Ingredients It would be helpful to have the exact ingredients listed. Some of us are allergic to bismuth oxychloride. Is any of that present? What about the size of the minerals? I've been reading that nano-sized (less than 100nm) mineral particles may be harmful to the skin. Do any of the Bare Escentual products contain nano-sized particles?
asked by P. Turner on December 10, 2006
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 answers
A
I too am concerned about ingredients, particularly the use of paraben preservatives after the '04 Japanese study showing increased aging of the skin when exposed to sunlight after a tiny amount of paraben (a preservative in most cosmetics) was included. Bare Escentuals says they are preservative free, but a list of the ingredients in Mineral Veil says that they use both Methylparaben and Propylparaben in that. Any insights?
Heather answered on April 28, 2007
Comment | 8 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
"Nano damage" is very real. Particulate size is very important in measuring air quality. Particles 2.5 microns and smaller are considered fine particles. Nanoparticles are smaller than this and can enter the lungs. It's not "pseudo" at all and more important than complex interactions with traces of other things.
Ann answered on January 27, 2008
Comment | 15 of 16 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
About a year ago when I started using mineral makeup, I did not buy Bare Minerals because of the bismuth oxychloride. I had a mild reaction to it, and I did not like the shiny, unnatural glow it gave my face. Now I use Afterglow Cosmetics (www.afterglowcosmetics.com) and silk powder makeup from Aubrey Organics (www.aubrey-organics.com, search: silk powder). They are amazing. Try them for yourself, and I think you'll feel better about what you are putting on your skin.
TN answered on July 6, 2007
Comment | 8 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Nano particles are a real concern. I attended a nanotechnology symposium a few years back, and the researchers there said the shape of the particles allowed them to enter the body by creating extremely tiny incisions. They were working on identifying how to control absorption so that non-desirable particles could not enter the body through the openings nano particles made. The plus of using nanoparticles in medicine was that you don't have to use as much to treat a person, and it can be more targeted. The concerns they voiced (some admitted this to be a problem grudgingly), was enough for me to choose not to buy any make-up that uses them. I have enough to worry about. I don't need to worry about nano particles, too.
T.J. Teacher answered on March 14, 2012
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The Bare Minerals broke my face out so I had to return it.
I've used Everyday Minerals (everydayminerals.com) for a month, and just love it! It's also about half the cost of the BE. The Everyday does NOT have the bismuth chloride in it. They have a free sample kit ($3.97 postage) that's fantastic. Do try the Everyday. The lighter shades run really light, BTW.
a viewer answered on August 31, 2007
Comment | 9 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Bare Escentuals foundation does contain Bismuth- it's listed in the BE website under the product.

The mineral veil does not contain parabens- not sure where Heather found her ingredient list but this is copied from the BE site under mineral Veil spf 25: Titanium Dixoide, Zea Mays (Corn Starch), Corn Starch Modified, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Magnesium Stearate. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Hope this helps :)
Chantall D. Northrop answered on January 4, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
bare minerals matte foundation: Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide. Inactive Ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides
B. Lawrence answered on March 11, 2014
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
In the Faux Tan what are all the ingredients. Is the dark color from walnut oil? Please let me know.
Nadene Ellsworth answered on July 6, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
MelodySusie Portable White Violeteer 9W UV Lamp Light Acrylic Nail Dryer for CND
Yair Ben-Ad answered on August 3, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I don't know about the nano-stuff, but I use Aromaleigh and the color I use does not have Bismuth Oxychloride in it.

I've been using 1P and I just ordered the Alabaster and the Metamorphosis.

www.aromaleigh.com
Jynanntonnyx answered on February 6, 2008
Comment | 1 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product