5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Value!
Published on May 24, 2010 by A. Garcia

2.0 out of 5 stars POOR Quality Control...
Published on July 31, 2012 by Haven

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Value!, May 24, 2010
This review is from: Induro BHD2 Ballhead 39.6lb Load Capacity (Electronics)
I got this head to replace my Manfrotto 322RC2 grip head, which I did not like at all. I'm pleased to say that this Induro head has met all of my expectations. The separate controls for panning, drag, and lock are all excellent. The drag control allows you to adjust it to just the right point for smooth movement, then you simply turn and lock it down with the large knob. I found no sagging or creeping with my Canon 40D, grip, two batteries, and a 300mm f/4 lens mounted all together. Movement is smooth and silky.

Compared to the Markins Q3, this head is a great value, at nearly $150 less than the Markins. The Induro even brings an Arca Swiis style camera plate, something the other manufacturers make you order separately, and at upwards of $60 in addition to the head. Do yourselves a favor and get the Induro instead. Forget the Markins, Arca Swiss, Gitzo, and all the other extremely high priced heads out there. This Induro does the job, and then some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Step Up, March 5, 2010
This review is from: Induro BHD2 Ballhead 39.6lb Load Capacity (Electronics)
I upgraded to the Induro BHD2 Ballhead from the Manfrotto Joystick Head Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick Head Short and am very pleased with the switch, so I'll list the few pros and cons between the two. The major pro (and the reason I switched) is that the Induro head supports a heavier load with no creep or sagging. I can put my 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) with a large lens like the 70-200 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras securely. This was my only gripe with the Manfrotto Joystick, if you put a large lens on it in portrait mode the Manfrotto just doesn't hold up and starts to sag because you can't tighten the head.
The Induro head is smooth and secure with it's twist to tighten head. I also like the small compact size and light weight. I paired this head with the Induro CT214 legs Induro Carbon 8x Tripod CT-214 (Black) and the two fit together nicely in the provided carrying bag for the legs.

2.0 out of 5 stars POOR Quality Control..., July 31, 2012
I must say that i was really looking forward to getting this ballhead as it was well reviewed all over the internet. So you can understand my disappointment when i got the first one and the tripod mounting hole was drilled and tapper so far out of square that the unit had a 1/8" gap on one side with the other side contacting the pad of the tripod column!!!! So thank god for the awesome Amazon return/exchange system. I was able to quickly get a new one out to me before I needed it.

ONLY TO HAVE THE SECOND ONE MISALIGNED AS WELL!! This one wasn't as bad as the first but there was still no way I could level this thing to get it to turn a properly aligned panorama. And to top it off the finish on the second one was so poor it looked like it had been played with my a 2 year old. (this was not the case with the first unit. It was pristine.)

Oh and it should be said that I have a brand new tripod that I'm attaching this too and the stud on it is square. I verified that it was in fact the ballhead hole that was out by threading the included thread reducer and it went in at the same severe angle.

The only reason I'm not giving this a 1 star is because the fit and finish of the rest of the unit was really nice. The ball moved nicely with good drag. The knobs were comfortable and easy to turn. And the swivel felt very solid. I'm just not going to take another chance on having the bottom threads tapped crooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small, light, precise, September 3, 2010
I was looking for a small, lightweight tripod-ballhead set to support me during a trip to Paris and the French countryside for a project I am working on. I did a lot of research and turned to induro because of their specs and the praise given to them by Scott Bourne on Photofocus. I was shooting for an HDR photo collection app for iPhone and iPad (my first app Everglades Originals is currently available). My constraint was that the tripod and ballhead needed to be small enough to pack for an international trip, light enough to make it easy to carry for hours at a time, and stable enough for my Nikon D700 with my 70-200 f2.8 (largest lens I was taking). This ballhead really performed for me. The ballhead is compact and light. The quick release plate very secure on my camera or lens, and the controls very comfortable to use. I particularly appreciate the "panning" capability with the ball locked down. There is a tension knob which worked well. When combined with the Induro tripod, this allowed me to create the images I wanted. One of the problems with many tripod-ball head combinations is the bulk/weight trade-off with stability. A tripod-ballhead does no good if it is too heavy to bring with you or too flimsy to support your gear. For my travels and needs (including some very long exposures) this really did the trick. Very highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good ball head, July 8, 2012
This review is from: Induro BHD2 Ballhead 39.6lb Load Capacity (Electronics)
I bought this ball head to go with my Induro tripod I purchased recently...I shopped for a long time before deciding which brand of tripod and ballhead to purchase. In the end I decided to spend my money on a product with solid reviews and a lower price point than some of the more established brands...Induro seemed to fit the bill on both points. When I recieved the BHD2 and opened the package I was a little surprised by the weight...it is definitely beefy and weighed a bit more than I expected. Its weight combined with the weight of the Induro AT213 Alloy 8M AT-Series 3-Section Tripod I purchased make for a long tiring day if you are doing location work like I did recently in DC. On the plus side though you can't beat this combination for function...they are both rock solid and function much better than I expected. The BHD2 is about as solid as they come...as the product description claims, the knobs are all easy to access and work very well. I really like that I have almost unlimited movement options with the ballhead and the pan function. I also like the vertical cutout which allows quick and easy switches from horizontal to vertical shooting...a tip on this...be sure that the knob on the quick release plate is on the right side of your camera...otherwise it will prevent you from achieving a perfect horizontal orientation. The quick release system is very functional and easy to use...I plan to buy a second quick release plate for my large zoom lens, but must admit at $34 I'm a little hesitant to fork over the cash...though I will eventually. I am thoroughly impressed by how solid the ballhead works once you have it locked down. Duiring my recent trip to DC I had no fear carrying my camera/lens mounted on the tripod and over my shoulder to help ease the strain from the combined weight...this is something I would never have attempted with my old tripod. The panhead is very functional with a really nice visible cutout to view the compass points/degrees. The knob control for the panhead is located well and very solid. All in all, this is a great product, a nice balance of design, function, and cost. The only real downside I've experienced thus far is the time it is taking me to get used to using the ballhead after almost 30 years of using an old Slik U212 tripod that has the old school functionality...highly advanced in its day, but no comparison to the Induro combination. After a couple of weeks of using the Induro tripod/ballhead combo I'm starting to get over some of the clumsiness I experienced early on and actually enjoy discovering the new functionality of this system. I highly recommend the BDH2 ballhead.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Now THAT's a ballmount !!, July 31, 2011
This review is from: Induro BHD2 Ballhead 39.6lb Load Capacity (Electronics)
At first, I thought I'd have to buy the largest size (the Induro BHD3)to get something substantial/good as the reallyrightstuff or other brands - all of which seemed far more expensive to me. I've been a manufacturing engineer for twenty two years, and I know what it costs to make things... enough to know that a rock-solid ball-head should not cost more than $250... even if made in the USA.

I've owned Manfrottos mounts - they're great, and they have a cold feel that can only mean thick cast metal. And although this mount is light, and obviously made of sheet metal (i.e. the 2" ball is hollow) the grip is absolutely firm... you cannot move the camera period !!.

Also - the slightly smaller base diameter fits perfectly on a full-size tripod... it looks like it was just meant to be exactly there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do the research...then buy this, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Induro BHD2 Ballhead 39.6lb Load Capacity (Electronics)
This was my first "real" ballhead...of significant quality. I spent hours looking at tripods and bullheads and finally decided on this Induro for my Gitzo GT 2531. I couldn't be more pleased. Once I realized this model already came with the quick release plate that almost all others make you purchase separately, I was sold. The quality is great and it is apparently built on the gold standard, the Arca-Swiss style. I am by no means a pro, but I am sure that this will be more than enough for what I need. It solidly holds my Canon 7D and 70-300mm lens (without the lens ring). I set the stance on my tripod wider, but the bullhead does its job nicely. It was larger than I expected, but not cumbersome. The added weight is actually welcome on my very light tripod.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but heavy, August 7, 2013
This review is from: Induro BHD2 Ballhead 39.6lb Load Capacity (Electronics)
This is a very well made head at a very attractive price.

I would not use it for its rated load capacity. At about 20 lbs I had trouble keeping it from creep. It is fine for camera/lens combos of 10 lbs and under. Motion is quite smooth and the damping control is quite effective at those weights. Heavier weights take some work to make it manageable, but that's true of most ball heads. They like to flop to the side if you're not careful.

It uses Arca Swiss style plates, which you will find becoming your standard if you use multiple cameras, tripods and heads. Stay away from manufacturer-specific plates!

I keep this head on my less-portable tripod, but use an Arcatech head on my Gitzo Explorer as my standard for travel and field. The Arcatech is considerably more expensive but is easier to keep clean, is more versatile and lighter.

However, for the price, this is a very good ballhead that you'll get good use from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very solid ballhead. Well designed and manufactured., March 23, 2013
Warren Cartwright (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Induro BHD2 Ballhead 39.6lb Load Capacity (Electronics)
I had a Manfrotto ballhead that broke, and needed to replace it. I'm using it with a Canon 5D Mark II and a variety of lenses up to the L series 100-400mm zoom. The manufacturing tolerences and quality on this piece are excellent. It's well designed, feels very solid and all the adjustment mechanisms work very well. I really like the Arca Swiss-style quick release. It locks in tight, and I have no concern that the camera will come loose. It has a bit of weight to it, so if you have a smaller set-up, one of the other models might be a better choice. HIghly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb ballhead from Induro, May 16, 2012
The BHD3 ballhead from Induro is a solid mount. I have a Canon 5D Mk3 and this mount provides easy to use adjustments with excellent stability. The tension control has a good feel with adequate range for fine tension adjustment. Other adjustments are quick and easy. The camera can be moved into portrait mode with ease. The BHD3 mount weighs 1 kg and can take a load of 25 kg. It goes well with the Induro AT413 tripod.

Induro BHD2 Ballhead 39.6lb Load Capacity