‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and powerful peak performance book, December 7, 2009
This review is from: Inner Excellence: Achieve Extraordinary Business Success through Mental Toughness (Hardcover)
As a business psychologist I've done a lot of reading on the psychology of peak performance. This book stands out because of the author's unique background and perspective. An athlete himself and performance coach to athletes ranging from inner city youth to professional athletes, his experience is based on real world results.

Unlike many areas in which we strive to be successful, sports have clearly defined metrics of success. You win or you lose. And if you lose it's often by a matter of fractions of seconds. The fact that he's helped athletes win in highly competitive sports captured my attention.

Athletes train for years, perhaps their whole lives, to win in their sports, and when they are "on" the pressure is certainly on... to a level that most of us have never experienced.

What are these athletes doing to get in the zone and perform at their best despite INTENSE pressure?

I was pleased to see that the author answered this question-- what they do, he explains, is build up their mental toughness, before, during, and after their athletic performances.

With many engaging examples and discussions, he boils the how (to build mental toughness) down to 3 main points and shares specific ways to develop each.

Peak performers of all types:

1) Are aligned with what's most important to them (which ironically is NOT the outcome of the performance).
2) Have winning routines and ways to manage their anxiety and energy
3) Know how to be poised, fully present, and focused in the moment

In today's economy, mental toughness is of paramount importance. It is easy for stress and anxiety to take over, making us less confident and unfocused, and preventing us from performing at our best. This book is particularly relevant today yet the skills are timeless. I can imagine using the same skills 20 years from now.

If you're interested in learning how to have more poise and less mental stress, even in high pressure performance situations, I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing and applicable tool for everyone, January 30, 2010
Inner Excellence, by Jim Murphy, is an extremely powerful book and it is the best "performance" book I have ever read. What's so great about Inner Excellence is that it's applicable to absolutely everyone. Not only can athletes or business people greatly benefit from Jim's teachings, but so too can anyone else who wants to live an amazing and fullfilling life.

Jim has acquired a wealth of knowledge and experience throughout his life and he's sharing it all with us in this book. Jim's countless testimonials and success stories from all walks of life show that his performance techniques can help not just proven professional athletes but anyone else with passion for what they do.

I already have and will continue to refer to Jim's performance techniques in this book to help me in all aspects of my life.

Thanks Jim for sharing your amazing expertise.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Gem for your Library, February 19, 2010
This book is a gem for anyone who desires to achieve excellence in his/her life.
While reading the book I feel really connected to what the author is sharing.
I have not been able to put the book down!
The information in this book is clear, concise, and direct.
This book can assist anyone from Business to Personal life.
You will enjoy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful book to help you get your life on track, both personally and professionally., June 9, 2010
It is easy in this day to blend in, go with the flow, but often we find that we lose ourselves along the way. In reading this book, I came to realize that I had lost my way over the past few years in my professional life. As a Distribution/Logistics professional who has been in the industry for 24+ years, I look forward to implementing these concepts into my life. The principles that Jim teaches in this book are amazing. They are simple rules that create a mindset for success. I have only had the book for less than a week and I have already read it twice. I look forward to sharing it with my teenage children, to begin to prepare them as well.

As with all development, we need to be able to look in the mirror and be honest with ourselves. Inner Excellence will guide you through the process to transform your life.

David Eckhaus--- Tacoma, WA

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Mental Toughness Book, February 7, 2010
Kyla Inaba (Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
Inner excellence is a motivating and inspiring mental toughness book. As an elite athlete I found Inner Excellence to be extremely helpful in my mental training. Murphy touches on many important aspects of success, one of the biggest being how to live a more fulfilled life. Murphy's perspective on how to live in the moment and have poise under pressure is refreshing and powerful. Inner Excellence has greatly impacted my way of life, and I can sincerely say that it has changed the way I think about the universe.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking to achieve extraordinary experiences on a regular basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars A skeptic, now a convert, September 26, 2010
I started this book as a skeptic and finished it as a believer. Generally, I don't buy "self-help" books. I am glad I did. Mixing the latest in cognitive theory with doses of Buddhism and Stoic philosophy,the book outlines key beliefs for mental toughness:you can't control what happens, only your reaction to it(I recall that Admiral Stockdale remarked that this Stoic idea helped him survive as a POW);disengage from the outcome, and concern yourself with the moment(thinking about fielding a ground ball means a possible bobble as opposed to just doing it); show humility(his interviews of Navy Seals on this point is very illuminating;they go into life and death situations not with bravdo(which can get you killed) but with humility againt a tough and determined foe which translates to an informed approach and survivial. A worthwhile read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great communicator, December 20, 2009
This was excellent. There are great concepts and real- world examples that bring his points across. It is communicated in such a fantastic way that only a master of the science could do. This could be a great manual for any athlete, but most importantly any person. It's worked for me. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars worth your time, May 3, 2010
In his second book, Inner Excellence, Murphy introduces the reader to a way of living that goes well beyond winning, well beyond what we might consider "success" in this results-oriented culture. He connects what I think is our greatest desire - to live an extraordinary life - with three values that every human has - love, wisdom and courage. Increasingly leading with our heart (love), expanding our vision (wisdom) and being fully present (courage) encompass a way of life that leads to excellence - excellence that begins within and "leaks out" into an extraordinary life. Having spent numerous hours discussing excellence with Jim, I can tell you that the wisdom he has to offer in Inner Excellence is the kind of wisdom that's worth your time! It was worth mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece!, May 10, 2010
An incredible depiction of what every person is capable of with only the training and insight Jim Murphy provides! Inner Excellence is a book that inspires, but more importantly lays the foundation for how to achieve extraordinarily while living a fullness of life. Inner Excellence separates itself from other related books by providing the framework that the elite athletes and business professionals possess while the rest of us crave. To train the mind is of somewhat a no brainier, but for some reason, it is never taught nor practiced. Jim unveils how the untrained mind works and what obstacles one must hurdle to gain full mastery of the mind. Inner Excellence is a life changing book that will truly bring out the inner excellence in all that read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Book I will refer to for the rest of my life., August 5, 2013
If you are looking for a comprehensive approach to how to live an extraordinary life, beyond motivational cliches and methods, then get this book and work through it slowly. Although this book is a deep philosophy of life, it swings between the practical and the philosophical and thrown in for good measure are some outstanding quotes to inspire you. Action and contemplation, are woven through the fabric of this book. The model presented is simple to understand, but behind that simplicity lies, genius.

This book is a comprehensive manual to an inside out approach to one's whole life whether you are an athlete, entrepreneur or just trying to reach out for an extraordinary life . You will find every sentence in this book is precise and rich with meaning. Make sure you read Jim Murphy's presuppositions which guide the whole shape of the book. My hard copy which was a gift to me, is underlined and getting worn out as, I carry it so I can catch a few pieces of wisdom when I am on the road. I now also have the Kindle edition, so I can send quotes from it to my friends and followers on Facebook.

This book is a great start for a journey of change. As a coach and speaker myself, I sought out the author, to familiarize myself with his philosophy and understanding. I now recommend this book to every one of my clients, and if you go to my facebook page you will be inundated with quotes from this book. This book is less about results, and more about being a certain kind of person and living a certain way. A way that results in a life of abundance and joy as you approach your life with courage , wisdom and love. I cannot say enough good things, about this carefully crafted book of wisdom. Don't just buy one copy, buy a few and give out to your friends. They will thank you till the end of their days.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›