4.0 out of 5 stars The Lonely Island Blows Up
I've been a fan of The Lonely Island for a while, and it's exciting to see "the dudes" finally start getting recognition for their talents.

I originally thought this album was a joke when it was announced, but I'm very happy it's for real, because it's hilarious.

Published on February 10, 2009 by Gregory Alongi

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Crucial Omissions Hold This Great Set Back
Published on April 8, 2009 by Circumvrent

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lonely Island Blows Up, February 10, 2009
This review is from: Incredibad [CD/DVD] (Audio CD)

Musically, it's actually catchy and very solid. I'm sure some people will hear it and not even realize it's a joke at first. Once you pay attention to the lyrics though, it's just amazing.

I do feel that some of the effect is lost by not seeing the creative videos that were made for the songs (although those are included as well), but once you've seen the videos, you'll picture them as you hear the songs anyway.

If you've been a fan of the Saturday Night Live's Digital Shorts, The Lonely Island, or just Andy Samberg, I guarantee you'll enjoy this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Crucial Omissions Hold This Great Set Back, April 8, 2009
This review is from: Incredibad [CD/DVD] (Audio CD)
As a dedicated SNL watcher through the good and the bad, the Lonely Island guys got my attention - and the attention of a lot of other people - with "Lazy Sunday" a Beastie Boys-esque rap video about two guys going to go see The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe on a Sunday morning. Billed as a "Digital Short," the song became an internet sensation, made Samberg and his writing partners people to watch, and put SNL back in the headlines while spawning a number of imitators.

In the following years, the "Digital Shorts" have become a staple of the show, and sometimes, its high points. But the ones that work the best are the Lonely Island-produced music videos - "D*** in a Box" featuring Justin Timberlake, "I Ran (So Far)," featuring Adam Levine (with a pretty great cameo from Jake Gyllenhaal). So when word hit that The Lonely Island were releasing a CD, it seemed like a no-brainer.

And as an album, it's pretty good. The songs for the most part don't outstay their welcome, and the talent assembled is impressive - Norah Jones, T-Pain, and Natalie Portman (!!) show up on the album's best tracks. The songs recycled from the show are worth an extra listen - without the audience response and the visual, the listener can really sit back and appreciate how musically deft these songs are. Also included is a DVD of some of the videos - a nice companion, and great for the completionist SNL fan.

Unfortunately, there are a few omissions from the show that are really unfortunate. "I Ran" - in my opinion, one of the subtler, smarter, and funnier songs TLI has put together - is nowhere to be found, in either song or video form. Likewise, the T-Pain starring "I'm on a Boat" video - which was aired on the show as a promo for the album - is completely absent as well. That's one of the songs that really needs the visuals to work, as the whole concept behind it springs from music videos featuring rap stars on yachts. The song by itself is great, but loses something without its visual representation, and it's a shame that the video didn't make it on.

As is, this is a great disc, and well worth the price, especially when you consider the DVD. But those omissions keep the set from being truly incredible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this CD and I J**zed in my Pants!, February 16, 2009
Monty Moonlight (Austin, TX, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Incredibad [CD/DVD] (Audio CD)
The first time I ever heard of Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone, and Akiva Schaffer, AKA The Lonely Island, was through a little film called "Hot Rod", which, if you ask me, is one of the funniest films ever made! I grew up a Saturday Night Live fan, but ever since that really bad period when Janeane Garofalo was on there, my viewership has been touch and go. I'll latch on when they have someone great in the cast but will bail out immediately and for long periods when I see too many failed attempts at humor. Now that Andy Samberg is on there though, I really should pay more attention (though he seems to be underused when I do check it out). The guy is truly hilarious, even just to look at. He's got one of those faces with the wide-mouthed, crazy expressions. Anywho, it was appropriately online where I first discovered their little SNL videos like D**k in a Box and J**z in my Pants, and they instantly had me hooked. Those two videos are hilarious! The songs are funny enough, but it's so right that this CD includes a DVD of the videos, because the visuals just make the songs so much funnier!

Now, the track listing on my CD is a bit differently organized than it is listed on Amazon. From the back of the CD: 1. Who Said We're Wack? 2. Santana DVX (ft. E-40), 3. J**z In My Pants, 4. I'm on a Boat (ft. T-Pain), 5. Sax Man (ft. Jack Black), 6. Lazy Sunday (ft. Chris Parnell), 7. Normal Guy (Interlude), 8. Boombox (ft. Julian Casablancas), 9. Shrooms (Interlude), 10. Like a Boss, 11. We Like Sportz, 12. Dream Girl (ft. Norah Jones), 13. Ras Trent, 14. D**k In A Box (ft. Justin Timberlake), 15. The Old Saloon (Interlude), 16. Punch You In The Jeans, 17. Space Olympics, 18. Natalie's Rap (ft. Natalie Portman & Chris Parnell), 19. Incredibad.

