Infantino Twist and Fold Activity Gym, Vintage Boy
Style: Vintage BoyChange
Price:$36.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 6, 2012
I bought the "boy" version of the gym for my three-month-old girl because I needed a second gym that will be easy to transport when we are visiting family etc. My daughter LOVES it and it became our primary gym. If you are OK with the minor cons described below, this is the best deal around.

PROS
- My baby loved playing in it, the colors are wonderful and the toys are cute. She played in it till she was 4.5 months and then continued to play with the toys separately from the gym. It really helped her learn to roll over from her back to the tummy
- Some people complain about the quality but I see no problems. Maybe they had defective models? The surface mat is thick and pleasant, I washed it according to the instructions and it is just fine.
- Easy to assemble. Takes a minute of your time and is sturdy.
- Compared to other models -- very compact when folded. I could take it with me when we go to a place she needs to spend an day with me outside home.
- Lots of ways to hang the toys, two levels, and rings that allow you to hand other toys as well
- Non breakable mirror included
- It is both a pro and a con -- the mat is small (exactly as depicted in the pictures). So if you want something compact for your tiny living room it is perfect. I have no troubles with this.

CONS (in the order I personally consider it as a problem):
- You can wrap the mat around the toys and secure it with the strap. This is a great idea, but for some reason they designed it such that you must wrap the mat such that the upper side of the mat faces OUT -- to the dirt etc, while the side that lies on the floor will face the toys! When I want to transport the gym, I end up wrapping the whole thing in another blanket to protect the mat from the outside world,and place the mat on this blanket so that the bottom side of the mat does not get dirty and then touch the toys when I pack it again.
- It is not as compact as it appears from the picture that shows it folded. I took it with us when we had to stay over night outside home, but would not bring it with me for just an hour at friends, for example.
- The rings design is hard to disassemble. So it takes a few extra minutes to hang or change the position of the toys. A bit annoying.
- The faces of the animals appear only on one side. It is more realistic this way, but if you hang the toy the wrong way (or re-position the baby) the infant cannot see the faces.
- It does not have a musical element but I am personally totally fine with this. Just to let you know -- no musical giraffes as some reviews sate. Nothing on batteries etc.
- The mirror is a non-breakable, bending reflective surface. So the reflection is has an effect of a carnival mirror. But it is safe and still fun.
- The gym arrived without one piece (the pillow) and Amazon allowed me to choose between partial refund or return/exchange of the gym. When I called the company they said they are out of these pillows but said they can send a different pillow that would not match the set, because they are out of these pillows. So they have great customer service and Amazon have generous policy, I just wish they could pack it all together at the first place.
on November 13, 2009
I love the colors of the gym. I have twins, a boy and girl, and it seems to be right for both of them. I like that the gym arms fold closed just by twisting the button at the top. So I stick the whole thing in the corner of the closet at night. I like that the gym is roomy under the arms. The toys are cute too. My babies tolerate tummy time better when they are on the little pillow. Our home and furnishings are a mix of contemporary and sort of retro. And so this gym fits our personality. Also my son is a real spitter-upper. And I have already unbuckled the mat from the arms and washed it. The colors stayed bright and I just rebuckled the mat to the arms and we were all set again. It's a good buy.
on December 21, 2009
Used frequently by our infant, who really enjoys the hanging toys. The two positions for hanging toys is a plus as many other gyms we looked at only had one. The mirror is movable and works really well at the top for babies using the gym on their backs. Hanging from the sides works nicely when using the pillow for tummy time. The bottom matt has been washed according to directions many times and still looks new. Packs up easily and compactly for travel. Overall, really great activity gym.
on May 4, 2011
I purchased this play mat for my 2 month old and she LOVES it! The toys provided are great, she loves them all! The birds make a chirping noise(and a crinkly noise), the monkey makes a funny noise and the lion and elephant are rattles.

You can easily put any hanging toy you want on this play mat. You can hang them high or low. You can take the "canopy" off and just use the mat too. It all folds up for easy storage and travel. Although, the mirror and pillow have no specific place when it is closed up....I just attach the mirror at the very top and tuck the pillow in once it's closed.

I have not washed this yet, but it is made of a great material that wiped up easily.

This item was just what I wanted and my daughter loves it! And it was cheaper than most!
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2011
There are dozens of gyms out there, and I read tons of reviews before picking this one. My criteria was to have one which had toys that are soft and not plastic, so I wouldn't be worried about my baby hitting them, or them dropping on the baby. I also wanted the biggest mat out there, so baby would be able to use it for a long time, and one that was affordable and reasonable in price.

This gym's mat is huge, and it is really eye-catching and adorable. The toys are soft stuffed animals, and really cute. 2 of them rattle and 1 is a squeaker and one plays birds chirping, which is really unique, although you have to press it to make it work (too high up for baby, and he has to press too hard). There is also a nice big mirror. You can also attach other toys to the gym. It has a tummy time pillow but it is too small, I use it to prop up my baby's head instead. My baby loves this gym and goes crazy when he's playing on it.

