5.0 out of 5 stars a must have book, January 11, 2010
This review is from: Inner Productivity: A Mindful Path to Efficiency and Enjoyment in Your Work (Paperback)
inner productivity is one of those rare books that comes along every so often. I have read numerous books on procrastination , visualization and inner critic relief. The techniques and methods for calming the mind presented in these books could fill a notebook. One method always presented is deep breathing. I have in the past tried it but never stuck with it. Chrises book however made such a compelling and logical arguement as to why it works i gave it a shot for a week. I can now see his point . There are no magic methods, secret pills or mantras that can make a person relax and stop procrastinating. The power comes when a person can be at ease with their fears that are making them procrastinate. The only way to do this is by breathing and staying with our fear till it goes away which it does. I highly recommend this book especially for the self help junkies. This book may finally put an end to your visit to the self help section of the bookstore.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read for all who seek productivity and enjoyment in their work!, December 5, 2009
In search of how to harness your inner productivity and get enjoyment while you work? Then look no further than Chris Edgar's visionary book, Inner Productivity: A Mindful Path to Efficiency and Enjoyment in your Work. This book will change the way you perceive something that all people want, getting enjoyment in our work. Whether it be in the workplace setting, performing household chores, or something as routine as checking e-mail, Chris Edgar's book draws from his life coaching background and experiences to guide you through a simple, yet effective process on the pathway to success.

The book provides excellent exercises that help cultivate how to be at your best emotional or mental state to attain inner productivity. The book's three basic elements for inner productivity are: Attention, Intention, and Foundation. He aptly discusses a tactic of deeply breathing and focusing on your sensations as a way to return your attention to the present moment and take your mind out of worries about the past and future that may be hindering your ability to produce and enjoy the present moment.

One aspect that powerfully resonated with me was his discussion of being aware of reality and our inner experience of it. It made me realize that my thoughts of forcing myself to work or thoughts of inadequacy were hindering my progress. I was holding myself back. I did not have to equate my reality with how I was feeling discomfort or thoughts of inadequacy inside while working. His book helped me realize I can choose to focus on working in the moment and try to enjoy that moment more without listening to the critical voices in my head or allowing some of my inner experiences to hinder my ability to produce. Clear out your inner baggage holding you back from getting enjoyment in your work and pick up a copy Chris Edgar's insightful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Changed My Life!, December 16, 2009
I LOVE this book!!!

I'm a singer and my stage-fright is totally gone because of "Inner Productivity."

What a must-have for anyone who wants to be happy -- not only in work situations, which the book leans towards -- but in all aspects of our lives.

And we all want to be happy, right?!

Inner Productivity is not about organizing our desks, color-coding our post-it notes, or turning off our e-mail to be more productive.

It's about reorganizing our hearts and minds!

It's about becoming aware of our perception of things.

It's about noticing our patterns of thinking and feeling that tend come up when our less-than-desirable work habits surface.

It's about trusting our innate wisdom.

It's about going for our dreams.

Seriously?

Seriously!!

Yes, like everything -- it's really all inside.

yes, it's all about the mind-body connection Chris shows us how to make work for us.

I cannot recommend this most pleasant and well-organized read highly enough. I have already bought copies for two friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped Me Get Back to Work, June 21, 2012
S. Varela (Tucson, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This book has been a wonderful tool. I found it after I got tired of experiencing guilt and shame from not doing as much work as I should and I had too many nights where I couldn't sleep because I worried about all the things I didn't do that I definitely had time to do (before I wasted it on mind-numbing distractions).

Other books on productivity offer more generic advice. They'll tell you to elimiate your distractions, clean your desk, have a to do list, and a good workflow system. I had already implemented these things. The problem was that I couldn't bring myself to actually do what I needed to. Mr. Edgar, however, does what the other books don't. He goes into why we respond the way we do when we get the urge to procrasitnate. Why is it sometimes physically uncomfortable to sit quietly witout distractions?

The exercises in the book have helped me focus my attention and awareness when I feel like playing solitaire or IMing with friends. I recommend this book before any other book on productivity I've ever read. When I put his words into practice, I find that I'm more productive and tend to enter the "flow" state described by Mihalyi Csikszentmihalyi in his book. At the risk of sounding corny, I feel happier when I do what I set out to do. It's easier to leave my work at the office and not bring any of the stress home.

