5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite Vision is so much more than a business case..., October 22, 2011
This review is from: Infinite Vision: How Aravind Became the World's Greatest Business Case for Compassion (BK Business) (Paperback)
When Pavithra first produced and brought to the world her acclaimed documentary film, Infinite Vision, I was stunned with the quality and emotional impact that the film brought forth. The depth of scholarship, insight, and pure inspiration that Pavithra and Suchitra have provided in this new book with the same title is stunning. If you pick up this book to read a business case for an extraordinary organization, good for you, but you will miss 90% of what this inspirational work is about. Transformation is about a shift in mindset. To simply take the work and try to duplicate it is bound to be frustrating. The mindset of Dr. V is what the profound lesson is about to me. That mindset created the culture which allowed the current Aravind to emerge. It was not planned and controlled into existence, it emerged from the will of those who envisioned it. What is the core to a culture of innovation? What mindsets are critical to its emergence? This book is inspirational and can provide the foundation for transformative conversations that have the opportunity to create social justice in our world. Embrace this book, internalize it, and create the conversations that can heal our world. This book has that spirit within it. Not many do. I highly recommend Infinite Vision and suggest that it be offered to anyone interested in creating a better world. Can one person make a difference in this world? From what I have seen, the resounding answer is yes. If each of us takes this challenge, there is no doubt in my mind that we can make it happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Can All Have INFINITE VISION, November 2, 2011
Don't miss this book, Infinite Vision. It's about one person, "Dr. V.," who revolutionized healthcare for those who cannot see. But it's equally about us, about everyone. It's about our creativity when we don't set limits. And about how it can spread, even globally. It is about our higher potential. <Also see [...] Saybrook University, where we teach about everyday creativity.>

If you ever had cataract surgery, take note. You know what it is like; seeing or not seeing can change everything. In India, some have used a derogatory term for a blind elder, "a mouth without hands." Can you imagine?

Infinite Vision tells how Dr. V helped reverse this tragedy. The book is personal and inspiring, and it also gives operational details and a recipe for success. Dr. V, Dr. Govindappa Venkataswamy, a surgeon in South India, began, as a post-retirement project, what became the largest eye surgery operation in the world. And where a great many needy people now get eye surgery for free. His is a required case study for Harvard Business School, has been honored by Bill Gates (Award for Global Health) and many others. His Aravind organization has attracted visitors, promoters and collaborators from Seva Foundation to the International Lions Club, from Dr. Brilliant to Ram Dass to Wavy Gravy. Why? Here's a goodhearted doc moving from a clinic for 11 people to a massive medical movement which has brought hope to the 12 million blind people in India. A movement now spreading around the world. And a man who said, whose stated goal in life was, "to give sight for all." Now Aravind, is doing just that! Here is the story.

The recipe: Good person, hard times, a crippling arthritis that changed his career goals, a fundamental desire to help others. Deep spiritual roots, Sri Aurobindo and the Mother, in Pondicherry, India, astonishing spiritual leaders. And let it be said, with all respect, that this could also have been another of the World's Great Wisdom Traditions. Here, to be sure, is our True Vision. Our True Creativity.

And an ability to reach out. To involve others. To collaborate, to share and learn--and this includes sharing with groups that might be called "competitors" in other settings. Instead we learn to thrive together. To have a new bottom line of compassion and love, not profit or loss. Yet to find a greater monetary profit in this approach than in that of the so-called competition.

Dr. V never married nor had a family. Yet a fascinating side note is that a full 21, yes twenty-one, of his relatives have now become opthalmologists! And all are helping. Talk about family spirit (and the human spirit).

Best of all--and this is sometimes hard for us Westerners to believe--here is the Gift Economy. This is what can happen when we move from grasping and getting to caring and giving. Those folks weren't fooling in the Bible (or elsewhere) when they said that we who give will receive in turn. (Actually, we may also live longer as well--which is another interesting story! Here is a new world view we need badly today.

As Dr. V. said, "When we grow in spiritual consciousness, we identify with all that is in the world...It is ourselves we are helping....ourselves we are healing."
Is InfiniteVision a religious tract? Not at all; it is a business plan--one set in an engaging personal story. But a business plan with a different bottom line, a different way of operating. A different way of living. No wonder Harvard Business School took note. And so should we.

Do buy this book, by all means! And also give it to your own doctor. I have done so myself. Let me dedicate this review to my ophthalmologist and cataract surgeon, Gary Aguilar, M.D., in San Francisco, who has volunteered his services each summer, in places including Guatemala, Peru, and China, to help people who could never see otherwise. Whose lives have been changed. He too is part of this story. What a gift. What a role model. May each of us, in turn, help this influence to spread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend this book more highly, November 14, 2011
This isn't the kind of book you read, it's the kind of book that reads you.

It's like stepping into a chariot and being whisked away to magical places where unimaginable extraordinary things are possible. Except...

...The magical places are right here and they're happening right now. They are not a result of genies in lamps or the wands of wizards, but by people who's only special power is unconditional love.

I started this book one day and finished it the next. When i was done, i felt everything inside of me bigger than before: my heart, my hope, my belief in people, and that anything's possible. Reading this book taught me as much about myself as the men and women about whom it's written. I grew a deeper understanding for the joy of selfless giving, a yearning to contribute, and confidence in my own ability to serve.

