settings, no luck.

The build quality is very good, case seems to be aluminum. Remote is clunky to use. Menu system is OK, not great but good enough. Device is very small, which is nice.

Timing was perfect, goes bad after 6 weeks, just beyond Amazon's return window. No manufacturer warranty - no information about who makes this in the packaging, and no IncrediSonic presence on the web. I also found this device on the UK Amazon site, sold under a different name, and multiple reviews there also stated it stopped working after 6 weeks. Coincidence I guess.

What good is cheap if it only lasts 6 weeks?

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be more sturdy, January 30, 2013
Originally, I would have gave this little player a 5 star rating, but after a few months, I'll give it a 2, and here's why:

1. The 5 star rating: It plays nearly everything. I know downloading movies is a no no, so hypothetically if you were going to do such a heinous thing (wink), this thing is great. But since your not, it's still pretty good.

2. The 2 star rating: It is not put together well at all. This mishap can be avoided though. If you are using the usb side, chances are you are using a flash drive, which means you are plugging and unplugging a lot. Even if you are using an external hard drive, it still sees a lot of action.
What happens is the usb port breaks and falls inside. Sucks, sucks alot actually. The SD side still works, but really? what a rip.

I still suggest buying this piece of crap though. Why, you say? Well, because you can buy a usb female to male cord!

Plug that sucker in to the incrediSonic, and then plug your flash drive or hard drive into that. You never have to unplug the cord, and it gives you a few extra feet so you can set your hardrive in a more convienient place.

IF I'D HAVE KNOWN THAT, IT WOULD HAVE SAVED ME $40 BUCKS!

This machine works wonders, and does everything you want.

This machine is a giant piece of crap and makes you want to pick fights with the wall.

This machine plays all the files you need.

This machine is designed to break in enough time so that you can't get a replacement.

This machine is easily outsmarted. Of course it still cost me two of them.

Buy it, and buy a usb male to female cord. NEVER UNPLUG THE USB CORD!

who says there is no such thing as a happy ending?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: Upon reading my review, the seller contacted me to replace the old non working unit with a brand new one, without me even having to ask! I had figured where it had been more than 30 days, I would take my loss and still give a helpful review to someone wanting to purchase this item, so that it may last longer for them than me.

I was completely blown away with the customer support of this place! They really care if someone thinks badly of their product. The replacement they sent me even had a better remote than the first one I bought. The software on it also seemed updated. I am beyond happy with the outcome of this (mostly because I didn't think anything would happen, and they reached out to me!)

Now, I use the usb extending cord I mentioned in my first review, so as not to wear out the usb connection, so that isn't an issue anymore. Plus, it gives me extra slack to hook up my 1TB external hard drive, so it's a win win!

I still think you should use a usb cord that you plug in and leave alone, other than that, this little baby is a gem. It plays more files than most out there right now, or atleast as many as the ones that cost double and even triple as much as this one does.

Buy it, you won't be disapointed, just remember to get a male to female usb cord.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, easy media playback, February 26, 2012
Contents:

The package contains the Mini HD Media Player, a power adapter, remote control, AV cable, and the manual. The Media Player supports HDMI, but comes without the HDMI cable, so you'll need to purchase one separately if you don't have a spare.

Key features:

The Media Player allows playback of full HD up to 1080p (H.264 decoding technology) on your TV and supports the following formats: RM, RMVB, MPEG, VOB, DAT, Divx, Xvid, MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, MPG, TS, M2TS, AVI, WMV, and FLV. Subtitles are also supported and can be of any of the following formats: SRT, SMI, SSA, ASS, and SUB+IDX. The media audio can be AC3, DTS, WMA, WAV, OGG, AAC, APE or FLAC with HDMI 1.3.

The OSD is multilingual.

The unit accepts 2 ways of input, i.e. via its USB 2.0 connector or by inserting a memory card, which can be either SD, SDHC or MMC.

While the AV cable that comes with the unit allows content to be viewed up to 576p, the unit will need to be hooked up through an HDMI cable in order to experience true HD (1080p) content.

Useage:

Activating the media player for the first time was as easy as plugging the power adapter in, hooking it up to the TV via either HDMI or AV cable and plugging in a media device (USB or memory card). All that was required on the TV was to change it to the proper HDMI source and the menu showed up, allowing us to select from the following options: File, Music, Movie, Picture, and Setting. For those who aren't tech savvy, this is about as easy as it gets. The controls themselves are very intuitive.

The battery compartment of the remote control needed to be opened first in order to remove the small plastic sheet preventing the battery from making contact. This took actually the longest as you have to both pull down on the compartment while also squeezing a little tab that locks it in place.

