5.0 out of 5 stars This album is off the hook!
Published on April 22, 2000 by danielle037

3.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Set Produced By Narada Michael Walden
Published on September 17, 2003 by retro_styled_crooner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is off the hook!, April 22, 2000
This review is from: Inner Child (Audio CD)
Inner Child is one of my favorite CD's. Depsite if it's old. It's still tight. "Keep your Inner Child Alive (Interlude)" is the first interlude on the album. The next song is "I Love Your Smile", which was an uptempo hit back in '91. "I'm Cryin'" was also a hit. Track 5 is one of my favorites, it's called "I Hate To Be Lonely". It's such a beautiful ballad. "Stop Cheatin' On Me" is tight. It's one of them songs that stay in your head. "Silent Prayer" was another hit from this album.
Everyone should be listening to "Peace In The World". Let's stop the violence! Shanice remade Minnie Riperton's "Lovin' You". "You Ain't All That" get's in your head. Shanice & Mookie Meet Homey is a skit with Homey the Clown. LOL, yeah right. It's funny though. Shanice shows she's back with "You Didn't Think I'd come Back This Hard". "You Were The One" is another beautiful ballad. It made me cry. A lot of these songs relate to my love life. The next song makes you dance! It's "I Love Your Smile (Hakeem's Mix). The album ends with "Goodnight (Interlude)", a music box outro. If you love the songs from the early '90's, then I would recommend this to you. It's good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and slow...Booming and banging, July 2, 2002
Saleem Okwu (Baltimore, Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inner Child (Audio CD)
"Inner child," by Shanice, is the best album that I have ever heard. Shanice has her words soft and slow when she wants you to get that loving feeling, but then pumps it up when she wants you to vibe. The best song on this album has got to be "Forever In Your Love" because it is who Shanice is, very demanding and upfront, but soft and tender at the same time. Her remake of Minnie Ripperton's classic hit "Loving You" is very well done. Shanice puts her own emotions into the song, and the listener will be able to notice it.
Shanice is a new first-time mother, but I would not mind her getting back into the studio. Her self-titled album, "Shanice," 1997 or 1998, was very impressive, but it is "Inner Child" that puts the boom in the base. "You Didn't Think I Come Back This Hard" displays Shanice's rap skills while at the same time getting the listener (and other artists) to not take her vocal skills lightly. Oh yes, I don't have to mention the track that really got this album noticed..."I Love Your Smile." The was, and probably will be Shanice's signature song.
"Inner Child"...(you) buy it. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nelly's baby Gurl, June 5, 2003
Shannon Morris (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inner Child (Audio CD)
This Cd is so, so beautiful. I first heard Shanice when I was around three years old. The highlights are: I love your smile( it has that early 90's feeling to it, back when music was at its best) Silent Prayer( once you hear this song, it will make you think about someone you love) and the most beautiful, Lovin You( a remake of the 70's song)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm proud to say I own this album., May 14, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Inner Child (Audio CD)
I just picked this LP up today and I put it in my CD player and I haven't stopped playing it since. Right now I'm listening to "Forever In Your Love." None of the songs on this album are boring. I'd have to say my favorite song is "I Hate To Be Lonely," which is a beautiful ballad. The highlights on this album are "I Love Your Smile," "Silent Prayer," "You Ain't All That," and "I'm Cryin'." The topics on this CD are diversified: love, joy, hope, peace, fun. She does a great rendition of "Lovin' You." Buy this album it's great and you'll smile when she raps! P.S. "You Were The One" is the most heartfelt track and a favorite of many.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Overlooked R&B Gem, June 18, 2010
Luuuc (Western Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inner Child (Audio CD)
This album came out in the early 90's when R&B was going from strength to strength, but unfortunately as a result it got a bit lost in the mix. At the time I really lliked it, and then I moved on and listened to the next thing. So when I recently pulled it out and gave it another spin I felt the need to give it some due recognition here because it still sounds pretty good.
Bottom line - Shanice can sing circles around most other R&B artists.

Highlights of the album for me are:
- I Love Your Smile - this one made the top 10 so we all know it. The songs treads the line between being very sweet and being corny, but manages to pull it off. Back in the day they used to play this in the clubs and it booms surprisingly well too.
- Forever In Your Love - a fun, up-beat song with a lil' attitude. The glimpses of her personality throughout the album really add to the enjoyment.
- I'm Cryin' - this ballad showcases her vocals very nicely
- I Hate To Be Lonely - My favourite track. This is one of the most wonderfully arranged grooves you'd ever want to hear. A classic track where production and vocals are perfectly matched. You need to hear this.
- Silent Prayer - another slow ballad that allows her voice to shine, this time with a little help from Johnny Gill. Beautiful song.
- Peace In The World - as with I Love Your Smile, this comes awful close to being corny, but somehow her sincerity helps her to keep it uplifting. This hasn't aged so well though - it sounds sooo 1991.
- Lovin' You - she tackles the Minnie Riperton classic and in my opinion does a great job

