4.0 out of 5 stars A subjective review for the uninitiated
In reading the first three reviews of this c.d., it appears that those reviewers are Marilyn Scott aficionados, or at least ones familiar with this artist. OTOH, this is my 162nd review of a singer's c.d. for Ammy, but prior to listening to this, I was unfamiliar with Ms. Scott. So, I write from that perspective:

This c.d. is somewhat of a polyglot of styles,...
Published on August 3, 2006 by Rick Cornell

3.0 out of 5 stars This probably won't appeal to Marilyn Scott's jazz fans
Published on June 6, 2006 by Steve Emerine

4.0 out of 5 stars A subjective review for the uninitiated, August 3, 2006
This review is from: Innocent Of Nothing (Audio CD)

This c.d. is somewhat of a polyglot of styles, but with primarily "cool jazz" instrumentation. There are 7 originals and 3 covers.

I'm not one who is necessarily predisposed towards covers. In recent times I have given enthusiastic reviews to c.d.'s by Rene Marie, Erin Bode and Jackie Allen, and my enthusiasm has been aimed as much at the originals as the covers, if not more.

But here, I think clearly the best two cuts are the covers of Monk's "Round Midnight", arguably the finest original jazz ballad ever written, and Dylan's "It's Alright, Ma." "Midnight" has the most interesting instrumental arrangement on the disc, and "Ma" has all the power and anger of the Dylan original with the electric power of the band to boot. If the rest of this c.d. were as good as these two cuts, I'd give this 5 stars unhesitatingly. Ms. Scott has a most worthy voice for jazz, a strong straight tone with very little vibrato, and she sings with admirable expression.

But, my subjective opinion--and it is truly subjective, I'll admit--is that the originals here don't measure up to the covers. "Moods" (track 5), which has the "Innocent of Nothing" line, is probably the best of the originals, and "Icebox" (track 3) isn't bad; but they don't move me like the two aforementioned covers.

Apparently, this c.d. has hit enough cross-over markets that it's selling pretty well. Hurrah. I'm solidly in favor of jazz musicians selling a lot of c.d.'s. But if I knew then what I know now, I would have waited until this one hits the bargain bin before purchasing. And I'd take the one reviewer below's word, that this is not the best of Ms. Scott's c.d.'s, on faith. RC

5.0 out of 5 stars : Classic Marilyn With a Twist, June 8, 2006
Don't Worry The Jazz Fans Love it

With this CD Marilyn's choice of material has become more diverse but this is classic Marilyn. As always she is constantly evolving, learning, observing and feeling life around her and this is conveyed in her songwriting. If you want Jazz! Round Midnight and Spring Will Really Hang You up! two Jazz Standards plus "A Flame" a song celebrating new love it could be a jazz standard itself, co-written by Marilyn and George Duke all beautifully delivered. For the Sophisticated Soul, Round and Round, Icebox and A Change, Fit the bill. Something new, "Share It" and "Moods" interwoven with poetry. Protest ? Social Comment? Your interpretation, Bob Dylan's "It's Alright Ma", again Marilyn has the knack of plucking a song from one genre and placing her stamp on it and placing it in another, the best example "You Don't Know Me" from her Smile CD.

If you know Marilyn Scott's past work it was as she called it Sophisticated Soul and it was.

Soul with a heavy jazz tinge and lots of key changes and beautiful vocals. Then came Nightcap which garnered a whole new audience and placed her firmly in the league of top ten jazz vocalists.

"So" which is she Jazz or Soul? Answer :- Both and it's all on "Innocent of Nothing" It's a beautiful CD recorded in three days by a premier Singer, Songwriter, session vocalist who cares about the subjects of her writing. Check out her website [...]

Peter UK

3.0 out of 5 stars This probably won't appeal to Marilyn Scott's jazz fans, June 6, 2006
Steve Emerine (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Innocent Of Nothing (Audio CD)
Marilyn Scott's latest CD release is a disappointment -- not because she's lost her voice but because she's moved away from her jazz fans with the tunes she's selected. Fans of contemporary pop will probably like it. I'm sorry she abandoned her jazz audience for this effort, but I realize that members of that audience, myself included, haven't supported her earlier efforts as much as we should have. I hope she'll give us another chance by returning to jazz for her next CD. She's a talented singer and deserves more recognition than she's received in the past.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, August 13, 2006
This review is from: Innocent Of Nothing (Audio CD)
I am a newly found Marilyn Fan. I was not familiar with her previous albums and I was pleasantly supprised when I discovered Innocent of Nothing. Her smooth jazz vocals combined with great music lines were a treat. My favorite cuts were "Icebox" and "Round and Round". Innocent of Nothing, is a great buy for any jazz lover, hands down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, July 20, 2008
This review is from: Innocent Of Nothing (Audio CD)
I love this album! I've been a fan of Marilyn's from day 1 and this album delivered just like the last. Her voice is smooth and jazzy as always. My favorite track is "Round and Round". I love the lyrics and the music. This album is definitely a winner!

4.0 out of 5 stars Old standards sound great redone by Marilyn, November 15, 2006
Phil "Phil" (Mary Esther, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Innocent Of Nothing (Audio CD)
The old songs as well as the new sound awesome as always with Marilyn Scott. She is the queen of smooth jazz female vocalists in my opinion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, July 20, 2008
This review is from: Innocent Of Nothing (Audio CD)
Another great album from Marilyn Scott! Her voice never ceases to amaze me. Can't get enough of "Round and Round" and "Round Midnight."

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Vocal Jazz at its Best, August 15, 2006
This review is from: Innocent Of Nothing (Audio CD)
Marilyn Scott comes at jazz from a modern, pop-flavored direction. I first heard her with the Yellowjackets, and she has a lengthy list of credits doing studio work in the blues and contemporary "smooth jazz." Her voice is irresistible, soulfully smooth and pliant with a hint of gravel at the top of her range.

Her new CD, Innocent of Nothing, includes two standards--Thelonious Monk's "Round Midnight" placed in a somewhat overdramatic setting, and "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most," given a beautifully dynamic reading. Seven of the album's ten tracks were co-written by Scott herself--the leadoff "Round and Round," written with YJ pianist Russ Ferrante, is a standout. "Icebox," a collaboration with Ferrante and bassman Jimmy Haslip, has that contemporary funk that characterizes much of the Yellowjackets' songbook. In "The Wilderness," the singer/lyricist dreams of getting away from the city, and on "A Change," she and producer George Duke hope for better days to come.

You might not think of Bob Dylan as a jazz composer, but "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" works surprisingly well in this Jacket-like arrangement--it doesn't swing, but it grooves along on a pianistic bed complemented by tasteful electric guitar and soprano sax. And, considering the current state of the union, there is extra poignancy in her delivery of the line, "Even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked."

Though Scott's music wouldn't be considered "timeless," Innocent of Nothing presents an attractive singer with an attractive voice in a pleasant, relaxing and enjoyable setting. There's nothing wrong with that!

Originally published in Port Folio Weekly, 8/1/06.

Copyright 2006 Jim Newsom/Port Folio Weekly. All Rights Reserved. Used by Permission.

Innocent Of Nothing
Innocent Of Nothing by Marilyn Scott (Audio CD - 2008)