Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon December 6, 2008
This is a GREAT cookbook for any type of indoor grill you may have. Since I have a few different types of indoor grills, I appreciate the separate cooking instructions for each type. Every recipe we've tried has been a winner. I highly recommend making the sauces, compound butters, salads and other various accompaniments included with many of the recipes because, as good as the basic recipes are, these are often the soupçons that transport the dishes to whole new levels.

The reviewer who complained about the recipes being not much more than salt and pepper must have another book, or must not be making the accompaniments. The Grilled Swordfish may seem pretty basic until you add the perfectly balanced, tart, creamy, puckery, garlicky flavors of the sublime Lemon Basil Butter. The Georgian walnut sauce is a killer with what might otherwise seem like standard grilled trout. The Cuban Sandwich and Medianoche are absolutely authentic versions of two brilliant sandwiches for which the cooking technique is paramount and clearly explained. The chicken recipes I've tried are all pretty darn terrific.
Steve Raichlen is the Grillin' guru and author of such books as BBQ USA, The Barbeque Bible and more. In this book, Steve tackles the problem that those of us in the frozen north face every year at this time. The snows on the ground, it's 15 degrees, and none of us wants to leave the warm comforts of our home to go out and fire up the grill.

No problem. Steve presents a cookbook with us in mind. These are recipes of outside grills that Steve gives us an equivalent to make using electric grills, stove top grills, even fireplace rotisseries to make these great recipes. Steve's book covers all the usual suspects including Beef, Chicken, seafood, veggies, sauces, appetizers and more, all designed to be prepared on whatever indoor grilling aplliance you choose to use. Steve also provides mucho helpful information on all of the indoor grilling machines and how to get the best use AND taste out of them.

Unless you have a fireplace, and I don't, you might not be able to really duplicate the taste of Mesquite or applewood, but you can still mare some darn good BBq in the dead of winter. And the Superbowl is only a few weeks away!
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2005
We don't have an outdoor grill. I love my George Foreman grill but didn't have a good variety of recipes and still always envied my friends who cooked incredible recipes on their gas grills outdoors. No more! I am loving the variety and end result of many of the recipes I've tried in this new, comprehensive cookbook!
on May 28, 2007
I was on Amazon searching for a portable gas grill when I stumbled across this book. I then realized that I do have a george forman grill that I never use, mainly because I never really knew how to "grill" food on it. Just flipping through the book gave me lots of ideas. Almost every recipe explains how to cook it depending on what type of grill you have -- and I looked for the recipes for the conact grill once the book explained to me what a contact grill was.

What I like the MOST is discovering the stovetop smoker. I love pulled pork BBQ sandwiches and smoked salmon, but I thought you had to have one of them large smokers like the restaurants. Now, I'm searching amazon for stovetop smokers and I can't wait to try out the recipes.

In the meantime, I have dusted off my george forman grill and I'm inspired to try out some of the recipes in this book which look delicious and easy to prepare.
on April 3, 2011
I just got an indoor grill and it didn't come with any recipes. I needed some guide for grilling indoors and I wanted something more than panini. I hesitated about buying this because the preview pages here on Amazon show recipes for different kinds of cookers and I didn't want to spend money for recipes that use equipment I don't have.

I ended up buying this book after I saw it in a store, and it turns out that most of his recipes can be cooked using a variety of different cooking tools. Raichlen gives clear instructions on how to adapt a recipe to a different type of cooker. So, it's not money wasted. There are a few recipes, such as the one for rotisserie chicken, which I won't be able to use on my grill, but the majority of recipes in the book are adaptable. What I really like it that the recipes are fairly straightforward and don't require a long list of exotic ingredients, yet they're definitely more than salt and pepper. Raichlen also includes recipes for sauces that can be used for any kind of meal -- grilled or not.

The book includes a full-color insert at the front but the rest of the book is illustrated with line-art. It's attractive enough and this doesn't detract from the book's functionality. The table of contents is pretty basic, but there is an extensive index. Sauce recipes are scattered throughout the book but are clearly marked in the index.
on April 15, 2013
Maybe I missed something before making this purchase, but this book is not even close to being exclusively about using indoor grills!! It's also about rotisseries and stovetop smokers and even cooking in the fireplace. So, I find I will spot a wonderful recipe, only to be disappointed to find out it's not written to be prepared in my contact grill or a cast iron skillet. I need more equipment, especially the fireplace!?? Considering that I'm "kitchen equipment poor," and maxed-out in storage space, I'm not willing to go that far that for a few recipes. Also, some of the recipes call for pretty specific ingredients that I do not feel are widely available or easily found outside of large urban markets. With that said, some of the recipes look wonderful. I just resent the fact that if I tore out all of the pages that don't apply the using my contact grill and grill pan...I end up with a fraction of the book I feel I paid for! I would have rather seen the various methods separated out into smaller publications than lumped all together!
on January 29, 2014
I was looking for a book that would give me some easy to make recipes on my new cuisinart griddler. I got some ideas for new sauces & spices for cooking, but many of his recipes were for cooking devices you have to purchase to make the recipe (like a stovetop smoker, or cooking in the fireplace?) Not what I was looking for, and got limited information out of it. Don't waste your money on this book unless you can get it real cheap.
on October 29, 2012
I recently purchased a Cuisinart 4 in 1 griddle/grill machine for our apartment, and was looking for a cookbook that would have specific timing/temperature instructions for an indoor grill, as well as some recipes tailored to indoor grill use. While I found the recipes a little too overdone/complicated for our liking, the book did provide some good tips for cooking meat and other types of food on an indoor grill. I liked that it has instructions for a lot of different types of indoor grills, because not all are made equal! In the end, this is a good reference book to have on hand, but we won't be reaching to it for new recipes to try that often.
on February 27, 2012
I have been grilling for almost 30 years on my back deck. I bought an indoor grill for the winter, and purchased this book at the same time. What a great book. What great ideas. No weird recipes to go to the ethnic store, or anything. Just a great book that will help you in your needs in the kitchen. Great book at a grat price.
on March 24, 2012
Raichlen's Indoor Grilling is a really helpful guide to the various types of indoor grilling that are possible, with a nice selection of recipes for lots of different types of grills.

The book has to be looked on as little more than introduction indoor smokers and rotisseries, there are a few very good recipes with some nice basic how to information but it's really just enough to get you fully engaged and ready for a more extensive book.

The core of this book is for the various other type of indoor grilling, standing grills, George Foreman types, grill pans, built in grills, etc. Most of the recipes are adaptable to these indoor grills and Raichlen helpfully gives detailed directions for how to cook with each one in each recipe. The recipes range from the very basic "Victory Chicken" (basically bbq chicken to the more exotic portobello "bool kogi". The layout is pretty helpful but sometimes the recipes seem to begin all over the place. Still generally well organized and easy to find what you want.

The recipes have a nice variety of approaches an ingredients. I would say that maybe he relies a little too much on liquid smoke to give things that fire cooked smoky taste but overall it doesn't show up everywhere and it does add some nice complication to his bbq sauce.

Absolutely worth getting if you're only way grilling is indoors and you're wondering what to do with the George Foreman grill your friends gave you.