on March 21, 2010
I picked these up from Target. Let me tell you their prices, because some online ones (including, sadly Amazon, atm) are really, really off:

-Habitat: $30, included THREE hex arenas, THREE straight pieces, TWO curved ones, and, most importantly TWO nano bugs! Don't pay more than $30 for it, I've seen it on Amazon for nearly twice that.

-Starter set: $12, included ONE hex arena, TWO curved pieces, ONE nano bug.

-Single nano bug: $8.

I'd *highly* recommend the habitat set, it's the BEST value by far, assuming you don't get a horrible online price.

The starter set is not a bad deal, but it's not as much fun as the habitat.

The individual nano bugs are kind of expensive, and no way to start. Without SOME sort of habitat pieces, you're just chasing this thing around the room. But that may be fun too!

So.... what are these things?

I thought they were little robots. Turns out this is generally what HEXBUGs are, but they've been scaling them down to simpler and simpler things.

These things are completely dumb, no sensors at all. But the design is brilliant.

They have little curved rubber legs that don't move. They have an on switch. When you turn then on, they vibrate. That's it.

But that's all that's needed. They SHOOT across a flat surface, and when they hit a wall, they shoot off at at angle. They even right themselves if they are on their side or back. It's an elegant design. The result is something that looks and behaves amazingly similar to a cockroach, but simply consists of a vibrator (motor with weight), battery, and rubber legs. That's it!

The shapes of the case allows it to both bounce off of walls and right to themselves. They are unstoppable.

I don't know how long the battery lasts, but you can replace it.

My 2 year old LOVES them. He can easily turn them on or off, and he can't (short of immersing one in water) hurt them. He's given each of them names and attaches a lot of personality to them, he acts like they're pets. They are a good size for him, no moving parts to break. It's actually a brilliant little toy.

I kind of want to turn the habitat into a gambling game... roll a couple of them into a habitat (like dice) and first one to exit the open door wins. They are surprisingly entertaining.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 28, 2010
Once again, another seller on Amazon advertises the more expensive set and is selling the cheaper set. That's very dishonest, at best, but Amazon didn't publish my last review where I used stronger language. This is the third different company that I've seen selling it, so something fishy is going on, but the consistent thing is describing the more expensive set.

If it doesn't have a large ORANGE piece, then IT IS *NOT* THE BRIDGE BATTLE! The MSRP of the Bridge Battle Playset is $39.99. We finally had to buy it at Target to make sure we got the right thing because Amazon doesn't stand behind third-party sales the way they do their own products.

Once again, the Habitat set MSRP is $29.99 and is available locally for that price.

DO NOT BUY A BRIDGE BATTLE SET THAT DOESN'T HAVE AN ORANGE ***BATTLE BRIDGE***.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2010
$59! on sale for $30 at ToysRUs, regular price is $35, wow this is really expensive over priced even for Amazon. Check before you buy this item.....
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Got this for my 6 year-old. The habitat actually surprised me, I thought they are just cheap pieces of tubes and little hexagon arenas. They are cleverly thought out and well built. The hexagons have gates that you can close or open on 6 sides and you can interconnect them in so many ways.

My son's only complaint is that the pieces are somewhat difficult to engage and disengage. But once he got the hang of it, it was OK.

Comes with 2 hexabugs. It is more fun to have more than one hexabugs. We already have 1 green, and then 2 more that came with this set. Ours came with a blue and a rare black bug.

You can also enjoy the bugs even sans the habitat. They are so fun to release them on the wild. Let them run around the table or the hardwood floor. (They don't move as much on carpets). Just watch Youtube videos, they have tons of them. It is like a geek toy, your personal microbot.

The batteries are cheap if you search online. 20 pieces for a few bucks. Each bug uses only 1 battery and you will need a watch type screwdriver to replace it.
on July 29, 2010
I got this at target on sale for 20 bucks. It comes with 2 nano bugs 3 straight pieces 4 curved elements and 3 hexagonal pieces. It is better deal than the starter kit.you might want to get one more bug because 2 is fine but 3 would be better.I think 4 is too many for this sized habitat.Also this toy is fun for the whole family. IT is the only toy I own that my sister doesnt completely despise.My dad also thinks its cool. I would recommend this to anyone. it is so durable that you can drive it off a table and when its the ground it will flip itself upright and keep on going.
on January 24, 2011
I put this set together for my little nephew (3 years old) and he loved the little vibrating bugs. He quickly bored with it, as did I, when you realize that the "battle" is really just a matter of which bug will fall off the orange disc on its own accord. The bugs themselves seem fairly durable with high grade silicone for the body and a buff inner vibrator/battery compartment. The track snaps together fairly easily but the legs that hold up the upper levels are very wimpy and wouldn't last a solid play session with younger kids.