There are a lot of laughs to be had, though there does seem to be maybe an overload of rap/hip-hop sound (I'm not a music expert and not too into those particular genres, but I guess that's what it is), so be prepared for that. There is thankfully some other stuff mixed in though, and some guest appearances too! Not everything is totally hilarious, but it's overall a definite winner. I particularly enjoyed Samberg's reggae wannabe song "Ras Trent", his retro freak-out "Space Olympics", the Chronicles of Narnia cheering "Lazy Sunday", and "Sax Man" with Jack Black, and of course the famous big three: J**z in my Pants, D**k in a Box, and Natalie's Rap. Oh, yeah, Boombox is pretty hilarious too.

The included DVD features 8 videos, two of which are for songs not on the disc. 1. J**z in my Pants, 2. Just 2 Guys, 3. Lazy Sunday, 4. Ras Trent, 5. We Like Sportz, 6. D**k in a Box, 7. Space Olympics, and 8. Bing Bong Brothers. All of the videos are pretty hilarious, except maybe for the Bing Bong Brothers. I'm sure I'm missing the point of that joke and that to some folks it's hilarious... Seemed kind of like an underdeveloped idea to me. The others are great though, and some will really have you on the floor with their hilarious visuals and lyrics. It's just a shame we didn't get the video for Natalie's Rap here. I mean, who doesn't love to just stare at Natalie Portman. I'll even watch her lame chick flicks just to ogle her. Even full-on preggers in "Where the Heart Is", she is unbelievably gorgeous! I just bought ANOTHER action figure of her. Why can't I stop?! Anyways, this CD/DVD set is great and an excellent value, and I highly recommend it if you like funny stuff. Check out the videos online somewhere, and if you like 'em, you'll wanna get this CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of the year!, February 10, 2009
This review is from: Incredibad [CD/DVD] (Audio CD)
Here's the thing about The Lonely Island dudes...they actually make really good music that could stand on it's own, but the comedy they add to it just takes this album to a whole new level! About half the album is new material that we haven't either seen on SNL or their website, and it's all genius! Highlights for me (of the new material) includes "Like a Boss," the title track "Incredibad," and "Punch You in the Jeans."

I do want to throw a warning out there though...listen to this in the car at your own risk! Driving back from the store after purchasing this I almost crashed I was laughing so hard!

5.0 out of 5 stars SNL heroes The Lonely Island unleash uproariously funny 'Incredibad', February 20, 2009
Dustin Perry (Sagamihara, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Incredibad [CD/DVD] (Audio CD)
If asked, a large number of devoted "Saturday Night Live" viewers might say the digital short films are the funniest aspect of the show's recent seasons -- and, "Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals" notwithstanding, it would be hard to argue with them. Aired on the venerable late-night comedy program since 2005, several of the shorts have become viral video sensations, spawning hundreds of copycat remakes and, in turn, effectively broadening SNL's appeal to that of the Internet Generation.

It is perhaps telling that the prerecorded shorts and the Wahlberg sketch (seriously, Google it) both involve mop-haired writer/cast member Andy Samberg: He and fellow SNL writers Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone -- better known as comedy team The Lonely Island -- are the creators of the segments, and the trio's penchant for absurd humor is apparent throughout every last one of the three-minute music videos and fake public service announcements produced by the trio thus far.

In particular, TLI's songs are among their most memorable and enduring output -- not just because the lyrics are laugh-until-you-cry hilarious, but also because the group's predominantly rap-based style translates into surprisingly solid tunes, collected for the first time in album form on the unabashedly excellent (and misleadingly titled) "Incredibad."

As a genre, musical comedy has made stars of only a few of its practitioners -- Tenacious D, Flight of the Conchords and, to a lesser extent, Adam Sandler -- so it certainly bodes well for TLI that, aside from a handful of quickie interludes that run the gamut from "pretty funny" to "just OK," "Incredibad" is a front-to-back grand slam that absolutely begs for repeat listens.

Opener "Who Said We're Wack?" has the boys angrily and repetitively seeking out an anonymous slanderer who has hurled at them the mild insult taken from the song's title. It quickly establishes the album's underlying theme and effectively highlights TLI's go-to comedic device: paradoxically placing inane, small-scale subject matter in the context of hardcore rap's extravagant beats and boastful lyrical leanings.

Other songs in which this formula is used include "Santana DVX" (more or less a theme song for a made-up champagne endorsed by the famous guitarist), "Like a Boss" (a southern-rap ode to supervisors that quickly devolves into an increasingly graphic bullet list of daily tasks) and the massively popular "Lazy Sunday" (Samberg and SNL alum Chris Parnell hyping about cupcakes and a weekend showing of "The Chronicles of Narnia").

The album includes an extensive roster of guest performers, and I can honestly say there isn't a clunker in the bunch. It is refreshing to see artists like Norah Jones, Julian Casablancas and even the normally intolerable T-Pain step outside their comfort zones and prove they have a sense of humor by delivering oddball choruses on "Dreamgirl," "Boombox" and "I'm on a Boat," respectively.

