on March 30, 2011
My wife has one of the super expensive carriers... and it's covered in flowers and butterflies and wonderful baby colors. To put it simply I hate it. Yes, I know, I shouldn't care how it looks... but c'mon, can you blame me for being less than thrilled in walking around in something that looks like it was borrowed from Tinker Bell? With our vacation fast approaching I found this carrier and decided for the price (and good reviews) I would give it a shot...

Pros:

-I'm happy to be seen in public wearing this carrier.
-It bears repeating... the price!
-Compact, it folds up really small and can be kept conveniently in the car, or in my case in our umbrella stroller which actually folds up with this carrier in it.
-Dual facing positions... since it was a vacation, I was hoping our daughter could see out.
-With the side clips, it's easy to get baby in and out of the carrier.

Cons:

-In my opinion, this carrier is best when only used in short durations. After 30-40 minutes tops, it's time for her to come out for several reasons: 1) Longer than that and I think the way she is positioned, especially in the outward looking set up, doesn't support her weight as evenly as you might hope and she starts to get uncomfortable. 2) Not the best strap set up. Longer use bothered my back. I could carry her in my arms longer without that happening. The straps adjust, so not sure I'm ready to say being 6'2" was the problem, but if others that aren't as tall don't have the back complaint, then maybe I'd chalk it up to that. 3) Granted we were in Florida, but she got very hot in the carrier. I would get her out of there just to air her out.

Overall:

There were several 5 star reviews for this carrier, and for the price, it's hard not to love. That said, if something is a great price doesn't really matter to the baby. I don't regret the purchase and I think the carrier is quite useful, but for me, this will just be for short time periods. A quick run to the store, or in conjunction with the stroller on a trip. From my experience, I would not recommend this carrier if you were thinking you were going to just keep your baby in it for long periods of time... say the duration of a Disney trip or similar. That said, for this price and for specific needs, this carrier works well and I'll get my share of use out of it.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 22, 2012
This is a very poorly designed baby carrier that's uncomfortable for the wearer and bad for the baby.

This carrier is very uncomfortable for the person wearing it because all of the babies weight is pulling down on the wearers shoulders. When looking for a baby carrier you should look for one with a waist belt which will help to distribute some of the babies weight to the wearers hips. Carriers with waist belts are much more comfortable for the wearer (this is why hiking backpacks have waist belts).

The carrier is bad for the baby because all of the babies weight is on their crotch and their legs are held close together with their hips and knees straight which is bad for hip development. According to the International Hip Dysplasia Institute this is the most unhealthy position for the hips during infancy and can cause or contribute to the development of hip dysplasia or dislocation. The healthiest position for the babies hips is to have the baby in a seated position with their legs spread and their thighs supported.

If you want to stick with the Infantino brand the Union or Balance carriers would be much better options. They have a waist belt to help distribute the babies weight and also hold the baby in the optimal position for hip development. The Infantino Sash and Infantino Ecosash are also good options although these carriers tie instead of buckling.

Even better options would be the Beco Butterly, The Beco Gemini, the Ergo (original, organic, options, sport, and performance), the Boba (original, 2G, and 3G), or the Babyhawk Oh Snap. These are all high quality carriers that are very comfortable and safe for both baby and wearer.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2010
I got mine cheaper at Target, but this is an amazing carrier! I've tried numerous slings and wraps before this one and found them to be too warm, too difficult to use, uncomfortable for myself or the baby, or incredibly expensive. This one is perfect. Very comfortable, reasonably priced, attractive, and my baby loves it. We walked around the museum today for 2 hours and were both very happy. It was our first time using it and we got it adjusted in under a minute. Stopped twice in the museum to breastfeed and found it very easy to get the baby in and out. Straps can be loosened or tightened with one hand. Definitely not one of those items where "you get what you pay for." Wish this had been available 2 years ago! GET IT! You'll love it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 4, 2011
i live in india.I went to houston for a training purpose and my wife asked me to bring a carrier for our 6month old baby.i brought this and bring it to india.from the first day he just loved it.it is very comfortable for him n he feels secure.
review image
on June 16, 2011
I bought this originally to use in the airport while traveling by myself a the baby. It worked great. For the price, it surprised me how comfortable it was.
I now use to to grocery shop. I can carry my 20 pound baby around for 2 hours with no problems.
on June 2, 2012
Our daughter loves being carried around in this. She holds her head up very well, and will help dad vacuum, or me do the dishes. You can't do a lot of bending in this, but that is ok. My only real complaint is that when my husband is carrying her in it, we need to put some kind of pad between him and her head, otherwise his chest and her head rub a little too much.
review image review image
on January 20, 2011
My husband and I wanted a carrier that our 3 1/2 month old daughter could face in or out in. I had seen this carrier at Walmart, and decided to read some reviews on it here. It was a bit cheaper on Amazon than at the store, and the reviews were good. Literally while I was reading about it, I received an Amazon Mom $10 coupon in the mail, which made the carrier about $3, so I decided there was no reason NOT to order it!
The verdict is that we (my daughter and I, both) love this carrier! She has been in it in both positions, and was happy both times. Currently, she is napping in it, facing me. This is very possibly the first real nap she's ever taken in a baby carrier...she never seemed happy and comfortable enough in other ones to really nap.
This carrier is very padded and secure. It is very easy to adjust the size for both of us, and it doesn't feel like she would tip out of it. I love the way it comes up to support her head when she is facing me.
on August 26, 2011
I put this carrier on our baby registry because it seemed simpler to use than many of the wraps and slings for newborns, and it's quite inexpensive, too. As it turns out, the carrier is super-easy to use, just as I'd hoped - there's no wondering (as there is with some wraps) how to get the thing on or if it's on right. However, after our baby arrived, I found that the ease of wearing this product was of little value to me at the outset, since I couldn't use the carrier at all at first. This product can't carry a newborn in any position in which he will feel comfortable - most newborns don't like to have their legs stretched out like this carrier requires. Our baby fussed and cried the whole time he was in the carrier when we first tried it. In terms of the positions in which this carrier can hold a baby, it's more suitable for when the baby is a few months old.

