5.0 out of 5 stars 'Catch Your Breath'
INHALE

Indie author Kendall Grey is proof that there is no coincidence. Everything happens for a purpose and most things are more connected than we know.

Published on February 27, 2012 by Peepers

2.0 out of 5 stars It's was an okay but flawed read
I met Kendall Grey in Kara's chat and resolved to try and read every author who attended since they were all fabulous people. Inhale was my maiden voyage into this endeavour and came with a strong recommendation from my dear friend.

Published on June 15, 2012 by Kat Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Catch Your Breath', February 27, 2012
INHALE

Ms. Grey has taken Urban Fantasy to new heights with Inhale, combining science, fantasy and folklore to weave a tale that feels frighteningly real. After all, everyone dreams, right? You will wish you could dream up Gavin Cassidy, but you will need to take him along with the night creatures of The Dreaming and their desire for your elements.

A modern take on the mythology of `Elementals', Ms. Grey does not disappoint in her world building. Her characters as so multi-dimensional you cannot help but become engaged in their struggles. The story is fast paced, and I found myself having a hard time putting it down, except when I needed to catch my breath. The sex is hot. Very hot. But, it does not overtake the plot, nor is it gratuitous. Fortunately, most of the book takes place on or near the water, so everybody has the opportunity to cool off.

The first in a trilogy, Inhale ends nicely, but leaves the reader anxiously awaiting more. I highly recommend this book to the adult reader who enjoys Fantasy with a very real feel. I suspect Ms. Grey is an author to keep a close eye on. Her writing abilities and imagination far exceed what one might expect from a `first time full-length' novelist. I predict we'll be hearing a lot more from Ms. Grey. At least, I hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book I have read this year!, April 30, 2012
This is not my review, I will write it up tomorrow, but I just have to shout: THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!!!

*************************************************************************

OK, so here is my actual review. I was just to stinkin' excited not to post a comment when I finished it, but way to tired to form coherent sentences with anything close to decent editing skills.

I was not exaggerating my love for this book. When I decided to review this arc, I was expecting to like it. The premise was different and the buzz was good. I never expected to absolutely love it. This story of love and fate and balance and becoming the person you were meant to be was beautifully woven.

Normally, here is where I say, "I'll tell you what I liked about it", but with this review I need to say, "loved" about it:

*I have always loved whales and felt they held a kind of "magic" for lack of a better world. I really enjoyed how Kendall blended the science and fantasy in this story. I do not know how to tell you exactly what I mean here without giving spoilers, but I believed.

*The characters were not perfect or always likable, but you cared about them and understood their actions. It was fascinating to see such well developed characters as not only they saw themselves, but as others saw them. The way Zoe and Gavin saw each other was so completely different than they saw themselves and so completely different than I saw them.

*The authors use of language was amazing. Different characters have different dialects and slang and they stayed true to their voice throughout the book. The story takes place, for the most part, in Australia, but has characters from elsewhere, making this exceptionally impressive. Ok, that statement may not be true. A lot of the book took place in Dreaming, but the base was Australia. Either which way, the characters held their voices.

*The blend of aboriginal lore with the science made for a very unique story. The amount of research that went into this novel must have been immense.

*This book beyond had the "I can not put this down" factor. I felt myself anxious to find out what was on the next page. This was in the action scenes as well as the interpersonal scenes. I can not tell you why without being spoilery, but the scene at Shaggy's had me on the edge of my seat.

*If you are worried that with all my talk of science and lore that there would not be some heat, have no fear ;).

*The ending. It was a complete story, but left enough open to make you want more.

*The profits from this book and all of the books in the trilogy are going to whale education programs!!!!!!

I can not even tell you how much I am anticipating the next book in this series. I almost wish I had not gotten to read this one early because now I need to wait extra long to read the next book. Speaking of this being an arc, because of that I can not comment on what the final editing and formatting will be like, but they seemed really strong in the copy I have.

Kendall, If you read this, please release your next book tomorrow. Thank you ;)

This is not a YA read and I do not recommend it for those under 18. One of the main characters is a rock start so you see some of that world as it, unfortunately, is and the main characters do express their feelings and attraction for each other.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, more please!, April 9, 2012
4.5 stars.

Inhale is the entertaining fantasy novel that introduces the talents of Kendall Grey to the world. It is my impression that she has written shorter works but this is the first full-length book which amazingly is part of a trilogy! Despite the somewhat familiar use of beings called Elementals (Fyre, Waeter, Aer and Erthe), the author creatively melds an alternate reality called Dreaming with experiences in the real world (Realis). The Elementals are "ancient creatures ... that thrive on hybrid elements created by humans...who are always hungry."

