4.0 out of 5 stars PUTTING DOWN ROOTS OF THE HEART
I have enjoyed Lois Lenski's books since I was a girl back in the 50's, but this is one of her best. Based on a true life narrative, INDIAN CAPTIVE chronicles the psychological journey from white girl to a young Seneca woman. In fact Mary Jemison (kidnapped at 15) became known, respected and loved as the White Woman of the Genesee. Lenski recreates her struggle to...
Published on March 31, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Kristen's review
I liked the book Indian captive because it was full of history and was based on a true story. It really showed the ways and the ideas of the Indians and how they weren't that bad, they just wanted to love and protect their people. I have read a couple others about Indian captives but I like this one the best because the author took so much time explaining how molly...
Published on April 21, 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Indian Captive, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison (Paperback)
Indian Captive, writhen by Lois Lenski, is a based true story of young Mary Jemison, who was taken, in the year of 1758, by Seneca Indian. A band of warriors invaded her house and took her family captive. Mary is separated from her family. They went across mountains and valleys to get to Fort Duquesne. Mary was sold to two Indian women, and was taken to their village.

At the village, Mary got a new name of Corn tassel and was called Corn tassel because of her blond hair. She was miserable so she tried to runaway. She makes new friends and starts to enjoy living with Indian. She is offered a chance to go back with her family, but she can't leave her new family behind. Will she ever see her family again, or will she stay with the Indians? Read the book and find out.

We give this book *** [3] and a half stars, because interesting and exciting. We recommend this book to our friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely captivating, March 16, 2000
Anne (Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison (Paperback)
"On a spring day in 1758, something happened that changed her life forever." This is the story of a girl named Mary Jemison. At first when I looked at it I thought, "No, that usually isn't the kind of stuff I'm interested in." But in the end, I decided to read it anyways. It turned out to be really great! I was drawn into the book by her struggles to reject the new lifestyle. I felt as though I could really understand her point of view and her thoughts. I felt like I knew how it would feel to be her. That made it a lot more interesting. Also, the things I learned about native american culture were really intriguing. I recommend this book to fifth grade and higher. Any younger and the reader might become a little bored in the slower parts. Other than that, it's EXCELLENT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cornwall, NY 6th Grader, January 31, 2006
This review is from: Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison (Paperback)
I am a 6th grader. I really loved reading Indian Captive the story of Mary Jemison by Lois Lenski. This book is based on a true story. One of the many reasons I liked this book was it had lots of action and adventure. Mary Jemison was 12 years old when taken from her family's farm in Eastern Pennsylvania on a spring day in 1758 by a band of Indian warriors. Mary was separated from her parents and her sisters and brothers on that day. The Indians made her travel to a Seneca village on the Genesee River and this is where all the adventure begins. I really admired the character Mary Jemison, also known as Corn Tassel, an Indian name given to her by the Senecas because of her pretty yellow hair. Mary was strong, brave and very smart. She adapted to the Indian ways in order to survive.

One of my favorite parts of the book was that Mary never forgot the advice that her mother gave her or her family. Another favorite part is when Mary learns that the Indians taught her many new things about the earth, its plants, and its creatures. At the end, Mary has the chance to return to the world of white men. Could she leave the Indians?

I would really recommend this story to anyone who is interested in the time of the French and Indian war. I would also recommend this book to anyone who would like to read about the effects that the Indians had on this country.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book for someone about Mary/Molly Jemison's age, November 1, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison (Paperback)
Possibly interesting reading for a young teenage or preteen girl. Otherwise, the writing is very simplistic, often redundant to make a 'teaching' point. Thrust of the book seems to be teaching Indian methods and building a positive image, not necessarily telling Mary Jemison's story. Perfectly politically correct reading, which means somewhat sterile, but safe for all ages... if they will bother to finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to our homeschool history studies, April 11, 2013
This review is from: Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison (Paperback)
Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison is a wonderful addition to Lenski's historical novels - a story about the real life of Mary Jemison who was captured on an Indian raid and raised among the Senecas.

In the early days of American, many children were captured by Indians. Some of these children chose not to return to white families when later given the choice. Mary (nicknamed Molly) was one of those children. Her capture occurred in 1758, right in the middle of the French and Indian War. Except for two older brothers who escaped, her family was massacred. Molly was adopted by the Indians and ended up living the rest of her life with them.

The book changes a few of Molly's circumstances for younger readers, but is otherwise true to the original story. Lenski has done her research and it shows. She not only accurately captures life with the Seneca (and Iroquois tribe), but also successfully portrays the inner struggle in Molly's heart and mind as she adjusts to her new life. Molly struggles to not forget her family and hangs on with a fierce tenacity to their memories. She clings to what her mother and father told her before being separated and repeats their names to keep them fresh in her mind. After finding out they've been killed, Molly has to deal with the dichotomy of knowing that the Indians who killed her family are also the people who have grown to love and care for her. It's a warfare in her heart as she struggles to come to grips with these realities.

