5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced and Great Sound, Excellent Value
I ordered P362's from Electronic Expo and they sent these P363's instead. Although functionally the same, it's a newer model with a full front grill. No complaints from me!

Published on March 22, 2011 by Eddie Chu

2.0 out of 5 stars Over hyped
Published 8 months ago by S. Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced and Great Sound, Excellent Value, March 22, 2011
Eddie Chu (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Infinity Primus Three-way dual 6-1/2-Inch Floorstanding Speaker (Black, Each) (Electronics)

These replace a pair of Klipsch two-way floor speakers as my front pair of 7.1 surround. The improvements are definitely obvious. Even my wife, who doesn't care about these things, notices the clarity of sound from these P363's.

The highs are not as bright as the Klipsch's, but I suspect it's because it's more accurate. The mid's are, wow! There is great clarity and does not sound strained at all even at high volumes.

The bass is good, but the need for a sub for the low movie rumbles is obvious. I mistakenly played the Tron Legacy mkv file on a two-channel setting. When I realized my mistake and switched to surround and activated the sub, the difference was obvious. For music, however, the bass is just fine without the sub. Music is actually more natural without the low rumble.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the purchase. I'm sure there are better speakers but the P363's are just fine for me. I don't think I'll get better sound than what I get from these for the price. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try them first in your environment and set-up before judging!, May 9, 2013
I bought 2 of these about 7 months ago at $99 each - then, at the end of April '13, I went back and bought 2 more at $107 each! I am very pleased with all genres of music experienced, with only a small tweaks here and there for vocals, more bass, or acoustical performances. I have no regrets, these are much more neutral than my older bose, studio monitors, and misc speakers i have used thruoughout the years in various rooms/environments. I am very happy, and they still freak me out while listening to them as certain sounds and voices appear to come out of nowhere and surprise the heck out of me! What i love most is i do not feel or hear directional sounds unless built into effects of sound production, ala hendrix pan from left to right speaker, et al. I just feel surrounded by sound with no particular heavy directional presence with four in corners of my med-large living room. I do not have a subwoofer unit for rumbling effects, but i have plenty of bass in neutral settings (esp for movie soundtracks), and if i really want bass in music recordings, i just tweak setting or hit bass enhancement switch on tube amp i use at the moment. Truly a fine experience for the bucks involved, and i like the looks of them with my black furniture and accent art. I say a great deal and highly recommend, keeping in mind personal taste and environment. (My first pair has well over 100 hours of play, and boom quite well when those frequencies are present or desired by adjustment.) Good Luck.

ps. I did monitor the Klipsch line in about this price range or higher before sale price of P363s AND i was way happy with what i heard coming from the Infinitys in audio showroom. Both are great, but i liked the look and their sound, as well as a bit of saving with the P363's. I am not a novice to sound and production, and well aware of various models and technologies over the decades. Nice to know trickle down tech is paying off in these modest speakers like all other type of products over the last 10+ years.

Hope you find YOUR dream set-up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value!, March 9, 2013
Is this professional grade? Of course not. But for the absurdly low price, the average home owner will be blown away by the power and clarity of these speakers.

I did a lot of research before purchasing these, and I got far more than I expected for my money. Still, you will want a subwoofer to go with these, but I almost feel like I don't even need it.

I would buy these all over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Speaker, September 16, 2013
I find these Infinity Primus P363's to be a very good speaker for the types of music/movies I enjoy. A heavy rock & roll, heavy metal, or rap speaker they are not, but for my listening of classical, pop, new age, jazz, R&B, and some country I find them quite acceptable, especially for piano, guitar, and voices (to include choral). I've always enjoyed the midrange and highs of the Infinity/JBL brands of speakers and also find they produce acceptable bass, at least they do for me. With movies I would suggest you compliment your system with a good subwoofer for those dramatic sound effects, and of course a good center channel speaker. Are these audiophile grade speakers? Of course not, not at this price point. And speakers are one of the most subjective purchases one can make, as what sounds good to some will not work for others. Your ears/tastes may be different than mine, as well as your budgets. And that's the trick to buying speakers, finding what sounds good to you AND falls within your budget. If money were no object then a set of Wilson's, Legacy Audio, or B&W's might sound good to YOU. I think most people would find these speakers very satisfying and quite capable of producing sounds that are quite pleasing, all at a very good price point. For their "medium" size I find they can produce a very nice soundstage. Bottom line is what sounds good to YOU! I like them and would not hesitate to recommend you give them a listen. With Amazon's current promotion, combined with free shipping (Prime Member), and no sales tax, I think these speakers are a very good value.

