4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well - Recommended!
We found the Apple Peeler on sale at a home store and bought it on an impulse. My expectations were fairly low and I am happy to say that it performed way better than it looked like it was going to. The only real issue is with the very poor instructions, so some trial and error testing was needed.

The keys to getting good results are:

1) Use...
Published on October 15, 2009 by C. Hill

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst of the imitations.
About a year ago I purchased two of these devices from another company (also listed on Amazon) and was extremely pleased.

They are solidly built and do exactly as promised. A truly good value for less money than several of the imitations (also sold on Amazon).

Published on September 16, 2012 by AZCoyote

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well - Recommended!, October 15, 2009
This review is from: R & M Industries 5920 Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer, Red (Kitchen)

The keys to getting good results are:

1) Use symmetrical Apples or Potatoes
2) The firmer the better
3) Take time align the Apple so the core can be cleanly removed

Setting the contraption up is very easy. The base firmly attaches to most flat surfaces via a suction cup, which is nice because it can be positioned over our sink to catch the peels.

We love how quickly this peels and cores a lot of apples! Our kids also got a kick out of using it, so that was a big plus as well.

Recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst of the imitations., September 16, 2012

My kids and grandkids love them. I think every apple, potato and anything else remotely similar was peeled and sliced within 6 hours of opening the box. Caution: It didn't work well with bananas.

I wanted to give another daughter one and was too hasty in ordering. I was faked out by the color, box and description.

The 'good' ones are cast metal, solidly built with decent machining and finish. I expect them to be hand me downs for at least a couple of generations.

The imitations are much lighter, substitute stamped metal parts for the cast metal and have poor fit and finish. The only things they copied well are the general shape / design, color, box and description.

Amazon evidently doesn't want me to point out the item I have now purchased 5 of but if you carefully compare the weights you can make a good call.

These are truly family fun and lead to apple slices for lunch boxes or snacks, apple pie, dried apples, apple brown betty and numerous other treats. Your family will love it. Just avoid this company's product.

5.0 out of 5 stars great item, October 28, 2008
The apple peeler, corer, slicer is the best gadget ever. it does a fantastic job of peeling, coring and makes the most uniform slices ever for pies, dehydrating, whatever you may need sliced apples for. I am extremely happy with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple peeler /Corer/Slicer, December 24, 2008
I was very happy with this product. I used it as soon as I got it to make an Apple Dapple cake. It worked wonderfully and only took me about 3 minutes to peel slice and core 4 apples! I would recommend it highly!

1.0 out of 5 stars BE CAREFUL!!, February 1, 2012
The long bar part that turns while you are peeling/slicing & coring your apples is coated in a silver plastic material so it slowly comes off and falls onto your apples--this is not good because you can end up consuming this. I am going to a kitchen utensil store to purchase one that is made of a solid material and not coated in silver plastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Very Well! :), July 5, 2010
I decided to get this device after reading all the reviews - the price was within my budget and I felt comfortable spending under $20 for my first appler corer/peeler/slicer. Well, I'm glad I got this baby!

Pro:
-multi-purposes: slice OR peel OR core/peel/slice
-works fast!
-easy to clean (I just rinse it under the sink with the faucet hose and pat dry as much as I can with a towel)
-light weight
-small; easy storage

Con:
-be consistent with the amount of pressure you use to turn the handle. I noticed I used less pressure when I spaced out on my 20th apple and the cuts came out slightly thicker. This might not matter for some, but I try to keep my fruit slices the same thickness b/c I'm dehydrating them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with performance, May 24, 2009
I was really disappointed with this product. Yes, it does peel, core and slice, but after cutting about 60 apples, not one has been perfect. The directions are vague at best and there's no tips or troubleshooting included. The corer is always off centered so after you have peeled, cored and sliced your apple, you still have to go through and remove seed chips left behind if you don't want those in your desserts. The core is not the easiest to remove from this device.

The box indicated that you can also use it for potatoes. There are no directions that tell you if you can peel and slice without removing a chunk of core. I used it to spiral potatoes that my kids loved, but was left with a lot of potato cores that could have just been sliced with the rest of the potato.

I don't think it was worth the money and I would not recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars even after 90+ lbs of apples - still goin' strong, December 2, 2010
This apple peeler corer slicer met and actually exceeded my expectations for quality and durable construction. While it would be nice to have another shaft option for thicker slices if needed, but this worked well for me anyway... if you really need thicker slices, you can still use this for the peeling part of it just with the corer/slicer bit off. I processed 90 lbs of apples... for applesauce and pies... my 4 and 5 year old kids helped too - they love turning the crank!

4.0 out of 5 stars Peeler, Corer, Slicer, November 19, 2010
My daughter and grandchildren (ages 3 and 6) have a prolific apple tree. I was fascinated watching these little ones industriously cranking out peeled, cored and sliced apples to make apple sauce...just too cute and they felt "so important" (and were to the process). I do not have an apple tree but I do make apple pies and a lot of dishes that require peeling massive amounts of potatoes (don't ask, we're Norwegian and have hundreds of ways of eating and using potatoes!)Seeing what fun my grandchildren were having I decided that I needed this toy also.
It works fine and whisked through the eight apples that I needed to make a recipe for a "new" apple pie in a minute or two. One caveat: use small firm apples (Granny Smith's worked perfectly). The most "time consuming" part of the process is removing the apple core from the prongs after the little machine has whipped through the rest of the process. However considering how much time I saved in peeling, coring and slicing not a big deal and the caramelized apple pie was perfect! make pie crust, cut up 8 apples, melt 1/2C unsalted butter in a sauce pan, stir in 3T flour to form a paste, add 1/2C white sugar, 1/2C brown sugar and 1/4C apple juice. Bring it to a boil turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Use a 9" pie tin, roll out bottom crust, add sliced apples, roll out a second crust to make a lattice pie crust to
cover the apples and then gently pour the caramelized sugar and butter mixture OVER the lattice and into the pie. Bake at 425 for 15 min and 350 for 35-45 min until golden. Put the pie tin on a cookie sheet with either a Silpat or parchment to catch any drips because this pie just oozes good apple flavor and caramel. YUMMY!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money on this thing, August 21, 2010
I just tried this machine out. It's cheaply made. The slicer/corer blade is very poor. Apples get stuck after about 1" into the slicer/corer. Any further rotation of the screw results in the peeler peeling the apple all the way down to the core. We have a good machine already, this was purchased as a backup. It's going back to Amazon, for a refund. I will buy a more expensive, better built machine.

R & M Industries 5920 Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer, Red