Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on August 11, 2012
I had an almost identical experience to another 1-star reviewer on here. Out of the box I got a strange AH message on the screen that wouldn't go away and wasn't explained in the instructions anywhere. After leaving the thing alone for a few hours though, the message was gone and it was working.

"Working," I should say. The readings on items in my fridge (all presumably the same temperature) fluctuated by at least 15 degrees, with some actually below freezing, and others a balmy, 40+ degrees. (Balmy by food safety standards, anyway.)

I actually liked the feel and construction of the unit, but with such inaccuracies, I can't justify giving any more than 1 star. Fortunately, amazon allowed me to return it. Do yourself a favor and don't bother.
11 comment19 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2013
First off, this thing is selling for $10-15, so don't expect perfect accuracy. To expect a $15 tool to perform as well as one that costs $100's of dollars is simply ridiculous.

I bought this because it was cheap and looked like it might be useful. I ended up using it to check PCB temperatures on my motherboard to compare before and after installing a waterblock. While it may not match the temperature reading of a more expensive unit, it is consistent in its readings and thus worked very well for my purposes. The build quality is very good and it actually feels better in your hand than the professional grade one we have at work. Also, every one of my friends who sees it has to spend 15-20 minutes playing with it. If you are a student at engineering school this may provide hours of entertainment for you and your friends. If you aren't an engineer just ignore that part, we're weird.

Overall, if you need a cheap one of these, it works great, and for less than $20 you can't go wrong.
on June 26, 2012
I originally gave this item a 5 star review, after purchasing a higher quality item I came to find out this thermometer was as much as 10 degrees off. Would not recommend to a friend.
22 comments13 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2012
The price was right, but don't buy this laser thermometer if you need super accuracy. This gets it close, and if close is good enough then go for it.
on February 9, 2013
I tested this unit against an old Raytec mini temp and this unit was off by 11 degrees fahrenheit. The unit read 11 degrees colder than the Raytek.
on June 16, 2013
This has a mean varience of about 3-5 degrees of celcius. And to have a minimum error you have to bring the device very closer to the point which you want to check.
One point to note is that it was mentioned a 9v battery is not included. But there was a one included in the pack. So information is misleading.
on June 4, 2013
This thing arrived dead as a doornail. I tried replacing the battery but to no effect. I have to wonder about the build quality and quality control of a device that doesn't work brand new out of the box.
on October 30, 2012
The unit is accurate the first or seccond use. The temps then creep upwards as much as 20 degrees with prolonged use.

Therefore, this unit is effectiely useless.

I didnt notice this issue till after the return window...guess I'm stuck with this POS.
on January 11, 2015
Product works great. Used it outside (20 degree outside temp) and could sweep across the yard and tell where the dogs were in the back yard by the temperature change measured. Pretty cool. Also used it inside the house to measure temperature differences between the walls and the windows where the cold was seeping in. The only reason I gave it a four star rather than a five star is because I don't have a way to verify the temps it was reading were exact.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2013
I bought this in December, and a couple of days ago (May), it simply stopped working. 3 month warranty. Battery tester says battery is fine, tried a new battery anyway -- nothing. No idea why it would completely stop working, it wasn't dropped or otherwise abused.

Like others, I saw some temperature variation (boiling water never got above 195 and I don't live in the mountains) but it was good enough for what I wanted.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse