5.0 out of 5 stars Get the Deluxe
Published on February 13, 2009 by Christopher Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad.
This album is pretty good. I am really starting to enjoy chritian rock and hard rock. I liked a few songs from Red's first CD, END OF SILENCE. Red sounds different which puts them on top of some other christian rock bands which all sound the same. Red, Skillet, and Day of Fire are my favorite bands.

This CD is extremely deep and the lyrics are amazing. The only...
Published on February 16, 2009 by Mdzimmer59

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the Deluxe, February 13, 2009
This review is from: Innocence & Instinct (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
End of Silence received a lot of attenntion because it was a decent album. Innocence and Instinct should receive even more; this album shows a great deal of maturity in Red's music. The strings that are utilized throughout the entire album don't merely feel like they were placed over the music, (like it did in EOS) but it feels like it was integrated with the rest of the music, often matching the intensity of the emotionally packed vocals. When listening to the album you instantly know when a song changes because each song has it's own sound, but at the same time the entire album has a certain flow to it. Highly reccomended. 4.5/5 Stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Innocence and Instinct Deluxe Edition., April 5, 2009
This review is from: Innocence & Instinct (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
First of all, I'm reviewing the extras that come with the deluxe edition moreso than the music, because I'm assuming people want to know exactly what they're getting by paying the extra money.

I picked up this cd shortly after it came out and sprung for the deluxe edition because I was interested in seeing the "making of" documentary. The packaging was a little misleading in the sense that I felt I was getting a lot more than actually exists on the DVD. What exactly does the deluxe edition include?

CD
-Innocence and Instinct album
-3 bonus tracks at the end of the album (the last of which is an alternate version of "Fight Inside")
-Bonus intro track

DVD
-"Making of" documentary
-Music video for the single "Death of Me"
-"Making of Death of Me" video
-Photo Gallery

While it all sounds great, there really isn't a whole lot there. The documentary barely scratches the surface of the writing and recording process and runs under 10 minutes. Death of Me's "making of" is also short, but it does its job and didn't leave anything out as far as I could tell. Also, the photo gallery clocked in at just under a minute, so don't get too excited about that. I was able to watch everything included on the DVD in about 20 minutes.

Innocence and Instinct is another solid album from Red, but as I stated before, I'm not going to go into much detail about the music since it's been covered pretty well by other reviewers already. What I will say is that this is definitely a more mature and refined effort than Red's debut album, but it too has its bleak spots where nothing too exciting seems to be going on. Highlights for me include Fight Inside, Death of Me, Shadows, and Take it All Away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome second album... Will be as often-played as the first one!, February 10, 2009
This review is from: Innocence & Instinct (Audio CD)
First off, the 5-stars + my title give you a quick preview.

For people who've heard the first album, this album is very much like the first in style. The lyrics are as well written, the riffs are still heavy and satisfying, and everything about this album will scream Red at you. However, from the intro all the way till the end, the first album beats this one by a narrow margin. Songs like Fight Inside, Never Be the Same, Shadows, and Death of Me are probably the songs that stand out the most to me right now. The couple of songs in between will need to grow onto me eventually.

For people who haven't heard the first effort, Red's style is best described as melodic modern rock. The songs run the mix from displaying hard and heavy headbang-inducing riffs (Death of Me, Fight Inside) to softer, chill-at-night 'ballads' if I must (Take It All Away, the cover of Ordinary World). Don't expect any soloing, this band is all about well-written lyrics that convey a very positive message, and well-executed vocals from both the lead + backup vocalists. Overall, I think the style can be likened to a cross between 10 Years (melodic) and Pillar (hard and heavy).

Probably one of the strongest bands out there that you haven't heard of. I strongly suggest getting the first album if you haven't yet. That said, I think this album merits as much play as my copy of the first has gotten over the last 2 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars...The Next Step, March 8, 2009
Eric Wilson "author" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Innocence & Instinct (Audio CD)
Red burst onto the scene a few years back with "End of Silence," a hard-rockin', atmospheric debut. On first listen, it reminded me of some Linkin Park (a band I used to really like), but more listens revealed EOS to be a textured album with a personality of its own.

With "Innocence and Instinct," Red takes the next step musically and lyrically, drawing listeners along for a passionate and deep-thinking journey. The vocals are emotionally-charged, the music sometimes restrained (such as in "Take It All Away") and other times blasting (as in "Death of Me"). For the moment, "Shadows" is my favorite tune, but I suspect that will change as I keep listening.

Red shows once again that they are willing to hold their ground spiritually, while never compromising quality or passion. They are poised to continue reaching far beyond their market with songs that touch on real issues in realistic yet hopeful ways. As a novelist, I feel like we're on parallel paths in our approach, intent, and style. I've been listening to this CD while writing my latest book, and feel inspired by its energy.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME songs by an AWESOME band!, February 10, 2009
This review is from: Innocence & Instinct (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
WOW, is all I have to say. I have been waiting for this album since it was announced, and I had the same or greater expectations as I experienced with End of Silence because this is such a great band. Right when they released the singles "Fight Inside", and "Never Be The Same", I knew automatically that it was going to be a great album, but I'm amazed at how they kept the same style of music they had before, but tweaked it a little. This album is just as addicting as the other, and I am very happy with my purchase and will be listening to these songs constantly until the release of their next album :). Definitely get the deluxe edition cd, as it's well worth the extra bucks. You won't be dissapointed if you were a Red fan before, and definitely not if you just discovered this band!

