Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: Audio CDChange

on June 3, 2008
Released on June 3rd, 2008, Disturbed's latest album is my personal favorite and arguably the best they've ever created. There's a huge difference with the band's chemistry and specifically the progression of their guitar riffs (including some sick solos in Indestructible) into memorable choruses. The following includes my personal ratings of each song, including a brief synopsis of what each song is about. Ultimately, the entire album is fantastic and well-balanced. You can't help but believe (especially after listening through the album in it's entirety, several times) that this is one of the best heavy metal albums ever created.

Indestructible: 9/10: Great lead-off song, definitely the best since Voices. Right from the get-go, you recognize that this is going to be a fast-paced, heavy album. This is a great song to start the album because it kind of pumps you up.
Inside the Fire: 8.6/10: I started to play it out after listening to it too many times, but it's still a great song. It fits especially well in the second slot of the album, because it keeps that past-paced, heavy beat that we saw ini the previous song. In any event, it's a good single (the video's up on their website).
Deceiver:8.4/10: The beginning has such a good riff to it. Once again, this song punches you in the face with heavy, fast riffs and a great solo right in the middle. The chorus is particularly good.
The Night-11/10: Best song on the album, and one of the best songs they've ever made. The riff in the beginning is amazing, and it continues with variations throughout the remainder of the song. And the solo in the middle is just stunning. It's definitely one of my favorite songs ever by them. I can easily see this being a single in the future.
Perfect Insanity:6.9/10: I'm not a big fan of Perfect Insanity, and there are much better songs on the album than this one. They specifically stuck the worst song on the album in between the two best songs (The Night and Haunted). I guess it was chosen as a single because of it's length. It's fast but not particularly memorable.
Haunted:10/10: An extremely dark, heavy song. It's easily the second best song on the album in my eyes, but I can also see why many people believe it's the best. The progression of the song rises until a climactic peak right in the middle. Thereafter, the song crashes down into an aggressive ending. Nice.
Enough-9.8/10: The way he sings the chorus in this song is particularly memorable and fantastic. Great hooks throughout, nice and heavy as well. You can really hear the emotions behind this song in his voice. It's also extremely heavy, but the chorus is incredible because the guitars slow down perfectly with Draiman's voice.
The Curse-7.7/10: It's a good song, no doubt about it. It just wasn't as memorable as other songs throughout the rest of the album.
Torn-9.5/10: The hooks right in the middle are incredible. The second best solo throughout the entire album. Absolutely amazing.It starts off really heavy, but doesn't really get to you until halfway through the song just how good it is.
Criminal:9.3/10: The lyrics and the guitar playing coordinate especially well in this song. Extremely catchy chorus. You can't help but rock out to it.
Divide: 9.4/10: At first, I didn't really like this song. I thought the end was kind of simple ("Divide, Divide, Divide, Divide. Divide, Divide, Break Apart and Divide"). But after listening to it a couple of times, It really began to grow on me and reminded me of their old stuff especially. I especially like the guitar effect they use for the main riff.
Façade: 9/10: A worthy ending to an amazing album. There's a nice change of pace in the song right in the middle. It ends up changing the song and made me gain more appreciation for the song in general.

I originally thought that Believe was alright, but probably the bands low-point as far as I'm concerned. After listening to Ten Thousand Fists, I noticed a startling change with the dynamics of the band, and Indestructible is the next step in their progression and evolution as a maturing and coherent band. That being said, I would consider this my favorite Disturbed album made thus far and certainly one of their best. It's almost as if the band combined the best of what they had to offer in Believe and Ten Thousand Fists and meshed the positives of each album together, leading to Indestructible. It's hard to find any songs that I didn't like on this album; each one is different in their own rights, and worth being listened to. The album as a whole exceeded my expectations, and they were high to begin with.

Overall Rating: 9.7 (Out of 10)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 3, 2008
My review of Disturbed's debut The Sickness labeled them "The New Kings of Metal". I think that there would be more than Ten Thousand Fists in the air in agreement that Disturbed certainly still hold their position in the hierarchy of Metal with the release of this new disk.

What an impressive follow-up Indestructible is to Disturbed's Ten Thousand Fists. Indestructible is a disk of hard rocking, melodic music with terrific vocals by David Draiman that can be understood all the way through. Dan Donegan (guitar) and Mike Wengren (drums) once again work together in a way that keeps every song rocking along with head bobbin, foot stompin precision (this as opposed to music where the drums and bass merely keep time in the background).

There are many bands trying to be hard these days. Disturbed do not have to try. Clearly their music is what comes naturally to them. Indestructible is not the awful manufactured Pop Metal like Nickelback and most recently the American Idol cookie cutter music from the likes of Daughtry and David Cook. Indestructible is straight-up Hard Rock.