Once our baby was comfortable not having his legs tucked in, I was excited to use the carrier, but at that point, he was 15+ pounds, and I found out I still couldn't really use it - he had become too heavy to comfortably carry in this product, as it distributes all the weight on the shoulders and upper back. I have a pretty strong back - I did deadlifts through the second trimester of pregnancy, and I never once had an aching back during my pregnancy. Pregnancy couldn't hurt my back, but this carrier kills it! I couldn't stand to wear my baby for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. Even the wraps tend to do a better job distributing the baby's weight.

Since I couldn't use the product at any stage of my baby's development, I don't think the product is worth even its modest cost.

Even if you can stand the back-killing engineering of this carrier, I'd discourage using it, since (as I found out after the fact), carriers where the baby basically hangs by his crotch aren't good for the baby - carrying the baby in this position can potentially cause hip dysplasia. To avoid this risk, it's better to have a carrier that has some kind of seat pocket, that holds the baby so that his knees are about level with his hips.

If you want to wear your baby, you're better off putting in a little time to figure out how to use a wrap when he or she is still a newborn and spending the money for a good ergonomically supportive carrier, comfortable for both baby and parent, for when your baby is a bit bigger. If you're looking for something to carry your newborn in, try the Moby, a Slingling, or maybe the Ergo with infant insert. Even I was finally able to figure out how to use my Moby and like it now! The Slingling may also be an option if you want something really simple to use, though it's not quite as comfy as the other two options. I'd recommend an Ergo or Beco starting when baby is 4-6 months old.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 10, 2013
At the first glance i thought this was the perfect carrier for my baby. When i saw it compared to many other products which are way more expensive. The reason i bought it was because it's a cross. I had a bad experience with a regular one before.

I got it when my son was around 4 month, he was already facing out. Here's a list of draw back that I've started seeing after a while.

- The part that's supposed to support your baby's head when facing inside, doesn't really flip for more than 30 secs when ur baby is facing outside. I had to stick it with the pacifier holder so it won't come back and block the view for my baby.

- The back support wasn't that good, i tried different setups. each time i end up with a hurting back even for short walks, 15 mins or so. For longer walks it leaves dark marks on my shoulders !!!
FYI, i go to the gym regular, so i can say that i'm in a fit state.

- Of-course this was advertised, it doesn't support behind your back position.

- And they've a very short return window, by the time i started taking my baby out more and realized all the painful issues the return window was closed.

- By the time my baby was 8-9 month, he could barely fit into the carrier. I think they should label it with the proper age\weight range. Or explain to the product designer that babies grow fast.

Initially, i was excited as it had a good average rating. It have worked pretty well for others, they have just used it for the first couple of months. My advise to you don't waste your money on this because it's cheap. I'd recommend that you invest more into getting a more decent carrier that works for all purpose and for a wider range of size and weight.
on August 22, 2011
My little boy likes to be held all of the time. He started to fit this carrier at about 7.5 pounds. It's recommended for 8 pounds or above, but I needed something to help hold him while I did stuff around the house. I've been able to nurse him on both sides while he's facing towards me. He has been able to sleep in this carrier while facing towards me and facing away. (I've uploaded a picture of him sleeping while facing out.) When he got to be about 9.5 pounds, he wanted to face out to see the world. His head control was good enough by then, so I turned him around and flipped the front tab down. He could stay in the carrier for about an hour and be content looking around or sleeping while I did stuff. He's now 11 pounds and still quite comfortable on my back. I imagine that when he gets to be 16 pounds, he'll be too heavy for me, since there's no waist/hip support for me.

I also have a Moby carrier and have tried a Mayan sling. The sling didn't let him see much other than my chin, and he fussed during the 5 minute trial. The Moby "seat" was to wide for him, even when he was 8.5 pounds (Moby's recommended for 8 pounds +). When he sits down in the gathered fabric, his legs are spread too wide and he's uncomfortable. I've found that the wide leg spread is common to many carriers, especially the fabric-based ones. This sling has one of the narrowest seats I've seen. My baby's legs can dangle and wiggle, which he enjoys.

I feel very confident that it's safe, and there's no way he can fall out or suffocate. It's well padded and very comfortable for him and for me. The very thin bib is removable and washable, but I recommended using your own drool bib, since the one included is just one layer of broadcloth. This carrier will probably be useful for another month and a half, which gives it a 3 month lifespan. For $15, it's a steal. It's very well made and could easily be sold for twice the amount.
review image