Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on September 18, 2008
I love Indiana Jones and since the movie and the book released together - i decided to read (listen) it...i must say that the i could literally see the characters jump out, the narrative and characterization is just fantastic!
a great thrill ride it was nice to see Indiana and Marian together ... and Mutt ... yep their son ... who is another Indie in the making ... watchout!!
worth read (listen) - BTW the movie is in my blockbuster queue ;-)
on February 22, 2009
If you weren't thrilled with the movie, don't be put off by the book - the whole family enjoyed listening to this on a recent trip. The kids listened to the book before they saw the movie, and preferred it to the movie. I saw the movie first, and enjoyed the deeper understanding of the plot line you get from the book.
Be prepared for a fun, but melodramatic beginning, but I think you'll find you want to RETURN! to the book.
on June 19, 2008
James Rollins is a fantastic author. He takes you through a mind boggling, intricate web of suspense and then he throws in a supernatural element that makes it feel real. Then, you are left sitting on the edge of your seat until you finish the book. I rate him #1 in my favorites starting with his very first book, Subterranean.
on June 19, 2008
We really enjoyed this book.It is a good action packed adventure.There is so much more you can put in a book than on the screen.I am on my 2nd time reading it.It is one of those you can't put down books and the funny parts really make you laugh out loud.I will suggest this book to my other friends.
on June 16, 2008
Excellent book! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to this week. The book just makes me want to see the movie even more. There were times when people would start talking to me and I would actually get annoyed because I was at a part where I couldn't put the book down. Simply riveting!
on June 18, 2010
I have a couple books by James Rollins, but Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the first one I've read. I figured it would probably be the least like his normal style since it's a novelization so I wouldn't be shocked if it was very different from his usual style.

I was a little disappointed with the science fiction ending of the movie when I first saw. I've come to see the logic with it having seen the movie a second time and read Rollins book. The original Indiana Jones movies were set in the 1930's and 1940's and followed the style of movies of that time. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull follows the Cold War and science fiction themes of movies in the 1950's.

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is set in 1957 as the wisecracking and whip cracking Indiana Jones seeks the origin of a mysterious crystal skull. He is racing against Russians who are seeking to steal the skull for its reputed mystical powers. Along the way, Indy also discovers he has a teenage son he doesn't know he had.

Rollins followed the movie pretty closely, though there are some extra scenes, primarily at the beginning of the book. In the book, you get to find out how the Russians captured Indy by the opening scene of the movie. I thought Rollins did a good job of maintaining the pacing of the moving in written word.

Knowing the movie and having heard Rollins describe his own style, I would say the two are a perfect fit. The proof is in the book.
on July 27, 2008
Maui H.S. Coming during a time when I decided to enjoy lighter read books; I couldn't be happier. Indy is drawn into a search for the resting place of the thirteen crystal skulls associated with the ancient Mayans.
Indiana meets up with former associates, but at last with my favorite Indiana Jones character, Marion Ravenhead. I had loved her since the first movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark. After that movie I had hoped Indiana hooked up with her. I loved all Indiana movies, but was always disappointed that a new female figure appeared for love trysts. Yes they were only trysts. I was thrilled that Indiana finally hooked up with my favorite.
The story is never ending action. This story is more never ending action that the other three. I love the Communist bad guys now that the Nazi bad guys are gone. The treks across the jungle are definitely `I cannot put down.'
This book is a typical Indiana Jones action adventure. The twist at the end thrilled me the most. We aren't talking God or other world aliens. We are talking scientific reality. What am I saying? Read the Book! You will love it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 26, 2011
I don't know which came first, the screenplay or the novel, but the movie follows the book almost word-for-word, or visa versa. For an Indiana Jones fan, anticipating the movie several years ago, this would have been a good read.

The novel adds almost nothing to the (weak) story. No extra character development. No additional mythological background--because the story is entirely contrived with not the slightest historical basis. If you've seen the movie, there is no point in reading the book.

Both the novel and the movie contain the same unnecessary nonsense-science. Gunpowder is not magnetic. Lead bullets are not magnetic. Gold coins are not magnetic. Household refrigerators are not lead-lined, and even if they were, would not stop the radiation at ground-zero of a nuclear blast. Indeed, the refrigerator would have been vaporized. No-one could survive being blasted several miles in a refrigerator by a nuclear blast. The nonsense almost deteriorates to comic-book level. The novel and the movie could be accurately described as anti-educational.

Earlier Indiana Jones movies were occassionally over-the-top, but had some basis in reality. The Nazis really were "New Age hippies with guns", and really launched archeological expeditions looking for the Grail, etc. "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is almost a spoof of Indiana Jones movies. Even so, it is fun for the pure, unrelenting, action. It is entirely the fabulous cinemaphotography which makes the movie. RECOMMENDATION: See the movie.

RECOMMENDATION: See the movie. You may as well buy a copy. It is so emminently forgetable, that you can view it perhaps once a year for the rest of your life, and never be bored. Rembering the plot can spoil re-viewing many movies. Fortunately, the Crystal Skull doesn't have a plot to remember.

> Click on “Stoney” just below the product title to see my other reviews, or leave a comment to ask a question.
on July 2, 2013
Great author. I enjoy reading his books. They are a "I can't put it down" type of book. You will enjoy this one a lot.
on May 27, 2014
It is by Balantine books, (they made the original indy books in the 80's) it has sixty one awesome chapters.!