In my last review of Disturbed's music I called them Metal and caught a lot of flack from fans of hardcore bands like Lamb of God and Slipknot who said Disturbed isn't Metal. I say Disturbed is Metal. Disturbed sounds a lot more like the pioneers of Metal like Zeppelin, Priest and Maiden than some of the unlistenable Nu Metal and Hardcore Metal that seems to have taken over today.

If fact, Indestructible is Disturbed's first CD where Donegan is fully released from guitar solo prison. Donegan is clearly one of the more talented guitarists on the Hard Rock scene today. But when Nu Metal became popular, it became taboo for a band to include guitar solos, and Hard Rock bands like Disturbed were guitar solo-silenced...much to the chagrin of outspoken critics like the great Zakk Wylde (of Ozzy fame). But fear not, Zakk, because one listen to Indestructible will bring a giant guitar soloist smile to your face.

Indestructible is Heavy Metal in its most grass roots form of the art...vocals that you can follow, harmonies, melody, intensity...a uniqueness to each song where there is no confusion as to whether the track has changed. Indestructible is great, hard rockin' fun.

This disk is an absolute must for your Metal/Hard Rock collection. That's right...I said Metal.
5050 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2008
When I first saw the cover art for Indestructible, I thought it looked suspiciously like the art for the previous album (or like the cover to a single from that album). When I finally heard Indestructible, I figured out why; it's pretty much the same album as Ten Thousand Fists. The unfortunate thing is that I actually prefer this album to its immediate predecessor,--I think most of the songs are technically better--but the feeling of sameness that accompanies the tunes detracts from them. If Indestructible had been released first, I would have a much higher opinion of it.

Similarly, if Indestructible and Ten Thousand Fists had both been released before Believe, I would hold them in even higher regard. I feel Believe is by far their best album as it shows them much more willing to experiment a bit with their sound. They mixed the heavy with the melodic to greater effect on songs like "Prayer," "Believe" and "Remember," and they didn't even mind throwing in some odd meter here and there. (Catnip for prog nerds like myself.) Given that they've since released two albums that sound exactly the same as each other, I fear they've settled on what they feel to be their definitive sound and that we won't be hearing much innovation from them in the future.

That said, there are definitely some good tracks on here. The first two especially stand out. "Inside the Fire" may be one of their poppiest tracks yet--I keep getting the image of dancing girls performing some nifty synchronized choreography during the chorus--but it lends to its incredible catchiness. I really like the new recording of "Perfect Insanity," which I didn't really care for much in its demo incarnation. Honestly, if you took the standout tracks from this, the standouts from Ten Thousand Fists and combined them with some of the B-sides from the Ten Thousand Fists recording sessions, you'd have an incredibly solid album on the level of The Sickness.
on June 6, 2008
Disturbed has done it again in their most Angry, Violent, Sinister and Darkest album yet. With the talents of David, Dan, John and Mike you already know that it'll be amazing. But in Indestructible they have pulled out all the stops and revived the elements of their Best selling Triple Plattinum album "The Sickness." As well as the calmer style that was featured in their second album "Believe." In this album David tends to sing about things related to his past. Such as the song "Inside the Fire," where he sings about an incident of suicide. In "The Night," he sings about giving in to the darkness. And in "Indestructible," he sings about war. Mabye some people would be a little sceptical about this but I certainly recomend the album. One things for sure, with the release of their fourth album Disturbed truly is "Indestructible."
on June 4, 2008
Let me start out by saying that I am not really a fan of any radio or mainstream music in general. Not because I am closed minded at all, but rather the music is generally too simplistic and dumbed down for mass appeal. After growing up a metal fan and sticking with metal bands like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metal Church etc.. even through the alternative grunge years, I just couldn't simplify myself and accept a lot of these bands after I had heard so much better before. It was also hard to respect any of this music as a guitar player because it was so easy and unchallenging to play.

Eventually metal started slowly coming back again in the underground led by great but unknown bands like Nevermore (who Disturbed rightfully took on their European tour), Iced Earth, Evergrey, Symphony X, Brainstorm, etc... Now even a mainstream act like Disturbed, who started out as nu-metal, have mostly shed all of those aspects and have morphed into a more traditional modernized metal sound with guitar solos and everything! Funny how just a few years ago bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were mocked and made fun of in the US, yet ironically now being labeled as nu-metal is considered uncool? Ahh we're such a trendy country with little integrity musically aren't we?

Anyway Disturbed is a mainstream act I like, although I can't think of any others (maybe Sevendust as well if you consider them mainstream). With their new effort 'Indestructable' I find myself liking and respecting them even more. I am glad there is actually a good mainstream metal/rock act out there and I do not hate on them like so many 'metal elitists' choose to. This album is a little more complex for Disturbed. It's not as catchy as TTF and actually challenges the listener a little more. Dan's guitar solos have been taken up a notch and most songs have a guitar solo! Good to know corporate radio stations are actually allowing solos now! Hasn't killed anybody yet has it? What's next, is 'Fall Out Boy' actually going to get heavier? Well it might take a few testosterone injections into those boys but you never know?

Bottom line is this is probably Disturbed's best and most METAL album yet! Good job guys! Maybe there is actually a shred of hope for good bands with actual talent to be heard in America. But note (WARNING) to the band: If real metal becomes uncool or not the 'In Thing' again please do not drop soloing and revert back to the trendy sound of the month! You will be respected more in the long run if you keep your integrity rather than chase the trend. Do I need to give any better example than 'Metallica'???

Respect....for now!
VINE VOICEon October 23, 2008
It took me a few listens to really get involved with what they were trying to accomplish with Indestructible, but it is truly a great release. Its definitely not as immediately accessible as 10,000 Fists (which hits you right in the face instantly). But this is a super release, one that can be listened to from beginning to end over and over.

I never get sick of David Draimans voice, as he can go from harsh to growl to melodic in the same passage. He is for sure a great frontman and serious vocalist in the metal world.

The band is tighter than ever, and the tunes just pound and pound away at you. Its really a great listen, especially if you need a few spins and some time in between to get used to this new collection of music from Disturbed. Definitely a great addition to 2008's music. I pre-ordered it and would do the same again!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Disturbed has done it again! another great Metal album, I'm into all types of metal and I know that these guys get labeled "Nu-Metal", well I dont care personally ( I listen to all types of Metal and Rock Music ) I love the riffs, power chords, Crunch of the guitars and of course Draimans' powerful vocals!. I've listened to this album 3 times already and it's probably their best yet to date. If you love thier other albums then you "HAVE TO" get this one...Long Live Metal!

Highlights for me are:
The Night
Perfect Insanity
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2008
Myself, I didn't much like _Ten Thousand Fists_--only two songs were memorable and one of them was a cover. I also don't like overtly political songs, for the simple reason that in five years, ten years, they're ancient.

The great news is that Disturbed apparently got that stuff out of their system and are back to doing what they do best. They're you younger generation's Iron Maiden--they are an institution unto themselves. Dave's unique voice and their signature syncopation changes are back, along with driving rhythms and that terrific 'wall of sound'. It's hard to believe this is just four guys, and all that noise isn't just distortion--there are very intricate rhythmic and melodic changes underneath.

Reviewers who have commented on alleged 'cheesiness' in this album really ought to listen to some King Diamond before they start throwing around silly accusations like that, or reading Brujiera lyrics. CHEEZY is death metal Cookie Monster vocals. And if you're looking for life-changing philosophy in a song-lyric, the problem lies with YOU and not with the band. I think Disturbed is aiming for 'dark' here, and they hit it spot on. And not many bands would use words like 'obdurate' in their lyrics. For that, I could kiss them. With tongue.

Some albums you have to listen to several times before songs 'grow' on you, and sometimes on the first listen, songs will reach out and grab your eardrums and won't let go. This album is definitely in that second category. They do feature a few 80s-esque guitar solos, which I think anyone who grew up with 80s/90s metal will appreciate rather than diss. It's a solid album that shows that they're secure enough in their own sound that they aren't going to sell out to the latest trend.

Though I do miss the usual 'cover song'. :(
on May 11, 2009
I read through pages of Reviews, and no one seemed to 'get' the cd. it was all about how 'rockin' it was. how awesome. music lovers threw in their descriptions of how the music builds, but no one seemed to pay attention to the Lyrics.

This CD was a Dark one. Most of the songs influenced by...we'll call it a Rough Patch in Davids life. 'Criminal' and 'Inside the fire' seem to throw this fact out there the most. Criminal is by far my favorite song on the cd, but it's probably because I'm in Constant excruciating pain, and i can relate to the idea of wanting the pain to end, even if it means i have to die.

all in all, this cd was incredibly powerful. Business as Usual for Disturbed. you feel what they want you to feel, and you feel it powerfully. Davids voice is incredible, I love that fine line he balances between Rough and Melodic. It isn't more one way than the other, rather a perfect balance. If you've never heard Disturbed before, this is a band you have to hear. While the Sickness will always be my favorite since it was the first i heard, Indestructible is an amazing combination of emotion and Powerful music.
on June 12, 2008
Disturbed has been my fav metal band since "Believe". So picking the CD up certainly made my day.

At first listen, you get the hard driving pulse and the consistency of the album. While 'Inside the Fire' got into my head and didn't leave for a few days, most of the other songs are taking longer to sink in.

And after about 20 listens, I'm starting to get into each one of them. With each listen they're sounding better and better. Mind trick: think of Indestructible as 3 EPS: tracks 1-4 are the opener, 5-9 middle section and 10-12 the closer. Each part can be seen as slightly distinct, with most of the punch in the 1-4 and 10-12 portions.

I'll be making my final judgment after a few months, the time it normally takes me to move a release off my "new" playlist. But for sure this is no letdown from their previous stuff. And it may turn out to be one of the most loved hard rock albums ever made.