Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on November 6, 2011
My children love their hexbugs, but the original habitats become somewhat boring after a while, after all how many different ways can you really connect a bunch of hexagons?

Hexbug is staring to change all that though with these new sets - my kids love the multilevel aspect. There is a ramp for the hexbug to travel up and roam around on the second level. My kids get the biggest kick out of this happening. They can also use the pegs on the lower level to create obstacles for the hexbugs to maneuver around.

Like the other hexbug habitats, this one connects into other parts, so it can be part of a bigger hexbug city. Definitely a great creative addition to our set!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 24, 2011
my son loves his "buggies"! this Hive habitat is the only portable set (at the time of this review). it easily folds out to reveal a 2-level area for the nanobugs to wander. it comes with a seesaw and merry-go-rounds that secure to the bottom level of the set. it also comes with plenty of deflection pegs and gates to make their roaming patterns even more chaotic. a ramp leads up to the second level; we opened the 2 gates on that level to allow the hexbugs to fall as another way for them to return to the first level instead of relying on them to "find" the ramp. this Hive has become the core of a much bigger habitat we built with a spiral set and the elevation habitat set (see uploaded pic). super fun!
review image
on December 7, 2011
Our 6 year old had been pestering us for hex bugs for a while. Honestly, they looked kind of silly, and I hate bugs. But he got a handful of birthday money, and bought this himself.

Consider me a convert. I actually enjoy this toy almost as much as he does. It's amazing the way these little buzzing robots mime the actions of actual bugs. Watching them zip around this set, going up an down the levels, spinning in the buggy spinner's mesmerizing.

If you are wondering "are hex bugs all that", I say "yep". Our 6 year old is kind of science loving kid. But I think just about any kid would dig this.

The set itself is great, and a great way to start. We are now going to be ditching all of our bulky zhu zhu pets in favor of these smaller (and far superior) animal replication toys.
on August 19, 2011
My son has patiently waited for this hive and when it arrived he had it open in about 2 seconds's very sturdy, fun to play with and folds up with it's own carry handle to easily transport and take with you!! Recommend highly!!
on September 21, 2012
I am pleased with my purchase but not pleased with the price. After purchasing this product, I found the exact same item at Target for half the price! I had no idea that the price difference would be so great.
on March 4, 2012
This was a Christmas gift for my 5 year old and he loves it still. Definitely NOT one of those toys that gets played with once and then sits for 6 months. For the price, we get a ton of use out of this. He loves coming up with new ways to attach his other track sets, building larger "towns" for his bugs. I think the whole nano line is a great toy set, relatively inexpensive, not too many moving pieces that can be broken, and interesting enough to keep my kid occupied by himself or with someone playing with him. The hive can fold up so he can take it when we have to go visit someone, and is fun enough to play with alone, without his other sets attached. So, three months later, it is still played with pretty often and has had no breakage or problems, despite being reconfigured many, many times.
on November 25, 2011
5 year old with many hex bug sets still loved this addition to his collection. Easy to set up and to mesh with other hex bug parts.
on August 12, 2012
Got this for the grandkids: 2 1/2 and 6 and they AND their parents had lots of fun. Played with it every day, then were able to close it up in the self container and take it home. Be sure to buy extra bugs - the extra 5 pack is perfect. I cannot imagine it would be nearly as much fun with just the one it comes with. There are lots of little parts used to create bug lanes, so keep a baggy handy. The bugs were going much of the time for 3 days before they needed new batteries so glad I got the Amazon-cheap extra batteries too. This is the same one as on the home shopping networks, but cheaper at Amazon and free shipping with Prime.
on January 21, 2012
I purchased this set and a starter kit with the intention that the recipients would have their own hexbug and be able to share the playset. Unfortunately this kit only came with one Nanobug even though the description says two. I had to scramble last minute to find an affordable supplement that was also a different color from what I already had. I had purchased this for Christmas and the reviews saying that there was only one Nanobug included had not been posted yet otherwise I would have made different plans.

Beyond that, the kids were able to immediately figure out how to set the playset up and had a lot of run racing each other around the paths. The original batteries were almost completely drained with about 3 hours of play, which for the size of the bug seems a little weak. The bug still vibrated but did not have enough power to move anymore.
on February 26, 2013
My son bought this with money he saved, and at a good clearance price. Otherwise, I'd be pretty annoyed. He loves the nano sets, so as far as that goes, the toy is fun, and adding his tracks onto this worked fine. However the plastic started breaking within 2 weeks, and now I've super-glued it once, and the fold-down sides are completely off from the rest of the 'floor' area. I guess if this is a toy that your kid will set up and leave in one spot, it would be fine. But, I wouldn't count on it being durable enough to drag to Grandma's or the babysitter's house. I've contacted Hexbug before about other problems, and their customer service is awesome. So anyone that has trouble might have some luck there. But, we bought ours so cheaply, it's not really worth bothering hexbug over. All in all, I'd cautiously recommend it if your kid loves nanos and you can get a deal on this set. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $15 for it.