Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

on May 26, 2010
While I feel INFINITY loses no value as a YA novel if you haven't read the Dark-Hunter novels, I am already entangled in the adult life of Nick as I'm an avid reader of said DH series. This is why perhaps my review probably will make more sense to those who are also familiar to this series.

When I heard Nick's back-story would be told in a Young Adult series I promised myself I would buy INFINITY and my reading experience would decide whether or not I would continue buying and reading this series. I'm not an avid reader of the YA genre and the only reason I bought INFINITY was because it was connected to the Dark-Hunter series and the fact that Nick is still one of my favorite characters. This was my mind-set before I understood that the Chronicles of Nick would also reveal secrets regarding characters such as Cherise and especially Jaden and Jared. It makes reading this chronicle more of a necessity if I want to understand the whole Dark-Hunter arc of Jaden.

When I received my copy of INFINITY my everlasting curiosity spurred me on to crack the spine and I began to read immediately. I met Nick as we got to know him in the early days of the Dark-Hunter series, only a bit younger. His mother, Cherise, is a stripper trying to make a living for herself and her son in New Orleans. She teaches him to be honorable, but when your peers know what your mother does for a living, and you have a shirt on your back with fishes in neon colors, it is hard to get by in high school. It is why Nick cloaks himself in a devil may care attitude and give lip the moment someone makes a snarky comment. However, the fairer sex also has his undivided attention and his desire to charm them is present at the core. Then one night he is invited to join a few friends for some delinquent activities and he almost crosses a barrier. It is also the night he got beat up by his so called friends and the night he is saved by Kyrian Hunter. From this moment on there is no normal anymore in Nick's life and it all begins with the choice he made that night. The first day he goes back to school zombies create havoc on the grounds...

Nick's vivid personality, his cunning ways and his acerbic sarcasm pulled me in and I was surprised at how the story development kept my unwavering attention. Nick is a teenager who knows the rough side of life, he has a chip on his shoulder, an attitude to match, he loves his mother above all and has a penchant for trouble. If that isn't all, he enters the world of Dark-Hunters, Were-Hunters and all things that go bump in the night. Even though Nick is a teenager in this series all the things I like and love about his persona are already present in this Chronicle starter.

The story begins from an uncomplicated angle where the focus lies on Nick's school life and his relationship with his mother. It is largely due to Sherrilyn Kenyon's way of writing and letting me be a part of Nick's inner thoughts that instantly grabbed my attention. Nevertheless, as the story progressed, as more characters got introduced and the plot thickens it loses some of that easy going charm and bantering dialogues. There were a few characters who I already met in the Dark-Hunter series like; Kyrian Hunter and Acheron but also the younger cast of characters is not without its familiar faces like Tad and Tabitha Deveraux. It really feels like traveling back in time and meeting all these characters only that much younger but with the same attitudes. Still, there is one new character who really got to me and that is Nekoda Kennedy, a.k.a Kody. She has an interest in Nick that is not all teenage lovey-dovey and it involves so much more than meets the eye. Kenyon also ups the ante with a few plot twists that really infuses this series with major possibilities for Nick's character development. It gives a new perspective for the future of Nick and one that really excites me. It was an element in this book that caught me by surprise, next to the well-paced flow of the story it was something that held my undivided attention. The dialogues between Acheron and Nick are some of the best in this book but I must admit, I got lots of snappy bantering and humorous dialogues between a multitude of characters like only Sherrilyn Kenyon can deliver.

Next to meeting all the characters, getting all sorts of titillating information about Nick, the great interaction and humor, it is the zombie plotline that was probably the least thing that interested me. It is the origin of how teenager's got turned in to zombies that was just lost to me and I just couldn't surrender myself to that fact, which was probably a glitch of the adult me. What it did do is provide a turn of events which introduced Nick to a whole new world, he finds out all sorts of background info on some of the golden boys at his school and even some of his friends. Bubba and Mark are probably some of the most prominent supportive characters whose view on life and fighting zombies will make you grin.

If young adult readers find themselves introduced to Kenyon's characters and world in INFINITY then I think they will have a blast. Nothing is present to really make the reader think they're missing something, everything is present; from a main character who alternates his humor, sarcasm and charm with also his teenage fears, confusions and hopes for the future. A plot arc that fascinates and many characters who add their own personality flavor. A huge entertainment factor for me was to meet characters like Nick, Acheron, Tabitha and Kyrian again but I was caught off guard by how the story kept me in its grip. I couldn't stop reading and while I started at night, you can bet by the next evening I was finished, already contemplating how things would advance in future installments.