I re-read sections of this book as necessary to keep me on track. I recommend this book for anyone who has ever wasted time on the Internet knowing they had other things they needed to do. This will help you see why you do that and how to change.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book with integrity and wisdom, January 6, 2010
Inner Productivity: a Mindful Path to Efficiency and Enjoyment in Your Work...by Christopher Edgar
Of [...]
Chris Edgar is a life coach and former lawyer. He writes good posts on his blog and he writes great comments on others blogs
My goal is to inspire people to be the best they can be in living this life. One of my sub-goals is to read all the books written by the career and life coaches who make comments on Blogging Without a Blog this is a good community base to work from, and the commenters are full of integrity and truths. This is where I met Chris Edgar the blogger.
This book was also suggested for my reading by several other bloggers.

I do not enter a relationship with a "self help" style book without picking a topic within myself that I wish to work on and in this case I picked my bubbling up and over anger at the Federal Reserve and the Greedy folks who have messed with the economy and my personal financial plans and goals. The anger is spilling out as a hot button for me.

My first delight with the book was that it was available on my KINDLE II. This is a high priority for me and I do not have to dust this book on a book shelf, worry about trees, or give it away. I can reference it at any time and check on my notes and highlights forever - and did I mention I do not have to dust this book ever?

I began reading this book on the train - it was easy to read and had a generous and calming flow. I had heard that it was not about rearranging your desk or making neat and tidy color coded charts and graphs, and I found this to be true. I liked this book more and more. I do so much data entry now and when it comes to money and anger, I did not want to color code anything on that front -I was already red hot!

The outline/format of the book was delightful. I never felt slammed or dunked or pushed; rather there was a flow of idea, anecdote, adaptive thinking, illustration of point and an exercise to keep you on the pathway to your own story and keep one focused on their own needs.

The quotes to begin sections and within the book added to one's thinking and self-assessment and were truly relevant to the progress. This is no easy feat.

I added numerous authors and books to my reading list because the placement of the references intrigued me to want to know more....and it would be okay not to pursue them, because they were true to the next exercise or concept being discussed. They were never just dropped in to be impressive or meet some kind of quota.

The big finish was quite a surprise and the most metaphysical exercise of the book really did open up the why of my anger and release the venom. It is only the beginning of resolution for me.

I highly recommend this book for the distracted, the folks who dislike their work or work environment, for those with writer's block and for those who need clarity in their actions. I liked that Chris' book did what it set out to do and that I could successfully use it to find resolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only 'work' productivity!, August 31, 2010
I think Chris is underselling when he says "This book is about cultivating what I call inner productivity -- the mental and emotional state that allows you to get the most done and find the most enjoyment in your work" because this book is not only relevant to our working life, but to everything we do.

For me the book is a peek inside myself and full of practical exercises and mini case studies drawn from his work as a coach. He cleverly bridges hard business ideas about productivity to spiritual and other ways of working with our inner world. Don't read this book:

... if you're looking for tips and techniques

... want a light read

... hope to get to know Chris better.

It's an holistic look at what makes us tick - physical, emotional, intellectual dimensions. If you're looking for a `How To' book this is not the book for you.

It's about noticing how you approach the world - without fighting it or running away from it - just being with it. That doesn't always make for an easy, light read as for many of us it involves facing some things we'd rather keep hidden. Chris always gives the reader the choice to look or not - there's not a hint of preaching and he has a gentle touch.

I had the idea I was listening in on Chris rather than that he was talking to me. Like many good coaches he keeps some distance - I didn't get the idea I knew Chris any better after reading the book. Some people might not enjoy that style, and miss a more intimate connection with the author. I personally enjoyed it as it gave me freedom to decide what to listen to and what not.

In conclusion. I enjoyed it, got a lot out of it and many things stay with me days after reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful advice, February 12, 2010
This book directly addressed some issues that I have been having with my feelings about work and equipped me with tools to address those conflicts.

Inner Productivity: A Mindful Path to Efficiency and Enjoyment in Your Work
Inner Productivity: A Mindful Path to Efficiency and Enjoyment in Your Work by Christopher R. Edgar (Paperback - September 14, 2009)
$14.95 $12.45