Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

HALL OF FAMEon March 12, 2008
This self-published book is literally 100 pages from cover to cover; as such (the author's favorite phrase which he uses ad nauseam), the real stuff only goes from about page 12 to page 90. Plus there's a ton of white space on each page.

Why do I mention this? Because even though the book makes some tax topics easy to understand -- for instance, I liked its short chapter on retirement plans -- it's a rather poor value for over twelve bucks. The author could have said so many more things, without complicating anything. For instance, the said chapter on retirement plans sorely lacks information -- important information -- on when each plan must be filed with the IRS. Also, the few chapters on business deductions (a topic most readers bought the book for) are very light and very shallow.

If you're absolutely clueless about sole-proprietorship tax planning and don't want to hire an accountant, this book can serve as a start, a primer of sort, but you'll need another more in-depth book like those put out by JK Lasser or Nolo. If you already know something about business taxes, this book will be too elementary for you.
on February 27, 2012
This is the 3rd book of Mike piper's that I have purchased and read. My wife and I have been self-employed for 20+ years. You would have thought by now that we would have known everything there was to know and this book would have had little to offer.

Not so. For us it helped to understand how all the parts fit together to create the bigger picture. For example, how self-employment taxes, exemption and deductions work. A nice how to on calculating self-employment tax.

Sort and concise and a great reference book. I especially liked the fact that he put information in the book w/ regard to the self-employed/individual 401 K and that you can get such a vehicle with a ROTH component. This is VERY important information becuase I think there are MANY 1099 or self employeed folks out there that do not even know such an investment option even exists.

Happy trails, cowboy Mike
on October 1, 2007
I purchased Nolo's Tax Savvy For Small Business and was inundated with unnecessary information. Mike Piper does an excellent job of getting straight to the point without missing any points. Very informative and helpful, thanks!
on October 2, 2007
As a private consultant I use this book as a reference guide even when helping my clients. I read to see if I agreed with everything and my reaction was wow "they actually know what they are talking about"!

I would recommend this to new business owners along with other consultants. It's a good guide and a good reference book when you get a client's issue that don't normally work with.

The only down side is that % and tax laws do change so you will still need to make sure you keep up with the newest rates.
on February 28, 2013
Now maybe there's stuff this book is not telling me that someone who knows this stuff thinks it should, but than that person should probably be reading some other book. For someone like me, who knows nothing beyond filing my own personal, employee-related taxes, this is just the right amount to keep me from closing the book.
on September 29, 2007
This book is fabulous. All I wanted was a simple rundown of what I needed to do as a self employed person. Read the script in about an hour and had all my answers as to where to start. Very easy and straightforward. I especially liked the section on estimated taxes, how to compute them, when they are due, etc. A great reference for all self employed to have on hand.
on March 1, 2010
I came into this with no prior knowledge of this topic. I spent a few hours one afternoon Googling Schedule C, Estimated Taxes and ended up coming across this book. I was a bit disappointed with what was missing. It did, however, cover what I learned in the first hour of my Google search, so if you want to make sure that you don't miss any of the basics and that you have a list of topics for further research, this is a good resource. If you're looking for a "Surprisingly Simple" How-To book, this is *not* the book for you, because it doesn't really go so far as to teach you how to actually do any of these things. I would have preferred a smaller font and more information or perhaps 150 pages or less:)
on July 8, 2014
As someone who knew literally nothing about taxes, this book was a great introduction.

By no means is this book going to make you an expert accountant.
It has one job: give the average layperson a simple overview of tax basics.
And it does that job well.

The brevity works to its advantage:
taxes are not exactly the sexiest subject in the world, so by keeping it short and sweet, it's able to hold your attention without boring you. I finished it in two sittings.

I'd definitely recommend this to a layperson interested in learning more about taxes.
And for that price, it can't be beat.
on July 3, 2015
Some of this is pretty common knowledge in my opinion but there are also several hidden gems that make it worth the read. I like the straight forward and easy to understand way Mr. Pipper explains things. Much more straight forward than most books you find out there.
on January 21, 2013
This book explains with extreme clarity the things you need to know when looking at starting out out on your own in a business. I believe everyone needs a good CPA (they can easily save you the money they cost), but it's best if you already understand what they're doing going in. You need to have the knowledge at the time you're making the financial decisions, not just at tax-filing time. This book was actually enjoyable to read. That's quite a feat, considering the topic.