2.0 out of 5 stars Over hyped, December 30, 2013
By reading the reviews, its obvious that many use these for home theater rather than music. The first set I bought, one tower had a dead tweeter right out of the box. As the price is so good for these at ~$200 a pair when on sale, I still wanted to try them and got a replacement. As a budget audiophile, I have several issues with the speakers. For a tower speakers, I found them subpar for anything except modern processed music. For well recorded life-like music tracks, these speakers presented unnatural highs, lacking mids, and pronounced bass, similar to that of a sattelite system. When compared to a set of modest priced Dali Lektor 3 bookshelfs suplemented by a cheap polk sub, the infinities fell short. For the sale price, I agree that you are not oginging to find much better, but lets not get carried away or fooled into thinking that these are really worth $600 a pair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this sound!, January 1, 2013
I had been wanting to upgrade my front bookshelf speakers since I installed back speakers and bought an Onkyo 5.1 receiver two years ago. I ordered the Primus P363 pair even though I had not heard them, which I knew was a risky thing to do. I relied on the brand's reputation and thought the price was good for a three-way floor speaker. When I set them up in my medium-sized living room, I was immediately delighted by the rich, clear sound. I was also pleased that they work well with my unpowered subwoofer. I listen to a variety of music, including movie soundtracks, classical, and folk albums. I would have given this product five stars, but since I am not an audio engineer or a speaker salesperson with exposure to a wide variety of brands, it seemed presumptuous to do so. If you're ready to step up your system, I'd recommend the Primus P363.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value and very capable sound., March 20, 2014
These Primus P363's go on sale a lot so I was skeptical of how good could they really be. I am happy that I jumped on the sale price and grabbed a set for my fronts for a 7.1 set up. They are big, they are bulky but they have a smooth and balanced mid to high range that most speakers lack at this level. Keep in mind that despite the size, they do not really have enough bass to run with out a decent sub for a true full range sound. As these break in more, the more rich they sound. Pair this with the PC351 center (also big) and you will have a great front set up that will wow you beyond its price tag. If you have room for these, they perform like a solid mid range speakers at an entry level price. The Primus line is great for someone who is more refined than a home theater in a box/sound bar listener, but not an audio elite. I have these with the PC351 and several P153's, other than the bulkiness, I am very happy. If you can tell good sound, and want speakers that can handle pretty much everything with poise and power, give these a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 107 dollars I ever spent except that one time in Vietnam!, February 24, 2014
What a great deal. I really don't know how they do it. I got these to replace my p163s as they will be my front heights now. I really wasn't expecting that much of an improvement because the 163s sounded great but there is a real improvement in the top end. Just a little crisper and a more refined sound come out of these. I have them crossed over at 80 htz and they rock. As a stand alone for music they are okay but they aren't full range speakers. They would however sound great in a 2.1 setup. If you are looking for a good speaker for your home theater these are excellent and for 214$ shipped(still don't know how they do it) I would say these are the best value on the market. Also I will say if you are not a bass head these would be good for you. I like to feel my music so for my bass I have a SVS pb-1000 which will soon be upgraded to a pb-2000 and I have no doubt these things will keep up. Have these powered by a Pioneer vsx-1123k and they are fine. I think they would open up a bit more with more power but in my set up I am pleased. I love all brands mentioned to be fair. But if you are looking for something on a budget I highly recommend these. In fairness I must also say that one of my P163's had a tweeter go out so be sure to check if all components are indeed working. The great people at Amazon had another one to me the next day so I didn't miss a beat. Also if in the market for a sub I highly recommend SVS. Great customer service just like Amazon and really for the money they have no competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A steal at Fry's Electronics - 199.98 for the pair, May 26, 2012
B. Adams "JeRk" (Constantinople ... ;-)) - See all my reviews
Just bought these a few hours ago, and obviously still breaking them in. But perhaps someone is thinking about these speakers right now, and lives near a Fry's. Buy these NOW! At 200 bucks for the pair (through 5-31-12 at Fry's Electronics; store only) you're losing money if you don't buy them. I'm pushing these with a Yamaha RX-V867, and the sound is amazing. I've got these in a slightly oddly shaped but large living room, approximately 19' x 16'. Sound is amazing compared to the mid-end polks I previously had as the FL and FR channels. I've taken the amp up to -8Db (14 AWG wire, slightly more resistance than 16 AWG), I think amp is pushing 110W to each of 7 channels. Sound is still crisp and clear with highs, mids and moderately low range all perfectly balanced. Disconnected sub and these still filled the room quite well with all but the VERY lowest bass. No noticeable distortion even at this volume. I'd take it even louder to break in, but I can already hear my music a several hundred feet from the apartment, despite all windows and doors being closed. Well insolated high end townhomes, too. Its also not just the bass I hear outside. I can clearly make out the lyrics as well. Crazy loud in conjunction with my Yamaha amp. Again, if you live near Fry's, BUY THEM THIS WEEK! Don't miss out!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Sounding Overall and Represent a Great Value, June 14, 2014
Got a pair of these on sale for 199 to replace the fronts in my Home Theater and really like the way they image and provide a clarity and presence that you normally wouldn't expect. They provide decent bass, though I do have a subwoofer to handle that end of the spectrum, but where they shine most is in the mid and upper mid range. These matched up well with the rest of my components and are powered by a Yamaha with 95 watts and sound very good without needing to be cranked up.

There was a detailed review of this speaker at Audioholics when they came out a couple of years ago and they measured them at 4 ohms rather than the stated 8, though that was at higher frequencies and appears to be an engineering trick to eek out a bit more from the mid/upper range of those speakers. I don't know if they still are building them this way now as manufacturers often make updates to equipment during their life-cycle without mentioning it.

In reality it you have a decent amp/receiver then it shouldn't have any problems with 4 ohms or cause overheating. There is the potential for clipping at very high volume levels, but you should already be aware of that. This isn't necessarily a defect of the speakers, especially considering these are aimed at budget minded customers. My Yamaha has had no problems whatsoever with these and it doesn't run any warmer.

Not a State secret that these aren't perfect, but the compromises that have been made were not so great as to diminish their overall good sound, wide dispersion, and terrific value. Some might feel they are bit on the bright side, though I didn't find them overly harsh, rather they were surprisingly crisp and clean.

Detractors may have their say, but often they are comparing much more expensive speakers, Keeping everything in perspective, especially the pricing, these represent an excellent speaker that provide a lot of value. As long as they don't die an early death then I would recommend these to anyone looking for some tower speakers that sound pretty good and don't cost a lot.

Auditioning speakers in a store is always difficult as you'll never know how they are really going to sound until you try them out at home with your equipment and room acoustics. Just give them 25 - 50 hours to break in (at moderate levels) before passing final judgement. Noticed that they were made in Malaysia rather than China which I consider a plus.

Rate and Discover Movies