The album's standout track, for me at least, would have to be "Ras Trent," a scathingly funny riff on an age-old college-student stereotype: the white guy with dreadlocks who is way too into Bob Marley (you know your dorm room had one.) It's essentially Samberg rattling off a laundry list of arbitrary Jamaican slang and Rastafarian references in his corniest possible voice.

It should be mentioned that TLI are wholly unapologetic in their use of profanity (indeed, two of the funniest and most well-known tracks have titles that cannot be printed in this review.) If there is space for an extra F-bomb or explicit anatomical reference, TLI make use of it at least once in every song. Sure to shock any "Star Wars" fanboys who happen to pick up the album is "Incredibad"'s filthiest number, "Natalie's Rap," sung by the adorable and pixie-ish Natalie Portman.

The digital shorts continue to be a regular part of the SNL lineup, evidence that TLI have a knack for visual humor. With "Incredibad" -- and, hopefully, future releases -- they prove to have the audio side of things locked down as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars "We wanna be the greatest fake MCs on earth!", February 17, 2009
This review is from: Incredibad [CD/DVD] (Audio CD)
The Lonely Island is the name of the three guys responsible for Hot Rod and the Digital Shorts on Saturday Night Live, and Incredibad is their first album which compiles the songs they've often used for those along with some good brand new ones. Most of the tracks are in a hip hop style, and while I would have appreciated some more musical diversity it's hard to mind too much when the results are as funny and catchy as they tend to be here. There are some genuinely nice beats backing up the goofy lyrics and appearances by lot of celebrities, both actors and legitimate musicians. If you've ever laughed at Andy, Jorma, and Akiva's work before it's worth checking out.

While the sound does veer towards rap, there's still some variance in the specific style emulated, it's mostly pretty standard but songs like "Punch You in the Jeans" have a more old school sound. "I'm on a Boat" was their most recent to be made into a video, and is a funny jab at the over-exuberance of the genre made complete with a nice performance by T-Pain. E-40 has a nice verse in a song about Carlos Santana's sparkling wine, the singer from The Strokes croons about the power of a boombox, and Norah Jones guests on a track about the group's strange idea of a girl of their dreams. The album even goes as far back as Natalie Portman's turn as a gangster rapper, and the song's even funnier uncensored. It really is an explicit album too, with plenty of curses thrown around liberally for comedic effect. It culminates with the final title track, which details the silly, very graphic way that the group became what they are today. It's not a musical masterpiece, but Incredibad is a funny and enjoyable way to spend about 40 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album. LIKE A BOSS!!, February 13, 2009
BeardPapa (Tulsa, OK. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Incredibad [CD/DVD] (Audio CD)
Woke up on Tuesday. LIKE A BOSS!! Took a shower. LIKE A BOSS!! Got dressed for work. LIKE A BOSS!! Got in my car. LIKE A BOSS!! Went to work. LIKE A BOSS!! Waited four hours. LIKE A BOSS!! Clocked out for lunch. LIKE A BOSS!! Went to Best Buy. LIKE A BOSS!! Bought this album. LIKE A BOSS!! Got back in my car. LIKE A BOSS!! Put this CD in. LIKE A BOSS!! Pressed play and JIZZED IN MY PANTS!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Over SNL's Head, February 11, 2009
This review is from: Incredibad [CD/DVD] (Audio CD)
Folks that claim "SNL isn't funny anymore" or have recently bandwagoned the show via Digital Shorts & Tina Fey's Palin need to reassess what these Three Kings bring to the table. Akiva, Jorma & Andy know what's up and make every parody clip & song relevant to today's young humor sensibility. And when I say "young humor", I mean the bass-thumping, sex-driven, foul mouth fire these guys spit on every track (See: I'm on a Boat, Lazy Sunday, Like a Boss). Though most songs don't match the aggressive or violent tone of an N.W.A., I wouldn't recommend this album for young ears.

However, any fan of The Lonely Island productions or the "New SNL comedy" should not think twice about picking this up. It's a breath of fresh air for all things funny and a great exposé on the silliness of what noise these kids listen to these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is GREAT!!!, February 11, 2009
This review is from: Incredibad [CD/DVD] (Audio CD)
First off, I am a big fan of SNL and the recent cast. Andy Samberg and crew are extremely talented folks.
My wife and I enjoyed the creativity, music and blue humor. The production is well done, the lyrics are hilarious and the guests that participate are very fun.
This CD is consistent all the way through (although "The Old Saloon" irritated me).

I highly expect for this CD to get a Grammy in 2010.

5.0 out of 5 stars Words can't describe it, February 12, 2009
This review is from: Incredibad [CD/DVD] (Audio CD)
There are albums that have some real good songs, but there are those rare ones that have enjoyable songs all the way through. I think this is one of those albums. I can listen to this CD from start to finish and still enjoy it. Plus, what other comedy album has T-Pain and has songs that could be considered legit rap songs. If you don't have this, get your head checked.

Incredibad [CD/DVD]
Incredibad [CD/DVD] by The Lonely Island (Audio CD - 2009)