Apparently this set has two "ultra rare" bugs (the white and black one) that only larger sets come with so yay for adding to your kid's collection.

Do yourself a favor and tack on a large pack of button batteries to your order if you plan on playing with these for more than a day or two.
on December 27, 2010
This was my 6 year old son's favorite gift this year. It beat out a DSi XL Nintendo DSi XL Red Bundle with Mario Kart, a plethora of Ben 10, Legos, miscellaneous Star wars items, a few Iron Man items, Wii games/accessories, the new fully auto Nerf Nerf N-Strike Stampede ECS, Bakugans(?) including ColossusBakugan Dragonoid Colossus. He was really good after a move from Idaho to Michigan which included starting a new Montessori school.

Pros:
* Really cool how the Hex Bug Nano find their way around the tracks even when multiple tracks are combined.
* Hex bug Nano appear to be "smarter" than the toy really is which leads children image how it works
* Works seamlessly with other sets
* Online aspect to "educational" aspects which would deserve another star if not entirely separate from the hexbug. I really love this aspect, but I do not consider it directly part of the toy's star rating
* Fills the construction needs of the building blocks and combines it with the movement of train sets & hot wheels in addition to a touch of personality (Which desperately needs to be explored in my opinion!) like any good toy that lets you have a personal attachment based on imagination.

Cons:
* After extended periods Hex Bugs will crawl over each other on one way tracks when going opposite directions and be F R E E to roam.
* Hex bug batteries are expensive, however BULK watch batteries which work are dirt cheap about $7 per 100 batteries! AG13 357 LR44 L1154 A76 PX76A 303 D303 D357 - Pack of 100
* Only major pieces are available for individual purchase. Specialty items are unavailable at this time such as one way doors which help avoid collisions/escapes, spirals ramps, and legs for the elevated sections
* Gets loud with 5 on 5 and 6 on 6 on 6 battles

Sets used
Hex Bug 3D Elevation Habitat Set (Purchased at Toys "R" US)
Habitat Set Hexbug Nano Habitat Set
Starter Set Hexbug Nano Starter Set
Bridge Battle Set Hexbug Bridge Battle Set
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 26, 2010
I have two kids - a 2 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I purchased the Bridge Battle set through Woot as an afterthought, thinking it would be a cool toy-for-a-few-minutes (Harry Potter Wii was his "big gift" this year) and the price was good. I picked up an extra single Hexbog Nano at Walmart since it was only $8 and I could choose the color.

BOTH of my kids love this set. They have played with it nonstop since opening it yesterday morning. My son enjoys configuring and reconfiguring the habitat pieces and they both love playing with the bugs themselves. My daughter has no problem operating the tiny on/off switch on the bottom of the bug and since she's not the kind of kid who puts things in her mouth they really are quite safe for her to play with (supervised, of course) and practically indestructible with normal play. She has a great time "helping" them through the swinging doors on the battle bridge and talks to them as she picks them up when they fall over. They can get up themselves but she never gives them the chance, she is very nurturing to them and it's adorable.

My son of course thinks they're "totally cool and awesome!" I was very pleased and surprised to see how much both kids are enjoying this toy, now I need to go back to Walmart to pick up a pink nano for my girl!

My only complaint about this set is that some of the plastic bridge pieces seem slightly flimsy - as long as the kids take care of it it'll last a long time, but I could see something getting accidentally stepped on and broken. Also the legs that raise the pieces up are spindly so you have to ensure that they're well seated and you have enough of them supporting your structures. As a building toy this set falls short, but for the robot bug fun factor I give it five stars.
on October 11, 2010
This habitat is a great toy. The thing is, you play with it for a while, then you feel that you don't have enough. It is really fun to play with. This is a great purchas and I would definatly buy it again.
on December 27, 2013
This could be an awesome fun toy, if it comes with the right platforms, which ours did not! Turns out there are 2 different kinds of the white hexagonal platforms - one kind can be used to build elevated platforms, the other cannot because it does not have slots for the supports on the underside. The picture on Amazon and on the box show the right kind of platforms, but that's not what was in the box.

I'm not sure why they make this second kind of platform. It does come with completely removable walls, but I don't understand how that would be useful. As it is, the removable walls occupy the slots that would be used for the supports. So the supports could go in there, but then there are no walls! FAIL.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...