INFINITY was the kind of story where I expected nothing but turned out to be a surprising and highly entertaining read. Some YA elements might not catch on with me but I feel that Sherrilyn Kenyon set-up a dynamic and intriguing angle to one of the most beloved characters in the Dark-Hunter series. I'm confident Nick will find its way to many readers, both in the YA genre as for the fans of the DH series.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2010
As a die-hard DH fan, I had SERIOUS trepidation about this book. I have to say the last few books that followed after Acheron up to now were painful reads. Painful and frustrating. So, when Kenyon decided to jump on the Twilight bandwagon with teen paranormal fiction/romance, I'd pretty much thrown in the towel. I honestly didn't think we could get a good story without hot Dark Hunters traversing the streets of Anytown, USA and I was furious with Kenyon for MONTHS over what I was sure was going to be a literary debacle.

Okay, I was wrong and I take it all back.

Firstly, for those of you moaning about "eww, it's YA", read the dang cover! Sherri has said for MONTHS this was teen fiction, so man up and deal with it. Blame yourself for not keeping up with the DH Universe.

Secondly, the book was flipping awesome. It was PURE Sherri from cover to cover. It has everyone in the DH Universe we all know and love plus some really new and interesting characters, too. THIS is what teen fiction should be, a nonstop roller-coaster ride with unexpected curves, dips and twists that keeps you turning pages. Though it's toned down for the teen audience, don't think that Sherri compromised on wit, humor, or action. It's all there. It's the old Sherri we know from before Acheron. (Not sure what happened to the books after that, but I'll forgive her anything because Infinity flippin' rocks!)

Thirdly, the CD set is narrated by Holter Graham. HOW MUCH BETTER CAN IT GET? I haven't been this happy over a DH book SINCE Acheron. Finally, some teen fiction that has soul, character development, humor. It doesn't take itself seriously like Twilight (die already!) or Vampire Academy. Infinity blows them ALL out of the water and I feel the DH fever again.

You proved me wrong, Sherri. I'm sorry I lost faith in you, but you came through, babe. You nailed it with Infinity!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2010
I have been reading Kenyon's work since the first DH book was released and something has happened-she just doesn't write fulfilling stories any more. Something is missing and it is almost like the books are written just to make money and readers are not a priority. Kenyon has a loyal fan base who will buy anything and everything she writes and rave about how great the book was. Truth be told Kenyon hasn't written a book worth reading since "Dark Side of the Moon" and that one wasn't an awesome read either. "Infinity" is just another book in a growing list of bad books written by Kenyon.

I pre-ordered this book as soon as it was available knowing it was written for a younger reader. I wasn't expecting "Infinity" to read like the DH series however I did expect it to be somewhat intelligent and well written- after all, Kenyon has always said that Nick had a special place in her heart and she wanted his story to be her best, blah blah blah. Nick must have pissed her off or something. I started reading "Infinity" last night and I have to say it was (for now at least) the worst book I have ever read and a total waste of time. I have no plans to finish reading it nor will I purchase any more books in the series-that's how bad I think it is.

For me the adult Nick is a more satisfying character and if the first book is an indication of future books in this series don't waste your money. Nick doesn't need an entire series. His younger life could easily have been written into his DH book (Sherrilyn says Nick's DH book will be released some time AFTER book 10 in the series so we will be waiting a long time)or it could have been written similar to Ash's book with the first section focusing on Ash's childhood and second section Ash as he is now.