4.0 out of 5 stars Seeing Red Again., March 19, 2009
This review is from: Innocence & Instinct (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
With RED's 2006 debut album, "End of Silence," generating buzz on modern rock radio and landing the band spots on high profile tours, it seems only natural that their follow-up would be met with heavy fanfare and charting success. "Innocence & Instinct" managed to do what few hard rock bands can do in it's first week out: break the top 20 of the Billboard chart. So how does the sophmore effort for the up-and-coming, soon-to-be-everywhere band hold up?

Well, to be honest, it's more or less the same as "The End Of Silence." Sonically, at least, it's a continuation of that sound, with slighlty improved songwriting. The same dramatic tone that ruled the first album is also in full effect here, strings and all. The first singles "Fight Inside," and "Never Be The Same" unfortunately don't have the instant appeal that "Breathe Into Me" had, coming across almost like a male-fronted Evanescence, but are rewarded by repeat listenings. "Confession (What's Inside My Head)" and "Shadows," on the other hand, deliver the modern-rock goods, and will no doubt please fans of the band's catchier material. It's worth noting that "Shadows" was co-written by Breaking Benjamin frontman Ben Burley, and it stands out as not only the heaviest track of the album, but also a fine change of pace for an album that more or less stays on a linear path. The final track, "Out From Under" as well as the latest single, "Death Of Me," are the prime cuts here, the perfect happy medium that can be found in RED's often over-complicated sound.

As far as second albums go, this one is a solid entry in RED's career. It will no doubt have it's day in the sun as far as radio success goes, and fans of the first will no doubt dig it. Surely, their sound could use a little more variety and they would do well to expand on the things they are good at (catchy hard-rock) and ditch that which they are lagging in (over-dramatic sap) but "Innocence & Instinct" is an otherwise fine album, primed for success and listenable to anyone who loves a good rock band. The Deluxe Edition features four bonus songs that help pad out the album, as well as a DVD, featuring a music video and behind the scene footage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red...hot, May 31, 2010
This review is from: Innocence & Instinct (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
My church girl friends ranted to me about this band...so I decided to check it out. Though not about this specific album, it was the first one by Red I listened to.

I really like it a lot...I actually read my Bible and write poetry while listening to it. :) I wouldn't go so far as to say they're extremely Christian...I have a hard time saying that about any band. I.E. Creed, Kutless, Flyleaf, Thousand Foot Krutch, Skillet, Fuel...etc. But I know there's morals in it, and that gives it more credit than other bands.

I really like music that has a point, lyrically, and instrumentally. I absolutely LOVE the classical music influence along with some good old fashioned screamo. ;)

There's something like a conscience to this music...it's amazing. They capture every emotion of being religiously (no pun intended) set against the grain. The feeling and emotion is really plainly there. I think my favorite song for reflecting on my thoughts is "Nothing and Everything" which is the acoustic version of "Fight Inside". I also really love "Shadows". All the songs really reflect on the constant struggle between good and evil, the sacred and the profane, the moral man and the immoral man, the society with a conscience and the world without law. There is always a conclusion...there is good and there is evil... They really stated it in "Shadows" the lyrics go, "There's a hate inside of me like some kind of master." In the end, anyone who strives to be better fights emotions, and Red really captures the struggle, the strife, and the chaos beautifully.

It's amazing...and I'm glad I listened to my girl friends...

4.0 out of 5 stars RED-Great Spiritual Hard Rock, April 1, 2009
This review is from: Innocence & Instinct (Audio CD)
I saw RED last year 08 as the opening act for a Nation Wide tour that Thrid Day, Switchfoot and Jars of Clay were doing, and that was the first time i was exposed to their music....the arena was quite empty when RED starting playing because almost everyone was out and about including me...but after a few seconds of listening to their sound i and a whole slew of people rushed back to our seats to see this band...wow!! Even though they only played 3 songs, they really rocked!!!
I was hooked from then on...Their first CD was and is great, and this their second CD is definetly a very good CD.
I agree with one of my fellow reviewers...if you are not one that likes the yelling then a couple of their songs might turn you off a little...i am one that doesnt really like the yelling but because this cd is not all about the yelling i really enjoy it...Great lyrics, great music. RED will definetly be a band that will only just get better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cd, April 3, 2009
This review is from: Innocence & Instinct (Audio CD)
I bought this cd used from a friend who recommended it to me...I wasn't so sure about RED at first, them being a rather heavy band. I heard the song Never Be the Same on the radio and loved it, so I thought I would give it a try.
I'm so glad I did! The music and harmonies on this album are absolutely stunning! The songs that catch my ear the most are Start Again and Ordinary World...they are beautiful songs and I can listen to them over and over again.
My reason for only four stars is the little bit of hard-rock screaming on a couple of the songs. Without the screaming, this cd would be ranked as one of my all-time favorites. With the screaming, it is still amazing, but a little anoying at times.
If you like bands like Skillet and Kutless, you will like RED and their new cd, Innocence & Instinct.

5.0 out of 5 stars RED Innocence and Instinct DELUXE, November 5, 2009
This review is from: Innocence & Instinct (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
Red's new album Innocence and Instinct is my most favorite recording of all time. The passion in their voices, the strings and piano, the rocking guitar and best of all--the intense screams--are just incredible. The leader singer has really stepped up his game and polished his voice. While End of Silence was full of emotion, at times, the band tended to sound whiny. This CD is not whiny in the least--rest assured. If you don't like bands full of intensity and singing about the struggles of daily life, then pass this one on. The issues are real, as is fervor. There is much more substance behind this, their second album. Spring for the Deluxe version--it is so worth it. On a side note, seeing the band live is phenomenal. They put on a great show!

Innocence & Instinct (CD/DVD)
Innocence & Instinct (CD/DVD) by Red (Audio CD - 2009)