5.0 out of 5 stars Super western explanations for esoteric Hindu concepts
That Dr. Frawley (Vamadeva) comes from the lineage of the widely respected Ramana Maharsi is a plus for me. And when I learned that he was originally raised a Catholic I knew that he has also grappled with Western theology.
Published on January 2, 2009 by Emilie A. Gosline

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book that really stood out to me.
Published 9 months ago by Paully

5.0 out of 5 stars Super western explanations for esoteric Hindu concepts, January 2, 2009
Emilie A. Gosline (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inner Tantric Yoga: Working with the Universal Shakti: Secrets of Mantras, Deities, and Meditation (Paperback)
The soul, God and the angels all have counterpart Sanskrit meanings and he explains why there is a great pantheon of gods and goddesses which are really part of Shiva, another name for the One who is beyond all conceptions.
What I really liked were the sections about the seventh element (yes, there are more than five, although it could also be a seventh and final plane to me because it fits in with Vianna Stibal's Theta Healing concepts), advice about the safe ways to raise the Kundalini, why Rudra is beyond all duality, the explanation for the terrible Chhinnamasta, (who cut off her own head) and the concise meanings of all the related mantras for the various aspects of Shakti. He also gives the best description I have ever found for the Hridaya chakra, sometimes known as the eight-petaled secret chamber of the heart. I had already spent a great amount of time searching on the internet regarding this.
If there is any fault with the book, I would have liked a little more about how to pronounce certain Sanskrit syllables, such as the difference between the long A, I and E.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Usefull Book, December 17, 2009
Sivakumar Patibanda (Pleasanton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful book for anyone who is taking his/her first steps on the tantric path of yoga. I enjoyed reading this book. It filled the gaps in my knowledge, and clarified doubts. It provided the rationale behind some of the common tantric practices. As a Hindu, I was reassured that the concepts that I grew up with are valid. Dr Frawleys book provides insights in to deeper aspects of tantric devotion. The author dwells in considerable detail on various facets of Shaktis and thus provides the serious practitioner with enough content to begin earnest worship. This book clearly shows that "Shakti" worship can ultimately lead to non duality.
Inner Tantric Yoga: Working with the Universal Shakti: Secrets of Mantras, Deities, and Meditation by David Frawley is an indispensable volume for collection on Tantra.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW....What a find!!!, January 24, 2011
Mycroft (Rio Linda, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
I've read dozens of tantric books. I practiced tantric yoga for 30 yrs. This book is simple, clear & direct. One of the best book I've read.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL AND REALLY HELPFUL MESSAGE, December 26, 2011
Pauline (Miami, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I have seen in Dr. David Frawley a very serious, profound and clear writer.
In this book even more good things can be added! Poetry, inspiring and beautyl!
I use to highlight good ideas in the books a read. In this book almost every word deserves to be highlighted!
I hope many people could have the opportunity to read Dr. Frawley!
Thanks Dr Frawley!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing teachings, September 11, 2012
Absolutely love his work.
Clearly explaining what Tantra really is all about.
Anyone wanting to travel on a dedicated spiritual path should read this book.
So much information given in a simple and wonderful way.
Have it in paper, on Kindle... never get tired of reading back through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars New edition of Kindle edition?, July 17, 2013
Krazyshaman (Hoboken, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
Can anyone tell me if the Kindle edition of this book has been corrected? The version I purchased in 2011 had all the "special characters" in the mantras corrupted! :-(

None-the-less, truly an excellent book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, October 30, 2010
There are few people who can write with authority about this topic - and Dr. Frawley is one of them.

This is a truly excellent book. It always inspires me and I like to keep it around. It seems to carry the essence of Devata with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book that really stood out to me., September 21, 2013
If you are the type of person who has read many books on the subject of tantra or been exposed to genuine tantra as relayed from a qualified teacher I don't think this particular book will really stand out as presenting anything from a new perspective .Although a few mantras are presented along with a couple of yantras the book seems to lack an instructional nature as implied by its title - "Working with The Universal Shakti : Secrets of Mantras , Dieties and Meditation" . Although it does go into a decent explanation of some tantric concepts, some of the classifications of and meditations upon the different forms of shakti seem more psychological in nature . Tantra is not just constantly repeating mantras and staring at a yantra . There is much more to the practice than meets the eye.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written But Informative, November 16, 2013
I first learned of Dr. David Frawley a few decades ago, when I attended a presentation of his on Ayurveda. But I never read any of his writings until a student of mine sent me some interesting excerpts from "Inner Tantric Yoga" a few days ago. The excerpts inspired me to purchase the text, which I will now proceed to review.