I haven't tried washing it or closing it back up again so can't comment on that.
on March 30, 2014
We LOVE this. Our home basically looks like it belongs to the baby and he lets us stay here. I love that we can collapse it at the end of the day and reclaim a few feet of adult space.

My fave things about it:
-It collapses and opens easily enough to do it one handed if you're holding your baby.
-It's super easy to pull apart for washing
-You can buy different toys to hang (in packs of 3). We like to rotate the toys out so our baby doesn't get bored.
-We can travel easily with it because it folds up and secures with velcro

We learned quickly that if we put the baby down in it at a diagonal so his feet could kick the base of one of the arches he could shake his own toys. Then we'd just helicopter him around each corner when he started to get bored with the view. So by the time our baby was about 5 weeks old he could entertain himself under this for a good 15 minutes at a time. Now, at 12 weeks, he'll hang out playing with the toys for a half hour or longer. We hang the toys at the high setting when he's laying in it and move them to the low setting (attaching the mirror to the base of one of the arches) to do tummy time. Works like a charm!
review image
on September 1, 2012
I only added a gym to my registry on a lark, I kept wondering if I really needed it. I'm so glad to have it, my daughter spends plenty of time "working out" on this bad boy. I love that it's not PINK!!!!!!!!!!!

Update, at around 6 months my daughter began to lose interest in the gym, but I have to say she REALLY LOVED it for those first six months, the monkey toy was always her favorite to touch and bat around from the begining. She also sometimes would grasp the "bars" and use them to push her body around in a few early attempts at rolling. When she "got going" on this gym, she really went to town, you could see the whole gym shaking and the baby laughing in delight. Ah well, all things come to an end. Close to six months she just wanted to stand and bounce, not lay in the gym, she's now in one of these and loving it : Bright Starts Bounce Bounce Baby Activity Zone
review image review image
on December 17, 2010
I put this gym on our registry for its aesthetics, assuming that all gyms were pretty much the same. It is indeed gorgeous and I'm very happy with it in that regard. It will certainly do the job, but I am not as happy with it as I was with the Gyminis I had for my older children.

The biggest issue that I have with it is that it won't travel well. It collapses into a cumbersome size that is nice for sticking in a corner of the room when not in use, but the Gymnini folded flat in half and came in a handled bag that made taking it over to friends' and relatives' easy. My other main problem with it is the way that the toys are attached; the rings are hook-and-eye that go into small fabric loops on both the gym and the toys and are not terribly convenient to move around. The Gymini has rings with slot openings and large, riveted holes in the arches to put them in. I have mostly fixed this by using rings from another company and recommend doing so... babies get bored with the same old set up, so gyms that are easy to switch around are a plus.

My only other complaint is that the mirror is one of the new fun-house kinds that are standard with most baby toys. I understand that we shouldn't give babies glass mirrors for safety, but there used to be more on the market that were stiff and reflected proper images, now flimsy sheets seem to be all that you can find.

Our son has yet to show any real interest in anything but the musical giraffe and even that only keeps his attention for a minute or 2, but he's only 8 weeks old and all babies are different as far as what kinds of toys they will like, so I won't discredit the product for his lack of interest.
on November 26, 2012
We received this as a shower gift. Super cute and not obnoxious like a lot of others. I thought i would love it However, 2 times the twist lock became unlocked and snapped really hard while over the baby. I returned it immediately. I'm sure this was just a fluke and others could be ok, but why risk it? it doesn't really fold up smaller than other models anyway so I don't get the benefit.
on June 26, 2010
Right out of the box, the Twist and Fold Activity Gym was super simple to put together. It came in just a few pieces and I had it together in around three minutes. The colors are what struck me the most. It looks like a beautiful quilt that your grandma would make, no kidding. It has an expensive look for an affordable price.

While this product is for smaller babies, newborns and up, my eighteen month old loved it. He wanted to play with each toy and check out each square. When I went to put it away, he cried. Even though he was too big to fit under the crossbars, he still enjoyed sitting up and playing with this. You can guarantee it will grow with your baby.

I think one of my absolute favorite things about the Twist & Fold Activity Gym (aside from the colors, which I really LOVE) is the fact that it is so easy to fold up for portability or to store. I would have never thought I could take an activity gym to the park or to Nana's house. With most gyms, you would have to disassemble them and find a way to keep up with all of the pieces. With this one, you twist the top knob, and wrap it up. It really is that simple! There is nothing to take apart; all toys stay as they are and you don't have to worry about losing anything!

Overall, I think this is a wonderful product. The material is easy to clean, the colors are gorgeous, the characters are so cute, and it is portable! I can say that without a doubt after reviewing this that I would buy it in a heartbeat. I just can't wait to have a newborn under it. Can't you just imagine the pictures?

I am a participant in a Mom Central campaign for Infantino and have received various Infantino products to as part of my participation.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations