5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of fun!
Sometimes I get more excited about a toy than my kids. I saw this online and watched a lot of videos on YouTube. I could not help but to get myself one.

Published on November 28, 2009 by Nuknuk

3.0 out of 5 stars It Ran Away
Our grandchildren love these things. We bought several. Some were stepped on, and one ran away and hid under the dishwasher, never to be retrieved. They're altogether too much like real bugs for my taste, but kids enjoy them.
Published 14 months ago by Ellen E. Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of fun!, November 28, 2009
Nuknuk (Springfield, VA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hexbug Nano - Random Color (Toy)

The main mechanics in this toy is the vibrating motion. But that is not the amazing part, this toy moves like a real bug. It goes forward and turns depending on the terrain. No problem if it bumps into walls, it just turn and just keep on going and going. Even if you lay it on its back, it just picks up itself like a cat. It just won't run on carpet though. Battery included. Made in China.

There are so many creative things you can do. We built a Duplo obstacles with tunnels, and a labyrinth of puzzles. It just goes to every niche and nooks it can get where it feets bring him. If you put it on the floor, it just runs around everywhere, goes in and out of furniture. My 5-yr-old son even put it inside a box of cereal when I was not looking. I have to dig deep to find it as it burrowed itself into it. Tons of fun. My son now carries it everywhere like a real pet.

The feet and the upper part of the bug are made of rubber. It has 12 legs, 6 on each side. It looks very durable unless somebody intentionally steps on it like a roach. The lower part of the body where it houses a single AG13 button battery is made of hard plastic. The on and off switch is also located there. My son is playing with this almost 2 days nonstop and I am surprised that the battery still going strong. I already ordered a set of 20 batteries for less than three dollars from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Entertainment Value than Robots that cost 20 Times as Much!, January 28, 2010
G. Sims "Husker" (Nebraska, Home of the Huskers) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hexbug Nano - Random Color (Toy)
I am a teacher and in the summer I teach Robotics and I also run a Science Camp. Most of my purchases for the camp are more expensive items... things in the $50-$200 price range. I bought this on a whim thinking it might be a little fun. I truthfully didn't expect much from it. Around the same time, I bought a Wowwee Mr. Personality (MSRP $250), a Wowwee Tribot (MSRP $99), and a small Innovation First 6 legged walker (I forget the name of it - MSRP $14.99).

Out of all of these robots, the tiny, inexpensive ($8.15) bug gets the most play and the most attention. My students are in awe of it and we have had many discussions of how it is constructed and how it works.

I've dropped it several time and it always continues to run. If it is flipped on its backside it'll turn itself over in moments. The only place it struggles running it carpet. While it still vibrates, it does not move forward much when it makes its way to a carpeted surface.

At any rate it is one of about 20 different robots I own and it is both the cheapest and the best. I found a birthday gift for all of my nephews as well!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a dog toy but pretty entertaining if supervised, January 10, 2011
Length:: 0:46 Mins

I'm not in the target age range for this product :), but after seeing my brother's, I wish I'd gotten one for Christmas. Thankfully he let me and my puppy play with it. This is really more Tucker's review than mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridget's Review, December 1, 2009
This review is from: Hexbug Nano - Random Color (Toy)
The HEXBUG Nano is a super cool robotic toy that easily entertains both children and adults. These little robots are small but wickedly fast. My husband and I were pitting them against each other and I felt like a kid again. We were so engrossed in our competition that before I knew it, an hour had passed. It was fun to watch them and see how they react to different objects. I kept wishing that they would spring to life and start talking. Maybe I like the Transformers movies a little too much... I had a great time playing with these and I think they would make an excellent Christmas present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you don't like robots!, November 17, 2010
This review is from: Hexbug Nano - Random Color (Toy)
When I first heard of these I thought it was interesting that there was a prefab toy of a relatively unknown concept. Like some others, I thought it would be more useful or educational to make your own. HOWEVER- that was before I saw them live, with kids watching them. Little girls, toddlers, people who don't like robots unconditionally, squeal and laugh watching them. I have 2 girls, 3 and 7, and they love them.

These things are so cute I could die! They're pretty and they go like gangbusters on smooth, hard surfaces (I have hardwood floors). I've made my own bristlebots and yet I bought 14 (count 'em, 14) of these. For myself, a grown-up. My children ask me if they can play with my "bugs" nearly every day (they have their own, but I have more than they do). Just for the record, I don't like other toy robots like Zhu-Zhu pets and Tickle-Me Anythings; I find them creepy.

If you're totally horrified by the movement of insects, hexbug nanos may creep you out. I did show some to at least one adult who disliked it for that reason. I find it delightful myself. If you've ever watched ants eating crumbs off the sidewalk, you'll probably like these too. You would swear that these little machines are sniffing and exploring just from their random movement, which makes me wonder how much of real insect movement is random.

I'd suggest buying at least 2 because a good chunk of fun can be had by watching them push and struggle, sumo-like, through the narrow bridges that come with the sets. If you're strapped for cash, buy 2 bugs alone and put them in a sheet cake pan or other walled container with tunnels and barriers made of halved paper towel rolls or pencils or whatever. Little pom-poms or crumpled paper balls are also fun; they'll push them about.

Though I have 14, I only run 2-3 of them at a time now. When I ran them all at once in one of the big habitats, they pushed each other in the bridges so much that several fell out and ran under the bed, laundry baskets, were picked up by the cat who ran off with it, etc. It's too many to watch at once, and the walls in the habitats are too low to contain so many.

Though it's not stretchy, the soft rubbery shell and legs could probably be torn or bitten off by the dedicated vandal. I've had to instruct my 3-year old not to pull or squash them too hard or the legs would deform, which would probably alter the movement. They're pretty tough though; neither the 3-year old nor the cat have wrecked them yet.

Finally, don't buy the hexbot-brand replacement batteries. It's much cheaper to find a multi pack of AG13 button cell batteries online.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty slick little idea, attractive design, but a bit pricey, July 16, 2010
This review is from: Hexbug Nano - Random Color (Toy)
I've noticed the Hexbugs every time I visit my local Radio Shack. On the last visit, I noticed the Nano. I'm a sucker for small robots (I collect all kinds), so I decided to do some research on the Nano to see just what it was. After watching a half dozen Youtube videos, I was sold. Went back, picked one up.

The Nano seems to me a little pricey for what it is: a small motor trapped in a plastic housing with rubber feet. However, it performs remarkably well to be SO simple. The guys at work have gotten a good laugh out of it. It really reminds me of a cockroach skittering across the floor (but a bit slower, thank goodness). The little thing takes off running, changing directions at random, and popping itself back upright should an obstacle cause it to fall over. Again, considering it'd just a spinning motor with rubber bumpers, that's a pretty impressive trick for something with ZERO external moving parts. I made the mistake of letting it wander into a big pile of stuff while showing it off, and almost never got it back out... it was like trying to catch a real bug!

Unless you tear off a few legs, the Nano seems like it should be nigh indestructible. It's lightweight enough that dropping it shouldn't hurt it, especially since the outer shell is rubberized. I haven't let mine run amok very long, so I can't say how long the battery life is going to be.

A neat thing I haven't seen anyone mention is the online registration. [...] has a really cool website set up just for the Nanos where you can sign in and register your bug. There are games to participate in (haven't tried them yet), and a virtual Nano "display case" that keeps track of the Nanos you own. Pretty neat for a kid that wants to turn Nano collector (which is kinda' the point, since there are multiple series with different colors and markings).

I'm already tempted to go back and buy a second one. Bring the price down to $5 a pop, and I'd say it's a 5 star toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun toys, but best with the habitat construction pieces..., March 21, 2010
gilbert (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hexbug Nano - Random Color (Toy)
I picked these up from Target. Let me tell you their prices, because some online ones (including, sadly Amazon, atm) are really, really off:

-Habitat: $30, included THREE hex arenas, THREE straight pieces, TWO curved ones, and, most importantly TWO nano bugs! Don't pay more than $30 for it, I've seen it on Amazon for nearly twice that.

-Starter set: $12, included ONE hex arena, TWO curved pieces, ONE nano bug.

-Single nano bug: $8.

I'd *highly* recommend the habitat set, it's the BEST value by far, assuming you don't get a horrible online price.

The starter set is not a bad deal, but it's not as much fun as the habitat.

The individual nano bugs are kind of expensive, and no way to start. Without SOME sort of habitat pieces, you're just chasing this thing around the room. But that may be fun too!

So.... what are these things?

I thought they were little robots. Turns out this is generally what HEXBUGs are, but they've been scaling them down to simpler and simpler things.

These things are completely dumb, no sensors at all. But the design is brilliant.

They have little curved rubber legs that don't move. They have an on switch. When you turn then on, they vibrate. That's it.

But that's all that's needed. They SHOOT across a flat surface, and when they hit a wall, they shoot off at at angle. They even right themselves if they are on their side or back. It's an elegant design. The result is something that looks and behaves amazingly similar to a cockroach, but simply consists of a vibrator (motor with weight), battery, and rubber legs. That's it!

The shapes of the case allows it to both bounce off of walls and right to themselves. They are unstoppable.

I don't know how long the battery lasts, but you can replace it.

My 2 year old LOVES them. He can easily turn them on or off, and he can't (short of immersing one in water) hurt them. He's given each of them names and attaches a lot of personality to them, he acts like they're pets. They are a good size for him, no moving parts to break. It's actually a brilliant little toy.

I kind of want to turn the habitat into a gambling game... roll a couple of them into a habitat (like dice) and first one to exit the open door wins. They are surprisingly entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST Electronic Toy for Cats EVER!!, December 14, 2009
This review is from: Hexbug Nano - Random Color (Toy)
We bought two of these on a whim to see if our four cats would like them. There's nothing for them to bite off or ingest, they're too large for them to swallow, and I was intrigued. We chose red because cats see red as black, like a real bug. I opened up the package and turned the little thing on in my palm, and it immediately began vibrating like a buzzing cicada! I dropped it onto the hard floor and the cats came running and started chasing it around, trying to figure it out. They batted at it, it flipped, clickety-clattered, jittered, righted itself, and sped off all over the place. The cats liked it so much they even blocked the kitchen closet door so it couldn't get under there and "escape!" We put them away after 15 minutes, and the cats started begging for them again a short while later. They love it! The price can vary a little depending on where you buy it, and you can get batteries for them pretty easily. Over the years I've bought electronic toys for our cats for more money than this little gadget, but none of them have ever held our cats' attention and they've been too annoying to us to keep them on for long. This one is definitely a winner! This is also good if your cat is bored or overweight and could use some fun and stimulating exercise, but keep it to about 15 minutes or they could overdo it since this thing is so fascinating to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Has a Mind of It's Own, June 8, 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Hexbug Nano - Random Color (Toy)
They're really fun, my friend gave me one today and it is awesome. They have a mind of they're own, though. When it turns over, it flips right back up. It's so funny watching them, too. My friend's dog was watching it and sniffing it and going like, "What?" Though I advise you not to use it near a fridge. Because I did and it roamed around there for around 5 minutes until I dug though the dust to get it back. They can go on any flat surface, though it doesn't go very fast on carpets. And if you have a very still arm, it'll even run around on your arm. If you're wondering how it turns, it turns randomly every few seconds. I recommend this toy for anyone who wants to have a little robot pet, a small companion, or anything else.

5 STARS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little toys... hours and hours of fun!, May 22, 2010
Jane Gleason (Longmont, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hexbug Nano - Random Color (Toy)
I got one of these for my 6 year old son but also love them myself. He has Zhu-Zhu pets he got for christmas. Played with those for an hour and never since. But this little Nano Hexbug he wouldn't put down at all the first day we got it! I mean seriously 8-10 hours of playing with this little thing!!! We didn't buy it one of those habitats... instead we whipped out our leggos and built one for it. Serious fun. Next thing I know I myself HAVE TO HAVE more! Me a grown mom. We love these things and two months later the frenzy of all day play is gone but when we do bring them out we still play for a few hours at a time. Love them, love them, love them. And since they rely on a tiny little battery we figured they would just chew threw them, but no... the first day we ran all day on one battery. By the end of the day we could tell this little guy was getting tired, but these batteries can be obtained at Wal-Mart for $5 for a three pack. All in all I highly recommend these little guys. And am even contemplating their company's fund raising options you can view on their web site ([...]) for our elementary school.

Hexbug Nano - Random Color
Hexbug Nano - Random Color by Innovation First Labs, Inc.
$12.99 $7.93