Engaging characters ensnare the reader on a breathless ride to free a trapped whale (I loved the repartee about inheritances while Zoe and Adriene struggle on the water) then drag one into the morass of emotions of Gavin and his daily fight to regain equilibrium both in his role as a musician and as a Sentinel. The enigmatic aboriginal Sentinel known as Yileen provides clues and his own brand of assistance but the ongoing struggle will require the efforts of many to try to protect humans from the depredations of the Elementals. Sizzling love scenes are intermingled with those that vividly conjure up the vast ocean and the fascinating cetaceans that travel through that medium. A mysterious nemesis lurks in the background of the real world even as an overt attack is being orchestrated in Dreaming and Zoe will have to learn how to cope against both even as she strives to determine who her allies and enemies truly are. A great start to the series introducing a talented author who is unselfishly donating her profits for Whale education.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's was an okay but flawed read, June 15, 2012
Kat Kennedy (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inhale (A Just Breathe Novel) (Kindle Edition)

I purchased a copy and eagerly sat down to read. I applaud Grey on her imagination and unique world-building. Also her research and attention to detail gets a credit. I wasn't able to finish this novel despite rather liking both of the main protagonists and generally appreciating the magic system and society she created.

I had to stop reading though because I found the writing very difficult to submerge myself in.

It felt like every third sentence was doused in jarring, uncomfortable metaphors and the similes were not a great improvement.

Of course, the first odd bit of writing to really catch my eye was on page 19 - not a great start:

"Or innocent people woke up dead."

This reminded me of a quote from Cordelia to Giles in Buffy. Something along the lines of, "If you're not careful, one day you're going to wake up in a coma."

If anyone remembers this episode, Giles' reaction to that comment was my exact reaction to the line above.

And if that had been the worst of it I would have gotten the hell over it and gotten back to reading and trying to submerge myself in the world and narrative. But it wasn't.

"The implications rushed like a runaway bowling ball on a pre-ordained path to a game-winning strike. For the opposing team."

"The Sentinel's body convulsed, her fear producing more Fire. Like pulling spaghetti from a steaming pot, the jackals dredged out the last few red sparks and fought over them with bared teeth."

These are the examples that most stick out. It's not that they're horrible but, to me, they felt craftless and cumbersome in the text. There was an awkward, rough quality to the prose that made it difficult for me to connect to the writing.

When I realized how hard I was working to try and enjoy the story, I mostly gave up. For this caliber of novel, I expect to be swept away, not to endure a hard slog against the current.

Goodness, now I'm doing it too! Signing off before it spreads and gets worse!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inhale...something bigger than us; something "more"., December 28, 2013
This review is from: Inhale (A Just Breathe Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Inhale...how do I write a review of this book which doesn't involve me writing a book about this book? Do you like to believe that there is more to the universe than that which we see, live, day-to-day, in our normal, mundane world? Have you ever entertained the possibility that sometimes, dreams can be more than just our brains' way of filtering out the occurrences of the day? What about the elements (Earth, Air, Fire, Water)? Without them, we cease to exist, and yet, we never really give them a second thought.

Take a dip into the cool, blue waters of Hervey Bay. Listen to the whale's song. Immerse yourself in the rich, expansive world of Kendall Grey's imagination; the Dreaming, a plane of existence that dwells, not outside, but alongside our daily lives. The Elements, which, when in balance, exist harmoniously, even with the ever-present ability to destroy one another. And therein lies the adventure, the danger, for reluctant Sentinel, Gavin, an up and coming rock star and his muse, Zoe, renowned researcher and whale-whisperer, if you will. Their budding relationship, their struggle for balance in nature and the safety of humankind will draw you in and perhaps offer a possible answer to the question of why we, as humans, perpetrate some of the atrocities occurring in the world. Their story of two people, who could not be more different, connecting physically and on a much deeper level, is something that we all long for and can find relatable.

If you are familiar with the concept of astral travel, or even lucid dreaming, then you will understand why this book resonated with me. If not, then perhaps you could open your mind to the possibility of something "more". A more complex world than that with which we are accustomed.

In writing this review, I am reminded of the emotions I felt while reading this book. I loved it and have already started the second in the series, Exhale. It was a stroke of genius on the part of Ms. Grey to call it "Inhale" as that is what it caused me to do; inhale and hold it while I rode out the wave. I am ready now to Exhale and then to Just Breathe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but very hard to follow, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Inhale (A Just Breathe Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Sorry mate. I didnt quite enjoy this book at all. I was really interested in it at first because of the fact that we were going to be reading about a Scientist who loves & saves whales. I never really expected it to be covered on Aboriginal mythology? but that was great too! And the love scenes were okay yet intensely hot as well. I dont know why I couldnt get into it. I found myself skim reading most of it. Only the good parts did I actually read especially the action between the sentinels and elementals. I'm thinking this is probably just me. I just couldnt grasp the dreamsense plane and Realis plane linking together. Although its a different concept for me I guess. Im currently reading the second book Exhale only because I have to.