We hooked up a 32 GB USB 2.0 memory stick with several mkv files (1080p media) and through the use of the remote control it was very easy to navigate to the Movie section. After selecting the USB stick, the list of files and directories was shown and starting a movie was as easy as hitting the enter key. As with most media players, the content could be paused, resumed, stopped and shuffled back and forth through Rewind or Fast Forward. When the device is shut down in the midst of watching content, it'll ask whether it should resume the next time it's turned on.

If more than one device is attached to the media player, e.g. a USB device and a memory card, it's possible to copy files from one to the other. Similarly, content can also be deleted from the external memory disks. We didn't have any media files with additional subtitles so we were unable to test the subtitle functionality. However, if subtitles are present (and not hardcoded in the media file), they can be modified in various ways. Pressing the OSD button on the control will display a list of commands: subenable (choose to show subtitles or not), subtitle (select different subtitles if present), color (change the color), rimcolor (choose different effects), size (as the name implies), text encoding (shows the encoding style), time sync (adjust the synchronization with the movie), and offset (adjust the location of the subs).

Similarly to movies, the media player will also play back music or show a slideshow of pictures. The audio options (obtained by pressing the OSD key while playing the music) allows setting of the EQ mode (the following modes are available: normal, DBB, Rock, Classic, Jazz, Vocal, Dance, Soft), Lyric focus color and unfocus color (choose different colors for the lyrics when present) and the Lyric play mode (Line roll or Kalaok).

Using the slideshow options, it's possible to set the interval (ranges from 1 to 30s), the switch mode (the way that photos switch from one to another, e.g. sliding, blinds, etc.) and the background music (on or off).

Thoughts:

The device is very versatile and small which is definitely a plus. For anyone who doesn't have a dedicated media player and wants to stream (HD) content, the IncrediSconic Ultra Play Mini HD Media Player would be a welcome addition. Our TV (Samsung LN46A750) also has a USB port for media playback, but it'll only accept a USB stick (no hard drives) and the formats it will play are very limited (divx and xvid). In a similar vein, our Xbox 360 which is hooked up via ethernet to our network allows us to play a lot of content. If we want to play music or display photo slideshows, it'd be far easier to use the Xbox media player as that would omit having to copy files to external memory. However, the Xbox won't play certain HD formats either (such as mkv files), without having to reencode those files, which takes considerable time and effort.

It's of course unfair to compare the IncrediSonic to devices that can be hooked up to a network through either ethernet or Wifi. Still, it definitely has advantages over our Xbox 360 and for anyone without a computer network, this device would be perfect. Now we're finally able to watch true 1080p HD content and the only requirement is that it needs to be copied to a USB device (stick or hard drive).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great player at a reasonable price!, May 22, 2012
I record videos on a DVB free-to-air satellite receiver, and they come down as mpeg2 at about 1.75 to 3.5 Mbps. I had the Micca MPlay for about a year and a half and had to convert the videos (about 1700 hours) to mp42 h.263 Simple@L1 VBR, and exactly 29.97fps CFR (with Handbrake) to play them on the MPlay. Then I started making other videos with an HD camcorder and webcam in H.264/AVC and could not play them on the TV.

The IMP-150 is a BIG upgrade! It plays everything I have, has HDMI output, doesn't care what the frame rate is (max is about 31), doesn't care what the frame size is, and is easy to use. Its interface uses regular ol' familiar file system navigation, it boots up fast (about 5 sec.), and it wastes no time scanning all the files on the usb hard drive.

The Resume is nice, and it doesn't just resume in the last movie you partly watched, it seems to remember where you stopped in every movie!

It came with the new-style remote that doesn't have the black-on-black reading problems of the earlier model. It works fine if pointed near the player, and I rarely have to press twice. The button layout does take some getting used to, tho. Your best friend for stopping and backing up in the file tree is the "Return" button.

The tiny player gets a little warmer than a usb hard drive, but not hot.

The only bug I have seen so far is that when playing it will stutter and blink the screen once, and rarely stop, when my air conditioner kicks on, so maybe its power supply is a bit sensitive to voltage fluctuations, or maybe because my a/c thermostat is nearby.

The only real complaint is that it doesn't play text files of any kind, not even plain txt files. When you put it in "File" mode, it will list all files, and play them, whether audio or video, but not txt files. So, what's the "File" mode for, when it has "Music" and "Movie" modes? It's a bit of a disappointment because I have text files in most of my folders that describe the videos therein.

I only wish I could have bought one a couple years ago, and all my videos were H.264 because that looks a LOT better, even at lower bitrates.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. I thought I was gonna have to pay upwards of $100 to get H.264 capability. It's easy to set up, easy to use, and performs better than expected.

--kv5r

4.0 out of 5 stars The little engine that could, great customer support compensates for hiccups, July 27, 2012
After struggling with a PS3 and irritating Cinavia...followed by a Roku device that recognized almost nothing attached to it...the Incredisonic was a last ditch effort to get a proper media player setup re-established. Thanks to the seemingly endless positive reviews for the Incredisonic IMP150, I decided to give this no frills player a shot.

Wow.

I can't believe how good this thing works, likewise the simplicity of navigation and file access. To date, it's played everything I've thrown at it, and does an excellent job in quickly accessing attached devices for quick play via HDMI.

A handful of advice quickies mostly echoed elsewhere:
1. The IR sensor is VERY delicate. Ensure the device is on a clear sight path, or be pressing buttons to no where. Be careful with blocking the sensor via cables from the adjacent USB port. There's a blue power light next to sensor as a reference point.
2. On a related note, the included remote is poorly detected, also non-descript (with nearly all buttons identical). Another reviewer suggested purchasing the URC WR7 remote as a replacement; outstanding advice.
3. Yet another device that can't read 3TB drives. (Ugh.) Caveat emptor here.
4. An odd power hiccup will turn on external devices manually plugged into the IMP150 when the device is supposedly turned off. Turning on the IMP150...then off again...will subsequently power down the USB device attached to it.

In sum: the IMP150 isn't pretty in design and menu...and its remote is lacking. Still, it's an absolute steal at its price point, a wonderful solution that does what devices 6x the price can't.

**UPDATE**
One day...the HDMI port became defective. Then a firmware update (to potentially fix said issue) bricked the system; the remote was no longer functional w/ it. Customer service, however, sent an upgraded remote within days' of contacting them, and are now sending me a completely new unit - what wonderful customer support!

I've battle tested this against the significantly more expensive Dune HD Player. While I enjoy the feel of the latter, I still have difficulty - despite troubles above - in recommending it over the Incredisonic. This little guy plays everything I throw at it, versus the Dune hiccuping at common .avi files.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after a month!, May 31, 2012
Pros:
-Very small
-Connects with HDMI
-Can read my 1TB portable hard drive, which my PS3 can't do
-Yet to find a file it can't play
-The remote works from relatively far away, but must be aimed directly at the sensor, not just in the general vicinity
-Displays entire titles in alphabetical order. (I had a phillips DVD player that could play various files types through USB flashdrive, but all of the titles displayed were cut off and out of order. Playing the file you wanted was a guessing game.)

Cons:
The remote battery died within the first week. This thing is totally useless without the remote and, unfortunately, doesn't run off AA. I had to go to 3 stores before finally finding the 3V CR2025 watch battery it uses. Of course I can get it on Amazon, but then I have to wait 2 days before I can use my fancy new gadget. I'm hoping the remote just came with a dud and that this doesn't need to be replaced once a week. I'm keeping spare batteries stocked in the TV cabinet just in case.

I have started to get used to the remote layout, but I don't like it. The buttons are small and close together. I wish the fast forward/rewind buttons were linked to the larger arrow keys like other remotes I've used.

When fast forwarding/rewinding it takes an extra few seconds while it thinks about it before it starts the action.

The titles play automatically from one to the next (at least they play in order for TV shows), but I would prefer if it would return to the menu after an episode ends. It plays continuously and once it gets to the last episode, repeats the whole folder. It never ends unless you stop it manually, so if you fall asleep with it on, it runs all night. I have been trying to figure out how to change this, but can't find anything in the settings and the manual is unhelpful. The repeat button seems to only turn it on and won't cycle back to off. My PS3 for example goes to menu after one episode and if I don't do anything for a period of time, the system shuts off.

Overall this is a good player for a great price, considering all the file types it can play, but takes some time getting used to the few operational annoyances.

I'm thinking about returning this and getting the Micca MPLAY-HD even though it's more expensive. If I do I'll edit this and post a comparison review.

UPDATE: 06/23/12

Less than a month later and I've already had to change the battery in the remote twice. This is especially annoying because of the CR2025 watch battery it uses, as I mentioned above.

The AV cable it comes with never worked at all. Now it doesn't even connect with HDMI unless I unplug the power and plug it back in. I know it's not the HDMI cable.

Initial impression was that this was an awesome little device and ended up being a real piece of junk. I am lowering this to 1 star and I will be attempting to return it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product defective, October 20, 2013
Amazon Customer "vyarberry" (Springfield, MO United States) - See all my reviews
The product was promising, I even ordered two. Neither one would display any image on screen - not even the product system/set-up screen. I checked and re-checked troubleshooting options. Power wouldn't even stay on. Returned.

4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect, February 1, 2012
pros:
1. small size
2. great interface
3. start fast
4. take no time to scan files on the hard drive (500G)

cons:
1. black color on the remote makes it very hard to read the letter
2. freeze once a while when playing some files

TIPS:
1. if it crash when loading subtitles, try turn off subtitle and then turn it on in OSD mode. notice that it's not easy to find the OSD button on the remote. this tip comes from jkh
2. do not plug the power cable in AV outlet!