Save your hard-earned money and skip this book. You'll be glad you did.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2010
What to say, what to say - its somewhat difficult to write a review for this book as it was neither good nor bad. I briefly considered buying this book in the store but vetoed it in favor of another and instead rented it from the library - I'm really glad I did. Reading some of the other reviews I discovered Nick is apparently from another series where he's older and maybe this is why some people really liked this book. Not just because it's a prequel of a favored character but that reading about him in other books has given him more depth than was shown in Infinity. I find it amusing that so many people were wary of reading a YA Fiction book and then came to the conclusion that this book was "above average" for the genre, because as a regular YA Fiction reader I can say that this was in fact below average. (What YA books have you been reading, if any?) The quick three or four page intro left me ready for a great ride, then the first forty pages of the book was decent, then during the middle I seriously considered leaving the book in favor of another and then it managed to get its act together for a good final sixty pages. The overall story is .... well its mostly about stopping zombies who have been turned by a video game. Yes. That is the story. DO NOT BE DECIEVED BY THE BOOK SUMMARY. And I have to say that as far as zombie plot lines go this was weaker than most. Nick's sarcasm with the exception of a few smile and chuckle worthy moments came out flat and trying to hard, and while the other characters have an interesting premise they were in no way developed. Whatsoever. I am 99.9% sure I already know who it is that is trying to alter Nick's future - this one of the great mysteries to be solved later on in the series. So in conclusion my thoughts on Infinity: "meh." Will I read the next one? Not sure. In any case it'll definitly be rented from the library.
on June 19, 2012
I have never read another novel by Sherrilyn Kenyon, and I will not continue to read her novels after this.

To start out with, the writing and dialogue is an insult to a person's intelligence. Kenyon's story contains adult content, such as Nick's mother being a stripper, but she then makes the characters who are teens talk like 4-year-olds. The acclaimed "sarcasm" of Nick and his friends are that of "snotwads," to steal one of the poorly chosen profanities in this novel. Even as a young adult, I was regularly annoyed with the name calling; it is a great example of lazy writing. I do not know what teenagers run around on the bad side of town and consistently call each other buttmunch, snotwad, loser dork, etc. At the age of 3, I could have came up with better insults, and I was raised in a Christian home.

Second, the story line did not make any sense. The idea of a kid in high school making a video game that could turn other people into zombies based on what he learned from his parents' dinner conversations is ridiculous. Then, there is the fact that Nick meets immortals and learns that there are powers outside of normal understanding, but later claims to a guy from school that he does not believe in anything other than zombies. Okay...was he not in Kyrian's house when Ash was flaunting his abilities a few hours before? Another part that does not make sense is how Nick remains calm every time something unusual happens. He gets attacked by demonic spirits, yet he is composed enough a split second later to use his sarcastic antics on a stranger who surprisingly knows a lot about him. Basically, the whole Dark Hunters, demons, vampires, zombies, werewolves, and gods/goddesses combined together in one story is confusing. It is unclear how they all tie together, and the mythology behind some of the characters is undeveloped. The plot makes 464 pages of mind-numbing chaos.

As a side note, Kenyon even makes a reference to "Carrie," but she does so incorrectly. Kenyon claims the guy from school asks Carrie to prom with him so his friends can dump pig's blood on her, but that is not right. The guy who asks her to prom is being nice to her because he and his girlfriend feel bad for how they and the others have treated her. He is unaware that she is going to get blood poured on her. Just a little FYI for Kenyon.

In conclusion, this story is a waste of time. It presents cliffhangers throughout the chapters that have unsatisfying answers. I will not be continuing this series or any other novels by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
on June 3, 2010
I was a few pages into this book when I realized I was pretty annoyed by it. For a book that supposedly takes place ten years before Night Pleasures (which was contemporary in 2002 and still one of my favorite books), there was absolutely no effort to ground the book in that time. No one should be emailing on a regular basis (I was one of the few at my college to have an email account in 1994), cell phones aren't as widespread, and the slang is completely different. This alone told me that Sherrilyn Kenyon no longer really cares about tying her books together, and just wants to write another series that will sell.

I kept reading, mostly because I had already paid for the darn thing, and it got better. Yes, the writing is simplistic, but I can accept that since it's a young adult book. (And the Kenyon writer's tics are out in force: points every time the sentence "S/He gave him/her a _____ stare" appears. Bonus if it's a gimlet stare. She loves those.) Even though the time period is off, it's fun to see the old New Orleans crew together, albeit a few years younger, and the story is fun.