Some songs stand the test of time better than others, but in the end, Shanice's ability to express herself through her exceptional voice makes this CD stand out from the R&B crowd. It's just a pity that it didn't get the exposure it deserved. I rate this 4.5 stars (but because I can't give half-stars here and I'm very picky with my 5's, it gets stuck with a 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful album!, October 27, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Inner Child (Audio CD)
I first bought this album (on cassette) in 1992. I got the CD sometime in early 1997. This is one of my favorite CD's of all time. Shanice is such a beautiful singer. Shanice is a stunning beacon of light. I once had her Inner Child CD playing (it was kept low but you could still hear it) while I was being home schooled. My teacher and I were going over schoolwork and she heard the CD and said to me "Who is that singing??" and I replyed "It's Shanice" and she said "Wow, she's got such a very beautiful voice!" She was amazed. This CD has been in my collection for quite some time throughout failed friendships, disappointments, struggles and all other kinds of life issues.
Songs like "I Love Your Smile" and "Forever In Your Love" always brighten up my day and make me feel good inside even on my worst of days. I never knew when I first stumbled upon her album that her music would have such an impact on me. Who could resist her lovely voice? When I first heard her singing on the radio, I thought to myself "wow, who is this?" I figured any singer with such beautiful sound must be someone I should listen to. I was feeling pretty down the other day, and then I put on "Peace In The World," and within a few brief minutes, I somehow found the ability to go on. By listening to Shanice's music, I always can find the peace, love, joy and happiness that I need. So with that, I thank this young lady for just being who she is and being there for everyone with the lovely music she puts out for us. No one else can sing like her. She seems to just get more beautiful as time goes on. My favorite tracks are "I Hate To Be Lonely," "You Were The One," "Lovin' You" and the heartbreaking "I'm Cryin'" If you don't have this CD, then I recmommend you make this one your next buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Set Produced By Narada Michael Walden, September 17, 2003
This review is from: Inner Child (Audio CD)
Shanice was promised a pretty successful, but brief, career after her 1987 debut when she was in her mid-teens. She has an impressive voice, including the ability to hit falsettos like a young Minnie Riperton, and shows on the impressive Riperton cover "Lovin' You." Fortunately, even though Shanice was just a teenager when she recorded this album, she doesn't overindulge in the falsetto like Mariah Carey did on her early releases. The only unfortunate thing is that she does overindulge in rapping, which is not her particular strength. "I Love Your Smile" and "Silent Prayer," featuring the amazing voice of ex-New Edition member Johnny Gill stand out as the albums finest moments.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of power for an 18-year old, October 26, 2007
This review is from: Inner Child (Audio CD)
In 1987, then-14-year-old Shanice Wilson debuted with an acceptable but underdeveloped and largely unnoticed album. 4 years later, barely into adulthood, she has matured considerably. She sings her heart out on ballads like "I'm Cryin'" and the the Minnie Riperton cover "Lovin' You". She also gets upbeat and cheerful on the huge hit "I Love Your Smile" and funky on the high-pumping "Forever In Your Love". Though she recorded a couple more albums over the next few years, this album pretty much shows the peak of Shanice's strengths, although she did make a memorable contribution in 1992 to the soundtrack of the popular teen TV drama "Beverly Hills 90210".

5.0 out of 5 stars Original Diva.....show em how it's done!, December 21, 2009
This review is from: Inner Child (Audio CD)
I can't say enough about this album except that it is a must have! I believe I was 11 years old when this came out in Dec. 1990. I've luved it ever since. I think my favorite song on this CD is "I'm Cryin" because it showcases a voice that is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!! I luv her to death, but Beyonce' could learn something here. Shanice Wilson ain't no joke!!!! I wish she was promoted and showcased as the DIVA she is. I truly say this is in any true R&B luver's collection. It's timeless! 100% GREAT!

5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID; A TRUE TREASURE., September 28, 2002
Buka X (Newark, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inner Child (Audio CD)
Shanice's "Inner Child" is a solid work from beginning to end. She comes hard with strong vocals, as well as strong songs. These songs don't just entertain, they inspire and convey a message. "Inner Child" just doesn't have songs dealing with love like "Forever In Your Love," it has songs that encourage people to have hope for a better world. Check out the song, "Peace In The World."
Shanice's "Inner Child" is definitely a must-buy. Again, it is a true treasure; make it a part of your collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Inner Child
Inner Child by Shanice (Audio CD - 1991)