Reading this book is superfood for the soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Transformative Experience, December 8, 2011
This is the best description I have ever read of the magic that created the Aravind Eye Care System. It came out of the remarkable clarity of one man-Govinda Venkataswamy-"Dr.V." who saw how to connect treatment of blindness in the rich with the cure of blindness in the poor in an ever growing, self sustaining system. That powerful clarity made it possible for all to understand and support it. It caused many of DR. V's family to dedicate their lives to this effort. Hundreds of doctors, scientists, administrators and people of every diverse talent volunteered their services. With this flowing narrative Pavi Mehta and Suchi Shenoi let us experience Dr. V's vision and make it our own. Richard L. Litwin MD

5.0 out of 5 stars A Shining, Remarkable, True Story, November 16, 2011
In trying to understand the world and make it a better place, I have been seeking to find some basic, universal principles. Infinite Vision seemed a likely place to find those nuggets of wisdom and insights that I was looking for. I was not disappointed. It is a truly epic story grounded in the experiences of Dr. V, his family and the clinic, hospitals, outreach he catalyzed and called Aravind, which has cured and prevented the calamity of blindness in India, and other countries throughout the world, touching the lives of millions. At his core, Dr. V was a very spiritual person who sought to do his own inner work and simultaneously the outer work of tackling one of the major preventable causes of human suffering. His accomplishments seem miraculous, but they also can be seen as embodying some of the basic principles of life and spirit, that when you serve others and the greater good, the Universe will conspire to assist you. There are many lessons to be learned from this story. It is vividly written with a wealth of details clearly illuminating the humanity and complexities of Dr. V and his family and the struggles that they faced inwardly and outwardly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rare Blend of Powerful Story and Masterful Story-telling, November 13, 2011
A book like this comes along once in a long time. It artfully weaves a thread through one man's vision, which expands into the work of a family, develops into an "impossible" organization, and blossoms into a movement that goes beyond eyecare.

It's called one of the greatest stories in medicine, but it's more than that. One of the top design firms in the world, IDEO, finds its design philosophy natively expressed there, and yet, it's more than a paragon of innovation. Every Harvard MBA studies a business case on it, but it's more, even, than a model social enterprise.

It is an inspired-and-inspiring story about the human spirit, and what is possible for any of us when we train our minds, tune our hearts, and marry our own quest for self-evolution with a wish to be of real service.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Intelligent and Superb Read, November 11, 2011
Anandi Sujeer (Cupertino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Infinite Vision is an 'eye-opener' to many of us who are 'blind' to the situations of the less fortunate around us. Dr. V was a noble soul who did 'see' and did feel and act on it.

Apart from the story, the way in which both Pavithra and Suchitra have written the book is superbly intelligent and makes for non-stop-reading.

My seven-year old grand-daughter, Siya, was moved by the story - she too is reading it. Her thoughts so far:
'Dr. V worked very hard and took care of the sick and the poor'
'Aravind will be there, rain or shine'
'He had power in his heart'

- Written by Anuradha Shenoi, posted by Anandi Sujeer

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the World of Words... :-), November 8, 2011
Most times it is impossible to put into words the essence and meaning of love. This is one of those times. Poetry, the science of the soul, gets closer. So this review is in the form of blessings and a poem:

May the infinite vision of Dr. V, transmitted by the sensitive hearts of sisters Pavi and Suchitra, illuminate the souls of all the people in the Earth Community.

May we all embody the Total (R)evolution of the Human Spirit as Dr. V did.

May the people read between the lines of these great work and start acting according to our cosmic age: ~14 billion years.

May all become compassionate, courageous and wise.

INFINITE VISION
For many life times
many laps around the Sun
I guarded the star of my soul
but now in this Galaxy of startling rays
I lost track of which is mine...

I see you everywhere, beloved angel
I feel you everywhere, beloved one
the years grow shorter

the night sky is packed with stars
this society is a blind being
zigzagging on the road
but whoever feels Your Love
and tries Your Food
sees beyond the stars and beyond the blind being.

Great souls walk among us.
How does the crowd miss his bright smile?
How does the other crowd miss her shining eyes?

To honor the Milky Way is to honor your face.
Honor, the Atmosphere. What we say, a little grain of pollen.

So the air-journey goes on, and who knows where!
Just to be held by the Air
is the best luck we could have.
It's a total waking up!

Why should we grief that we've been sleeping?
It doesn't matter how long we've been unconscious.

Feel the motions of tenderness
around you, the buoyancy
the possibility of pollination
caught in this
majestic wind of the Cosmos.

Love is my only companion
Love is the sights of the soul
the infinite vision
that fuels the motion of our hearts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirituality AND Social Enterprise Results!, November 26, 2011
I had the privilege several years ago of visiting the Aravind Eye Hospital and its associated manufacturing social enterprise, Aurolab. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to meet the justly famous founder, Dr. V, who had passed soon before my visit. However, I was able to experience the generosity of spirit and the incredible focus on results, to cure "reversible blindness." It's a truly amazing place, one of the most respected social enterprises in the world.

However, Mehta and Shenoy's book gives you far more insights into Dr. V himself, the founding family of the Aravind phenomena, and the future of Aravind in a modernizing India than I was able to glean from a personal visit to Madurai, India! If you want to understand a different path to results, a compassionate commitment to bringing social good to the poor, and the ability to change the world for the better at scale, I can highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite Vision:How Aravind Became the World's Greatest Business Case for Compassion (Bk Business), December 8, 2011
This is a phenomenal book. It was well written, and told a engaging story of one man's impossible dream which became true beyond others' expectations. Dr V, the protagonist, essentially applied classic LEAN concepts before most people even knew what this was. He was truly a pioneer of LEAN and created the first and most successful application of LEAN to healthcare. Additionally, Dr V went beyond process efficiency to cultivate and grow a critical spirituality within the members of his organization. This spirituality produced an institution of such service excellence that it could be self sustaining even when serving all financial and social demographics.

$19.95 $14.77