The anachronism is kind of a sticking point though. I can see wanting to "reboot" the time period of the series with this Nick series, because writing a story set in the early 1990s would pretty much be a period piece for today's kids. But at the same time, if this story is meant to tie into the rest of the Dark-Hunter series, it just doesn't fit, time-wise. I think I'm done with her books. If she doesn't care, why should I?
on June 6, 2010
First of all I have to say how incredibly disappointed I was to discover this was a young adult book. This was neither what I wanted or what I'd hoped for. Had I realized what this was before I purchased it, I simply wouldn't have. Actually, I feel kind of cheated. I was under the impression this was the first in a series of DH books about Nick - the tormented adult Nick we all know. The story wasn't bad, but honestly I have no interest in Nick as a child.

I don't want to have to read this series to understand what's happening in the real DH books, but I get the distinct feeling that's exactly how it's going to be now.

There's just something about Kenyon's dark hunter series that this book was seriously lacking, despite many familiar faces. Maybe it's the underlying sexuality, maybe not. The fact remains that it simply wasn't in this book. It felt more like someone else was trying to write a story in Kenyon's world.

I sincerely suggest this book not to be your introduction to Kenyon's world of Hunters.
on April 1, 2011
I had no expectations going to this book because I had never read any of the author's work; the book simply sounded fun and amusing from the description. However, I was extremely disappointed by this book. Extremely. While I was able to finish it, there were just too many problems for me to enjoy it. For one, I felt that the characters lacked development. They seemed very flat, and often their motivations did not match their actions or personality. Perhaps this was because there were simply too many characters. It was also hard to keep track of them all because they all had very confusing and hard to remember names, that were often very similar to other names. By the end of the overly long 480 pages, I still wasn't sure about who some of the characters were or which things they did. I also was extremely confused by the plot. There were a million different things going on, and its hard to explain without giving spoilers, but it seemed like none of the events were connected or lead to one another. There were simply too many different subplots and story lines happening to keep them in order. I am not even clear what the main plot is. The world the author created, while it had an interesting premise, was not fleshed out at all and some of the mythology was very confusing. Some of the events that happened did not even seem like they should be able to in that world, and there was no explanation for how they were happening. I also took issue with the writing. It seemed like the author was trying too hard to appeal to young readers, especially young boys. It was full of terrible cliches, ridiculous slang, and unnecessary metaphors every couple of lines. It made the writing very distracting and annoying. While it pains me to have to write so low of a review, I honestly could not enjoy this book, and it really turned me off from reading the author's other works.
on May 31, 2010
I am an avid fan of the DH series, and I am 17, so I thought a YA series from DH would not be out of my range. However, the writing of this particular book could be described as flawed at best.

I cannot stress enough that I love the writings of Sherrilyn Kenyon, but Infinity was murky. Ananchronisms popped out in several places. The year had to have been 1995 or before due to the age of Nick mentioned in the DH series. Kyrian gives young Nick a cell phone, and then tells him not to text too much. No one had even heard of texting $10,000 worth of cell phone bills in 1995.

Neither Acheron's nor Cherise' characters were kept consistent. Ash literally confided in a fourteen year old boy who had an unpenetrable mind, and he did so within minutes of meeting him. Cherise was constatnly screeching at Nick, and that got old quickly. In the DH series she was much more three-dimensional.

There were also a few Twilight-worthy uncomfortable moments for the reader. Nick kisses a girl and it feels so awkward when it is being described as something so wonderful. If the point of the series is to attract male readers, the quasi-romantic scenes may drive them away.

The most unforgivable thing to me is that she bascially voids part of the DH series. Nick is trying to change his past, and in one particular spot he succeeds very, very well. I do not want to mention more so I don't spoil the book, but, after reading Infinity, it seems like everything after Seize the Night needs to be re-written. I am certain the Writer Goddess has a plan, but I don't think it is a good thing when a spinoff destroys the last half of the original series.

There were good things too! She added several new characters who I adored -Bubba and Mark-, the plotline is actually pretty good -unless you've read the DH series, in which case some things will be clearer to you and others will be very, very, confusing-, and each successive hundred pages gets better and better! Also, the book was as humorous as her previous ones, albeit in a censored kind of way.

For Infinity, buy the book, but keep your receipt handy in case you want to return it. My loyalty to SK and certainty that the issues will be cleared up -at least not repeated as blatantly- keeps me from returning my copy.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2010
I didn't realize this was a young adult novel, but it doesn't matter, it is another great book from Sherrilyn Kenyon. I automatically bought it, but I would have done the same if I'd known, as it's the back story of Nick, a very important figure in this world. We got to see the back story of Acheron, why not Nick?