Once she's given a chance to go back to white "civilization", Molly finds she has a final choice to make that will forever seal her fate as one thing or another. Is she white? Is she an Indian?

Indian Captive has a satisfying end. After getting there, you can understand why Molly makes the decision she does, whether you agree with it or not. Besides a great opportunity to learn some real history, the book is a terrific window into Indian culture. The Indians are not portrayed as evil or wonderful. They are a range of everything in between, as all human beings are - with some characters more sympathetic than the rest. Indian Captive made a great addition to our homeschool for the mid 1700′s as we learned about the French and Indian War. I read it out loud to my two older kids and was delighted to be given the opportunity to review the Kindle edition. Besides a complex and emotional story, the illustrations by Lenski are a visual treat.

Christian parents, there is some mention of Indian spirituality with mentions of the "Great Spirit".

I also think this story will appeal more to girls than boys, although both my daughter and son enjoyed it when I read it to them years ago.

If you are looking for a book to delve into Iroquois Indian culture or to illustrate the effects of the French and Indian War on both sides, Indian Captive is a great addition to homeschool history studies. It's also just a good adventure book that explores a little bit of psychological complexities and makes for some good discussion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, November 23, 2005
This review is from: Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison (Paperback)
"The Injuns'll never hurt you, Molly-child! Why, when they see your pretty yaller hair a-shinin' in the sun, they'll think 'tis only a corn-stalk in tassel! They'll never hurt you! Remember that, Molly-child!"

Twelve-year-old Mary Jemison (Molly) loved the days spent with her family on their farm in eastern Pennsylvania. It only takes one event to change a person's life, and that's exactly what happened to Molly. It was a beautiful day when some French soldiers and Indians came and attacked her home. She was separated from her family and taken to live with the Seneca tribe. She disliked the Seneca's at first, but they were kind to her and taught her many things. Over time she began to like them. But then Molly is given the chance to return to her own people. Will she?

I thought that this book was very interesting and well written, but i think that the story was a little disturbing because the French soldiers kill her family and it shows Molly mourning throughout the book, even though she finds love when she joins the Seneca tribe.

The Author- Lois Lenski, has written and illustrated many books for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Closer Look, July 11, 2001
This review is from: Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison (Paperback)
I have read this book at least six times, and it still captivates me that the author kept such a close feel on the character, Mary. Ms.Lenski took her imagination to the extreem. I believe that she took into herself the emotions and the heart of Mary and used it to her advantage. The whole setting of the book and especially the other characters in it make it a wonderful experience and it sends a feeling inside me that nastalgia seems too small a word to speak. It reminds me of where I lived as a child, and the person, Mary, sounds so much like I was. She talked like she knew much more than her age should alow her to. She spoke with clarvoyance and dignity that many other characters did not have. She learned the language of the Indians quickly and learned their culture with no complaint. I only wish Ms. Lenski would write more about Mary Jemison. I want to know what happened to the girl who did not return to her people when she had the chance. This book has changed my outlook on books. I read it for the first time in the fifth grade, and it touched me in such a way I cannot describe. I love how Ms. Lenski put her descriptions into words. I can never seem to do it exactly how I plan. I am currently writing two books, neither of which would, or could compare to Indian Captive. I only hope that my books will get published and appreciated like this one. I am sorry that I made this so long, but like I said, I can never really quite put into words exactly what I want to say. Thank you for listening to my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so normal, January 13, 2008
This review is from: Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison (Paperback)
If you like books about young girls who get captured then Indian Captive is the book for you by Lois Lenski! Mary Jemison and her family are captured by the Seneca Indians in Eastern Pennsylvania. The Seneca's take them far away from their homeland to many different places. She is separated from her family with only her little brother and another captive. Many things will happen! Will she see her family ever again? Will she learn to accept what happened? What will happen? I would recommend this book to my peers because it is full of excitement! We give it 5 stars because it has a lot of adventure!
*****
written by Tiffani,Katheren,and Katrina

4.0 out of 5 stars Indian Captive is Captivating, January 25, 2001
This review is from: Indian Captive (Paperback)
This book truely took my interest from the very beginning. The content is andvanced enough for adults and simple enough even for a 4th grader. Indian Captive surely deserves its Newbery Honor. A girl captured by the Senca Indians has to live and share her hardships with them while trying not to forget her family. I thought it was fun to imagine Mary (main character) actully live her life with the Senca. In realty, she actually did. This is based on a true story and is a good choice when looking for something to read and share with your kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boring? NOT!, February 22, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Indian Captive (Paperback)
I didn't want to read this book, but it was school asignment so I had to. As soon as got got into it, I didn't want to put it down! It's not very thrilling, but you really feel with the character! You picture Molly out in the field of rippening corn with her yeller hair a shining in the sun. You cry with for her when she's taken from her family, and you rejoice when she learns to love the indians, because by that time you love them too! Great book! Not a boring moment!

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison
Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison by Lois Lenski (Paperback - February 18, 1995)
$6.99