This book has some real positives. The author, Dr. David Frawley, an Ayurvedic physician, is a long-time serious student and practitioner of Hindu Yoga. He has a great deal of knowledge about the Yoga tradition, and a newbie to yoga and/or tantrism will learn a great deal about Tantric Yoga. But for me, the book's negatives equal or outweigh its positives. I am a long-time expert in Tantric Yoga, and I found myself continuously cringing at Dr. Frawley's prose. Frawley is not a coherent thinker-communicator, and has an affinity for ambiguity and contradictions. I have pages and pages of notes that detail my unhappiness with the material in this book. But because this is just a book review and not a book, I will have to limit my critique to several paragraphs.

First off, Dr. Frawley informs us "there is but one power in the universe, which is a power of light and consciousness called `Shakti' in Sankrit." But then he pluralizes `Shakti," and describes multiple `Shaktis', or `Divine' energies.' `Shaktis' should not be capitalized when one talks about stepped-down, cosmic energies (such as pranic energies) that derive from Shakti, the only Divine Power, or Energy, in the universe. Frawley contradicts himself when he sometimes describes Shakti as `Divine' and at other times as `cosmic.' The one Shakti from which all lesser shaktis (or stepped-down) energies derive is `Divine' (meaning its stems from the timeless, spaceless Godhead), and `cosmic' pertains to the temporal-spatial universe; but Frawley fails to make the important distinction between `Divine' and `cosmic,' and sloppily conflates the two.

Dr. Frawley devotes considerable space to the subject of worship of Devatas (personal forms of deities, such as Kali, Durga, and Sundari), but again errs when he writes, "Deity yoga involves working with Divine powers." No it doesn't. There is only one Divine Power, and Deity yoga is simply a means of connecting to this single formless Power through devotion to a particular form.

Here are some examples of poor writing by Dr. Frawley: "Your True self is the pure light of awareness beyond body and mind." No, your True self is awareness itself, and the pure light is its radiant nature. Dr. Frawley writes: "This is our initial encounter with Shakti, which is the energy of awakening streaming down from the higher planes. These energies typically take the forms of deities ..." Firstly, Dr. Frawley never again mentions or elaborates on these"higher planes." Previously, he stated that Divine Shakti was the power of light and consciousness, and now it is energy filtered through higher planes. Secondly, in the next sentence `energy' inexplicably becomes `energies.' And unbeknownst to Dr. Frawley, these energies do not take the forms of deities. Deities do not exist in nature; they are just man-made representations of particular energies.

A final example of Frawley's poor writing: "Shakti is the power of inner peace that becomes a channel for the cosmic powers of the greater universe of consciousness and bliss to flow into us." If I were his editior, I'd rewrite it: Shakti is the Power of the Divine Presence, and when we connect to the Divine Presence, we channel its Power, or Shakti, as Bliss-full Light-Energy.

Dr. Frawley writes: "The formless Self or Brahman cannot be a goal in any practical way because it is beyond time and space, cause and effect." Yet elsewhere he enjoins us to "be you Self" and to "assert your true universal Self." But he doesn't tell us how to be it or assert it. Frawley's book is teeming with innumable meditation methods, but what's missing is a description of the single, radical (gone-to-the-root) method for directly and immediately plugging into the Divine Being and channeling Its Power, or Shakti. I teach this method, which I call Plugged-in Presence, and if Frawley himself had "cracked the cosmic egg," he'd also teach a similar-type integral method (which teaches one how to be the Self) rather than a slew of lesser practices.

A recurrent complaint of mine in my (140 and counting) Amazon reviews of spiritual books is the failure of most of these books to consider the subject of esoteric spiritual anatomy. But I'm happy to say that this isn't a problem with this book; Frawley, in fact, presents some deep and interesting material on the interrelationship among the spiritual heart (hridaya, not anahata), the sahasrar, and the other chakras.

In sum, this is a poorly written book that covers a lot of ground regarding Hindu Tantric Yoga. It provides a good deal of information, but suffers from inaccuracies and superficiality (except for the chapters on esoteric anatomy). I would like to give this book four stars, but the writing is so bad, I can only, in good conscience, give it three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tantra Yoga, Inner Balance, July 9, 2014
Excellent information to broaden one's perception of tantra and yoga and their usefulness in one's life.

$19.95 $16.36