Published 12 months ago by R. J. Sand

2.0 out of 5 stars Online basically does not exsist
Should have done some more research before I bought this. I have the regular version for xbox, decided to pick this up for all the DLC included and to have it on the PC platform. However no one plays online, and even if you do find a match, lag is basically unplayable. Do not purchase if your goal is to play online.

That said, single player is great if...
Published 6 months ago by Branden Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable game. Plenty of fun with a wide variety of DC Comics characters., December 8, 2013
This review is from: Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
For the record, I'm not a fan of fighting games. I bought this purely because I love the DC Comics Universe. I played through story mode on Very Easy, because I'm that bad at fighting games. Compared to some other games, however, the combos aren't that complex. The animations in this game are fluid and fun to watch. The selection of characters is broad and varied. The use of environments is a fun touch. Graphics are good. The backgrounds are interesting. Animations for the super moves are mostly awesome, especially Batman and Aquaman.

The game includes practice mode where you beat on a dummy that stands around, so you can take time to learn each characters' moves. You can also work through the STAR Labs mission to learn the ropes. These missions also include a few special challenges. One of them is to simply out-heat vision evil Superman by hitting buttons when prompted.

As far as the story goes, I really enjoyed it. At first I rolled my eyes at yet another DC alternate universe story. It's been done to death, particularly in recent years. The characters are spot on though, the voice acting is great, the story is interesting, and they did a great job of using it as a framework that fit naturally around a fighting game.

There are plenty of unlockables. As you fight matches, you earn experience. When you level up, you get access points for new costumes, music, hero cards, concept art, etc.

I don't know how fighting game enthusiasts will view the game, but playing on very easy just to have fun slapping around the heroes and villains of the DCU, I really enjoy it. You can play "Battle" mode with each of the characters to unlock their specific ending, brief slideshows of images and voiceover that tie the characters into the main story and explains what happens to them when it's over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacking horribly in multiplayer, but vastly improved single-player experience, May 22, 2014
I've already written a huge review on Injustice on the PS3, which, lucky me, is the top "Critical" review, since I gave the game three stars after playing its release for a while. Having said that, I doubt anyone needs a recap on the game--it's essentially the same game, even without the DLC.

What you get here is a staggeringly beautiful version of the "Ultimate Edition" of the game (as should be expected). The game runs dreamily, and the action looks better than anyone could have possibly expected when the game was first released on consoles.

Aside from the given resolution boost, the PC version also has a variety of added details to the characters and the environments, which should please quite a few people. The obvious superiority of the PC version (especially with the fps jump and resolution options) is clear as day.

By all means, try out those killer Supers along with the stage transitions to see the flashier aspects of the game. Doomsday is still a riot, and Superman's is astonishingly beautiful (and naturally over-the-top...of the exosphere, literally, as it should be).

The game is reasonably friendly to mid-range setups like mine (which cost a total of about $650, maybe $750, to build from scratch last year, in late 2013), and with all mid-range parts along with a slightly-more-than-midrange Radeon HD 7870, everything can be maxed out. I can't speak for anything lower than a 7850, though, as I was running an Nvidia setup for a lengthy amount of time and can only speak personally about the 7770, which, spec-wise, just doesn't run anywhere near as well as the 78XX series. Additionally, the R-line cards near the same price range (as of this writing) don't perform significantly better than the 78XX series. But considering what a 7850/70 goes for these days, it certainly shouldn't be breaking anyone's bank.

There is of course the problem of the utterly-dead multiplayer scene, though it should be noted that the console versions aren't faring much better after all this time (I blame the newbie-unfriendly mechanics, both in the fighting mechanics and the not-so-great matchmaking system that has no qualms about pairing you up with someone who's 3000-150, or something along those lines, if it can't find anyone else right away). As for private matches, I have no one with which to private match, so I can't speak about those, though it seems others are having some problems with it, and it seems NetherRealm has abandoned this title's multiplayer scene.

Still, Injustice UE is a highly-competent single-player game, with a pretty decent Story Mode and a fun, if somewhat unbalanced, fighting system, though this doesn't really matter in single-player. If nothing else, it looks and functions phenomenally (with or without a gamepad, though I would personally recommend a decent Logitech gamepad or any Xbox 360 controller--it doesn't matter if it's the PC version or not, it works the exact same way, as all official 360 and One controllers will work on Windows along with their console counterparts), and it's really just a lot of fun to mess around.

I still love the lower-level Batcave stage transition, and it was my stage of choice because it's the only stage transition in which you can match any two characters up. It never gets old, especially if you're playing as, say, Harley, and you go after Bane in the elevator and watch her smack him around. Batman beating up Superman, or the other way around, is equally entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great PC Port, December 25, 2013
For all of you PC guys on the fence, you can buy this with confidence. The game was ported very well from the Xbox 360, and runs fine on most modern machines. I would suggest either getting a controller or arcade stick, as using a keyboard may prove to be impractical with some of the inputs you will want to do.

In short, good character depth, great story and an overall pleasurable gaming experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs fast computer, December 27, 2013
Phenomal game, the story blew me away completely, I love doing battles, and just beating up the computer. The catch however, is this game is very high quality, and to get the best out of it, you need a fast computer. I for one, am okay with somewhat of a lag during fights, it is still fun, but although I cannot enjoy online game play, I bought this game knowing my computer wouldn't give it the best quality of gameplay.

2.0 out of 5 stars Online basically does not exsist, June 1, 2014

That said, single player is great if you've never done it. And local 2 player/versus is fine. Its a great game, however i purchased it specifically to play online and the option may as well not exist for how bad it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!, December 30, 2013
If you love DC Universe and Figthing Games, then this is a Game for you!

Very IMPORTANT: You need a XBox 360 Controller!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, May 25, 2014
Saboth (Lynchburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This was the equivalent of playing on of the DC animated movies. Lots of cut scenes with fights interspersed throughout the game. A good storyline that keeps it interesting. I've no interest in playing online with anyone, but I enjoyed the story mode. You do not get to play as all of the characters in story mode. It would have been nice if perhaps they flipped the story and you got to play some side missions as Grundy, Catwoman, etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun for single player or local coop..., December 26, 2013
But the online multiplayer is broken. Can't find matches at all and can't start a private match (crashes to desktop whenever you try to invite a friend). Steer clear of this until (if) they fix it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy for the PC! Consoles ok., September 3, 2014
Randel Solis (Pittsburg, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Don't get this game for the PC! The games looks and plays fine for consoles, but it's just poorly optimized for the PC. I have been able to run any game (Watchdogs, etc.) in the highest settings so far with my current setup (GTX 770, 16GB RAM, i5-something), but for some reason, Injustice will only run properly if I turn down almost all graphics settings. If I let the game pick the "optimal" settings, the game runs in slow-motion which is good because then there's a lot more time to input attacks and react and block, but it takes all the fun out of the game.

Overall, even though I only paid $7.49 for this game, I would say that it's probably the only game I feel like I wasted my money on. Don't get this, buy something else, or get it for whatever console.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game (with a little work), May 28, 2014
This is definitely one of my all-time favorites! I had been playing on my iPhone for awhile before going for the PC version. I'm running it on an Ultrabook, so it took a little work in the settings to get it out of slow-mo, but it was worth it. The visuals are outstanding, and the animation is amazing. Gameplay is a lot like its predecessor, Mortal Kombat (minus the fatalities). It is a little tough to work on the keyboard, but again, with some customization it works out fine. I love the ability to use (and break) environmental objects. Well worth it!

Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition [Online Game Code]