5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade to a stock stereo
Published on December 7, 2010 by Chad

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh... not so much
Installed these as replacement front door speakers in a 2012 Mustang. I had recently installed a Pioneer AVH-X2500BT DVD (4x50 watts) headunit, and was looking to improve the speakers along with it. These seemed to be the favorite "go-to" 6x8 speaker that's on the market.

Published 9 months ago by PVS-1

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade to a stock stereo, December 7, 2010
Chad (Annapolis, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Infinity Reference 6832cf 6 x 8/5 x 7-Inch, 180-Watt High Performance 2-Way Loudspeaker (Pair) (Electronics)
I just had these installed in a 2011 Ford Edge. The factory speakers sounded awful - no midrange to speak of, and very little bass. I chose these Infinities as a stopgap measure in a plan to incrementally upgrade the factory stereo system. Much to my delight, these speakers sound awesome! The bass response is far better than stock, and I now have midrange (presence.) In fact, I may elect not to do further upgrades at all. I chose the Infinities because of the brand reputation and specs: rated 4ohms and 93dBs sensitivity, resulting in louder sound output using the same factory amps. I wasn't expecting such a huge change in the sound quality overall, but it is striking how everything has changed for the better. Upgrading speakers is probably the most cost-efficent way to make a factory system sound better. After examining the Ford factory speakers that were removed, you can tell why - their construction and materials are way, way cheap. The coaxs in front have PLASTIC speaker baskets and paper cones, while the rears are 1-way. Buy these speakers if you want to upgrade a Ford factory system - you will not be disappointed.

Note: I listen to alternative music for the most part, and the bass response is quite sufficient. If you like rap, you will probably want to add a subwoofer.

4.0 out of 5 stars very nice for the money, January 5, 2012
I ordered a set of these and also installed some polk db571's in my Excursion. Generally the build qaulity and sound of the Infinity's is better, and they were the cheaper speaker. I already had the 571's or I would have just gone with all 6832's in all 6 locations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade to stock speakers =), February 26, 2011
02/26/2011 I purchased 2 sets of these speakers for my 2010 Ford F150 Lariat. I have the stock head unit with 6 cd changer and no navigation. Major improvement from the stock speakers. High crisp sounds can be heard at low volume levels. Not much bass response but I'm sure an additional amp would be sufficient. I am running 2 kicker 10" comps with a crossfire 500w amp for my lows. Awesome sounding system. I would recommend these speakers to anyone. note: having subs will enable you to turn down the bass on the head unit for a super clean sounding system. James - Texas

4.0 out of 5 stars Good upgrade for the price, January 14, 2012
Would like to give 5 stars, but these didn't perform as expected, even after reading every review on here about them.

First, here is what I'm working with: All four factory speakers replaced in a supercab 2011 F-150 with a stock head unit. I don't have an amp to provide better power so I know I'm selling these speakers short...for the time being :D

So remember...this review is based on these Infinities hooked up to a stock headunit ONLY.

When people said there was zero bass, they were absolutely correct. Poor bass response period. That's ok though, I was prepared for that since that's what the consensus was on here.

My disappointment came from the treble response. Many commented on how great they felt the mids and highs were. Unfortunately I can't say the same. Just not as high as I would like. Of course, that's my personal preference though; I like the treble turned way up in my music and I was looking forward to a certain sound and these just didn't satisfy.

But like my title says, great upgrade for the price. I paid $100 bucks for four speakers. I still come out on top considering how horrible the stock speakers were.

I just ordered a 4 channel amp to juice these suckers so I'll update this review when it's all hooked up.

Thanks for reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bang for the buck, January 10, 2012
First things first, its been said over and over again that these things don't produce much in the way of bass, I'm here to tell you that not only do they produce enough bass, it actually sounds a little too bassy and therefore muddy, degrading the quality of these otherwise great speakers. The key is mounting them properly, using some sort of sound deadening spacer in between the speaker and the car chassis, so it's not directly mounted onto the metal, dynamat is a popular choice, but I opted to go to lowes and use styrofoam insulation, half inch thick and wrapped in duct tape. Cut speaker holes in it and voila, homemade dynamat 1/10 the cost.
Having read all the negative comments on here about the bass response I decided to still roll the dice. Once a installed one side I immediately noticed the bass loss from stock speakers,(ford, bleh). I promptly went to made the spacers and a/b'd the infinitys, one with the spacer and one without. The difference was staggering. I installed both of the spacers and now have to roll the bass off a little around 80 hz so it doesn't crowd up the mix, I'm hearing bass as low as 44 hz or so, but it crowds up the mix in a way that makes it hard to get that glassy clarity in the midrange(220-1200hz). Now it will not thump like a sub, that's a given, but the bass is more than enough for the casual music lover, and like so many already said, match a sub and proper enclosure to these guys, and with some proper eq tweaking, this thing will sound amazing. The speakers are very detailed, excellent transients, have a pleasant "airy" quality that is the trend so much nowadays in most speaker systems. A little on the bright side, but I rolled mine back slightly in the 12khz range to counter that as well. If you want more mids in the speakers alone, go for the Polk db series, but pair these with a decent sub and enclosure and proper acoustic treatment and you've got it made in the shade.

4.0 out of 5 stars NIce speakers., December 26, 2010
Bought these for my 03 explorer after I blew out my rear stock speakers. Definitely an improvement over the stocks. I would buy again if I could get them a lil cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck!, August 2, 2011
Just installed these in my 2005 ford escape. I have an aftermarket no name Chinese DVD/gps double din. The factory speakers could not handle the power of my stereo, they would totally distort when the volume got to around 75%. With these new speakers I can crank up the stereo all the way. I have no idea why people are saying there is no bass in these speakers, that is not what I am experiencing. I have more bass with these speakers than the factory ones. I could not be happier with this purchase, the ability to move the tweeter in the direction of the listener is just what I needed seeing as how the speakers are placed low on the door at the occupants feet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh... not so much, November 12, 2013
PVS-1 (Orland Park, IL, US) - See all my reviews

I'm going to assume (and hope) that these need some "break-in" time, because frankly.... the initial results are underwhelming. I installed the driver's side only first and then listened to a comparison of various music from left-to-right with the stock Ford speaker. Really not a significant change or improvement in my opinion. Not bad sounding, but maybe a little less mid-range.

I'll probably go with Kicker 6x8 rear speakers, which seem to get good reviews for their bass output. Getting to the rear speakers in a Mustang is a pretty intensive exercise however, so I probably will hold off for awhile.

If these Infinity's do need a break in period and sound improves over time, I'll be happy with the purchase, and may improve the rating at that time.

As a side-note, when I installed these I needed to break off the outer mounting tabs that extend outward in order for them to fit in the opening that held the speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, October 1, 2011
there easy to install and they are a really good upgrade to any audio system im bying a second set for my rear speakers and im gonna buy the next model up for my second car im really inpressed with them but hey thats just my opinion try them for yourself you wont be dissapointed

4.0 out of 5 stars Infinity Reference 6832cf, March 21, 2011
These loudspeakers certainly live up to their name! Compared to my stock speakers (I drive a 1995 F150) they instantly put the originals to shame. Easily weighing twice the amount of the stock speakers, the sound delivered is clear, loud, and solid. They easily fit into the same holes from the old speakers so installation was a snap. The only downside was that one of the harnesses was a much higher gauge (meaning it was smaller) than what you could typically find in an electronics store. Luckily, I have some friends at a performance shop and they gave me a couple. So while everything about these loudspeakers is great, just keep in mind you might need to search a little to find the correct size harness to finish your install.

Rate and Discover Movies