UPDATE: the book Exhale was excellent!! Im so glad I kept going :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Inhale and Be Ready To Hold Your Breath, February 29, 2012
Kendall Grey is an awesome person with a vivid imagination. Her book reflects that fact. Its pretty great that all profits are going to whale education programs. Who would have thought that you could save the whales by reading urban fantasy/ paranormal romance books? Put it on your TBR pile, or better yet, get ready to buy a copy... you know you want to.

My Official Review is available here: [....]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, February 27, 2012
Lynn Rush (Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
I love Zoe and Gavin's story. Kendall Grey does a fantastic job of weaving a complicated, engrossing, and creative story.

I love how raw Gavin is. He's genuine. Screws up with the best of them, yet that's what makes him so real and dare I say lovable. Zoe's brilliant. Her passion for her beliefs is enviable, yet she's vulnerable, too. Kendall Grey finds a nice balance there.

The world Kendall created is complex yet understandable. I love all the different aspects of the elements in her stories, and I can't wait to see more books on a specific elemental in particular...but I'll let you read the story to guess who I might be thinking of.

Inhale is a pretty steamy story, so beware. But one thing I have to note is-->I didn't feel like sex was the plot like some romances. It fit with the characters and the story line.

Nicely done, Kendall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasmic, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Inhale (A Just Breathe Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Inhale, Book 1 of the Just Breathe Trilogy by Kendall Gray, was pretty fantasmic.

I am relatively new to the world of Elemental PNR and I was a bit wary at first. But then again, I was wary of Trolls and the inevitable happened when I finally read the Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking (I loved it). Plus, I couldn't pass up a free book. I should have learned and I definitely did.

Like I said. Fantasmic.

No, this was not a erotica thriller with sex, raunchy sex, kinky sex and general smut smut thrown around for an extra good measure of good ol' hedonistic sex. Of course, don't get me wrong, Kendall Gray does not disappoint when exploring the relationship between Zoe and Gavin. Kendall Gray just adds so much *more* to her story.

I love how Kendall Gray threw us into the Elemental world with no lengthy introductions or overly long descriptive prose. I stumbled a bit since the terminology was unfamiliar and the players not fully revealed. In fact, even by the end, the author left us still treading in the Elementals world. While she explores the feelings between Zoe and Gavin pretty extensively, she is able to flesh out her secondary characters with delicious glimpses into their hidden backgrounds. Everyone is playing a game in this series and as readers, we still don't know all the rules. And I love it. Can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow....just WOW! Read it!, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Inhale (A Just Breathe Novel) (Kindle Edition)
I heard about this book from several bloggers and since I am a paranormal/fantasy/romance junkie it seemed right up my alley!!! I am so glad I decided to give it a try!! I fell in love with this wonderful world of elementals and sentinels and wyldings and dreaming and adventure and HOT HOT HOT steaminess and I couldn't put it down!!!
In this book there is the "real" world, Realis, and the world in our dreams, The Dreaming. Elemental Sentinels keep watch to in the dreaming to help keep the peace in Realis. The have use of all the elements (Erthe,Aer,Fyre,and Waeter) to help them do this job.
We first meet Gavin...what to say about this bucket of hotness??? He is a rockstar in Realis and a Sentinel in The Dreaming. He has some pain and tragedy in his past that he is having a hard time getting over. He is first pulled back into the Dreaming to help save a wyldling. He has an immediate connection to her but doesn't feel he is worth her, or anyone. But he can't stop thinking about her...He is soon tasked with being her protector once it is discovered the pesky fyre elementals want her for something.
Zoe is a marine biologist who is very passionate about her whales. To the extent of her own suffering. She is pulled into the Dreaming and nearly drowned, but is saved by a mysterious beautiful man. She continues to visit the Dreaming each night and sees this man, who she calls "Perfect". She does not think these "dreams" are anything other than her subconcious trying to tell her through her dreams how to help a particular whale who she feels she let down in the past. What do the fyre elementals want from her? Gavin is there to help protect her and the heat between the two of them is awesome. I found myself blushing at times while reading about them...and I loved it!
Scarlet and Sinnder are the fyre elementals you love to hate. Especially Sinnder...you can't help but think naughty thoughts about this man...
No more on the plot.(I know, I haven't given much as it is..I've always been a big reader, but never so great at reviews.) There is adventure, passion, and much steamy sexiness!!! Read this book!!! You will not be sorry. Kendall Grey is an excellent wordsmith who drags you into the story and does not let go...and you absolutely DO NOT want her to.

Inhale (A Just Breathe Novel)
$3.99